PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair and certain rides

momof3+twins
07-18-2015, 11:12 AM
How does it work with a wheelchair and steps in a line....TSM is an example. Is there a way around this. My son does not want to experience the rides in a wheelchair. Can he transfer even on rides that do have the ability to ride in the wheelchair? I hope this makes sense:mickey:

faline
07-18-2015, 02:31 PM
I know there is a separate entrance for Toy Story Mania that bypasses the staircases.

Yes, if your son has the ability to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride, he can certainly do that. If you need to transfer him, you can do that; however, I know that cast members are not allowed to assist people to transfer from chairs to the ride so the person either needs to be able to transfer themselves or be with someone who can assist in the transfer.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Yes, any ride with steps in the line (such as TSMM, or Splash) has a "split-off" point, where wheelchairs go an alternative way onto the ride. When you get to the loading area, for the rides that can take a wheelchair, the CM will ask if you want to transfer or stay in the chair.

We did two trips with DD in a wheelchair. The one before her surgery, she could transfer, the one after she couldn't. Both were easy, and we had almost no issues at any ride (Buzz Lightyear being the only exception). The CM's will let you know where to go, and he will always have the choice to transfer or ride in his chair.

There are just a couple of rides that aren't as accessible: Peter Pan, and the PeopleMover, for both you have to be able to walk, and use a moving walkway.

Haunted Mansion can sometimes be a tricky one too, but we had no issues with them stopping the ride, and us helping DD to transfer.

momof3+twins
07-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks! It eases my mind.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Glad to be of help!

If you have any specific questions about any rides, just let us know. Disney really does make travelling with wheels as easy as possible.

Disney4us2
07-20-2015, 08:53 AM
At Jungle Cruise and Thunder Mountain ( MK), you go to the handicap entrance(exit of thunder mountain ) and the CM will give you a return time FP. Looks like the old paper ones. At the Tea Cups just go to the entrance and the CM will let you know where to wait. Don't know about the others at MK. At TSMM, you can use either Stand by line or have a FP. Once you get your glasses and get to the turnstile the CM will have you go to the right ( up the ramp) where they load wheelchairs, ECV etc.

momof3+twins
07-24-2015, 07:41 AM
I wasn't planning on getting a DAS card. Will they still give me a return time for BTMR? I have a FP+ for that and I am wondering if it will be wasted. From what I understood...the DAS card was needed for a return time. But, I could be wrong. My son is able to walk but tires out and can't stand in lines, that's why we have to bring the chair in the line but I thought that the DAS card was more for someone that had another reason they couldn't be in in line.

faline
07-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Here's some additional information (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/) you might find helpful.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-25-2015, 06:41 PM
I wasn't planning on getting a DAS card. Will they still give me a return time for BTMR? I have a FP+ for that and I am wondering if it will be wasted. From what I understood...the DAS card was needed for a return time. But, I could be wrong. My son is able to walk but tires out and can't stand in lines, that's why we have to bring the chair in the line but I thought that the DAS card was more for someone that had another reason they couldn't be in in line.

You are exactly correct! The DAS is to provide an alternate waiting area, so it isn't given out for those with mobility needs.

They might still give you a return time for BTMR. I've had it go both ways, I've gotten a return time, and been allowed right on. If it is something you want to be sure to do, use the FP+, and then you can get a return time if you'd like to go again.