PDA

View Full Version : POR vs. WL

ljgirl40
06-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Planning a quick trip for 8/28-9/1. We have been to Disney more times than I can count and always stayed at a moderate resort, POR and POFQ. This trip I am looking at booking WL but I'm torn as to whether it is worth it. Any advice?

Susan A
06-19-2015, 12:32 PM
I've always been a moderates person. We stayed at WL in Oct '13. It is a big jump in price. One deciding factor was the amount of time we would spend in the Magic Kingdom. We went there the most with our kids. A bout ride to the Contemporary was also convenient. From there, you can jump on the monorail and visit/ dine at those resorts. Another thing to consider.

Also, if I'm going to stay at a deluxe, I want to make sure I take advantage of the property. The main pool was awesome! Still, in a week, we didn't explore enough of the resort or take advantage of their activities.

deedee73
06-19-2015, 01:20 PM
I am a deluxe girl from way back but have stayed at moderates in order to get more Disney time. In my opinion there is a big difference however it truly depends on you personally - Do you plan on spending most time in the MK area be it at the park or reataurants? Or at the resort enjoying the activities? If yes to these questions then it is probably worth it. If you utilize the resort mainly for sleeping or a little pool time then probably not.

Not sure about this (never done this) but depending on the moderate chosen it might be shorter from WL via boat then monorail to Epcot (Future World) than busing from the moderates.

Susan A
06-19-2015, 05:33 PM
From personal experience, I wouldn't take a boat from the WL to the Contemporary, walk to monorail in hotel, take it to TTC, and then switch to an EPCOT monorail.

Although, the longest wait for a bus at the WL was for the EPCOT bus. Still, shorter than two transfers.

texas211
06-20-2015, 06:07 PM
We love POR. It isn't to be undersold. A nice, relaxing, southern feel. The main restaurant is great (Boatrights). I feel it's the best Moderate, and great. We prefer it, and feel its a great value for the price. 100x better than any value, and a lot of nice qualities to it. Youtube a tour of it. Love it. Enjoy your new home.

#1donaldfan
06-22-2015, 02:55 PM
For me WL can get very crazy and loud in the lobby from WCC. There are tons of "visitors" at the lodge who are there for the dinner and to sight see, you do not get that as much at Riverside and the FQ, that's why I like it there much better. Same for AKL, it's very busy for much the same reasons. :mickey:

Davy Crockett
06-22-2015, 09:00 PM
If you go there once you'll always come back. I believe it's the best resort at WDW, especially if you have children. There are days we don't leave WL and just have fun at the pool and on the lake.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
06-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Looks like you are only doing a 4 night trip, sounds like a good time to experience something different. Wouldn't be as cost prohibitive as a longer stay. POR has been our home resort, but would love to try WL at least once.

Grace
06-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings) was our first resort, And the peaceful and sublime atmosphere got us hooked from the get go! Still my favorite, in spite of our deluxe stays, and DVC membership. That said, WL is a beautiful and perfectly themed resort with many fine details and amenities. Recommended.

NJGIRL
06-28-2015, 10:13 AM
The WL is probably my favorite Disney Hotel. We have stayed at the Contemporary, WL, AKL, and Coronado. I love the theming. I think compared to the other Disney deluxe hotels the price is OK, but our next trip we booked the POFQ for the first time. IMO the Disney deluxe hotels are now way overpriced for the quality room you are getting. This is a girls' trip and the whole family is not going so I can't justify (feeling guilty) spending deluxe prices just for me.