PDA

View Full Version : Like/Dislike/Thanks Buttons

Terra
06-10-2015, 05:26 PM
I haven't been on in a while. Is this a new thing? The ones that list Likes, Dislikes, thanks, etc?

John
06-10-2015, 06:37 PM
testing a few things.... and they aren't working as they should yet - LOL.

Terra
06-10-2015, 07:56 PM
LOL. No problem. I just thought I was crazy for a moment. Oh boy the "dislike". People are going to hate me aren't they and now I have to see it. LOL ;)

John
06-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Most likely won't be using the dislike portion...

magicofdisney
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM

Go ahead and mark me as "Like"ing this idea. ;)

Terra
06-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Go ahead and mark me as "Like"ing this idea. ;)

LOL I agree.

Thanks John for working on everything though :)

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Yea, I agree that isn't a very good idea LOL...

John
06-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Ok, I think it's working now for the most part... ;)

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2015, 11:48 PM
John, is there a way you can remove a like or dislike?

**still secretly hating dislike button.... :)

John
06-11-2015, 08:43 AM
John, is there a way you can remove a like or dislike?

**still secretly hating dislike button.... :)

I don't think in this version you can remove a like or dislike etc. I know in the vb4 version you can (Or maybe it's the pay version of the plug-in). Just don't hit all 3 buttons ;)

We'll see how things go having all three there. I can always turn the dislike off but when I got to thinking about it - if there is a post about a price increase or another movie made from an attraction, I might want to dislike it but still thank the person for posting. See?

Melanie
06-11-2015, 08:54 AM
I like it. :D

John
06-11-2015, 08:58 AM
I was able to set it so if you click like, you can't click dislike and vice versa. :)

You can still click thanks in combination with a like/dislike.

disneymom15
06-11-2015, 09:24 AM
What do the green boxes refer to under number of posts

John
06-11-2015, 09:27 AM
What do the green boxes refer to under number of posts

That's a reputation system we also just turned on. People can rep you if you have an outstanding post or comment. I cheated with mine - full disclosure. That's about 10,000 reputation points which would take years!

Right now, we're just testing some things out to see what works/sticks.

Thanks for asking.

disneymom15
06-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Also, why is Melanies black

John
06-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Also, why is Melanies black

Because she turned it off in her profile. Not sure, it might be turned off by default in all Moderators profiles.

Melanie
06-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Because she turned it off in her profile. Not sure, it might be turned off by default in all Moderators profiles.

I didn't do it on purpose if I did!

John
06-11-2015, 09:33 AM
I didn't do it on purpose if I did!

Mine was off too - I think that's by design on mods - that they have to turn it on...

Disney4us2
06-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Mark me down on the "like" for the like. Not sure about the dislike.

What are the green squares? Also the reputation scales? Cool new features though.

Hammer
06-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Mine was off too - I think that's by design on mods - that they have to turn it on...

Where in the profile can moderators turn this option on/off? I looked in a few places and can't seem to find it.

Edit- why do I not see Thanks/like/dislike under my post?

John
06-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Where in the profile can moderators turn this option on/off? I looked in a few places and can't seem to find it.

Edit- why do I not see Thanks/like/dislike under my post?

USER CP > EDIT OPTIONS - show reputation.

And you don't see it under your post because you can't like/dislike/thank your own comments. If someone thanks, likes or dislikes your post, it will show the results.

baldburke
06-11-2015, 12:10 PM
USER CP > EDIT OPTIONS - show reputation.

In the words of Joan Jett, "I don't give a darn about my reputation!"

Kidding aside this is an interesting concept that you can dislike something as opposed to the Facebook like only approach.

Terra
06-11-2015, 02:04 PM
In the words of Joan Jett, "I don't give a darn about my reputation!"

Kidding aside this is an interesting concept that you can dislike something as opposed to the Facebook like only approach.

Ha, that's true.
Though for me personally, if I don't agree with something [on FB] I just keep going. I don't like to cause problems. lol.
Although it would be nice to dislike when I have a friend or family member post bad news or they are sick. That kind of dislike I'm okay with.

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I don't think in this version you can remove a like or dislike etc. I know in the vb4 version you can (Or maybe it's the pay version of the plug-in). Just don't hit all 3 buttons ;)

We'll see how things go having all three there. I can always turn the dislike off but when I got to thinking about it - if there is a post about a price increase or another movie made from an attraction, I might want to dislike it but still thank the person for posting. See?
I clicked all three on your post just to test things out...

I see your point, but I also think the dislike button is going to cause problems between some members... I saw it on another site and they had to quickly remove the dislike button... But, yea, let's see how it goes...

John
06-11-2015, 02:38 PM
I clicked all three on your post just to test things out...

I see your point, but I also think the dislike button is going to cause problems between some members... I saw it on another site and they had to quickly remove the dislike button... But, yea, let's see how it goes...

We're not like other sites ;)

Anyway, we'll keep an eye on things - be good, do good.

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2015, 03:29 PM
We're not like other sites ;)

Anyway, we'll keep an eye on things - be good, do good.
Nope.. things get WAY too heated, and I mean way too heated elsewhere...

PopPhan
06-11-2015, 03:34 PM
OOPS!! Hit the Thanks, then tried to hit Like, but about the time I did it jumped (dropped the Thanks) and I ended up hitting Dislike. Didn't want to do that!! Sorry!!!

John
06-11-2015, 03:36 PM
OOPS!! Hit the Thanks, then tried to hit Like, but about the time I did it jumped (dropped the Thanks) and I ended up hitting Dislike. Didn't want to do that!! Sorry!!!

No worries - we are going to upgrade the boards soon anyway which should allow you to take back a like or dislike. We'll see.

Terra
06-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Nope.. things get WAY too heated, and I mean way too heated elsewhere...

I agree with you! And not just Disney boards. I've been on parenting boards and jeepers. I may have really disagreed but I wouldn't ever attack the person you know? But some people, eeks.

Tink1
06-12-2015, 01:11 PM

I just did the Same thing in the Edison thread LOL

Nanc

John
06-12-2015, 09:52 PM
I just did the Same thing in the Edison thread LOL

Nanc

Well, I could make it so you could only select one - but thought sometimes you'd like to do both thank and like.

Only other option is to buy the plug in which would allow you to take back a click...

BriarRose0708
06-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Interesting, I just got my first notification that someone "liked" my post. Fun!

I do hope this won't dissuade people from posting opinions and responses, rather than just hitting a "like" or "dislike." Especially with a "dislike" there's more opportunity to not post a rationale for it. Part of the great thing about INTERCOT is that people actually talk with each other respectfully and still engage in mature conversations even when there is disagreement. I think it will continue, but just a thought.

John
06-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Interesting, I just got my first notification that someone "liked" my post. Fun!

I do hope this won't dissuade people from posting opinions and responses, rather than just hitting a "like" or "dislike." Especially with a "dislike" there's more opportunity to not post a rationale for it. Part of the great thing about INTERCOT is that people actually talk with each other respectfully and still engage in mature conversations even when there is disagreement. I think it will continue, but just a thought.

Just curious - where did you get notified? I know that was a feature but for whatever reason (possibly because I am a mod) I don't get them - or no one likes me - LOL.

I hear what you are saying but part of the reason to install it is actually the opposite... many threads get read a lot, but don't get a ton of comments. My thought was if you saw people like but not necessarily comment, at least you'd know (much like you do on facebook) that people are engaged.

The dislike button - not sure yet but haven't seen any abuse so far. Not sure if we'll stick with it or not.

Bottom line is we need everyone in the community to spread the word about INTERCOT and that it's a much better, more engaging place to talk Disney than say - Facebook.

BrerGnat
06-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Just curious - where did you get notified? I know that was a feature but for whatever reason (possibly because I am a mod) I don't get them - or no one likes me - LOL.

John, it appears in the Welcome box under "Your Notifications." It's not a pop up box or anything. It is at the bottom of the notifications menu, where it says "New Post Thanks/Like Alerts." I only noticed it this morning as well.

BriarRose0708
06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
John, it appears in the Welcome box under "Your Notifications." It's not a pop up box or anything. It is at the bottom of the notifications menu, where it says "New Post Thanks/Like Alerts." I only noticed it this morning as well.

Yep! It makes me feel good when you get a private message or someone responds to my posts so I totally get it.

John, I am behind you 200% on this initiative! I was at a professional conference last week where I ran into many WDW and DLR fans. I made sure that in every conversation I had I promoted INTERCOT as the reason I know so much and have had so many successful trips. Most wrote it down in their notes and one even liked the Facebook page from their smartphone right then and there!

John
06-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Yep! It makes me feel good when you get a private message or someone responds to my posts so I totally get it.

John, I am behind you 200% on this initiative! I was at a professional conference last week where I ran into many WDW and DLR fans. I made sure that in every conversation I had I promoted INTERCOT as the reason I know so much and have had so many successful trips. Most wrote it down in their notes and one even liked the Facebook page from their smartphone right then and there!

Thank you so much - getting the word out is important in this day of fragmented audiences. People don't find things the way they used to so our community members need to be proactive in bringing new folks to the site - which in turn makes the experience more fun for all of us.

Appreciate you taking time to give your feedback and for spreading the word! :mickey:

John
06-16-2015, 12:03 PM

So funny - I totally missed that and I'm the one who installed the system. Doh! :oops:

MNNHFLTX
06-16-2015, 03:02 PM
I'm probably the only one that's not a big fan so far of the Likes/Dislikes/Thanks--it makes the boards look cluttered to me (but then again, I'm more of a minimalist!) That said, if it appeals to our members and helps to increase our numbers, I'll adjust. :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
06-16-2015, 03:59 PM

Just the other day I found myself liking a post without commenting on it. I'm going to actively work towards not doing that anymore because I don't want this to turn into a FB type site (for me.) I prefer the back-and-forth interaction on here.

Melanie
06-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Just the other day I found myself liking a post without commenting on it. I'm going to actively work towards not doing that anymore because I don't want this to turn into a FB type site (for me.) I prefer the back-and-forth interaction on here.

If it's something that you'd have normally commented on before, by all means, please do not stop!! But I know that for myself personally, there are many threads/posts I'd read, with nothing really to contribute, but I liked or appreciated it. I love that this feature lets me give that acknowledgement where I otherwise would not have. It's meant to be an enhancement, not a replacement. :thumbsup:

John
06-16-2015, 04:28 PM
If it's something that you'd have normally commented on before, by all means, please do not stop!! But I know that for myself personally, there are many threads/posts I'd read, with nothing really to contribute, but I liked or appreciated it. I love that this feature lets me give that acknowledgement where I otherwise would not have. It's meant to be an enhancement, not a replacement. :thumbsup:

Exactly - and Ditto. I want to let people know I appreciate the post - but may not have anything of value to add so I would normally move on... now I hit like or thanks depending on the content.

Even now with it implemented, I'll both like or thank the original post and still comment if I have something to add. Hasn't stopped me at all.

badkitty
06-16-2015, 10:55 PM
But I know that for myself personally, there are many threads/posts I'd read, with nothing really to contribute, but I liked or appreciated it. I love that this feature lets me give that acknowledgement where I otherwise would not have. It's meant to be an enhancement, not a replacement. :thumbsup:

I agree, Mel. Many times someone says the same thing I would say and the "like" button is perfect for that. I also think the "thanks" button is great to thank folks for helpful posts. It alerts them to your gratitude when replying to a post may go unnoticed.

badkitty
07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
So if you hit one by accident, you can't change it? I don't like this feature. My fat finger hit the "dislike" on my phone by accident as I was trying to select "thanks". Now the "dislike" is there forever. :(