PDA

View Full Version : Two colleges, two incorrect tuition bills

VWL Mom
07-30-2015, 02:21 PM
I am so aggravated right now I just need to vent.

DS24 is completing his masters in December and I was getting ready to pay is final tuition bill :yay: I thought it seemed high and realized they didn't post his award monies. I call them and they say they need something signed, they make him an appointment for 3P yesterday. He leaves work to drive there and they're closed (3 hours round trip). I get them back on the phone because the call center is still open and they get permission to fax the form. Okay, did that....monies are still not there and now one of his courses is missing too.

DS20 returning to his sophomore year. He comes downstairs and tells me to add up his bill because his roommates is wrong. I humor him thinking how can a computerized statement be wrong.....sure enough, addition error of $735.19. Well evidently it was school wide because I can't even get through to that office.

It's not supposed to be this hard. :(

AgentC
07-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Yuck! That stinks. I hope it is worked out soon.

faline
07-30-2015, 05:57 PM
Oh, Lynn!! Such aggravation!!! Hope you get it all sorted out soon!!!

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
07-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Yikes! I am going to look at my daughter's bill right now.

NJGIRL
07-30-2015, 08:41 PM
That stinks!....I know because I go through this every year with my sons high school tuition. I told my husband "this is why I get nothing done all day. I am consistently fixing things that should have been done right in the first place". I find many people just don't care and don't listen when you talk to them.

Arielfan98
07-31-2015, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately this is a reality I know all too well...Starting my first year of college in three weeks and they're charging us for health insurance we already have :mad: We sent in a waiver showing we have our own health insurance...yet the bill still charges us ugh ...

missymouseworld
07-31-2015, 07:24 AM
...Starting my first year of college in three weeks and they're charging us for health insurance we already have :mad: ...

Thanks for reminding me....after reading this thread I also checked our DS last year (:thumbsup:) tuition and the numbers we have never jive with their numbers. It is something you have to be on top of, because things can always be overlooked. He has been a commuter for the past 4 years, and one year they charged him as a resident.

Good luck and enjoy your first year!

VWL Mom
07-31-2015, 07:54 AM
I find many people just don't care and don't listen when you talk to them.
And therein lies the problem!

Unfortunately this is a reality I know all too well...Starting my first year of college in three weeks and they're charging us for health insurance we already have :mad: We sent in a waiver showing we have our own health insurance...yet the bill still charges us ugh ...
The whole insurance waiver process is ridiculous and IMO they are hoping you miss it.
That aside, best of luck as you enter the next chapter of your life, enjoy.

He has been a commuter for the past 4 years, and one year they charged him as a resident.

I do give them the once over and complain about add on fees, check there's no meal plan, etc but never thought I had to sit down and add up the charges to make sure the total was correct. Lesson learned.

I guess I need to sign off now since fun and games round 4 starts in 30 minutes :(

TheVBs
07-31-2015, 11:27 AM
That is awful! I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I hope you get it resolved quickly. These things can cause so much anxiety, especially if you feel that someone doesn't care about fixing your problem.

Ed
08-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Apparently the folks preparing the bills were not math majors. :shrug:

Tink1
08-04-2015, 02:21 PM
When my son was in college, he did a few concurrent semesters in Japan. His bill was as if he was attending here, but he was there. Not a big deal since I could go online to pay it (college was 6 hrs from home). Luckily, he had signed the paperwork before he left that I could access his financial info and grades etc.

Went online at the start of the second semester he was in Japan and paid the bill in full.Since he was not dorming in Japan this semester, they told me to deduct the dorm and meal plan fees which I did, with a calculator, and know the numbers were correct.

Two months later I rec'd a bill in the mail for 5 cents. Yes, FIVE CENTS. If not paid he would not be able to register for the next semester.

Called the college and asked if they would prefer I write a check or just tape a nickle to the bill and mail it. The woman that answered the phone thankfully had a sense of humor and tried to wipe it out. Program would not allow it.

She asked me to have my son walk over and drop a nickle off in the office. Explained to her that he was in Japan and although he may think that he could walk on water, that it really wasn't the case. LOL

Poor woman opened her wallet and paid off my sons tuition.

At graduation I went to the office to thank her and gave her back a dime - The nickle plus interest.

Nanc

faline
08-04-2015, 07:28 PM
When my son was in college, he did a few concurrent semesters in Japan. His bill was as if he was attending here, but he was there. Not a big deal since I could go online to pay it (college was 6 hrs from home). Luckily, he had signed the paperwork before he left that I could access his financial info and grades etc.

Went online at the start of the second semester he was in Japan and paid the bill in full.Since he was not dorming in Japan this semester, they told me to deduct the dorm and meal plan fees which I did, with a calculator, and know the numbers were correct.

Two months later I rec'd a bill in the mail for 5 cents. Yes, FIVE CENTS. If not paid he would not be able to register for the next semester.

Called the college and asked if they would prefer I write a check or just tape a nickle to the bill and mail it. The woman that answered the phone thankfully had a sense of humor and tried to wipe it out. Program would not allow it.

She asked me to have my son walk over and drop a nickle off in the office. Explained to her that he was in Japan and although he may think that he could walk on water, that it really wasn't the case. LOL

Poor woman opened her wallet and paid off my sons tuition.

At graduation I went to the office to thank her and gave her back a dime - The nickle plus interest.

Nanc

Great story!! It seems things haven't changed much. I remember having to run to the bank to get a payment to my daughter's college after getting a panicked call from her. She had been told she could not sign up for any of her classes unless her bill was paid in full - that day!!! But a nickel??? Really???!!!!

Arielfan98
08-07-2015, 11:52 PM
Thank you for the good luck wishes everyone and once again good luck to all the families out there dealing with college right now; sending you all my pixie dust! :pixie:

SBETigg
08-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Yep. Lots of aggravation from tuition billing here, on both kids tuition bills and my own years ago. I don't know why it has to be so hard to get the billing right and keep all the details straight, but apparently it is.

garymacd
08-13-2015, 06:21 PM
I guess I should get out my tuition statements and check them over. Hope I don't find a mistake. I can't imagine them trying to sort out 40 years of interest!