PDA

View Full Version : Disney visa cards?

masonlovesdisney
05-20-2015, 03:56 PM
I have no idea where to post this at, so just posting it here...

Are the Disney Premier cards and the Disney visa cards really worth it? Ive been thinking about getting one, but only 1% back on a full dollar of purchases, besides the 10% off merchandise, is kind of lacking to me.

Any good?

John
05-20-2015, 04:43 PM

Are the Disney Premier cards and the Disney visa cards really worth it? Ive been thinking about getting one, but only 1% back on a full dollar of purchases, besides the 10% off merchandise, is kind of lacking to me.

Any good?

Probably as good a place as any - since you essentially have the card to accumulate $$ towards Disney items.

Are they any good? Probably from a pure credit card standpoint - not that great, especially if you don't pay your balance off every month.

That being said, I know a lot of folks (moderators included) have them just for the coolness of the card. It's a way of showing others that you have a love for Disney.

I'll be honest, I had one but the novelty wore off.

Me, I carry my Amex Gold rewards card and that's good enough for me.

Good article on the best cards for different reasons is here -
http://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards

BrerGnat
05-20-2015, 04:45 PM
The premiere card has been great for us. We use it for all our normal monthly charges and pay it in full every month. We get 2% on gas, groceries, and restaurants. Our Target store counts as "grocery" which is great. I have enough rewards dollars to buy a Deluxe DL Annual Pass. And that is only rewards earned since November. :blush:

faline
05-20-2015, 05:19 PM
We use the credit card for most of our purchases and do pay off the balance in full every month. Primarily, we have used the card to purchase annual passes and, most recently, our park passes at Disneyland.

BrerGnat
05-20-2015, 06:31 PM
I should mention that I am all about leveraging credit cards for the associated perks. I have an Amex Gold that has been great and our annual fee gets waived because of our military status.

We initially got the Disney Visa because they were offering a $200 Disney Gift card after you spent $500 on the card in the first three months. A free $200 was a stellar deal and the basic card has no annual fee. The upgraded Premiere card still only has a $69 annual fee which is not bad.

My husband and I each applied for a Southwest Visa and were approved. The offer at the time was 50,000 bonus miles. We were able to buy six flights with that so it was well worth it. When we are planning a trip somewhere we switch to the SW visa for everyday purchases and have more free tickets in no time.

The key is to keep the balances at $0 and rotate using them as your situation changes.

We will be buying 4 DL annual passes next month so have been racking up Disney rewards dollars like mad to take some of the edge off the price.

Forgot to mention, the Premiere Disney Visa also lets you use your reward dollars to book flights on any airline, anytime. They simply credit your account after you book the flight through their portal.

John
05-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Six flights with 50k points? Where did you go?

That offer is still good but the card does cost 100 bucks a year I believe. Still would be worth getting and canceling after year one.

Cinderelley
05-20-2015, 06:53 PM
I don't use credit cards. If you are looking solely for the credit card benefits, I couldn't say one way or another. I do have the Chase Disney debit card though, and I still got all the discounts in the parks that you get with the credit card. It may be another alternative for you.

BrerGnat
05-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Six flights with 50k points? Where did you go?

That offer is still good but the card does cost 100 bucks a year I believe. Still would be worth getting and canceling after year one.

The four of us flew to CA from VA. Then I flew to Orlando from VA and my husband flew from VA to Chicago.

I am REALLY good at finding cheap airfare on Southwest. Each flight leg cost around 8,000 points or so.

And, they do charge you $99 per year, but they also give you $99 worth of Southwest Points (AND four drink coupons) on your card anniversary, so it's a wash.

Ian
05-20-2015, 11:30 PM
We have a Disney Visa. We use it exclusively to pay for our trips and get the extra points and rewards. We don't carry a balance or use it for anything else. I think it works well the way we use it.

Yungbuck73
05-21-2015, 12:51 AM
You also get 6 months no interest in Disney vacations. Also if you use to book a Disney cruise you get $50 onboard credit just for using the Disney Visa card. I don't have the premier card just the regular card.

Figment104
05-21-2015, 10:34 AM
We have the Premier card as well, and really find it a nice way to rack up some extra savings for our trips to Disney. Plus with the premier card we can use those dollars towards a credit for plane tickets that we purchase using the card too. Maybe not the best use of the dollars, but if we didn't have a trip coming up and had a lot of dollars that would be another option.

We charge everything to the card and pay it in full every month, so we rack up quite a few dollars, as some of our highest purchase categories are gas, grocery, and restaurant which all earn 2%. I love the fact they count Target as grocery so that we earn 2% there too.

One of the reasons I like it over some of the other rewards cards where you earn cash back, is that I can use my dollars at any time. Once the statement closes the dollars are available to be used. What I've found with quite a few of the cash back cards is that you get a check or the cash back once a year. I'm sure not all of them are like that, but depending on when they do their cash back it might not work with my trip plans (if that makes sense).

For us it's been a great card to have, and the 0% for 6 months for Disney travel is nice too. We've used this once, where we decided more last minute to go, and didn't want to withdraw the trip amount from our savings account right that minute since we had an unexpected large purchase come up, and we knew we'd have the money to cover the trip within the following 2-3 months. It's definitely a personal preference if it makes sense for you.

VacationDisney
05-21-2015, 11:55 AM
We have the Premier card as well. We pay it off every month. We love it!

Our last trip we had $1000.00 to apply to our stay at AKL. There is no way that we'd be able to stay there unless there is some sort of discount, 30% off was available this last trip, PLUS the rewards we had saved made the trip a reality:mickey:

For us, anyway, the annual fee pays for itself when we go to WDW every year or 2:cloud9:

i'm grumpy
05-21-2015, 04:21 PM
If you spend more than $50 on souvenirs, would you have to choose the 10% or applying the reward dollars?

BrerGnat
05-21-2015, 06:11 PM
If you spend more than $50 on souvenirs, would you have to choose the 10% or applying the reward dollars?

No. You get the 10%. Rewards dollars are placed onto a separate card that is basically a gift card. You can show your Disney Visa for the discount and then pay with the Rewards gift card.

BrerGnat
05-21-2015, 06:12 PM
The card also gives you a free 5 x 7 photo with characters at designated locations in Epcot and DCA. Characters vary.

i'm grumpy
05-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Great! Thanks.

TheVBs
05-23-2015, 01:32 PM
We love our Disney Visa! We had the regular one for a long time, then upgraded to the premier a few years ago. Like others have said, there are likely better rewards programs out there if you compare, but you have to look at what you'll really use them for. We rarely fly, so getting miles doesn't appeal to us.

As others have said, you only benefit from the reward dollars if you pay it off in full every month. We use it for all of our daily expenses and pay it off every month. We typically go to WDW every other year, so we've had some very nice rewards balances to use on trips.

One thing that I really, really love is that 1 Disney Dollar actually equals $1. Nothing annoys me more than a program that uses a points system with inflated points compared to the offerings. Like, say, you need 15,000 points to get $5, or 30,000 points to get a toaster. No thank you.

VWL Mom
05-23-2015, 03:10 PM
We rarely fly, so getting miles doesn't appeal to us.

One of the choices with the Premier Visa is you can use your reward dollars as a credit against airfare on your statement. So even though you're not getting mileage points you still have that option.

manutd1
05-23-2015, 09:23 PM
We have the Disney visa. Love it. Whenever a family member needs to make a big purchase....I do it. Then they pay me. It all adds up!

i'm grumpy
05-30-2015, 09:30 PM
I asked at all the stores. Only one said I could have the 10% with the rewards card. :(

TheVBs
05-31-2015, 07:33 AM
One of the choices with the Premier Visa is you can use your reward dollars as a credit against airfare on your statement. So even though you're not getting mileage points you still have that option.

True! I knew that, but tend to forget about it.

We have the Disney visa. Love it. Whenever a family member needs to make a big purchase....I do it. Then they pay me. It all adds up!

Good idea! Never thought of that.

faline
05-31-2015, 10:25 AM
I asked at all the stores. Only one said I could have the 10% with the rewards card. :(

I'm surprised that any said you could get a discount with the rewards card. Are you saying they would not apply the 10% discount if you showed your Disney Visa card but were using your rewards card to make the actual payment? I thought you could pay any way you wanted as long as you had a document that showed you qualified for a discount.

BrerGnat
05-31-2015, 11:11 AM

Then the rest of the stores were wrong. You can always ask a manager if the CM helping you says that.

Imalismom
06-01-2015, 06:45 AM

Any good?

I "just" closed mine. but when I had it it paid off very nicely for me. I "had" a daughter in college (she just graduated two weeks ago) at Florida Institute of Technology. I ran all her college costs through that card. That was enough points for me to get her an annual pass every year, AND a free plane trip home at Christmas time. She is now living in Maryland, and there is no longer a huge tuition bill to run through the card, so it was closed.

As others have said, it you don't pay it off monthly, it has a very high interest rate compared to other cards that give you rewards. But if you have a child in college, it is very worth it, it you are a frequent Disney guest or a person who flies on a plane a lot.

Priority Four
06-01-2015, 01:21 PM
My brother built a house a few years back. Put Lumber, roofing, flooring, and a bunch of sub contractors thru his Disney Visa. Paid for almost an entire trip for his family.

i'm grumpy
06-01-2015, 01:40 PM
The first CM asked another and she said no. I thought she was a manager, but I don't know. The second shop, the CM said no! Didn’t even ask if I wanted to charge it instead. :mad:

PirateLover
06-02-2015, 10:27 PM
We just decided to make the switch to premier. I've been a Disney Visa card holder for over 10 years now. Since we go to WDW every 1-2 years, it works out well for us. We never carry a balance and use our rewards points for dining and souvenirs when we take our trips. When I first joined, they offered more chances towards increasing your points. I disntinctly remember offers for 3x and even 5x rewards points for certain months on gas and groceries. Once they introduced the premier card, we stopped getting those offers. We didn't sign up just because we didn't like the idea of a fee- but we realize with how much we put on the card it's definitely worth it.

BrerGnat
06-03-2015, 01:13 PM
The first CM asked another and she said no. I thought she was a manager, but I don't know. The second shop, the CM said no! Didn’t even ask if I wanted to charge it instead. :mad:

The discount is actually not available at all the stores, though. And, when it is available, there is a $50 minimum pre tax purchase.

i'm grumpy
06-03-2015, 01:49 PM
:confused: I did have $50 at each.

BrerGnat
06-03-2015, 03:06 PM
:confused: I did have $50 at each.

What stores?

From what I recall, it's only at Emporium at MK, Mouse Gear at Epcot, World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy at DTD and one store on the main drag at DHS as well as the main entry gift shop at AK.

i'm grumpy
06-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Oh ok. :thumbsup: TOT shop and resort shop.

BrerGnat
06-03-2015, 03:47 PM
It is available in some resort shops. We were able to use it at the Yacht Club shop.

E-Ticket4
06-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Is there a fee to upgrade to the Premier Visa?

BrerGnat
06-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Is there a fee to upgrade to the Premier Visa?

It has an annual fee of $59, which I think is completely reasonable since the earning power is 2x on many categories.