PDA

View Full Version : Garden Grill or Coral Seas

thads
05-28-2015, 11:16 AM
We have eaten at the Coral Seas a few times over the years. The kids really enjoy watching the fish while we eat. The issue is that we were not able to get our regular character meals. So I am considering changing over to Garden Grill. So any thoughts on Garden Grill vs Coral Seas?

luvkatiebug
05-28-2015, 11:46 AM
We love the Garden Grill. I think its one of the most underrated character meals. We usually see all of the characters at least twice each meal, and we go in the summer. The food is pretty good and the kids will love the rotating restaurant. Eating there in 38 days for my birthday! Enjoy. :mickey:

Katzateer
05-28-2015, 11:50 AM
My girls lovedvGarden Grill! Food is good, great place to cool off and relax, character interaction is good. I would give it a try!:thumbsup:

AgentC
05-28-2015, 11:53 AM
I may not be the person to answer since Coral Reef is not my favorite restaurant and I have not eaten there in years. I do really enjoy the Garden Grill.

I think it is the calmest character meal you will. It tends to be much quieter than the others because it is small and the set up of the booth makes the meets feel more private.

Foodwise a negative could be that it is served family style. I like it but I know some people do not.

You get a plate to share that includes vegetables, mashed potatoes, salad, mac & cheese, beef, chicken and fish and a dessert. It has been quite good whenever I have gone. I would definitely try it at least once.

Figment104
05-28-2015, 11:59 AM
We did Garden Grill for the first time last year and loved it! The character interaction is really great, and we also really enjoyed the food. It will now be one of our to do restaurants in the future.

deedee73
05-28-2015, 02:09 PM
While I have not personally eaten at Garden Grill (highly allergic to some & not thrilled with the other selections) I have popped in while members of our extended family were eating to check in & hunt for hidden Mickey's. Compared to the other character meals (except maybe Ohana) it was the most laid back. It is set up in a very unique way and I was told it took a while to see all the characters but everyone enjoyed their experience. We always eat at Coral Reef & we love it but if the kids have done it & want a character meal it may be a great substitute. Just check with them in case they feel it wasn't a Disney experience without eating at the aquarium. Also keep in mind more openings occur closer to your date as others change & cancel so don't give up on the ones you really want. Also check out the new Chef Mickey brunch as an option. Have a magical visit.

thads
05-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Great feedback. Thanks. Man, I love the discussion boards on this site. So helpful. I just booked Garden Grill!!!

mydisneygirls
05-28-2015, 02:47 PM
If your looking for a character meal, I would try 1900 Park Fare. The food and character entertainment is much better than the Garden Grill and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get an ADR there. We ate once at GG and for us once was enough. We didn't care for the food at all.

Melanie
05-28-2015, 02:51 PM
I think you'll be pleased with Garden Grill. I agree with Cindy, in that it's calm and quiet, and you really do feel the characters are there just for you. Farmer Mickey is adorable!

I really like the food there. Family style all the way for me! Buffets really aren't my thing.

Now I like Coral Reef fine, but you've done that before. :thumbsup:

sonamae80
05-28-2015, 02:55 PM
You won't be sorry you booked at Garden Grill! I agree that it's one of the best character meals! We can't wait to go back this July!

magicofdisney
05-28-2015, 03:04 PM
One of the things I really enjoyed about the Garden Grill was traveling by the farm house from The Land ride. Garden Grill moves slow enough that you can take some fantastic pictures.

azcavalier
05-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Since you've already booked, I'll just give you a cool story.

About 7 years ago we gave the Garden Grill a try with our (then) 10 yr old son, 6 year old daughter, and 2 year old toddler. My six year old was sitting out on the edge of the booth, and Chip came by. He sat next to her and interacted with her. After a minute, he bent over and pretended to chew on her head. she couldn't stop giggling. After he did that once or twice, he then wrote on a napkin, "She's a nut!"

It remains one of our most favorite character interactions. Hmmmm.....sounds like a good thread suggestion! I must go start that...

Figment104
05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Since you've already booked, I'll just give you a cool story.

About 7 years ago we gave the Garden Grill a try with our (then) 10 yr old son, 6 year old daughter, and 2 year old toddler. My six year old was sitting out on the edge of the booth, and Chip came by. He sat next to her and interacted with her. After a minute, he bent over and pretended to chew on her head. she couldn't stop giggling. After he did that once or twice, he then wrote on a napkin, "She's a nut!"

It remains one of our most favorite character interactions. Hmmmm.....sounds like a good thread suggestion! I must go start that...

This is so cute!!! We have some of our best character interaction memories from here too. DS was just shy of 3 years old on our last trip, so sitting for a meal really isn't his thing. He was done eating so to keep him busy while the rest of us finished up I pulled out my phone and put an episode of Octonauts on. While he was watching, Farmer Mickey came around for a second visit, and noticed DS watching the phone. Well he got right down with DS and started watching Octonuats right along with him. DS was so excited to tell Mickey all about what was going on in the episode, and I got the cutest pictures. Totally made our day!

Tinkerbella16
06-04-2015, 06:23 AM
Last year Garden Grill was our arrival day dinner. We actually booked this and cancelled it due to negative reviews and booked it again because we really wanted to try it for ourselves. It ended up being our favorite meal of the whole trip and we had a lot of great meals all week. My BIL could not stop talking about it and we put it on our must do list for my nieces first trip in 2016. Everything was amazing, the food was fresh and plenty! We asked for seconds of our favorite items - the beef, mashed potatos, turkey and stuffing were omg delicious! They came out with plenty more. The service was great! Our adr was at 5:45pm and we asked for a table in a booth on the lower level and we were sat at exactly 5:45, in a nice spacious booth, so we got to see our favorite Living with the Land scenes. We were so full by dessert, but still had to take a bite and the warm berry cobbler w/ fresh whipped cream was awesome! The character interaction was the best we've experienced at a character meal... each of them came around 3 times and spent time with us, taking pics. This meal got an A++++ from us! And this restaurant gets so many negative reviews.. it is better to just go and experience it for yourself, because you may end up loving the place.

Goes4FastPass
06-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Garden grill has GREAT uncomplicated character interaction - and the food is brought out in a real something for everyone fashion. We keep considering moving it to our been there done that list but when we consider highlights from our last trip GG ends up back on our ADR list.

Coral Seas has fish.