PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Trip Report - Day 4 HS & Luau

jans2kids
07-27-2015, 07:59 AM
So after doing evening SWW events last night, today we would tackle it from park opening. All 3 days of SWW the park was opening at 8:00 and we had heard that they start to let you in by 7:45. We were off to the bus stop a little after 7 and on the bus making the loop through CB when Bryan realized he did not have his magic band. So off the bus Janice & him got and they headed back to the room while Andrew and I headed to HS. We were let in by 7:45 and got to watch the storm troopers opening skit on Hollywood Blvd. We thought it was very funny. Then we headed back to Mickey Ave where the were giving away posters to AP holders. At that point Bryan texted they were in the park and they met up with us and picked up their posters. Of course when they got back to the bus stop they had a long wait.
We headed back to see B&TB show at 9 as they were only showing 2 shows that day since they would be using the theater for SW shows later. Next was Tot and then breakfast at Starring Rolls. Starbucks across the street has no seating so they really need to add more seating between these 2 places. Then after a ride on TSM it was time for the Celebrity Motorcade. Bryan fought his way through the crowd to be able to get a better view and pictures, while Janice and I hung out behind the stage and got a few good pictures as they exited the stage. Andrew did not care so he went to see Walt's Dream.
After we all met up again we headed into the GMR. There were a few changes since last year. The pre show movies had changed and had a new narrator and also the ride now was a combination of a recorded narrator and the live person doing the same skit as before. The sound quality of the recorded part during the ride was very hard to hear. The ending movie sequence had also changed to include more Turner classic movies.
We had been to SWW 10 years ago and took may character pictures with us so this year the only pictures we wanted with us in them was with the Disney characters dressed in SW costumes. So we got in line to get pictures with Jedi Mickey and Princess Leia Minnie, but there was a chance by the time you get to the front it could be Darth Vader Goofy and Storm trooper Donald. Once in line it started to rain so they went inside, we waited it out 15 minutes and they came back out. So by the time it was our turn it was Donald & Goofy. We got pictures with them & then got back in line. They were switching out every 12-15 minutes and just when we thought we were in line in the right place to get Mickey & Minnie they brought Donald & Goofy twice in a row. After some tense moments we were lucky, Mickey & Minnie came out a few groups before it was our turn.
In need of cooling off we ate lunch at the Backlot Express. After that we split again with Janice & Andrew heading back to CB to rest while Bryan and I wanted to see The Stars of the Saga (3:00pm) hosted by James Arnold Taylor and An Ewoks Tale with Warrick Davis (5:15pm) at the Theater of the Stars. FP's for both shows were gone weeks in advance so an hour before each of the shows we got in the standby line. We were able to get into both shows, both times sitting about 10 rows from the top and both were very entertaining. The Storm troopers preshow before Stars of the Sag was very funny.
Tonight we are doing the Spirit of Aloha Dinner show. We had made ADR's for category 1 seats 90 days in advance for the 8:00 show because the TIW card was not good for the earlier show and I had read that the earlier you check in at the Poly the better chance you have of getting a good seat, but when you check in they have already assigned your seats so it must go by when you make your ADR's.
Since Bryan and I were at HS and did not have time to go back and change, we were going to meet Janice & Andrew in the Poly lobby and they were going to bring us clothes to change. We waited 30 minutes to get a bus from HS to MK and we arrived there the same time as Janice & Andrew. It was EMH night at the MK and we were going back there after the luau so Bryan & I headed in to get a FP from the kiosk for later while they took the Monorail to the Poly. We had to walk all the way back to Stitch to find a kiosk, got a FP for JC for later and then headed to the monorail and met up with them in the Poly lobby. We were there 45 minutes early so we had time to change and check in and relax in the Great Ceremonial House. Since we had to pay in full when we made the ADR's we had to get a refund back for the 20% discount for using the TIW card. I had to wait for a few other people doing the same but they took care of this with no problem.
They start you off with a family picture taken by the photopass photographer and then you line up to be seated. Our table was front row right in the middle of the stage, so as I said above make ADR's early. Your server takes your drink order right away and begins bringing out the food. One platter of bread, salads, rice and another platter with the pulled pork, ribs and chicken. I know the show is not highly rated by a lot of people but the food is good and they keep bringing all you want and the show is okay. Of course they save the best for last and that is the fire dancing.
After the show we headed back inside the Poly, up to the monorail platform and over to the MK. As we were walking down the ramp the Electrical Water Pageant in the Seven Seas Lagoon was going by so we stopped to watch that before entering the MK. We used our FP for JC and had a very funny skipper. They say that the later you go at night the better the jokes get. Then if was over to Frontierland where we found an empty spot to watch the Main Street Electrical Parade. We then were able to ride HM, Tea Cups and Buzz and even though the park was open till 2 we only made it until 12:30. We were able to get on the first bus that came and soon we were back at the CB and asleep.
Tomorrow will be Epcot with more unplanned HS for the last night of Star Wars Weekend.

faline
07-27-2015, 08:49 AM
The Star Wars events sounds like they were fun. Glad you were able to finally catch Mickey & Minnie in their Star Wars outfits!!

LandFan
07-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Interesting to hear your thoughts on the luau. DH is trying to get me to do it again on the 4th of July next summer as it worked out well for us back in 2003 on the 4th - the stop the show and let us walk out on the beach and watch the fireworks and then come back in and finish the show. I wasn't that impressed last time though because I remember when it was the original and really good show. Decisions Decisions...

hauntedmansiongirl
08-09-2015, 04:22 AM
I'm amazed at how much you pack into your days! You've imspired me to get up earlier! We usually sleep until 10am and take our time! :mickey: