PDA

View Full Version : back packs and rides

WDW&MK
08-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Hello,
We are contemplating using a backpack for the first time for our next trip. Any issues with bringing one on any of the rides?
thanks!
Kari

Pally
08-09-2015, 08:06 PM
When you say backpack I am conjuring up a picture in my mind that it is a large one. Don't use a large one. When we go we all use very small backpacks. I have a small mini lug but unfortunately it is now discontinued. The small ones we use have never been a problem on the rides. They fit into the small mesh holders. One year we used a larger back pack and it was awful. Lesson learned. Keep it small no problem. :mickey:

Pirate Granny
08-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Once the strollers were no longer needed (as the pack mule), we went to a one should large backpack...I put it down by my feet, never an issue...the bottom carries either ponchos or jackets, the main part for our odds and ends...maybe lunches next trip.

tjstrike
08-09-2015, 10:16 PM
We carry a full size backpack with us all the time. It's big enough to hold 5 adult ponchos, snacks, gum, keys, etc...

Arielfan98
08-09-2015, 10:35 PM
The only ride I can think of off the top my head that was even tight with a small bag was Space Mountain. There's barely enough room for my legs and I'm 5'2!

chefmickey3
08-10-2015, 07:10 AM
We use a large backpack that holds our ponchos, about 5 Gatorades/waters, and small items. It works well for us. One of us holds it on the rides. We have not had a problem on the coasters. We have a smaller one but we like to bring plenty of drinks when we travel in the summer.

SurferStitch
08-10-2015, 12:07 PM
When you say backpack I am conjuring up a picture in my mind that it is a large one. Don't use a large one. When we go we all use very small backpacks. I have a small mini lug but unfortunately it is now discontinued. The small ones we use have never been a problem on the rides. They fit into the small mesh holders. One year we used a larger back pack and it was awful. Lesson learned. Keep it small no problem. :mickey:

I have to agree here. I see so many people (well, dads/husbands) lugging huge backpacks around, and I feel sorry for them. They look hot, heavy and cumbersome. I've seen a lot of sweaty backs when they take them off, and it just looks so uncomfortable.

Most rides can accommodate a regular backpack if you put it between your feet, but RnRC, SM, and other rides with smaller seating compartments can make it tight.

I take a very small Stitch plush backpack (kid's type), and DH either carries nothing, or a very small camera bag (which he sometimes complains is too much). My backpack holds a very small wallet (enough to hold ID, a couple cards, and a bit of cash), lipstick, lip gloss, a compact, small hand sanitizer, a couple tissues, and that's about it. If I need a drink, I'll buy one. If I want a snack, I'll buy one. I usually take a bottle of water into the park with me, but as soon as it's empty, I chuck it.

Keep it small, keep it simple (you're in a park, not crossing the Sahara), and you'll be a lot happier.

WDW&MK
08-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info!! I appreciate all of the suggestions. I had been using a crossbody bag that is WDW with Mickey Mouse on it (which was a perfect size), but the straps are so rough they are ruining my tops - so had to come up with other ideas. We don't have lots to carry but do need to have room for wallet, glucose meter, ponchos, 1 cell phone, reading glasses, maybe a small camera and a couple other misc. items. I want to be hands free, so it's got to be a crossbody or a backpack or something similar - otherwise I may end up leaving it somewhere.
Thank you!
Kari

kakn7294
08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
I have taken a larger backpack but found that I was the one carrying all of the stuff which can quickly get quite heavy. We now divide it up so that everyone is carrying their own things in either a crossbody bag, small backpack, or drawstring backpack. When the kids were smaller, they had fanny packs for their essentials (autograph books, pens, and small items that they just couldn't live without) and we divided up their other stuff so that one person wasn't carrying everything.

g8rgirl29
08-10-2015, 06:08 PM
We like the Eddie Bauer sling bags, they are smaller and quite light. They have changed the design since we bought ours but they are still much smaller than a back pack.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Keep it small, keep it simple (you're in a park, not crossing the Sahara), and you'll be a lot happier.

LOL!! I totally agree. Our park styles sound similar.

Also from a fellow guest point of view, most people with backpacks seems to forget that they are wider and longer. So they tend to wipe out people when turning, stopping and in lines. Although I have to admit I love watching them try to cut under the ropes in a line :funny:

texas211
08-12-2015, 07:47 PM
I guess it depends on how big. I've brought large geiggerig water bladder bags, no problem. I've brought some mid sized tactical bags. The only real issue, was the loose straps making it harder to get in and out of areas.

I used a fanny pack that had shoulder straps too. You can fit lot of stuff in their and have a little more carrying convenience.

Maddie
08-13-2015, 09:21 AM
I always put it on the floor on the rides and just stick one leg through each strap. It hasn't been an issue.

SurferStitch
08-13-2015, 11:46 AM
LOL!! I totally agree. Our park styles sound similar.

Also from a fellow guest point of view, most people with backpacks seems to forget that they are wider and longer. So they tend to wipe out people when turning, stopping and in lines. Although I have to admit I love watching them try to cut under the ropes in a line :funny:

Yes!! I forgot about that, but I've seen people (especially kids) get clocked by people who don't realize how much a large backpack projects out from the body. I've been a victim myself a couple times, without so much as a "sorry" from the person.

brownie
08-13-2015, 05:49 PM
I use a Jansport Agave backpack. It has a 32 liter capacity. I've not had a problem with taking it with me on any ride, even when it's filled pretty full. Space Mountain was a little snug but it still wasn't a problem. As long as you don't use a day pack that's more of a weekend hiker size, you shouldn't have any problems.

WDW&MK
08-13-2015, 08:36 PM
We have the black and silver mickey back pack that was one of those buy $x and you can buy the back pack for $15 or something like that. We won't be filling it very full, so maybe it will work ok. Sounds like several of you have something similar.
Thanks!!!
Kari