PDA

View Full Version : Drive from PA to Disney

Jeff T
06-07-2015, 12:56 PM
We are driving to Disney from Pittsburgh in a few weeks. Anyone make the drive lately? Any major construction along the I-79,19, I-77, 26, I-95, I-4 route?

BrerGnat
06-07-2015, 01:55 PM
There is always something going on on the stretch of I-95 south between D.C. and Richmond. The worst area is the Stafford/Fredericksburg portion. There is ongoing construction and lane closures there that can slow you down quite a lot. Expect it to take 1 hour to travel between about Dumfries and Fredericksburg.

CanadianWDWFan
06-07-2015, 02:45 PM
We are driving to Disney from Pittsburgh in a few weeks. Anyone make the drive lately? Any major construction along the I-79,19, I-77, 26, I-95, I-4 route?
We are doing this route this summer. The best source I have always found is AAA. I use the online map/TripTik from AAA and it will show the construction along the route. Another good tool is to visit each states' 511 website.

John
06-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Just drove from DC to Hilton Head SC via I-95 and honestly, didn't have any major slow downs or issues. Granted coming out of DC south in Virginia I took the EZPass hot lanes (there was a 5 mile or so of stop and go after that) but nothing all the way to Georgia.

magicofdisney
06-07-2015, 06:41 PM
There is always something going on on the stretch of I-95 south between D.C. and Richmond. The worst area is the Stafford/Fredericksburg portion. There is ongoing construction and lane closures there that can slow you down quite a lot. Expect it to take 1 hour to travel between about Dumfries and Fredericksburg.

We've been traveling back and forth periodically from FL to NJ over the last 18mos. I agree with this above. We're always slowed down in this area. We're headed back up in about a month and we've decided we're simply going to stop over in Stanford for our overnight. One thing we've figured out is that we shouldn't leave the HOV too prematurely. Ultimately you gotta get off, but stay on as long as you can...DON'T listen to your GPS in that area. ;)

Or, you may have John's good fortune and experience minimal delays. :)

SurferStitch
06-08-2015, 12:06 PM
DH and I drive down from NEPA. We like to go out to Harrisburg and pick up 81 there. It's a much nicer drive than fighting I-95 through DC. And, we've found that it take no more time taking 81 than 95. In fact, we usually SAVE time because we don't seem to hit any traffic snarls.

We leave around 5am, and get to Savannah, GA, by about 8-8:30pm with stops for breakfast, lunch and somtimes dinner. Also throw in a few potty/coffee/fuel breaks, too. We then finish the drive starting by 6am the next day, and get into WDW by about 11am (again, stopping for breakfast).

81 to 77 to 26 to 95 to I-4. Total DRIVING time is 16 hours. Exactly the same as 95 (advertised on Google Maps).

barnaby
06-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Check out http://www.vamegaprojects.com/ for construction in Virginia.
I used this my last trip in 2013 when there was some major construction and traffic impacts.