PDA

View Full Version : Walking Path for Monorail resorts?

PirateLover
05-26-2015, 07:50 PM
I know this has been asked before and I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is there a walking path connecting all of the Monorail resorts?
Looks like we might be staying at the Contemporary for a few days in December, and relatives are staying at the Poly. We don't mind a nice walk, so I was hoping not to have to take the monorail every time we wanted to go over there and hang out with them. :cool:

John
05-26-2015, 08:33 PM
That would be a negative. The walk around the world was planned but never completed.

The portions completed are...

- Mk to contemporary

- GF to Poly to TTC

Mk heads in the direction of the GF but ends where a bridge would be required to cross the water.

If you want, take the monorail one stop to the TTC and enjoy the stroll to the poly and then on to the Grand Floridian :)

John
05-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Btw, my theory is that someone woke up and figured out that if they completed that bridge or walk that day guests to the parks might start crowding the Deluxe Monorail Resorts - and they decided to pull the plug.

I could be wrong.... At least I got my brick in front if the Magic Kingdom! 😁

joonyer
05-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Btw, my theory is that someone woke up and figured out that if they completed that bridge or walk that day guests to the parks might start crowding the Deluxe Monorail Resorts - and they decided to pull the plug.

Well that makes sense, except that park guests can still go to the monorail resorts all they want to, even easier than walking, on the monorail!

PirateLover
05-26-2015, 09:03 PM
If you want, take the monorail one stop to the TTC and enjoy the stroll to the poly and then on to the Grand Floridian :)

Great point! I forgot about that. That's why you're the best! Thanks for the info!:number1:

John
05-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Well that makes sense, except that park guests can still go to the monorail resorts all they want to, even easier than walking, on the monorail!

Used to be they would check for your resort card id to get on the resort monorail. You also had to show a guard at a shack on the way over to the contemporary if you wanted to walk that way... But I'm old enough to remember that.

I guess if you could just wander over, it might make it easier. Truth is, the infrastructure and cost probably is the real reason 😉

AndrewJackson
05-31-2015, 08:01 AM
Used to be they would check for your resort card id to get on the resort monorail. You also had to show a guard at a shack on the way over to the contemporary if you wanted to walk that way... But I'm old enough to remember that.

I guess if you could just wander over, it might make it easier. Truth is, the infrastructure and cost probably is the real reason ��

The small canal that would have to be crossed is the staging area for the barges that carry the Electrical Water Pageant. It appears that the screens on those barges sit as high as 20 feet, maybe even higher. A bridge that high with that short of a span would be a rather steep grade, or they would have to construct a couple of flights of stairs on each end similar to the new pedestrian bridge at Downtown Disney. I can see that getting pretty expensive.

John
05-31-2015, 09:35 AM
The small canal that would have to be crossed is the staging area for the barges that carry the Electrical Water Pageant. It appears that the screens on those barges sit as high as 20 feet, maybe even higher. A bridge that high with that short of a span would be a rather steep grade, or they would have to construct a couple of flights of stairs on each end similar to the new pedestrian bridge at Downtown Disney. I can see that getting pretty expensive.

Drawbridge... 😁

Only real solution but one that could have been done given the boats only roll out once a night.

faline
05-31-2015, 10:28 AM

Me too. I also remember a cast member standing at the entrance to the monorail at Epcot and you had to show a resort ID card to start up the ramp to the monorail.

DizneyRox
05-31-2015, 12:45 PM
That canal is connected to the Rivers of America and needs to be able to get the Liberty Belle out for drydock.

I'm sure it's an expense thing though. Even at $50-$125 a brick (pretty sure that was the cost back in the mid 90's) it probably didn't cover the cost.

Polynesian Dweller
05-31-2015, 06:51 PM
That canal is connected to the Rivers of America and needs to be able to get the Liberty Belle out for drydock.

I'm sure it's an expense thing though. Even at $50-$125 a brick (pretty sure that was the cost back in the mid 90's) it probably didn't cover the cost.

Its also used for barges to take large items to and from backstage areas.

The span is fairly large and they would run into a few problems creating it. It would have to be wheelchair and ECV compliant which would mean 240 ft of ramp on each side assuming a 20ft rise. So a fixed bridge would be out of the question.

So it would have to be a lift bridge. But that means controlling the access. In this world of liability it would likely mean CMs at both sides ensuring the bridge is clear before moving. They could try automated surveillance but that isn't reliable and does no good for the inevitable people who would ignore gates. So, real people at real cost.

So a bridge costing several million with non- trivial operating costs means it's a no go. The ROI just isn't there.