PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs at Resort? Airport? Rental?

lawgirl
05-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Hey- unfortunately broke my foot yesterday at our botanic gardens. I have a boot walker on right now, and I'm thinking I may be interested in getting a wheelchair while at WDW. We aren't planning on doing the parks, just enjoying the resorts, but it might be nice to have a wheelchair so I can take it easy.

Do I have to rent one? Or do the resorts have them you can "check out"? I've never had this happen before, so I'm not too sure what to do. Or should I check with my insurance company about renting one?

Thanks for your help!

Itchy
05-29-2015, 11:51 AM
I believe the resort have a few wheel chairs that are complimentary on a first come first serve basis. You can also rent one from local providers that are authorized to serve the Disney properties.

We use Apple Scooter for our ECV when we go. They have wheel chairs there for $50 for the first 3 days and $5 for each additional day.

The airports have wheel chairs that you can use to get to and from your flight. I would guess to check with a bell cap at the airport.

Hope this helps and get better soon..:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-29-2015, 11:54 AM
The ones at the resort are in pretty rough shape. I wouldn't want to use them too much. (and we had to argue to use one, even just to get DD back to the room one night. Since then, we've always rented one).

The off-site companies are pretty cheap, I'd rent it so you have it ... or even get an ECV for a few days when you think you'll be active. The boot gets old fast ... but at least it is better than a traditional cast.

Happy Healing!

Hammer
05-29-2015, 12:23 PM
As the other posters have said, renting a wheelchair from an outside company is your best bet. We have rented wheelchairs from Apple and Buena Vista Scooters and I actually found the wheelchairs from Buena Vista to be in better shape as well as a larger inventory than Apple.

Get better soon!

lawgirl
05-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the info! I think I will definitely look into renting one. I appreciate it!

kakn7294
05-29-2015, 03:53 PM
The resorts do have them but they are very limited in supply and not the nicest of wheelchairs. I'd probably rent.

lawgirl
05-29-2015, 06:52 PM
The resorts do have them but they are very limited in supply and not the nicest of wheelchairs. I'd probably rent.

If I tried to get one at the resort, is it per day? Will I have to turn it in every day and check it out the next day? Would I be able to keep it for our whole stay? We aren't going to the parks at all.

I've never been in this situation, and hoping to avoid frustration!