PDA

View Full Version : $3 Billion Will Allow Star Wars, Pixar & Indiana Jones Overhaul of DHS

Ian
07-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Courtesy Billy Donnelly July 2, 2015
Original Link: http://thisisinfamous.com/3-billion-allow-star-wars-pixar-and-indiana-jones-to-overhaul-disneys-hollywood-studios-exclusive/

Say goodbye to the Disney’s Hollywood Studios you have come to love over the years, and get ready to welcome with open arms the biggest theme park expansion Disney has ever set out to do. Details of Disney’s Hollywood Adventure are set to be rolled out at this year’s D23 Expo in Anaheim come August, but we’ve got the exclusive on some of the secrets The Mouse was trying to keep under wraps until then.

With the attention of geeks centered on what comes out of San Diego a short time from now at the 2015 edition of Comic-Con, there have been some major developments swirling beneath the radar as it pertains to Disney. The Mouse is going to have a huge presence at the event, pulling back the curtain on a great deal of STAR WARS content to whip the fans into a frenzy for the weekend, but for those who don’t just want to watch the things they love, but experience them as well, the enthusiasm will reach a much higher level when they learn of the pilgrimage to Orlando, Florida, they’ll have to make in the near future.

Per our reliable source Uncle Walt, Disney’s board has approved $3 billion for a massive overhaul of the Studios park, complete with rebranding to better reflect the shift away from how movies are made to more how they live and breathe inside of us. Along with that money, we’ll be seeing the park dominated by STAR WARS, Pixar and Indiana Jones as a great deal of the park’s older attractions are put out to pasture and about six new ones are ushered in.

Let’s start with what goes… Basically everything. It’d be easier to list what is going to be sticking around, as that list is much shorter, so here you go – The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania and the Great Movie Ride. If an attraction is not in that company, it’s not going to last. And yes, that even includes Muppet Vision 3D and the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, with things like the Magic of Disney Animation already confirmed to be on the cutting room floor.

But fear not, Disney lovers. Not all change is bad. What is in the works is something that should inject some new energy into the park, with two new STAR WARS attractions tapped to be in the works, including a Dagobah centerpiece for where Echo Lake and Gertie the Dinosaur currently reside. Details on what those attractions will be have managed to escape me for now, but, with STAR TOURS and the Jedi Training Academy, which I hear will be relocating indoors to an existing building, already in place, you’re looking at four STAR WARS attractions on the ground inside the park, not to mention the possibilities for dining and shopping experiences that would mimic what you’d encounter in that galaxy far, far away.

Indiana Jones will not be staying away from Hollywood Adventure for too long. He just won’t be doing it in a stunt capacity with the rumors of the long-standing show closing up shop finally coming true. However, an updated version of the Indiana Jones Adventure that can be found in Disneyland in Anaheim, CA, will be breaking ground in Florida finally. So there’s that to look forward to.

As for Pixar’s presence, Pixar Place will continue to grow, with three new attractions being added to the mix, and that doesn’t even count the expansion of Toy Story Mania that is currently in the works. In fact, sources tell me that construction may already be underway, hidden from public view where the Studio Backlot Tour used to exist. That would make the time from announcement to completion feel much shorter, a strategy Universal has successfully employed in recent years for their theme parks.

Now the time frame for all of this to be completed is a bit of a mystery. Disney is well aware that the park remains popular, and they’d like to keep guests coming through the turnstiles as they work through this period of transition. As a result, you’re not just going to see each of the rides and shows set to go closing their doors all at once. Disney will be moving through in waves, knowing that a handful of rides aren’t going to be enough to satisfy their crowds. So you’ll see a few things close down in order to make way for the new attractions, and, as those come along in the process, others will then start shuttering up for the new construction.

Once again, I’ve been told all of this will be revealed at D23 in greater detail and with many more specifics, but at least for now you have the blueprint for what The Mouse has planned for the next few years in Orlando.

Oh, and that doesn’t even include the new nighttime show being lined up for EPCOT to replace Illuminations or the new attraction that will be kicking Journey Into Imagination to the curb.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.

disneymom15
07-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Can't wait to hear what else is coming. Thanks for the update.

dnickels
07-03-2015, 12:21 PM
If true this would be great! Anything that moves towards the money being invested in actual rides / attractions / shows rather than a ticket on our wrist is the kind of thing that a theme park needs to do in order to keep people coming back. Fingers crossed this will actually get done.

VWL Mom
07-03-2015, 12:48 PM
If an attraction is not in that company, it’s not going to last. And yes, that even includes Muppet Vision 3D ...

:sad:

Ian
07-03-2015, 12:52 PM
I'll miss Muppet Vision simply for the nostalgia factor, but let's be real ... that attraction is SO dated from a technology perspective that it's to the point where it interferes with your enjoyment of it.

If, in fact, this is a $3 billion project that basically means they're building a whole new park. Very significant.

Fangorn
07-03-2015, 01:17 PM
If, in fact, this is a $3 billion project that basically means they're building a whole new park. Very significant.

True - very significant. And overdue.

So we have $1Billion "ear"marked for DLR and $3Billion for Studios/Hollywood Adventure. As long as we're on a spending spree, how about throwing in an extra Billion or two and give Epcot some significant love? It needs more than just a warm hug. Although I'll gladly accept the replacement of Journey into (the lack of) Imagination as a start.

Steve

DonaldDuck1117
07-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Just read this on another site as well. Hoping all the rumors turn out to be true and Disney does it right. If they do the robots Studios might even challenge MK for attendance. Challenge, I said. :number1:

Sylvia
07-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Many attractions that are favorites of many guests will disappear. Change may not always be good if it destroys so much of what is important to so many guests.:confused:

Altair
07-03-2015, 01:38 PM
How long to complete, 10 to 15 years? They might as well just shut down the park and finish as quickly as possible.

LittleDreamer
07-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Since they have no desire to close the park I wonder if they are going to do this in two phases or try to one shot it. I could imagine right side (Pixar) going first. Close LMA and construction. Then left size possibly closing Muppets and Indy and build over that.

Disney Doll
07-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Bring on the change! I grew up when this park made it's debut, and I'm now 35. That's a long time and so many of these attractions have not stood the test of time. This is awesome as far as I am concerned.

Fangorn
07-03-2015, 03:13 PM
They could easily do it in one fell swoop - if they really wanted to. And without actually closing the park. The four attractions mentioned that are staying (assuming that's true) are all in the 'core' of the park. TOT and RNR (along with Fantasmic) are all on Sunset Blvd. GMR and TSMM are close to each other in the center of the park. They could keep Hollywood Blvd, the main hub (at least most of it), Sunset Blvd and the access to TSMM open. Everything else is laid out in a giant horseshoe around this core. Close off the Eastern side of the hub (Indy/Star Tours) and close off Animation Courtyard on the West. You're left with a much smaller active park, but one that contains all the principal attractions. Leaving them to do whatever they want with the remaining 65-70% of the existing park land. Even more it they actually expand the overall footprint.

Whether they will do something like that or not, is another question. I've seen far too many major projects - construction, implementation, etc, take far longer than necessary because management didn't have the guts to "inconvenience" people for 2 years. Instead, they "do it in stages" and in the long run spend more money and "inconvenience" people for 5 years. Most of us learned as children that the best thing is to just rip off the Band-Aid quickly. Painful, but short lived.

I'm hoping, that with the layout of Studios, they'll see the wisdom of getting it all done quickly.

Steve

Tekneek
07-03-2015, 03:27 PM
I am glad they are doing something with all this money. I cannot say that I am immediately excited about what will come, but I'll have an open mind about it. For me, personally, dumping The Muppets completely will make it a challenge for me to come back. However much I like Star Wars, I like The Muppets about 2 or 3 times as much.

At the end of the day, the key is putting in compelling experiences that challenge the guests a little bit (doing more than copying attractions from other parks or feeding them Frozen at every turn - aka hitting the easy button) and will be maintained as if it just opened (do not ever pull a disco Yeti again) until the day they close for good. Dumping in attractions from other parks may be cost effective in a way, as many guests don't go to the other parks and do not care about the details, but Disney should aim higher.

$3 billion sounds like a lot, but I'm only cautiously optimistic. If it is true that they will simply copy the Indiana Jones attraction from Disneyland, that's not very impressive. I had hoped we had moved beyond simply copying attractions.

Wilderness guy
07-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Add me to the list of those glad to see this. Hollywood Studios has always been my least favorite park - we could do all we wanted to do is half a day or less. I'll be sad to see the Muppets go. Yes, there is the nostalgia, but from a guest perspective, the 3-D technology was actually better (to my eyes) than most of the other 3-D attractions. That said, I welcome the change. :mickey:

Yungbuck73
07-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Great info, Ian. Glad the studios is getting an influx of $.

Maleficent_vf
07-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Even though I love Muppet Vision (it's one of the only reasons we've gone to DHS in recent years), it is dated and I'm okay with it going away. I just wish they would keep the Muppet presence in the renovated park. It seems like they could come up with something given that they are a Disney property...

DisneyGiant
07-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Even though I love Muppet Vision (it's one of the only reasons we've gone to DHS in recent years), it is dated and I'm okay with it going away. I just wish they would keep the Muppet presence in the renovated park. It seems like they could come up with something given that they are a Disney property...

Agree 100%. I would hope that they could replace Muppets in 3D will something "Muppety."

IloveJack
07-03-2015, 07:02 PM
This park has become our half-day park. We'd much rather spend our time in AK. So I am very happy to hear this! I might get really sad if Prime Time Cafe disappears, though.

Tekneek
07-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Agree 100%. I would hope that they could replace Muppets in 3D will something "Muppety."

There is a sentimental attachment, given that Jim Henson was involved with it. I would hope that they would find a way to capture the spirit of Jim in any replacement attraction they might have. It is good for the current Disney company to not have any sacred cows, but surely they can keep this property involved in their parks.

azcavalier
07-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Count us in as very excited for the changes. I too love the Muppets, and would hope that they would keep a Muppet presence in the park (or another park...but I don't know where else they would fit).

Even if they just copy the Indiana Jones ride from DLR, I welcome it. I have been to DLR once, back in 1996, and I loved that ride. I cannot wait for it, copy or not, to open at DHA.

That article/post didn't even mention the new "flex stage" or whatever it is that they're building next to ToT. I'm hoping that it will house a show that is a version of the one I just saw at Tuacahn in southern Utah called Disney's When You Wish. If you want to hear more about it, check out my post on it over in the "Musicals" section of the Intercot boards.

acetate
07-03-2015, 09:36 PM
That's a shame about the Muppets. I realize it's old but they've had 2 recent hit films and a new series in the fall. I would think Disney would want to keep a Muppet presence in the park. I'll wait to see the details of the expansion and see if there's any family type stuff coming , but it doesn't seem like it after taking away One Man 's Dream, Muppets 3D, and the animation tour.

tiggerbuddy
07-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Well its about time !!!:mickey:

Spang88
07-04-2015, 07:43 AM
While I will certainly miss many of the attractions that don't make the cut, it definitely was time for a change. My wife and daughter will certainly miss the Beauty and the Beast show. Some of the attractions like the backlot tour I miss only for the nostalgia piece and kind of how corny it got (it felt very 80's), and that wasn't its purpose. Changes will be good here I believe.

Jeff
07-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info.
I agree all are needed EXCEPT for a change to Illuminations

Stu29573
07-04-2015, 11:17 AM
BTW, the original blogger stated in his comments that the Star Wars ride is safe, as is Fantasmic. He said he overlooked them. There is also considerable back and forth about the fate of the Muppets. It seems a conflicting rumor states that it will be shut down and referbed...not closed permanently.

DizneyFreak2002
07-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Just don't take this click and bait article has gospel... All he did was rehash all old fan wishes and rumors from over the years... And post the obvious...

Yes more Star Wars is coming... Yes, Pixar Place is expanding... Everything else? Well, not so fast according to people with connections...

Just temper the expectations and don't take this article as a be all end all, know it all... It isn't... Take with massive grain of salt...

And let's hope they do it right... Can't trust them to do it right in WDW... Just can't...

TheVBs
07-04-2015, 03:55 PM
These would be fabulous changes!! But I will hold off on too much excitement until it comes from an official source. Whatever they do, I hope they do it in a timely manner.

EeyoresBestFriend
07-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Wonder how this affects the Restaurants there. My heart (and tastebuds) will be permanently traumatized if I lose the 50s Diner!!

Wells
07-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Oh No!...closing the Muppets!?...now I'll have to go all the way over to Carrousel of Progress for my afternoon nap!:D

2Epcot
07-04-2015, 09:01 PM
It's not fun while it's happening. We watched all the changes at Disney California Adventure while they kept the park open. It was great when the walls finally came down.

Crow
07-05-2015, 12:51 AM
one mans dream needs to stay somewhere..maybe MK. muppets should also have a presence. the animation could maybe fit in Epcot Innoventions. first they closed the studio...now where is the animation. I dont mind the money finally being put into some things though. and Epcot should be worked on, more than a Maelstrom removal............

SurferStitch
07-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info.
I agree all are needed EXCEPT for a change to Illuminations

I actually look forward to a change to Illuminations. I love the music, but DH and I joke about the globe only being there because it's someone's labor of love. It's a very long, drawn out part of the show, and quite boring. I would love to see more fireworks and pyro, personally.

I'm sure they'll include fantastic music... all fireworks shows we've seen at Epcot since we've started going in 1996 have had wonderful music.

WiltonJohn
07-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Will very much miss MuppetVision. Hope they relocate / revise it.

Will LOVE Start Wars Land.

One Man's Dream HAS to stay somewhere......... it is the history of the place.

best,

.....................john

i'm grumpy
07-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Of the 3, I'm only a fan of Pixar. I really hope they just move the Animation part and One Man's Dream, but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking.

deedee73
07-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Of the 3, I'm only a fan of Pixar. I really hope they just move the Animation part and One Man's Dream, but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking.
I am so with you on this one ... bring on Pixar sooner than later & please relocate the Art of Animation - the sketching is so much fun. And one should always pay tribute to Walt!

honeybear
07-06-2015, 10:12 AM
This sounds like great news. I can't wait to hear the official announcements in August!
I can't see them getting rid of the Muppets. (I thought Disney now owned them) so although the show may be going, I am sure they will have presence at the new refurbished studio. I mean don't the muppets have a show premiering this fall? Also, I have ridden the Indiana Jones Adventure ride in California, and I have always wondered, why they did not have that attraction here in Florida. I mean, I like the stunt show, but we don't go anymore because we have seen is so many times. I am excited about the changes, but loved the Hollywood stuff and hope they keep some the the attractions for the little ones like Disney Jr. show.

BIGDOG
07-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Better keep the Pot Roast on the menu at the 50's diner
If they close One Mans dream I have dibbs on the toys behind the glass

PirateLover
07-06-2015, 06:34 PM
The Studios really needs help, so I hope that this comes to fruition.

I am definitely a sentimental fool for MuppetVision, but I do realize that it's in a prime location if they really do intend to do a huge overhaul. From the preshow to the actual show, I think it's one of the only 3D films (aside from PhilHarMagic) that stands the test of time. When the special effects are going full force (which granted, doesn't happen often much these days) it's still a great show. Waldo is the only down note but all of the other segments are still funny. The only thing that dates it a little is the clothing of the guests at the end. Plus it was one of the last films Jim Henson and Richard Hunt worked on before they both passed away. I would love if they relocated it, and if not, maybe if the new Muppet show is a hit they will get a different sort of attraction. I think the current movie would easily fit as the movie for the Imagination pavilion (which was a previous rumor) but I won't get my hopes to high. I've seen it plenty of times but hopefully, if this is true, I'll get to say one last goodbye to it in December... :beaker::fozzie::animal::gonzo::kermit::sam:

Tekneek
07-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Plus it was one of the last films Jim Henson and Richard Hunt worked on before they both passed away.

This is why it is important. I understand that many park guests couldn't give a **** about what the history behind a park experience is, but sometimes there really is something special about it that transcends whether each person enjoys doing it or not. If they are going to retire this attraction, they should put the movie as an extra on a DVD/Blu-ray set so people can have it.

An example would be what Universal did on the Back To The Future Blu-ray set when they included the pre-show and attraction films from the Back to the Future park attractions.

baldburke
07-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Interesting that there's no mention of Marvel? You'd think for sure that they'd want to capitalize on this?

Ian
07-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Interesting that there's no mention of Marvel? You'd think for sure that they'd want to capitalize on this?They're not allowed. Universal holds the theme park rights to those characters.

DonaldDuck1117
07-06-2015, 10:21 PM
They're not allowed. Universal holds the theme park rights to those characters.

That's not true. Disney can't use Avengers characters in Florida because of the Universal agreement. Other characters Disney can use and there is an argument about whether or not Guardians of the Galaxy can be used.

azcavalier
07-07-2015, 08:49 AM
I have ridden the Indiana Jones Adventure ride in California, and I have always wondered, why they did not have that attraction here in Florida.

IF this is true, I'm very excited about it. However, IIRC, isn't Dinosaur the same ride technology as the Indiana Jones ride from DL?

Tekneek
07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
IF this is true, I'm very excited about it. However, IIRC, isn't Dinosaur the same ride technology as the Indiana Jones ride from DL?

Yes.

BrerGnat
07-07-2015, 11:06 AM

Yes, but it is carried out SO much better on the Indiana Jones ride. That ride always blows me away. I just rode it last night and it is so, so good. I hate the Dinosaur ride.

magicofdisney
07-07-2015, 11:39 AM
I believe it's the same exact track as Dinosaur but with different scenery and story line.

PirateLover
07-07-2015, 01:11 PM
If they are going to retire this attraction, they should put the movie as an extra on a DVD/Blu-ray set so people can have it.

An example would be what Universal did on the Back To The Future Blu-ray set when they included the pre-show and attraction films from the Back to the Future park attractions.
That would be amazing, but I won't hold my breath, considering they never even finished releasing all the season of The Muppet Show!

Yes, but it is carried out SO much better on the Indiana Jones ride. That ride always blows me away. I just rode it last night and it is so, so good. I hate the Dinosaur ride.

I have to agree. The theme makes it seem like an entirely different ride. DH and I were also blown away by the DL ride. In general I like the parks having some unique, signature rides, but selfishly since we go to WDW much more often, I'd LOVE to see this ride at WDW!!!

DizneyFreak2002
07-07-2015, 03:57 PM
That's not true. Disney can't use Avengers characters in Florida because of the Universal agreement. Other characters Disney can use and there is an argument about whether or not Guardians of the Galaxy can be used.
Guardians can be used...

Park Hopper
07-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Many attractions that are favorites of many guests will disappear. Change may not always be good if it destroys so much of what is important to so many guests.:confused:

Please do not take any offense to this, but what attractions would those be? I am asking out of interest, not just to be argumentative. Other than ToT, RnRRC, TSM, GMR, and maybe ST, all of which will be kept, there is nothing else on my family's Must-Do list. I realize every family has different Must-Do lists. Muppets will be missed a little, but they will do something with the Muppets, especially with the upcoming show. The 3D is really dated. One Man's Dream will probably resurface too - it belongs in MK on Main Street.

I hope all this, or something close, is true. I do not have a problem with them bringing highly successful rides from other parks in, but hopefully they will add some original ones as well. They need to do something - I fear it is going to take forever though.

WiltonJohn
07-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Other than ToT, RnRRC, TSM, GMR, and maybe ST, all of which will be kept, there is nothing else on my family's Must-Do list. .

So here is another perspective......

ToT, RnRRC, and TSM are totally NOT on our to do list at all. Never were... never will be.

Star Tours, Indiana Jones SHOW (not a ride), Muppetvision 3-D, Lights, Motors, Action, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, the Animation Studio, the Backlot Studio Tour, and One Man's Dream ARE (or were). And the general ambiance of the "Holywood" movie set situation.

So for us, the closing of a lot of stuff is not necessarily an "expansion" of the parks. It is a change to the parks. The park is not getting stuff added TO the park.

So while it will be nice to have an expanded Star Wars presence........ we are giving away something to get it. We likely will miss the other stuff as much as we enjoy the new stuff. Maybe more (don't know yet). If so.... it is most possibly not a "net gain" for our family..... but maybe a "break even".

So I really don't call this a major "expansion"... it is a "change" to the existing parks.

best,

.................john

Park Hopper
07-08-2015, 11:18 PM
So here is another perspective......

ToT, RnRRC, and TSM are totally NOT on our to do list at all. Never were... never will be.

Star Tours, Indiana Jones SHOW (not a ride), Muppetvision 3-D, Lights, Motors, Action, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, the Animation Studio, the Backlot Studio Tour, and One Man's Dream ARE (or were).

Wow, it shows how different family's Must-do lists can be. Still, while I understand how those type of attractions can be endearing, they certainly are not headliners or what brings people in to a park. I am not necessarily saying that is a good reason for removing them, though - however, I think they have to remove some to make way for the others and I think these make more sense.

Star Tours will still be there. Backlot and Animation are already gone, so they were not even considered for our upcoming list. As for the shows, by their very nature, I do not expect them to be around forever. I think it is reasonable to expect shows to rotate after their popularity has wanned. The removal and changing over of shows has always happened, so I guess I accept it easier.

Tekneek
07-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Toy Story Mania was alright. I've been on it once. My desire to go again is about on par with my enthusiasm for Mission: Space. I'll go on it if the kids want to go, but otherwise never again.

I like to go on ToT and RnRRC, but they've never been requirements. We've always spent more time on the things that might be going away. At any rate, this is yet another thing I'll sit on the sidelines for and see how it shakes out. At this point, it is quite possible I won't go back to WDW again this decade.

azcavalier
07-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Will there be changes to the Streetmosphere characters and performers? We *love* Mulch, Sweat, and Shears, and it's always hilarious to catch the street performers. The very best of all of WDW, in our family's opinion. This last time we caught two guys competing against each other doing magic tricks. One looked like a circus cowboy, and the other was like a Chicagoland gangster. They were a ton of fun to watch and interact with.

WiltonJohn
07-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Will there be changes to the Streetmosphere characters and performers? We *love* Mulch, Sweat, and Shears, and it's always hilarious to catch the street performers. The very best of all of WDW, in our family's opinion. This last time we caught two guys competing against each other doing magic tricks. One looked like a circus cowboy, and the other was like a Chicagoland gangster. They were a ton of fun to watch and interact with.

Those kinds of "details" are a large part of what makes Disneyworld "special".... at least to me. Atmosphere, the unexpected, the attention to details that most places would just ignore, the "Hidden Mickeys", the humor, tha cast members bothering to see a button and say "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Anniversary", and so on.

best,

.................john

Park Hopper
07-09-2015, 11:40 AM
I complete agree about the Streetmosphere characters and performers and I meant to include them in my earlier posts. I will be deeply saddened if they are gone, as I think they really made HS unique. I typically watch them on Sunset or Hollywood Blvd. near Sunset, which seems like areas they would keep largely intact. If the theme of those areas remains the same, and it could if the 'Hollywood' is still in the park name, then I would hope and think it logical that they would still be there. Of course, Disney has done some things which defy all logic lately.

TikiLounger
07-09-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm okay with this. As long as ToT, RnRRC, Star Tours, and Toy Story Mania stay, I'm good with the changes. We love the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular but, honestly, we've seen it so many times that it's lost its appeal. I, for one, am really excited about the Indiana Jones RIDE. I'd love to experience it without having to go to CA.

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm okay with this. As long as ToT, RnRRC, Star Tours, and Toy Story Mania stay, I'm good with the changes. We love the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular but, honestly, we've seen it so many times that it's lost its appeal. I, for one, am really excited about the Indiana Jones RIDE. I'd love to experience it without having to go to CA.
Do not hold your breath for the ride... There is not one trusted insider saying the ride is in the plans... Just don't be disappointed if the ride does not come... Be over joyed if it does, with major plussing... :)

goofyskier
07-10-2015, 02:29 PM
I cannot wait for these improvements to be completed in 2055. :D

TikiLounger
07-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Do not hold your breath for the ride... There is not one trusted insider saying the ride is in the plans... Just don't be disappointed if the ride does not come... Be over joyed if it does, with major plussing... :)

Aw! Well? whatever will be, will be. I'll keep my excitement in check for now. :cool: I'll just play it cool...

acetate
07-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Does anyone else feel this is a calculated attempt to remove Disney characters from the park? It sounds like it will be the only Disney Theme park without Disney. If you removed the Pixar stuff it would all be outside things Disney bought or leased. John Lasseter has to be aware that millions of people love the 2D cartoons just as well as some of the newer things. It's not like Lilo and Sticth are ancient. Heck they were made in that very park!

DizneyFreak2002
07-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Aw! Well? whatever will be, will be. I'll keep my excitement in check for now. :cool: I'll just play it cool...
Hope for the best... There are reasons to be excited... Honestly... :)

Just temper the expectation about the Indy ride, that's all... Otherwise, there is plenty of reason to be excited about this...

goofy for pluto
07-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Hope for the best... There are reasons to be excited... Honestly... :)

Just temper the expectation about the Indy ride, that's all... Otherwise, there is plenty of reason to be excited about this...
---- Yay! :mickey: - :) - :D - :thumbsup:

Arielfan98
07-11-2015, 01:49 PM
This all sounds exciting! But Illuminations is going in EPCOT? :confused:

NJGIRL
07-12-2015, 06:40 PM
How long to complete, 10 to 15 years? They might as well just shut down the park and finish as quickly as possible.

I agree with this. Disney always takes far too long to complete projects. I used to a big supporter of DHS and RR is probably my favorite Disney ride, but I haven't been to that park since ICOT 15 despite visits to other Disney parks after that. I won't spend money on admission to DHS until they add more attractions my family is interested in. There is too little for us to do there... having only 4 attractions (RR, ToT, SW, and the GMR) for us to do isn't worth the money.

Closing the park and banging out the work makes more sense to me instead of this dragging on for years.

PopPhan
07-13-2015, 08:56 AM
To all who have been saying "Why don't they just close the whole park down and finish more quickly?".....

Wouldn't it be easier, and probably cheaper on their part, to just create a whole new park and once that is ready to open, close the existing DHS? It's not like they don't have plenty of land to work with. With this option, they could actually plan it out better. The biggest hassle I had/have with DHS is that it can be a pain to try to get around within the park. It is the only one that does not follow the traditional "hub and spoke" design well.

danheaton
07-13-2015, 12:15 PM
To all who have been saying "Why don't they just close the whole park down and finish more quickly?".....

Wouldn't it be easier, and probably cheaper on their part, to just create a whole new park and once that is ready to open, close the existing DHS? It's not like they don't have plenty of land to work with. With this option, they could actually plan it out better. The biggest hassle I had/have with DHS is that it can be a pain to try to get around within the park. It is the only one that does not follow the traditional "hub and spoke" design well.

Given the costs at this point to build a park, I think this would be a lot more expensive. You have to take into account changes to infrastructure like bus routes, supplies, etc. They already have the set-up at DHS and the land prepared to handle guests, so changing it would be the right move.

At this point, I'd much rather see them focus on improving the parks they have and not going for a fifth gate. One of the reasons it's so hard to update EPCOT and DHS is just how massive the resort is. They have so many fixed costs, and it takes so much effort just to keep the site running smoothly.

PopPhan
07-14-2015, 11:07 AM
...create a whole new park and once that is ready to open, close the existing DHS?...

I wasn't thinking of a 5th gate, per se, but rather a full replacement with the idea that DHS would close when the replacement was ready to open.

Given the costs at this point to build a park, I think this would be a lot more expensive. You have to take into account changes to infrastructure like bus routes, supplies, etc. They already have the set-up at DHS and the land prepared to handle guests, so changing it would be the right move.

At this point, I'd much rather see them focus on improving the parks they have and not going for a fifth gate. One of the reasons it's so hard to update EPCOT and DHS is just how massive the resort is. They have so many fixed costs, and it takes so much effort just to keep the site running smoothly.

I realize that this would be a lot of expense, as you noted, but with $2B+ to use for construction (part of the $3B tag would be for other improvements/changes/additions throughout WDW) I would think it would be easier to create new than to try to modify/add/change existing properties that are not well laid out in the first place.

BUT, if this could not happen, there is plenty of land around DHS to expand the existing footprint of the park and expand upon the Pixar and LucasFilms properties that Disney now owns.

Close S Studio Dr, shift parking areas to the East and expand LucasFilms area - Indy & Star Wars - to the South and East; Take the LMA and Backlot Tour areas and make them into Pixar areas - Monsters, Inc., CarsLand, etc.

The problem I see with this scenario is what to do with the Streets of America area? It doesn't make for a great segue between LucasLand and PixarLand. It is not really that great a segue as it stands....

These are just my own, disjointed, thoughts, and should be taken with heaping teaspoons of salt.

Aurora
07-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Dang. I was really excited about that part. The Indy ride in Disneyland is fantastic -- my favorite attraction in the California parks (although Radiator Springs Racers is a close second).

I'll still keep my fingers crossed. I'm excited about everything else and happy that they're keeping GMR.

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Supposedly 2.8 billion to DHS, 350 million to MK, 350 million to Epcot... plus millions more resort wide... to get ready for the 50th...

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Dang. I was really excited about that part. The Indy ride in Disneyland is fantastic -- my favorite attraction in the California parks (although Radiator Springs Racers is a close second).

I'll still keep my fingers crossed. I'm excited about everything else and happy that they're keeping GMR.
All I was saying with the Indy ride is no credible insider has come out to say Indy is in the plans... All plans they knew of (admittingly) prior to the BoD meeting and approving the work, did not include Indy, and they say there were many plans... Also, others close to knowing what is going on have said not to believe what you read online as people are just taking rumors that have been spread over the years and trying to make it sound like they know what they are talking about, looking for clicks on their blogs... Which is why I called this article click bait...

I'm hoping for a Lucas area, where an Indy ride is included... I just don't see that happening just yet... not until Disney ruins, I mean, remakes the Indiana Jones movies... Much like you won't see anything Star Wars related until Disney's versions of the movies are released (hence the delay!!!)...

Roger's #1 Fan
07-20-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm hearing they may start off with a smallish Star Wars presence until they can decide how to add the upcoming movies into the mix. Has anyone else heard this?

DizneyFreak2002
07-21-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm hearing they may start off with a smallish Star Wars presence until they can decide how to add the upcoming movies into the mix. Has anyone else heard this?
Possibly, I'd assume they would start with Mos Eisley though, build that alley way of shops and dining, leading to Star Tours, then close Indy Stunt Show to work on the massive e-ticket and other themed areas/lands...

I heard the delay was really placed on Iger as he wanted to wait until Episode 7 so they could include the new trilogies and off shoots into any expansion...

Roger's #1 Fan
07-22-2015, 11:09 PM
The actual concept I am hearing about is called Star Wars Launch Bay which is currently slated for Shanghai as well as a rumored part of the Disneyland Innoventions update. While the suspected location is thought to be the recently closed Magic of Disney Animation section of DHS, I find this hard to believe since it is opposite the side of the park where Star Tours now resides. I'm more inclined to believe that it could go where the Sounds Dangerous and Idol buildings are as you suggested Freak as a prelude/entry to the actual land,

Yo Mickey!
07-26-2015, 05:28 PM
guessing osborne lights will be gone too? we go the first week of dec every year and hit those lights at least 3-4 evenings out of 7. but other than ToT, RnR and TSM...no reason to go.

DizneyFreak2002
07-27-2015, 07:56 PM
The actual concept I am hearing about is called Star Wars Launch Bay which is currently slated for Shanghai as well as a rumored part of the Disneyland Innoventions update. While the suspected location is thought to be the recently closed Magic of Disney Animation section of DHS, I find this hard to believe since it is opposite the side of the park where Star Tours now resides. I'm more inclined to believe that it could go where the Sounds Dangerous and Idol buildings are as you suggested Freak as a prelude/entry to the actual land,
Star Wars Launch Bay is only a meet and greet... DHS's Star Wars will be a lot bigger than just a meet and greet... It will be grand.. But it is coming to Shanghai...

If they do Launch Bay in DHS, it would only be something temporary to hold things over... And signs point to Launch Bay possibly opening in DHS later this year, early next... So yes, it is coming, but again, it isn't the official Star Wars offering for DHS...

DizneyFreak2002
07-27-2015, 07:58 PM
guessing osborne lights will be gone too? we go the first week of dec every year and hit those lights at least 3-4 evenings out of 7. but other than ToT, RnR and TSM...no reason to go.
This year, no... Next year? Maybe... All depends on the plans, which no one has been able to figure out or even get a bit of a peep from people... If Streets of America go away, the lights may too, unless they find a good spot to relocate them to...