PDA

View Full Version : December weather/crowds?

parrothed26
06-29-2015, 08:00 AM
I'm Planning a quick trip for my 40th birthday December 5-8. I've never been at this time of year and I've read conflicting reports on the weather and crowd levels at this time. Does anyone know what it will be like? We need to know for packing and planning. Thanks!

Strmchsr
06-29-2015, 08:32 AM
There's absolutely no way to know what the weather will be like. December is variable. It can be warm, cool, dry, wet, both in the same week. It's the time of the year with frequent cold fronts coming through so it's not at all uncommon to be sunny and 80 one day and 50 and rainy the next. Just like in Mississippi. You just have to check right before you leave to know what it'll be before your trip.

As for crowds, you get varying reports because crowds mean different things to different people. What feels crowded to me, might not to you. But, in general, the first couple of weeks of December used to be totally empty a few years ago. Now, the crowds are moderate, especially on weekends. They aren't horrible, but the park won't be empty either. Don't expect low crowds but you can still enjoy yourself and many of the less popular rides will have very low wait times.

VacationDisney
06-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Weather can be tricky. If we go in December it's usually the week after Thanksgiving. We have arrived and the temps are in the 80's and sometimes, by the time we leave, the temps are only in the 60"s. One time, during the evening,we even wished we had brought gloves. It was THAT cold. Plan to dress in layers and you'll be fine.

The crowds can vary. A couple of years ago it was SO crowded at Epcot that you would have thought all the other parks were closed and everyone ended up at Epcot. Never in the 6 or 7 years that we have gone this time of year have we ever seen Epcot so crowded.

You'll still be able to enjoy the attractions, but be prepared for crowds.

sorcerer fan
06-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Dec 4,5,and 6th MK will be taping for the Christmas special on ABC so Mk will be hectic. other than that should be a fun time, that's when we 're going this year too. so much to see at this time of year for decorations!

faline
06-30-2015, 07:53 AM
While more crowded than years past, we've found this time of year to be quite manageable - crowd-wise.

As to weather - well, that's not quite so predictable at this time of year. We've experience anything from shorts and tee weather to needing winter coats and gloves and everything in-between - sometimes all on the same trip. So, be prepared for all eventualities weather-wise.

Katzateer
06-30-2015, 08:22 AM
The weather is usually perfect for us. Not too hot or cold, low humidity and little rain. But while it is normally a great time, you never know. We had one trip where it SNOWED a little and was cold the entire week. And some years it rained. But we keep going back that time of year. The decorations and holiday activities are so much fun. The crowds are a lot larger than in the past, but it seems to always be crowded no matter when we go. Can't wait for our December trip!:thumbsup:

tjstrike
06-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Like everybody's saying, it varies a lot, we were there Christmas week 2014 and it hit 85 degrees a couple of days but drops down into the 40's and 50's at night.

pego79
06-30-2015, 09:41 PM
I have only gone once in December, back in 2010, and it got down to 30 at night. However, I heard this was the first time it had ever gotten that cold for that time of year so I don't think it's anything to worry about. We are going again the week after Thanksgiving this year so we're hoping for nice temps! My boys are looking forward to swimming and I told them to not bank on that happening for sure!!!!

lawgirl
07-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I LOVE going in Dec. Although the weather is so varying, it's usually been pretty mild for us. And I've never really noticed any major crowds that early in Dec. We went for my bday once- Dec 21-25 and it was insane. But early Dec is so great. Everything is so festive and extra magical. We've been several times during the MK taping weekend, and its never affected us. I absolutely love the MVMCP and we go almost every year. One year we were wearing shorts and pretty hot. This past year we hit a cold spell and it got in the 40's at night. But a few days after we left it was back up in the 70's.

I'm looking at booking us a few nights that same exact time as well.

You will love it so much!

lawgirl
07-02-2015, 09:37 AM
I have only gone once in December, back in 2010, and it got down to 30 at night. However, I heard this was the first time it had ever gotten that cold for that time of year so I don't think it's anything to worry about. We are going again the week after Thanksgiving this year so we're hoping for nice temps! My boys are looking forward to swimming and I told them to not bank on that happening for sure!!!!

We went to MVMCP the night it got down to 30 something. It was FREEZING. But the party was basically empty. At one point, my hubby and I walked down Main Street by ourselves. It was one of the best experience of my life. No lines for anything. Front row parade seats. It was great! But my toes and nose were numb for hours!

RAIDER
07-07-2015, 05:00 PM
We've been going in the first week of dec for the last 15 years.. I would say the average is in the mid 70s ... For us it's perfect ...
At night you will need a sweater though