PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan Changes

JanetMegan
06-01-2015, 09:06 AM
I read somewhere this weekend about some changes to the dining plan, like what counts as a snack, the ability to get a soup or salad instead of dessert etc.

Any official word?

Hammer
06-01-2015, 10:18 AM
I just went through the Disney Parks Blog and did not see any official word, but I have seen the reports with the rumored changes.

#1donaldfan
06-01-2015, 05:45 PM
That would be an incredibly good change. Sometimes we prefer the salad to a dessert. Hope this comes true !!:mickey:

BrerGnat
06-01-2015, 08:16 PM
I read about the changes as well and honestly, it sounded really confusing. It's going to be a pain for awhile while they (and the guests) get the hang of it.

Melanie
06-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I read about the changes as well and honestly, it sounded really confusing. It's going to be a pain for awhile while they (and the guests) get the hang of it.

The dining plan didn't want to feel left out from all the other confusing aspects of planning a WDW vacation. ;)

BrerGnat
06-01-2015, 08:23 PM
The dining plan didn't want to feel left out from all the other confusing aspects of planning a WDW vacation. ;)

Seriously. They should make a dining plan app next so people can virtually plan out their day's credit usage.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Seriously. They should make a dining plan app next so people can virtually plan out their day's credit usage.

But the app wouldn't count the credits right, so they would have to give you a FP+ for your trouble.

A bit more seriously though, as great as this may be, I wonder how much extra Disney will charge for the dining plan next year?

Figment!
06-01-2015, 11:00 PM
The changes have been evidently internally announced, although a public announcement has yet to be made.

Here's a distilled (and hopefully less confusing) list of the changes effective 5/31/15:

New Eligible Snack Categories

Snack Credits now can be redeemed for any item in the following categories:

Any side item served at a Quick Service Location
Any single scoop ice cream sundae in a non-souvenir dish

Introduction of the "Breakfast Snack"

Guests wishing to use the Dining Plan for Breakfast, but not wishing to use a Quick Service Credit now have more options. During Breakfast hours at a Quick Service location, Guests may redeem 1 Snack Credit for any one of the following options (if available):

Biscuit and Gravy
Cereal with Milk
French toast sticks
Grits
Hard-boiled egg
Oatmeal
Side of Bacon
Side of Eggs
Side of Potatoes
Side of Sausage
Quinoa

Introduction of the 'Snack Meal'

Guests wishing to use their Quick Service Meal credit for lighter or alternative fare have a new option:

At Quick Service locations, 1 Quick Service Meal credit may be redeemed for any 3 Disney Dining Plan Eligible Snack Items.

Substitutions Accepted

Guests now have some options in substituting portions of a Dining Plan Meal credit:

At select Table Service locations, Guests may substitute a side salad, soup, or fruit plate in lieu of a dessert. Guests should ask their server if this option is currently available at the time of their meal.
At Quick Service locations, Guests may substitute any available side item for a dessert or beverage when redeeming one Quick Service Meal Credit.

Credit Restrictions Lifted

Guests can now redeem credits in ways previously restricted:

Guests may redeem credits for Guests in their dining party not on their Dining Plan at Table Service Locations.
Guests on the Deluxe, Premium, and Platinum Plans may redeem 1 Child Credit for 1 Adult Meal at Table Service Locations.
Guests may redeem 1 Child Credit for 1 Adult Meal at Quick Service Locations.

JanetMegan
06-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Thanks Jason! I hated to post them if they were not "official". I think it's going to be nice like if you got a soft pretzel you had to pay for the little cheese cup, now I think it's going to be included. Stuff like that. I also love the idea of additional options for a breakfast snack instead of just a pastry!

magicofdisney
06-02-2015, 10:25 AM
I have to say these changes seem quite generous on Disney's end, considering how restrictive they were in the past. So far I'm pleased with these offerings.

But, a couple of years ago, we had CMs stressing constantly, that we could order an adult meal at counter service using my son's child credit. At the time he had zero interest in the adult menu, however I was surprised how many times they would point out this option to us.

I wonder if they'll next offer a TS credit for 1 CS and 1 snack option. There was a brief test period of this that we took advantage of a couple of years ago.

Melanie
06-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Sorry, hate to say it and blast me if you must, but I can't wait for even more holdups at the counter service locations with confused folks. I'm glad it's seemingly a good things for guests, don't get me wrong. Maybe it's because I've never done the dining plan, but man this seems confusing.

BrerGnat
06-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Sorry, hate to say it and blast me if you must, but I can't wait for even more holdups at the counter service locations with confused folks. I'm glad it's seemingly a good things for guests, don't get me wrong. Maybe it's because I've never done the dining plan, but man this seems confusing.

I completely agree.

Maybe Disneyland has had it right all along with prepaid vouchers. ;)

AgentC
06-02-2015, 11:33 AM

I really think there should be at least one "Non Dining Plan" line at every counter serve. I agree it is really frustrating when you just want to pay to be behind people trying to figure out their credits.

NewDVCowner
06-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Any idea how much more this is going to cost? I would imagine that there's going to be an increase - and with the option of kids being able to order off the adult menu it seems that the price could go up significantly - especially for the kids dining plan.

Hammer
06-02-2015, 11:55 AM

There is plenty of documentation on how the Dining Plan works. Now, if people read it is a whole other point. I haven't done the dining plan since my Dad died in 2010, as it was the only way I could get him to let me pay for meals, but it never confused me or any of our family. Mel, if you ever did the Dining Plan, I am sure you would pick it up pretty easily after reading the pamphlet.

I really think there should be at least one "Non Dining Plan" line at every counter serve. I agree it is really frustrating when you just want to pay to be behind people trying to figure out their credits.

That would be great! We don't eat at many counter service restaurants, but that would be a great option when we do eat at Peco's Bills or Cosmic Ray's. If we hear people around us who seem confused on what they can get, we will usually introduce ourselves and help them, if only so the line moves faster.

Hammer
06-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Any idea how much more this is going to cost? I would imagine that there's going to be an increase - and with the option of kids being able to order off the adult menu it seems that the price could go up significantly - especially for the kids dining plan.

Agreed, I would think the price of the kids' plan will go up the most with increase in flexibility. More choices usually means higher costs at Disney (or anywhere for that matter).

mydisneygirls
06-02-2015, 12:14 PM
I like that you will be able to substitute a side salad, soup, or fruit plate in lieu of a dessert. I'd be perfectly happy to have a soup or salad and just a "small" taste of a dessert someone in the party has ordered.

I also like that at Quick Service locations, you can use 1 Quick Service Meal for any 3 Disney Dining Plan Eligible Snack Items. Since on the last day we are scrambling to use up all our snack credits, we can use them for a quick meal before leaving for the airport.

I have to say that I think this is an improvement to the DDP and although it may be confusing a bit at first, it will work out and will be worth it.

princessgirls
06-02-2015, 12:44 PM

Melanie....You are sooo funny!!!!!

I agree 100% though!!! :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

Fangorn
06-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I also like that at Quick Service locations, you can use 1 Quick Service Meal for any 3 Disney Dining Plan Eligible Snack Items. Since on the last day we are scrambling to use up all our snack credits, we can use them for a quick meal before leaving for the airport.

That's not what the plan updates that Jason posted says. You can use a Quick Service credit to get 3 snack items, NOT you can use 3 Snack Credits to get a Quick Service meal. The wording here indicates that this is a one-way transaction only. One way is in Disney's favor, the other is not.

My Spidey-sense says that all of this sounds good, but that a quick analysis will show that Disney is the party that will benefit most.

Steve

magicofdisney
06-02-2015, 01:42 PM
My Spidey-sense says that all of this sounds good, but that a quick analysis will show that Disney is the party that will benefit most.

Steve

That almost goes without saying.

I can use a CS credit for a meal, drink, and desert. This is the most expensive option. According to the new allowances, if I'm not "that" hungry I can get a drink, side, and desert (using the 3 snack credits). The customer definitely comes out on the shorter end of that stick. I wonder if people will really fall for that? I mean, come on, now that we can share with others outside our plan, why wouldn't you simply share that full CS credit with a friend? (assuming the friend is with you...)

Fangorn
06-02-2015, 03:01 PM
That almost goes without saying.

I can use a CS credit for a meal, drink, and desert. This is the most expensive option. According to the new allowances, if I'm not "that" hungry I can get a drink, side, and desert (using the 3 snack credits). The customer definitely comes out on the shorter end of that stick. I wonder if people will really fall for that? I mean, come on, now that we can share with others outside our plan, why wouldn't you simply share that full CS credit with a friend? (assuming the friend is with you...)

Indeed.

I did a very quick analysis of the "breakfast snack" enhancement (and I use that word loosely). For my snack credit which has traditionally been usable for snack items up to $6 (average $4.50?) we can now use one for a side of bacon at breakfast. Sounds great, except that side of bacon at ASMovies is a whopping $2.49. Yes, it's great that I can get something besides a pastry with my snack credit, but on a purely monetary level, it's a poor value (well, it's a great value from Disney's perspective).

The Soup or salad instead of dessert option is similar - at a monetary level you're trading a $6-$8 dessert for a $2.19 side salad (if it's even available at your dining establishment - most only have a child's side salad available). Soup is the same. Don't expect to be getting the same soup or salad items that are on the Appetizer menu :secret:.

All this under the guise of giving you more flexibility.

Not buying it.

Steve

Hammer
06-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Indeed.

I did a very quick analysis of the "breakfast snack" enhancement (and I use that word loosely). For my snack credit which has traditionally been usable for snack items up to $6 (average $4.50?) we can now use one for a side of bacon at breakfast. Sounds great, except that side of bacon at ASMovies is a whopping $2.49. Yes, it's great that I can get something besides a pastry with my snack credit, but on a purely monetary level, it's a poor value (well, it's a great value from Disney's perspective).

The Soup or salad instead of dessert option is similar - at a monetary level you're trading a $6-$8 dessert for a $2.19 side salad (if it's even available at your dining establishment - most only have a child's side salad available). Soup is the same. Don't expect to be getting the same soup or salad items that are on the Appetizer menu :secret:.

All this under the guise of giving you more flexibility.

Not buying it.

Steve
Those values work for a counter service substitution, but it is a much more even swap for a table service meal and in some cases you will come out ahead. I looked at a menu for Grand Floridian Cafe and the soup of the day is $6,49. Other than the dessert sampler, all other desserts are $5 and under. The soup at Kona Cafe is 7.49. The most expensive dessert is $6.49 there.

The gap is wider if you look at some of the signature restaurants. The price for the soup or the cheese plate is $16 at Citricos. The most expensive dessert on the menu is $11. Of course, all the restaurants could all revamp their menus so the value isn't there, but there hasn't been a mention of a "special" menu you will have to use for the switch.

I agree that this isn't going to make us buy the Dining Plan either. We do much better with Tables in Wonderland as we get a discount on alcoholic beverages. I can see where it could work for others.