PDA

View Full Version : Three Possible Side Effects of Ticket Price Change

Main Street Jim
05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20150527/30295/3-devastating-side-effects-walt-disney-world-s-proposed-new-ticket-scheme

Disney4us2
05-27-2015, 08:33 PM
What about those with premium AP? My guess is a price hike for those as well.

EeyoresBestFriend
05-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Sounds like they are trying to follow their resort pricing now.

It looks incredibly stupid! If you go for two weeks what the heck are you supposed to buy? If I have to get a Silver ticket for the whole time then what's in it for me on the Bronze days? Or do I have to buy a half dozen tickets now for one trip? And I'm sure they will expire left, right and centre. Good luck keeping that on your band and being able to link up dining or FP ressies to that mess! :thedolls:

Color me unimpressed. Really - how much harder are they going to try to stop folks from going? :confused: Keep it up Disney - I've already got one foot out the door . . .

badkitty
05-27-2015, 09:55 PM
It sounds like the way they do annual passes at Disneyland. If you have a premium pass, no blackout dates. If you have a deluxe with blackout dates and you want to go to the park during a blackout time, then you have to buy a day pass. I really don't see this working with once-in-a-lifetime vacationers.

Maleficent_vf
05-27-2015, 09:58 PM
I know corporate Disney doesn't care one iota about me, but they've lost me. If there were any doubts in my mind about my disappointment in the direction WDW has been taking in the past few years, this seals it.

My first visit to WDW was in 1999. Over the last 15 years my family and I visited 10 times - always at a deluxe and never for less than 5 days. The last trip (in 2013) was the only disappointing one for a variety of reasons mostly revolving around the quality of the experience. The magic is gone and I'm just not willing to pay premium prices for anything less than a magical experience. :(

dobby2010
05-27-2015, 10:16 PM
I imagine for our family and likely most others, this means "gold" days will be spent at Universal or Sea World or poolside.

John
05-27-2015, 10:56 PM
For annual passes this makes sense... For regular passes... Huh? I hope they aren't serious.

Its already incredibly complicated for the average person - this would only compound things.

Stop the madness.

badkitty
05-27-2015, 11:42 PM
As Dobby2010 indicated, it would send them to an off site venue or time away from the parks. This would mean less money spent at Disney. This alone should steer the bean counters away from this idea for regular passes.

AgentC
05-28-2015, 02:37 AM
The chart seems super complicated to me and I agree it would make people less likely to buy the gold days unless they had no choice. I do suppose it would make it a benefit to buy a whole Disney vacation package if the ticket always automatically matched your days.

Though it is interesting to note that both Universal and Disney do something similar with Florida resident multi day tickets.

At WDW there are 3 different special Florida resident tickets (excluding annual passes) that have block out dates. These are 3 and 4 day passes. If a Florida resident wants to go during the block out periods, the option is to get a one day Florida resident pass, an annual pass or change to a non resident multi pass.

The gold days are similar to the FL resident block outs. In 2015, the 3 & 4 days resident tickets blocked out March 28- April 10, June 6- Aug 13, and Dec 17-Dec 31.

Universal is similar. There is a single day pass good at any time but the multi day passes block out the summer and I think Christmas. There is also a full annual passes and a seasonal annual passes.

BrerGnat
05-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Ok, that is just WAY too complicated. I asume the way you would have to get around different color days within one vacation would be to buy Gold tickets for your length of stay. Now, if it ends up being a system whereby this only applies to one day tickets, that is fine. Or, if you do multi days and you are automatically charged the correct price for your length of stay based on the corresponding ticket types. If the calculations are automatic and the guests don't have to figure it out, that is one thing. I assume the next step is they will stop the sale of multi day tickets in advance, and will only allow them to be purchased in conjunction with vacation packages, or onsite when you know the exact dates of your visit.

Melanie
05-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Unbelievable, if true. Just. Unbelievable.

PopPhan
05-28-2015, 09:11 AM
So, if they implement this, you will have to purchase tickets not only based on the number of days, but also on the calendar days AND how many and which days will be spent in the Magic Kingdom.

I typically do a 7 - 10 day trip in early December (all SILVER, so that makes it a bit simpler) so I would have to set my MK days in stone before I even BOUGHT tickets.

I just came off a 6 day trip (April 30 - May 5) which would have been all in BRONZE, so same deal as above - which day(s) are MK days?

Now, let's get into some extreme weirdness....A 7 day trip from Wed. Jan 14 - Tues. Jan. 20....Jan 14, 15 & 20 are BRONZE days; Jan 16 is SILVER and Jan 17 - 19 are GOLD...What do you do here? Make MK days the BRONZE days? This would make "OTHER" park days the same price or even more expensive than MK days. What happens if plans change and a day you scheduled for MK was spent elsewhere and you are left without a "proper" ticket for MK on a different day? Are you shut out, or just have to upgrade your ticket on that day?

Way too confusing. I see a LOT of disgruntled visitors if this EVER comes into play.

Annual passes would also be tiered? Three different APs - Bronze, Silver and Gold - with the corresponding blackout dates? I would guess there would also be Premium versions of each to add Water Parks? And maybe ULTIMATE versions to add DisneyLand?

I was OK with room pricing changes based on the day. I understand certain days, weekends and holidays primarily, are more popular and they can charge a premium. I am even OK with FP+. For all its perceived flaws, there are still some major benefits to it. BUT, this "New moon on Monday in the third month of the seventh year of the first decade of the Age of Aquarius" park ticket pricing is just wrong on all levels. Nothing more than a money grab with no thoughts to the implications for the visitor.

WiltonJohn
05-28-2015, 09:12 AM
Sort of what many (if not most) snowsports areas have been doing for decades. Weekends and holidays are higher day rates than midweek non-holiday. If you book a vacation period during the higher rate days... or days that overlap different rate days....... the systems are set up to just calculate the correct pricing.

M-F midweek in January...... cheapest. Any average weekend... more. Christmas week weekend.... priceless.

Supply and demand.

best,

............john

magicofdisney
05-28-2015, 09:16 AM
At WDW there are 3 different special Florida resident tickets (excluding annual passes) that have block out dates..

I agree. It sounds just like the FL resident pass options.

This strikes me in a super negative way. I'm extremely ticked off by this potential reality. And I'm a FL resident with a pass, so I'm least effected...for now.

I just read a thread where someone was making FP+ options at 12:00AM midnight for their upcoming trip. MIDNIGHT! This is what planning a Disney vacation has come to?

Not that anyone but me cares, but I don't try to make spontaneous day trips anymore. And it's not because I'm afraid I won't get to ride my favorite ride. As a pass holder, I no longer feel frantic to make that a reality. One time I spent 80min in line to ride TSM. I wasn't stressed doing it because I'm a pass holder and I knew I had an entire year to ride everything else. But now, because I spend so much time strategically planning our annual trip and little trips here and there, I've become exhausted. In fact, my little trips here and there have already scaled back.

Or maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Melanie
05-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Or maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Then I must have as well. :secret:

RBrooksC
05-28-2015, 10:35 AM
This reads to me like a trial balloon to see how people react to it. This will not be the final answer to whatever question they have in their minds. I think the first thing they will implement is a tiered system with the level of resort and your park experience. More perks for the higher level of resort one is staying.

Polynesian Dweller
05-28-2015, 11:10 AM
This reads to me like a trial balloon to see how people react to it. This will not be the final answer to whatever question they have in their minds. I think the first thing they will implement is a tiered system with the level of resort and your park experience. More perks for the higher level of resort one is staying.

Agree!! Over the last quarter century I've been asked dozens of questions in Disney surveys about new ideas and very few have become reality. Just because they ask something in a survey does not mean it's imminent or even seriously considering. Disney surveys constantly about everything and simply because they put it in a survey doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Might they do this, sure anything is possible, but experience says wait for something official before getting too excited.

princessgirls
05-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Oh my word....way too confusing.

I usually book a package, I guess that is a plus for me. Just tell me how much. There is no savings

Julie:mickey:

Speedy1998
05-28-2015, 01:09 PM
I think for the multi-day tickets this would be a real pain in the {censored}.

However, I could see this working really well for single day tickets. And don't they already do something similar for season passes? I could have sworn my Aunt had passes that were good for week days only.

BrerGnat
05-28-2015, 01:37 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think it HAD to have been in reference to single day tickets. This kind of scheme just wouldn't work at a place that offers multi day tickets at a discount over the cost of the individual days.

And I agree about the survey thing. I have taken some VERY strange Disney Parks surveys over the years that never came to fruition.

Aurora
05-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Unbelievable, if true. Just. Unbelievable.

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :down:

I can't even imagine what kind of chaos this would create at the gates. Mom thinks she bought a ticket to get into the park, but it turns out it's the wrong kind of ticket and they're blacked out? And who gets the brunt of guest ire? Not the decision-makers. Imagine the lines at guest services.

When I think about how easy it was to plan a WDW vacation just 10 years ago, it makes me want to cry.

:sob:

Oh, and if this actually is implemented in some form, my parents will either sell their DVC membership or stop going to the parks altogether. No question. It's already too complicated for them.

conan617
05-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Ok - let me play devil's advocate. I'll start out by saying, I don't agree and hope beyond hope that this isn't rolled out in the future, but....

The difference between a 10 day gold and a 10 day bronze with park hopper is $40 per ticket. If in worst case, you didn't know what days you wanted to visit over the course of 14 days, did no planning and bought gold just in case, tickets for a family of 4 would cost $160 extra. I don't think that amount is going to drive people away. We as veteran WDW vacationers know the ins and out of the system and have been going forever are seeing this as another item to plan months in advance with ADRs, FP+ etc. Is the once in a lifetime vacation family going to care? BTW - I found my 4 day pass from 1987 this past weekend - it cost $80 bucks!

This ticket pricing system is already used in many other places - Discovery Cove bases costs on expected busy times. Disney is already doing this to us in the restaurants.

I'm getting the feeling that WDW is going to count on the fact that most will just by the gold package as it will be cheaper than buying, 2 golds, 3 Silvers and 5 Bronze (which is $839 no park hopper) vs 10 gold ($405 no park hopper). Current pricing is $387 for 10 days no hopper. Sounds like a way to add a ticket increase without calling it an increase because you are getting "Gold" tickets.

I really don't want another item I need to account for months in advance of a vacation. I am a type A planner and I'm getting tired of keeping track of ADRs, FP+ and all the other little nuances. Honestly, I'll probably just by the gold to avoid another headache and I assume I wouldn't be alone.

WiltonJohn
05-28-2015, 06:14 PM
This is also a way to try to balance out utilization factors. Move some of the people who CAN move their time slots to days that are currently historically underutilized... and away from the days that are historically over utilized or even "sold out".

best,

............john

DonaldDuck1117
05-28-2015, 09:00 PM
if this is ever implemented the main goal would be crowd control. It would force families who all of a sudden couldn't afford to go during Xmas to go during day September. Disney would be forcing the crowds to spread out. Disney has been trying to prepare for larger crowds with all the expansion that is about to hit the property. Put the infrastructure in first then welcome in the large crowds when the expansions happen.

I don't see this happening though. I think the backlash would be too much.

Melanie
05-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Nothing would surprise me. Backlash was horrible regarding MM+ and FP+, and Disney went full steam ahead regardless.

manutd1
05-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Sort of what many (if not most) snowsports areas have been doing for decades. Weekends and holidays are higher day rates than midweek non-holiday. If you book a vacation period during the higher rate days... or days that overlap different rate days....... the systems are set up to just calculate the correct pricing.

M-F midweek in January...... cheapest. Any average weekend... more. Christmas week weekend.... priceless.

Supply and demand.

best,

............john
I was thinking the same thing. My inlaws are into skiing. This is very easy to understand once you just read and think about when you want to visit. And exactly as you stated. "Supply and demand. " Have to see if this actually happens....But, I do not have an annual pass. We go once a year or every other. However, My buddy in Alabama DOES have an annual pass. He has actually talked about how odd it was/is that you can use it ANY day you want...where most places to kinda tier the days... Well see.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-29-2015, 07:55 AM
I don't like this. Its confusing and I think that is on purpose. It seems to be an attempt to gouge us even more. They will cut shows and special features even more on bronze (as my DD says poor days) because they don't make as much. Only those spending $$$ will get to enjoy all there is to do at the parks. I do get making a profit but this just strikes me as greedy.:nono:

This sort of tiering system works well for locals who go more often and can adjust which days they go on more easily but at a resort where people generally are staying for a week (vacation time) many of whom are locked into specific dates this just creates an excessive burden and likely increase costs.

Cinderelley
05-29-2015, 09:51 AM
if this is ever implemented the main goal would be crowd control. It would force families who all of a sudden couldn't afford to go during Xmas to go during day September. Disney would be forcing the crowds to spread out. Disney has been trying to prepare for larger crowds with all the expansion that is about to hit the property. Put the infrastructure in first then welcome in the large crowds when the expansions happen.

When you say "families", I think of people with children in school who have to plan their vacation according to the school year. They can't just move their vacation time and that will force them to pay more money.

I can see it working for annual passes. I don't see it working well for out of town vacationers.

AndrewJackson
05-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Wow Disney, squeeze every last dime out of us.

Another website is reporting that if your vacation crosses over categoiers, you'll be charged the higher category for your entire vacation.

However, nearly all the bronze weeks have silver weekends. The only way to get the cheaper prices would be to arrive on Monday and leave on Friday. Good stuff Disney.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-29-2015, 11:44 AM
I think this model works well for a smaller, local park where they charge a lower price for less-busy days (such as weekdays) and more for busier days (such as weekends). Since the crowds are local, it is easy to manage.

For a destination like Disney, this is crazy! This is something else just to drive people crazy, trying to figure out what type of ticket they need for what day, and if you change your mind during your trip, you have to upgrade?

If they just updated the parks, stopped closing attractions with nothing to replace them, they would be able to handle the crowds and we wouldn't have to deal with this silliness.

conan617
05-29-2015, 12:05 PM
I don't understand how scaled pricing will control crowds other than local attendance and only those locals that don't have an AP. Will this scaled system deter a local family from attending on Christmas Eve? Perhaps. Will this scaled system deter my family from attending on Christmas Eve. Not if that is when my vacation occurs. I get to WDW once a year and I have to schedule around my family's other activities and my work schedule. I'm going to have to pay for gold, silver and bronze days because I have to go when I can and the pricing of the day won't be a factor.

My guess is this will roll first to AP pricing first. Gold AP - no black outs, Silver AP - Xmas, 4th of July etc. black outs, Bronze AP - Admissions only on Tuesdays after a blue moon in an odd month only.

conan617
05-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Another website is reporting that if your vacation crosses over categoiers, you'll be charged the higher category for your entire vacation.

However, nearly all the bronze weeks have silver weekends. The only way to get the cheaper prices would be to arrive on Monday and leave on Friday. Good stuff Disney.

I figured this would be the case. The difference between gold and bronze is about $40 per ticket. I have to go when I can go and so I was just assuming I would have the privilege of paying the extra cost to "upgrade" to the Gold package. It smells of a sneaky way to increase ticket costs without announcing a ticket price increase.

Melanie
05-29-2015, 01:41 PM
From today's Orlando Sentinel:

Will Walt Disney World use tiered ticket pricing? Survey raises possibility

Disney Parks and Resorts has been causing a stir online with a recent guest survey about the possibility of paying more for admission based on the day you visit.

A screen shot from people who said they received the emailed survey shows a pricing structure that includes charges of up to $125 for one-day Magic Kingdom tickets.

Under the hypothetical scenario, the $125 would be charged during the winter holiday and during the entire month of July. There would also be tiers of $115 and the current one-day rate of $105.

Disney may be thinking about a new pricing system that would have different prices depending on the day and season that you visit.

There were proposed lower-price tiers for the other parks, which currently have one-day ticket rates of $97.

Disney would say only that it frequently surveys guests on possible changes, some that come to fruition and some that don't.

Earlier this year, Disney raised its ticket prices, breaking the $100 for the Magic Kingdom.

Disney has used tiered pricing for its events such as Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Universal Orlando has used it for Halloween Horror Nights.

SeaWorld has experimented more with variable pricing, using it for traditional theme-park tickets. A couple years ago it introduced a weekday ticket which now gives a $27 discount if purchased in advance.

Copyright © 2015, Orlando Sentinel

Hammer
05-29-2015, 01:49 PM
I could see this being used for APs, as others have stated, like what is available for Florida residents and I would actually like that. When Mom lived down there, she got the Florida seasonal pass and that sort of pass would interest me, since it included Food and Wine.

DonaldDuck1117
05-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Nothing would surprise me. Backlash was horrible regarding MM+ and FP+, and Disney went full steam ahead regardless.

Actually the "horrible backlash" regarding MM+ and FP+ was a small, but very loud, group. The vast majority of visitors have given it positive reviews.

WiltonJohn
05-29-2015, 02:48 PM
actually the "horrible backlash" regarding mm+ and fp+ was a small, but very loud, group. The vast majority of visitors have given it positive reviews.

amen!

Melanie
05-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Actually the "horrible backlash" regarding MM+ and FP+ was a small, but very loud, group. The vast majority of visitors have given it positive reviews.

Alright. But I will say that I have never seen such lines at Guest Services as I have over the past 18 months, and the "small" group was indeed very loud, for good reason.

EeyoresBestFriend
05-29-2015, 03:12 PM
When I think about how easy it was to plan a WDW vacation just 10 years ago, it makes me want to cry.

:sob:

I totally agree!!

goofy for pluto
05-29-2015, 04:22 PM
dobby2010
" I imagine for our family and likely most others, this means "gold" days will be spent at Universal or Sea World or poolside" .

This!

Mrs Bus Driver
"I don't like this. Its confusing and I think that is on purpose. It seems to be an attempt to gouge us even more. They will cut shows and special features even more on bronze (as my DD says poor days) because they don't make as much. Only those spending $$$ will get to enjoy all there is to do at the parks. I do get making a profit but this just strikes me as greedy."

Agreed!

goofy for pluto
05-29-2015, 07:08 PM
Maybe they could have a $20 price increase for days where there is NO Fastpasses plus option and the only fastpasses would be given out by a machine that dispenses paper ones at the atraction that really need them. I would pay the extra money for that! :)

manutd1
05-29-2015, 07:45 PM
That is 110%. Am extremely small amount of folks make a lot of noise. But thats just not concerning this...The same thing happens in life.
MM+ and FP+ is working very well. When we are there and just chatting at the resort or wherever with folks...they all love it. Its easy to understand and planning really couldn't be simpler.
Remember...folks only make a lot of noise when they DONT like something....when the other 98% like it..very few say that. but when 2% complain....we all hear it. Just like life and politics.

RunDMV
05-29-2015, 08:30 PM
That is 110%. Am extremely small amount of folks make a lot of noise. But thats just not concerning this...The same thing happens in life.
MM+ and FP+ is working very well. When we are there and just chatting at the resort or wherever with folks...they all love it. Its easy to understand and planning really couldn't be simpler.
Remember...folks only make a lot of noise when they DONT like something....when the other 98% like it..very few say that. but when 2% complain....we all hear it. Just like life and politics.

If you say so.

Melanie
05-29-2015, 09:35 PM
If you say so.

Exactly. Fact is, there shouldn't have been backlash to the point there was even noise to be heard. The huge lines at Guest Services speaks for itself. It was rolled out too early from a company with a horrible tech history. And in no way do I believe it was just 2% who were unhappy. Many a vacation was affected and some even ruined. MM+, now that it's finally working as it should, is great. FP+ is horrible FOR ME. If it doesn't fit your vacationing style, it doesn't fit your vacationing style.

I love Disney, and I'll always love Disney. But it may be time to start cruising, and making visiting the international parks a priority, especially if this tiered ticket thing does happen to become a reality. Fortunately for Disney, they've got TONS of folks just willing to call, then plunk down whatever $$$ the reservations agent tells them for their most magical vacation on earth!

DizneyFreak2002
05-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Actually, this whole MM+ has NOT been met with such awesomeness fanfare like many Disney fans want to tout... It has been met with backlash... And no, not by a vocal minority online...

ADDING INFO: This tiered pricing has been seriously considered... Yes, it is a thing... Very serious consideration... Also, Disney is gauging reaction online to this survey leak and possible tiered pricing... So far, not good... Anyone's guess as to how fast this dies on someone's desk or how fast they implement it since it has received extremely bad PR???

More bad PR for WDW while every other theme park in Orlando (and Central Florida including Busch Gardens) this week received major press with new additions, one better than the other, and extremely positive PR...

Tekneek
05-30-2015, 07:53 AM
I like the concept for 1 day ticket prices, for sure. MYW/multi-day tickets should maintain standard pricing, IMO, otherwise it will be both a nightmare to administrate and explain (they set a precedent for this by not charging you more for multi-day tickets despite the differences in 1-day park prices between MK and the rest - they don't sell you MK tickets and rest-of-WDW tickets in those).

Tekneek
05-30-2015, 07:58 AM
I love Disney, and I'll always love Disney. But it may be time to start cruising, and making visiting the international parks a priority, especially if this tiered ticket thing does happen to become a reality. Fortunately for Disney, they've got TONS of folks just willing to call, then plunk down whatever $$$ the reservations agent tells them for their most magical vacation on earth!

Indeed. Disney will be fine no matter what they do, it seems. I don't think people should criticize anyone who finds the "new way" isn't a good fit for them and decides to do something else. Some people react like it is a personal insult for a person to not be dancing in pixie dust over everything Disney says and does.

magicofdisney
05-30-2015, 09:50 AM
My guess is this will roll first to AP pricing first. Gold AP - no black outs, Silver AP - Xmas, 4th of July etc. black outs, Bronze AP - Admissions only on Tuesdays after a blue moon in an odd month only.

FL residents already have tiered tickets just like you're describing but with different names: Premium, Annual, Seasonal, Weekday Select, Epcot after 4. Most of us FL residents completely understand the concept behind this proposal. We just don't understand the logic (or lack thereof...) :confused:

DisneyGiant
05-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Not a fan, but it wouldn't affect us at from a day to day thing - since we always go in July because kids are out of school. We'd have to pay the most expensive price.

I wonder if it would dampen the crowds a bit? (if they were to implement it).

BrerGnat
05-30-2015, 01:39 PM
I wonder if it would dampen the crowds a bit? (if they were to implement it).

This could absolutely be the driving force behind a change like this.

Disneyland was having a huge problem with massive crowds due to too many annual passholders. They implemented a radical ticket price increase and reduced the availability of specific types of AP's for new purchase. Many people did not renew passes last year and there were even fewer new AP purchases. DL reported a decrease in attendance overall last year, for the first time in over a decade. This was an intentional move on their part to make it VERY expensive for locals to visit the parks during the high season, and it worked.

Because WDW doesn't have such a large local population, this type of ticketing system is setup to do the same thing...encourage people to visit during the "cheaper" days.

And, it might just work.

We all have been complaining about how crowded it always feels. Maybe this is the solution to that?

DisneyGiant
05-30-2015, 01:45 PM
This could absolutely be the driving force behind a change like this.

We all have been complaining about how crowded it always feels. Maybe this is the solution to that?

Yes - maybe this will be a helpful factor for some..... We're fortunate to be able to afford an increase in the ticket prices - since we locked into room pricing via the DVC - that helps......

Only time will tell if they implement it.

Thanks for the info.

WiltonJohn
05-30-2015, 05:57 PM
Food for thought on the "it is absurdly expensive' now comments...........

As best I can research, in 1973 the all inclusive ticket (admission and all rides) price for a day at the Magic Kingdom was approx. $15.00. Adjusted for inflation in todays Dollars... that was an admission price back then of just under the equivalent of $80.00 today.

So they just cracked $100 on a single day ticket on the Magic Kingdom.

Ticket prices for a single day have gone up about $20.00 in the Dollar-ettes that we use today. It would have cost $18.77 a day for admission in 1973 Dollars if they were charging the same rates they are now.

When you look at that with the reality of the 432% inflation that has happened since 1973..... and what has been improved and added in the park........ not too shabby.

best,

..................john

John
05-30-2015, 07:01 PM
John - 15.00 to 18.77 is a 25% increase. Imagine if they did that in today's dollars. Not sure the argument you are using holds weight. 100 to next year at 125 per park would be huge.

Everything is relative. Telling my parents they would spend almost 4 bucks more a head per day on admission (not to mention the cost of everything else going up 25% in this hypothetical) would have been a big deal back then.

WiltonJohn
05-30-2015, 07:14 PM
John - 15.00 to 18.77 is a 25% increase.

That viewpoint is a change in 1973 Dollars over the time period from 1973 to 2015. So yes... it represents an effective 25% increase in one day park admission....... over a time period of 42 years.

That would be the equivalent day admission rate back then in those Dollars if the price of admission was the same as it was today.

best,

................john

Main Street Jim
05-30-2015, 09:42 PM
That viewpoint is a change in 1973 Dollars over the time period from 1973 to 2015. So yes... it represents an effective 25% increase in one day park admission....... over a time period of 42 years.

That would be the equivalent day admission rate back then in those Dollars if the price of admission was the same as it was today.

best,

................johnUhhh...*no*.

1955 Opening-day adult ticket prices at Disneyland were $1.00 for park admission, plus anywhere from $.10 to $.35 for individual ride/attraction tickets. For a family of four, to enter the park, would be $4.00, plus, let's say 40 ride tickets at $.35 ("E" ticket rides?) each (10 for each family member), comes to $18.00 in 1955 U.S. dollars. Accounting for inflation, in 2015, according to the U.S. Department of Labor's inflation calculator, that same $18.00 would be $158.91 in 2015 - for four adult-priced tickets. At Walt Disney World, in 1971, the cost of admission for one adult was $3.50, and $4.50 for a 7-adventure ticket book - $8.00 total for one adult plus ride tickets, so, $32.00 for a family of four (not including meals/parking). In 2015, that number would be $186.94 - less than $200.00 for a family of four in the "same" U.S. dollars accounting for inflation. The $18.00 it cost for a family of four to enter Disneyland and buy ride tickets would have cost $27.20 in 1971, so there's not nearly as much disparity there (only about a $5.00 difference). The $109.00 it cost to enter the Magic Kingdom today at Walt Disney World would have cost $18.66 in 1971 (opening day) instead of $8.00 - it would *still* be cheaper in 1971 dollars by more than ten dollars per person, even having to buy your ride tickets.

John
05-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Uhhh...*no*.

1955 Opening-day adult ticket prices at Disneyland were $1.00 for park admission, plus anywhere from $.10 to $.35 for individual ride/attraction tickets. For a family of four, to enter the park, would be $4.00, plus, let's say 40 ride tickets at $.35 ("E" ticket rides?) each (10 for each family member), comes to $18.00 in 1955 U.S. dollars. Accounting for inflation, in 2015, according to the U.S. Department of Labor's inflation calculator, that same $18.00 would be $158.91 in 2015 - for four adult-priced tickets. At Walt Disney World, in 1971, the cost of admission for one adult was $3.50, and $4.50 for a 7-adventure ticket book - $8.00 total for one adult plus ride tickets, so, $32.00 for a family of four (not including meals/parking). In 2015, that number would be $186.94 - less than $200.00 for a family of four in the "same" U.S. dollars accounting for inflation. The $18.00 it cost for a family of four to enter Disneyland and buy ride tickets would have cost $27.20 in 1971, so there's not nearly as much disparity there (only about a $5.00 difference). The $109.00 it cost to enter the Magic Kingdom today at Walt Disney World would have cost $18.66 in 1971 (opening day) instead of $8.00 - it would *still* be cheaper in 1971 dollars by more than ten dollars per person, even having to buy your ride tickets.

Thanks Jim. 😉

mrte62
05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
I wonder if it would dampen the crowds a bit? (if they were to implement it).[/QUOTE]

Could be, but I think it is just another way to make more money without offering anything new.

I get the "it is a business" logic, but when Iger is part of a group promoting more guest workers visas under the premises of the need for more skilled workers only to turn around and fire the WDW IT staff, please understand the sole purpose of the Disney Corp is to extract as much money from guests for the least amount of cost.

I know many have read some of the comments made by Disney execs on conference calls and industry meetings know this is true.

No I am not saying don't go to the Disney Parks; what I am saying is use every resource available to be prepared, to plan as much or as little as you want and enjoy your trip. Just be prepared.

goofy for pluto
06-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Could be, but I think it is just another way to make more money without offering anything new.

THIS!

$20.00 more per day for what? Parks that close early for parties where you have to buy another ticket to stay..Construction scrims everywhere..Rides down that you had to plan months in advance to ride?
I remember awhile back Disney Freak warned us to expect it to get a lot worse before it gets better. I can see he had it right. Even now the news for something new is a stage show. While I am sure it will be great. It pales in comparison to anything that Universal has announced. :(

NJGIRL
06-02-2015, 11:18 AM

I do not believe this statement is true. Everyone I know personally, that goes to Disney every year dislikes the new FP+ system. Even viewing our INTERCOT members comments, a large portion of people dislike the FP+ system.

And I would like to know where the information that only 2% of people dislike the FP+ came from....where can I look up those statistics.

Cinderelley
06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
I do not believe this statement is true. Everyone I know personally, that goes to Disney every year dislikes the new FP+ system. Even viewing our INTERCOT members comments, a large portion of people dislike the FP+ system.

And I would like to know where the information that only 2% of people dislike the FP+ came from....where can I look up those statistics.

Well, you have to remember that the average Joe vacationer doesn't know what else there was. To them, not standing in the standby line is a great idea. It's an even better idea when it is free.

NJGIRL
06-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Well, you have to remember that the average Joe vacationer doesn't know what else there was. To them, not standing in the standby line is a great idea. It's an even better idea when it is free.

Well I would like to know where I can find all of these positive reviews, because for the most part I have not read many (on INTERCOT or any other site) or talked to any one that has liked the new FP+.

Goofy4TheWorld
06-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Today is my first day back after spending 10 days at Disney, and for the first time I was at Disney during a holiday weekend (Memorial Day).

After being able to compare MK over Memorial Day to MK during the week, I spent a lot of time thinking to myself that Disney has got to do something to taper down these excessive crowds during peak times. One night while exiting MK over the holiday weekend I was genuinely scared that a stampede could break out so easily and that CMs would have no way to stop it, it was just that tense.

While I don't like what I have read so far about this ticket pricing, Disney has got to do something, and not much works better to control public behavior than cash.

AgentC
06-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Well I would like to know where I can find all of these positive reviews, because for the most part I have not read many (on INTERCOT or any other site) or talked to any one that has liked the new FP+.

This is purely anecdotal but I have several friends with small children who are not pass holders that really like the FP+ system. These are people who tend to buy a 3 or 4 day pass once every year or so. They like having a basic plan in place.

They are not people who go every year. They are not people who knew who to maximize the old system. They are not people who tend to visit a site like INTERCOT or really any other site to discuss Disney or look for Disney tips. I have no idea if they are the majority or the minority.

However it is a general rule that people who are unhappy with something are more likely to complain than people who are neutral or happy. I work for a major corporation and we have a formal system to survey and get responses from those who are happy with us. If you went by the complaints we get or some of the comments on our Facebook wall, you might think there is more negative than positive.

Again I want to be clear that I am not saying "most" people are happy with FP+. I'm just saying getting a true data is not very easy.

Hammer
06-02-2015, 12:27 PM

I have had 3 different people I know take their families to Walt Disney World in the last year and all came back loving FP+. It allowed them to ride "all the big rides" (direct quote from one woman) while they were there even though it was crowded. All 3 of these families go about every 3 or 5 years. They aren't a part of Disney fan sites, though they all like Disney. 2 of them stayed offsite (Waldorf Astoria and Vistana), so they only could book FP+ at 30 days.

Today is my first day back after spending 10 days at Disney, and for the first time I was at Disney during a holiday weekend (Memorial Day).

After being able to compare MK over Memorial Day to MK during the week, I spent a lot of time thinking to myself that Disney has got to do something to taper down these excessive crowds during peak times. One night while exiting MK over the holiday weekend I was genuinely scared that a stampede could break out so easily and that CMs would have no way to stop it, it was just that tense.

While I don't like what I have read so far about this ticket pricing, Disney has got to do something, and not much works better to control public behavior than cash.

I think that last part is spot on. I really think they are looking to institute this as a way of controlling crowds, much like what Natalie said has been done at Disneyland. Of course, if it increases profits, they won't complain about that ;) .

Tekneek
06-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Laugh at me. I'm wondering why they could not control the crowds by simply letting fewer people into the parks? Assuming they actually care about their ability to manage the crowds in the parks.

NJGIRL
06-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Laugh at me. I'm wondering why they could not control the crowds by simply letting fewer people into the parks? Assuming they actually care about their ability to manage the crowds in the parks.

Exactly, this is all about squeezing more money out of people. I am sure that the cheapest ticket will not be any less than the cost of a ticket now....and with each tier the price will go up. And if they were really worried about crowds they would stop building hotels and build more attractions.

I am not disputing that some people like FP+. What I am disputing is that 98% of the people like FP+........I would like to know where that percentage came from....I am guessing the "air".

DizneyRox
06-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I am not disputing that some people like FP+. What I am disputing is that 98% of the people like FP+........I would like to know where that percentage came from....I am guessing the "air".
You got the first letter right.

For anyone taking any of the surveys, you will notice how skewed they are towards positive replies. For me, any survey I take, my answer is always strongly agree or strongly disagree, or 1 or 10. It's never somewhere in the middle as the statistics used behind the scenes often weight any bit of positivity as a positive result.

RunDMV
06-02-2015, 07:00 PM

Because they went nuts building hotel rooms. in essence, they artificially created a demand (More guests) while not having the ability to create a supply (more attractions or another gate).

I also think it is funny that those who were saying most people love FP+ are now changing their tune. well, not the people who are disney regulars, just the people who are occasional guests (and don't know better)

BrerGnat
06-02-2015, 07:16 PM

Because it simply makes Disney look bad if they lower their maximum attendance and then have to turn people away when it is full. It looks better if people simply CHOOSE to avoid the higher cost days, because it was THEIR choice, they were not turned away by Disney.

To borrow from the podcast, "Sorry folks, park's closed. The moose out front shoulda told ya!" Disney doesn't want to be "that guy."

joonyer
06-02-2015, 08:08 PM
It's basic economics. Let's imagine you are a chef/restaurant owner and you can prepare and serve 100 high-quality meals per day at $10 per meal ($1,000 revenue). In one week, that's a maximum of $7,000 if you sell every meal, every day. Your food and service are great and your diner is very popular, especially on weekends. But your food is cooked in big batches (like BBQ), and what you don't sell each day, you have to give away or it's ruined (can't save it to sell another day).

On weekend days, you have enough customers that you can sell out the 100 meals and still have to turn away many customers on Saturdays and Sundays. Let's assume you choose not to increase the supply of meals because you can only cook so much food per day and you want to personally insure your quality standards (fixed supply).

But on weekdays you only have an average of 75 customers ($750 per day). That means your weekly revenue is only $5,750 because you can't sell 100 meals per day on weekdays due to the lower demand on those days.

What to do? First, you increase the price on weekends to $15.00 per meal resulting in $1,500 on those days. Yeah, you'll chase some customers away because of the higher price, but because of the high demand on weekends, you can still sell out on those days. Result: $3,000 revenue on weekends.

Then, on weekdays, you reduce the price to $8.50 per meal. This entices some of the weekend customers who refused to pay the higher price to dine on a weekday instead, and draws in some completely new customers who were already averse to paying $10.00 per meal. Result: now you can sell 100 meals on each weekday also, resulting in $850 revenue per day. Total weekly revenue under new pricing plan: $7,250. An increase of $1,500 per week with no added work. Now you sell out each day, and you don't have to turn away as many customers (increased goodwill). You also haven't had to invest any capital in another location or equipment to increase sales.

Sure, this example is an oversimplification, but demand is always sensitive to price. Savvy businesses can spread out demand and increase overall revenue at the same time with pricing adjustments. Multiply by many millions and you can see what Disney has to gain by doing the same thing.

DizneyRox
06-02-2015, 09:48 PM
You also need to factor in that less people paying more also means less people to tend to. So there's a savings on less parking attendants, less maintenance required, less housekeeping needed, less kitchen staff, less water usage, etc. With the volumes that Disney deals with, little things add up quickly.

I used to do time and motion studies at my job. Saving 5 seconds per widget seems like nothing, but when you're making 200 widgets a day, and you have 200 people making them. 5 seconds make a pretty large impact.

mrte62
06-02-2015, 10:51 PM
I just am having a hard time seeing how this is crowd control of any sort. I read on Intercot somewhere, that the capacity for MNNSHP has been increased and the prices have gone up every year. I can tell you that October 9th of last year was sold out and it was quite crowded all night. So crowded, that my family will probably never do it again - simply not worth the hard ticket price.

It appears that Disney is being as brazen as the market will allow, with prices going up as quickly as possible for as long as possible. Will there be a point where it stops and their creative energy will not be so focused on new, creative and expensive ways to have us part with our money? In the short run, doesn't seem like Disney will have to.

IMHO no longer is it, "If you build it, they will come", but rather, "If you market it, package it and raise prices, while cutting back, they will come."

ChipNDale79
06-03-2015, 01:21 PM
I get the tiered pricing, I understand why they do it. Before we had kids we used to go in the "off times", and I would love to pay less than peak. The problem is, you aren't going to be paying less, its just a flat out massive increase in prices for the majority of people.

I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old, we are about to hit our prime disney years with them, but if this happens, sorry kids, we won't be visiting WDW.

In fact, my wife went so far this morning as to say "no more disney movies or toys in our house" if this happens.

Our boys watch mainly Disney Jr and the majority of their toys are Disney toys. I'm just flat out tired of the Iger money grap, Bob Iger has treated his customers at WDW like complete **** and continues to dive deeper and deeper into their pockets.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Disney is taking the lazy way out with WDW. Increase prices and shuttering attractions. The lack of imagination for WDW is embarrassing.

Enough is enough.

ChipNDale79
06-03-2015, 01:23 PM
I just am having a hard time seeing how this is crowd control of any sort. I read on Intercot somewhere, that the capacity for MNNSHP has been increased and the prices have gone up every year. I can tell you that October 9th of last year was sold out and it was quite crowded all night. So crowded, that my family will probably never do it again - simply not worth the hard ticket price.

It appears that Disney is being as brazen as the market will allow, with prices going up as quickly as possible for as long as possible. Will there be a point where it stops and their creative energy will not be so focused on new, creative and expensive ways to have us part with our money? In the short run, doesn't seem like Disney will have to.

IMHO no longer is it, "If you build it, they will come", but rather, "If you market it, package it and raise prices, while cutting back, they will come."

This confirms to me that Iger only looks at WDW in the short term, he's not looking at how this will all play out in the long term.

He's all about grabbing money, be with how much it off his customer base.

TheVBs
06-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Ok. Wow. I've peeked at and backed away from this subject a couple of times, because I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I kind of get what they would be trying to do with pricing here. And I kind of get that it may help lower crowds during prime times. But, if it doesn't, then people are paying premium prices for the least premium experience, i.e. horribly crowded times. If they charge more for a certain time of year, I agree that they need to bite the bullet and close the parks at a lower attendance level. It's similar to the whole MNSSHP experience we had. It was fun, but the value was diminished because the party was oversold and some things were too crowded to take part in. Just a thought.

magicofdisney
06-03-2015, 02:03 PM

This used to be my thinking for hard ticket events: because they let you in early, you can get up to eight hrs in the park for a reasonable amount of money. All rides are running and you get the special features from the event itself. Eight hours is longer than I sometimes spend in the park on a normal day. Granted, I'm a pass holder so I don't feel the need to spend from opening to closing there, but I know many would call eight hrs a good day. With the continual increase in hard ticket prices, this perceived value is diminishing. But people are still snatching up those tickets and joining the show (so to speak). So, yeah I think I agree, the crowd control theory may not be spot on.

NewDVCowner
06-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Ok. Wow. I've peeked at and backed away from this subject a couple of times, because I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I kind of get what they would be trying to do with pricing here. And I kind of get that it may help lower crowds during prime times. But, if it doesn't, then people are paying premium prices for the least premium experience, i.e. horribly crowded times. If they charge more for a certain time of year, I agree that they need to bite the bullet and close the parks at a lower attendance level. It's similar to the whole MNSSHP experience we had. It was fun, but the value was diminished because the party was oversold and some things were too crowded to take part in. Just a thought.

They need to cap the number of people that come into the parks on busy days, period. I know there have been some times that I've been caught in a mass of people and literally couldn't move. At the time I couldn't help but think how dangerous it was and what could happen if an actually emergency broke out and people panicked. Disney needs to look at that because their liability would be HUGE in that case.

joonyer
06-03-2015, 04:41 PM
They need to cap the number of people that come into the parks on busy days, period. I know there have been some times that I've been caught in a mass of people and literally couldn't move. At the time I couldn't help but think how dangerous it was and what could happen if an actually emergency broke out and people panicked. Disney needs to look at that because their liability would be HUGE in that case.

Well, they do exactly that. On the busiest days, MK (the most popular park) has a park closure system that works in phases. Only they don't publicly release the numbers on how many guests trigger those phases. Guests think it's too many people in the parks, but everybody who doesn't get in complains just as loudly about being kept out as the folks who get in do about it being too crowded.

From a customer standpoint, its easy to say well, "they should limit the number of guests to only enough that the customers who get into the parks think is comfortable and convenient". But Disney (or any seller of goods or services) then also would have to endure the complaints of all those customers who are denied access. And why on earth would they (or any business) want to sell less tickets than they could? Sell-outs are the goal of any entertainment business. Fill it up, whether concert hall, sports arena or theme park. That's the owner/promoter's purpose. The easy thing for them to do when demand far outstrips supply, is simply to increase prices. That lowers the number of buyers, by the buyers' choice (not a closed gate), helps to match demand more closely to the supply) and increases revenue at the same time.

They'd much rather hear complaints about "the price is too high, I can't afford it" (while still selling every ticket they have) than hear the complaints like "My family saved for this vacation for a 5 years and we drove for five days cross country through the broiling heat of summer just to spend the 4th of July in the Magic Kingdom, but you wouldn't let us in because the park was too full, and it was the only vacation we'll every be able to take" and on and on.

It's a no-brainer for business owners, but really irritating to the customers wanting access at the lower price they used to pay.

Main Street Jim
06-03-2015, 07:10 PM
They need to cap the number of people that come into the parks on busy days, period. I know there have been some times that I've been caught in a mass of people and literally couldn't move. At the time I couldn't help but think how dangerous it was and what could happen if an actually emergency broke out and people panicked. Disney needs to look at that because their liability would be HUGE in that case.The theme parks close in attendance phases that are set by the Fire Marshal of Reedy Creek Improvement District, the "governing body" of Walt Disney World.

If more guests are moving into "indoor attractions and shows", that means "more room for guests on the streets", so more guests actually make it *into* the parks. If guests are NOT "moving indoors" (shopping and dining included), then the park may close due to attendance earlier than you would think.

As far as the Halloween and Christmas parties, "sold out" usually meant about 35,000 people in the park - which is a *good* summer crowd. I've talked to my CM friends when I first started hearing complaints of the "crowds" during the parties, and have been told that that number was upped to about 38-40,000. You also have to remember that during those parties, not all attractions/shows/dining is open during those times, so that's that much "less room" where guests can go to alleviate the percieved "crowdedness".

As for this new proposal on ticket pricing, the *cheapest* tickets would be what today's *current* pricing is - and go UP from there during weekends and peak times. Joonyer made a perfect analogy.

BrerGnat
06-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Honestly, since I have never bought a one day ticket, this won't bother me. Ticket prices go up every year anyway, so that's nothing new either. It's just part of going there. It's expensive and always has been. My parents went in 1973 and back then, it was considered expensive too.

ChipNDale79
06-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Honestly, since I have never bought a one day ticket, this won't bother me. Ticket prices go up every year anyway, so that's nothing new either. It's just part of going there. It's expensive and always has been. My parents went in 1973 and back then, it was considered expensive too.

Tourings Plans Len Testa wrote a blog the other day, i believe this is the one:

http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/06/03/3-things-like-hate-disneys-tiered-ticket-price-proposal/

The increase on the multiple day tickets are interesting.

Note that there is a difference of $93 (an 88% price increase) from a 6 day to an 8 day ticket. Currently there is a $21 difference. I have a group of 10 going at the end of next month, we are planning on 6 days in the park, everyone but my family purchased the 6 day pass, my group purchased the 8 day pass for both the arrival and departure days.

We currently have a lunch planned at BOG for arrival day, and a character breakfast at hollywood and vine on departure date. We are spending money at both of those restaurants and not to mention anything else we purchase on those 2 days.

If Disney does move to this system, then I'll stick with the 6 day pass instead of the 8 day, therefore at least 2 meals in the parks and whatever else we spend in the parks on those days are out the window for them.

The thing I'm interested in finding out is the cost of the APs, if they stay somewhat the same, then this tells me that they are trying to push people towards the AP. We've done the math, and for us if we travel to Disney 2 years in a row, it saves money to purchase an AP instead of 2 weeks of 8 day park hoppers.

Hammer
06-04-2015, 10:33 AM
We currently have a lunch planned at BOG for arrival day, and a character breakfast at hollywood and vine on departure date. We are spending money at both of those restaurants and not to mention anything else we purchase on those 2 days.

If Disney does move to this system, then I'll stick with the 6 day pass instead of the 8 day, therefore at least 2 meals in the parks and whatever else we spend in the parks on those days are out the window for them.

While they will lose out on what you would have spent in the parks, they won't lose out on the money spent on meals, provided you cancel your ADRs. Someone else will snatch up both of those ADRs within a few minutes of cancellation, especially BOG.

BrerGnat
06-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Note that there is a difference of $93 (an 88% price increase) from a 6 day to an 8 day ticket. Currently there is a $21 difference. I have a group of 10 going at the end of next month, we are planning on 6 days in the park, everyone but my family purchased the 6 day pass, my group purchased the 8 day pass for both the arrival and departure days.

But you already bought your tickets. This change won't happen overnight (if it even happens, which is not even a certainty yet...not even close to a certainty in fact). This won't affect your next trip at all.

Cinderelley
06-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Tourings Plans Len Testa wrote a blog the other day, i believe this is the one:

http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/06/03/3-things-like-hate-disneys-tiered-ticket-price-proposal/

The comment about DHS made me laugh.

ChipNDale79
06-04-2015, 11:08 AM
While they will lose out on what you would have spent in the parks, they won't lose out on the money spent on meals, provided you cancel your ADRs. Someone else will snatch up both of those ADRs within a few minutes of cancellation, especially BOG.

Yeah, your right, but the chances are, whomever snags my reservation for BOG already has reservations somewhere else on property, which they would then cancel. There's still a lose of a meal(2) somewhere on property, not to mention the lose of any souvenirs or snacks from those 2 days.

If every restaurant was booked solid, then what you're saying is 100% true, that someone waiting in the wings to take our place. But not every restaurant is booked 100%, therefore people who cannot get BOG reservations are getting them somewhere else. They simply will just move their reservation from a place where someone isnt waiting in the wings, to BOG. A meal is still lost.

Then again, they'll make up that money from people that are willing to spend the extra money to get in the park. But for my family, it just makes it easier to say "no thanks" to extra days at WDW. Those arrival and departure date trips to the park are just simply a nice add on for us for now, the price makes it easy for us to swallow and spend more time (and money) in the parks.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2015, 11:09 AM
This change won't happen overnight (if it even happens, which is not even a certainty yet...not even close to a certainty in fact).

Ummmm..... you sure about that?

ChipNDale79
06-04-2015, 11:09 AM
But you already bought your tickets. This change won't happen overnight (if it even happens, which is not even a certainty yet...not even close to a certainty in fact). This won't affect your next trip at all.

I know, but i'm on intercot, which means i'm a disney fanatic and i plan on going more than once in my lifetime haha.

This would effect future trips for us, not the current one. :mickey:

BrerGnat
06-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Ummmm..... you sure about that?

It was a leaked survey question. There has been no official mention by Disney that they are going to this. Yet.

NewDVCowner
06-04-2015, 11:26 AM
The theme parks close in attendance phases that are set by the Fire Marshal of Reedy Creek Improvement District, the "governing body" of Walt Disney World.

If more guests are moving into "indoor attractions and shows", that means "more room for guests on the streets", so more guests actually make it *into* the parks. If guests are NOT "moving indoors" (shopping and dining included), then the park may close due to attendance earlier than you would think.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. While understand that they have a set number of where they currently cap it, I've certainly been in the park at certain times where it was packed shoulder to shoulder (in a walkway, not waiting for fireworks or a parade), honestly unable to move in any direction, where I've been truly concerned about what would happen if an emergency came up. That, to me, says that they need to reevaluate their numbers cap.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2015, 12:39 PM
It was a leaked survey question. There has been no official mention by Disney that they are going to this. Yet.
Um, it wasn't leaked... At least not by some random person anyway... It may APPEAR to be a random person getting a random survey... it wasn't... It was leaked by Disney... purposely... So, yea in that sense it was leaked... They are just trying to soften the blow when this comes to be... Maybe it is better described as being planted by Disney... Not leaked...

BrerGnat
06-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Um, it wasn't leaked... At least not by some random person anyway... It may APPEAR to be a random person getting a random survey... it wasn't... It was leaked by Disney... purposely... So, yea in that sense it was leaked... They are just trying to soften the blow when this comes to be... Maybe it is better described as being planted by Disney... Not leaked...

Can you prove this?

Daisy'sMom
06-04-2015, 02:02 PM
We have talked it over and have decided if this does become fact, we are not renewing our APs. We will try some of the other attractions in the area. Corporate Disneys first mistake was hiring Staggs. Greedy man

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Can you prove this?
Can I? Yep... Will I? Nope... Not going to reveal names, sources, nothing... Sorry, but I rather keep the trusted sources than burn bridges and get people in trouble... You should know and understand that...

But think about who "leaked" the survey (a lifestyler originally), and how fast the media suddenly picked up on it from said lifestyler... Connect the dots...

BrerGnat
06-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Can I? Yep... Will I? Nope... Not going to reveal names, sources, nothing... Sorry, but I rather keep the trusted sources than burn bridges and get people in trouble... You should know and understand that...

But think about who "leaked" the survey (a lifestyler originally), and how fast the media suddenly picked up on it from said lifestyler... Connect the dots...

What in the world would Disney gain by purposefully leaking something that almost everyone is outraged by and completely against? Seems like a really stupid move. If they were going to seriously implement this, they would do it with NO warning, and not give anyone time to analyze it or post it all over the internet and Twitter. Otherwise they spend a whole lot of time and effort dealing with a p.o.ed customer base before the darn change is even made.

joonyer
06-04-2015, 05:22 PM
What in the world would Disney gain by purposefully leaking something that almost everyone is outraged by and completely against? Seems like a really stupid move. If they were going to seriously implement this, they would do it with NO warning, and not give anyone time to analyze it or post it all over the internet and Twitter. Otherwise they spend a whole lot of time and effort dealing with a p.o.ed customer base before the darn change is even made.

One advantage would be so they could say "we listened to the survey response and we heard you", and then instead of implementing the pricing scheme proposed in the survey, they simply raise prices in a different or less dramatic method, which doesn't seem quite so harsh or steep as the surveys made it appear that it would. Businesses do this kind of thing all the time, they test the waters with some kind of really big dramatic proposal, and then implement instead smaller, less startling change that customers don't oppose so vehemently. They end up in the long run with the same deal, only in really small steps. Kinda like the frog in the pot of at first cool water, but slowly, slowly, coming to a boil without ever jumping out.

BrerGnat
06-04-2015, 05:27 PM
I understand that method, but it's no secret that Disney raises ticket prices approximately twice yearly. Anything less would be shocking at this point.

mrte62
06-04-2015, 07:53 PM
As far as the Halloween and Christmas parties, "sold out" usually meant about 35,000 people in the park - which is a *good* summer crowd. I've talked to my CM friends when I first started hearing complaints of the "crowds" during the parties, and have been told that that number was upped to about 38-40,000. You also have to remember that during those parties, not all attractions/shows/dining is open during those times, so that's that much "less room" where guests can go to alleviate the percieved "crowdedness".

We entered the MK for MNSSHP about 5:15 pm. Very crowded. We stayed until almost midnight, mainly because we wanted to ride the Mine Train - wait time never got below 45 minutes. (we sucked it up and did ride). The crowds never let up - lines, lines and more lines.

Had last done the MNSSHP several years ago when the price for adults was $34.95. Wonderful evening not too crowded, just enjoyed everything. Not any more.

Main Street Jim
06-04-2015, 08:16 PM
We entered the MK for MNSSHP about 5:15 pm. Very crowded....because you had MNSSHP guests that came in at the 4:00 timeframe, plus day guests that were already in the park (and allowed to do so until 7:00pm).

We stayed until almost midnight, mainly because we wanted to ride the Mine Train - wait time never got below 45 minutes. (we sucked it up and did ride). The crowds never let up - lines, lines and more lines.Again, because it's a "new" attraction and "everyone wants to ride the new stuff".

Had last done the MNSSHP several years ago when the price for adults was $34.95. Wonderful evening not too crowded, just enjoyed everything. Not any more.I agree - the "hard-ticket" events should be price- and attendance-capped, not nearly worth the almsot-$70 ticket these days, especially when they're taking things away and not adding to the experience...

joonyer
06-04-2015, 11:55 PM
. . . I agree - the "hard-ticket" events should be price- and attendance-capped, not nearly worth the almsot-$70 ticket these days, especially when they're taking things away and not adding to the experience...

I don't think the parties are worth that price either, but apparently at least 35,000 to 40,000 people per night disagree with us, because they are buying them.

Makes it hard to blame Disney for selling them when demand is apparently so much greater than capacity.

DANAM
06-05-2015, 12:40 AM

If this was the Saturday before Memorial Day after Wishes we must have been at the same place thinking the same thing. Disney really needs to do something about the crowd situation. I really thought we were going to have a bad situation on our hand. I even told both my children if something happens and you get pushed don't wait up just meet at Space Mountain. My son is prone to panic attacks in crowds and I told my husband, if he starts to panic we are in big trouble. I was struck by one woman with a stroller 3 times. I could stop or scoot to the side. The crowd was all together. Not a good situation.

I agree something has to be done but I dont know if this is what they need. Maybe hire a better Event Coordinator. Someone who specializes in crowd control and how to get guest from A to B safely because I definitely didn't feel safe that night.

Goofy4TheWorld
06-05-2015, 12:48 PM
If this was the Saturday before Memorial Day after Wishes we must have been at the same place thinking the same thing. Disney really needs to do something about the crowd situation. I really thought we were going to have a bad situation on our hand. I even told both my children if something happens and you get pushed don't wait up just meet at Space Mountain. My son is prone to panic attacks in crowds and I told my husband, if he starts to panic we are in big trouble. I was struck by one woman with a stroller 3 times. I could stop or scoot to the side. The crowd was all together. Not a good situation.

I agree something has to be done but I dont know if this is what they need. Maybe hire a better Event Coordinator. Someone who specializes in crowd control and how to get guest from A to B safely because I definitely didn't feel safe that night.

Yep, that was the day. Despite being Disney veterans, my family made a series of bad decisions where we were chasing short wait times (which didn't exist) and a last-minute parade and Wishes viewing, all on opposites sides of Main Street. Finally I put my foot down and said we are going to hunker down somewhere close to the Tomorrowland bypass exit to watch what we could, but when we got there the bypass (which was open earlier in the day) was now closed!

It would have been bad enough if the story ended there, but Main Street was nothing compared to the bus stop. The third bus canopy was at a complete standstill, we stood 15 minutes behind a mass of people 650 feet long and 40+ feet wide, and not a soul moved 12 inches in 15 minutes. I have never seen such a mess in my life, and I really lack an explanation as to what was going on, because the other two bus canopies were moving people along at a steady pace. My only guess is that it appeared that there was now a TTC bus stop on row 3 and all of these people were waiting to catch a bus to the TTC and were completely blocking my access to the Pop bus stop, which was further down than the TTC bus stop.

We were standing right at the split between bus row 2 and row 3, so we backed out of row 3 and I decided we were going to take the first Deluxe bus we walked past out of this mess and then catch a cab back to Pop, which ended up taking us to Yacht Club (we even got to sit on the bus it was so empty) and then on to Pop via a cab. I would not be surprised if there may still be people standing in that line 13 days later waiting on rations to be delivered by Nation Guardsmen.

Exiting a packed Magic Kingdom has become scarier that riding ToT, they should probably start checking children's height before allowing them on Main Street after 8:30pm, or maybe we could get a FP+ to get preferred exiting? To me, the MK has expanded capacity for the area beyond Main Street by many multiples over the years, but Main Street remains the same 60 feet wide it was in 1971 and it simply cannot safely clear the park anymore.

DNS
06-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Its already incredibly complicated for the average person - this would only compound things.

Stop the madness.

I totally agree! People often ask me for help in planning their Disney vacation for a first trip, but just the dining reservations and telling people how they have to keep trying 6 months out, etc. to get the restaurants they want along with trying to explain FP+ and how you have to plan so much ahead even for your rides gives me an eye roll headache! The magic is rapidly leaving "The World" :(

Tekneek
06-05-2015, 08:16 PM
What to do? First, you increase the price on weekends to $15.00 per meal resulting in $1,500 on those days. Yeah, you'll chase some customers away because of the higher price, but because of the high demand on weekends, you can still sell out on those days. Result: $3,000 revenue on weekends.

Then, on weekdays, you reduce the price to $8.50 per meal.

Sure, this example is an oversimplification...

Of course, the Disney way would not involve any price decrease. Disney would increase the weekday price also, just not as much as the weekend goes up.

texas211
06-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Pretty soon you'll need a PHd from MIT to plan your Disney vacation. Who would have thought differential equations and theoretical physics would come in handy when I want to plan my trip to WDW.

Cinderelley
06-06-2015, 01:01 AM
Pretty soon you'll need a PHd from MIT to plan your Disney vacation. Who would have thought differential equations and theoretical physics would come in handy when I want to plan my trip to WDW.

That the ride you booked your fastpass + for would theoretically be working? :P

joonyer
06-06-2015, 10:42 AM
They already have seasonal pricing for the hotels. Why should park passes be any different? Several theme parks have been doing this for years. I don't like it, but I can understand why they think this would be a good thing to try. Remember the old ticket books? That was another form of tiered pricing, the most popular attractions cost more. Since they changed decades ago to "pay-one-price for everything" admission, this is a way for them to go back to a tiered pricing theme. It's not much different than paying one rate for a resort hotel in January and having to pay a lot more for the same hotel during Christmas/New Years holiday periods.

Tekneek
06-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Seasonal pricing is one thing, varying prices from one day to the next is going to be an administrative nightmare for both guests and the company.

What about a highly discounted ticket to get into the parks, which then allows you to buy access to particular attractions on a sliding scale based on two factors: the quality of the ride (A, B, C, D, E) and the popularity of the attraction on that day (how busy it is)? You can still pay the insane $100+ for the one-size-fits-all ticket, but allow people to get in for less that may only want to ride 2 or 3 things and are willing to pay for them separately. If they really want to play this game, let's take it all the way to this end. Give people a REAL set of choices, by only paying for what they actually use.

texas211
06-06-2015, 01:37 PM
IF they want to charge more, I'd rather they use a Universal system, and have Fastpass for pay.

I certainly don't want to be there w/ a Ticket booklet mentality. People trying to make more decisions on the fly in the park. People can't handle that.

Tekneek
06-06-2015, 02:22 PM
I certainly don't want to be there w/ a Ticket booklet mentality. People trying to make more decisions on the fly in the park. People can't handle that.

I don't really see that as a preferred option, nor is this Gold/Silver/Bronze day thing a good option either. If that is the game Disney wants to play, though, then there a lot of things they should address. They will have already broken a relatively simple system by banding each day in different categories. If they want to make this complicated, let's offer real choices. With about 46 days a year where MK has limited hours due to hard-ticket events, they are already making out like bandits by charging the same price on those days. They are practically double-dipping once a week all year.

Terra
06-10-2015, 05:13 PM

Agree with you. One of my fondest memories is taking a week long vacation with my mom when I was 10 years old to Disneyland. There was some program through her work at the time in the pharmacy industry that gave some kind of Discount if you went to DL.

But it was still expensive for her [especially as a single parent] and it was a rare treat! As an adult, I really see now what she sacrificed to do it. But to this day, I'm 44, those memories are as fresh and fun as they were the day we arrived. It's one of the best times I remember with just my mom and I :cloud9:

And yes there were things then that even irritated her about DL [that she told me about as an adult], but she made if fun for me and I would have never ever known that. "It was worth every penny, and every irritation to see you smile and see the magic", she told me.