PDA

View Full Version : Teppan Edo

Figment52
06-25-2015, 08:59 AM
We've never eaten here before, but are considering it. How does it work?
Are you seated with people not in your party?
Does the chef stay there the entire time you're eating?
What exactly do the meals come with? $30 is pretty steep for just a main entree.

Disney4us2
06-25-2015, 09:43 AM
You are seated with others at a table that seats eight. Once the chef is done cooking he/she leaves. The server is still around. Unless you are on the dining plan, drinks and dessert are extra.

The meals have had some cucumber salad, noodles, veggies along with the main meat, chicken, etc.

I prefer Tokyo Dining (same spot) over Teppan Edo.

Strmchsr
06-25-2015, 10:09 AM
I like it but it's pretty much the same Japanese steak house experience you can get anywhere else. I definitely don't consider it a "unique" experience at WDW. But it's not bad and since I speak some Japanese and have been immersed in the Japanese culture I enjoy it just for the interaction with the CMs from Japan. The food is generally pretty good. I've found the chef "show" to be a little hit and miss. You'd expect Disney to have nothing but top notch chefs. Some are, but some, again, are no better than what I'd see at home.

mydisneygirls
06-25-2015, 10:33 AM
We went once. It was okay. We are used to the Japanese hibachi's up here in our area and I have to say they are much better than the food/experience at Teppan Edo. Would we go back, probably not.

Figment52
06-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Ok great, thanks. The menu online only listed the actual entree and not if you got sides or what they were, so it's good to know it's not just a plate of meat. There isn't currently an opening for the time we wanted, so we'll keep checking.

NJGIRL
06-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Ok great, thanks. The menu online only listed the actual entree and not if you got sides or what they were, so it's good to know it's not just a plate of meat. There isn't currently an opening for the time we wanted, so we'll keep checking.

Yes, others are seated with you and the chef does leave when he is done cooking.

It is very similar to your local Japanese Steakhouse. My local one is expensive too.

I find the food at Teppan Edo to be very good and the "show" is fun too.

One note...while my local restaurant comes with soup, salad, main course, noodles, veggies, rice, and bean sprouts.....Teppan Edo does not include the soup, salad, or bean sprouts. But it's still ALOT of food! You will not leave hungry.

WiltonJohn
06-27-2015, 03:47 PM
........ since I speak some Japanese and have been immersed in the Japanese culture I enjoy it just for the interaction with the CMs from Japan.

僕も。 でも鉄板江戸はまあまあです。

Tokyo Dining is more "authentic" Japanese. Teppan Edo is basically a Bennihanna by any other name.

best,

.............john

Figment52
06-27-2015, 11:24 PM
僕も。 でも鉄板江戸はまあまあです。

Tokyo Dining is more "authentic" Japanese. Teppan Edo is basically a Bennihanna by any other name.

best,

.............john

Neither of us have ever been to a Bennihanna, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

WiltonJohn
06-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Neither of us have ever been to a Bennihanna, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

Benihanna is the "grandfather" or "grandmother" of the 'cook at the table, performance chef", pseudo-Japanese strings of restaurants that have popped up all over the place in the West. Look up Bennihanna.

The teppanyaki concept....... cooking on a hot metal grill... was developed out of the Allied occupation of Japan.... and westerner's tastes...... it was not even in existence in Japan before about 1945-46.

There IS a tradition in Japan for the hot grills at the table and mainly cook it YOURSELF. For info on them, look up monjayaki ( もんじゃ焼き ). If you are a 'cooking klutz'... waitstaff at a restaurant will help with the cooking.

best,

......................john