PDA

View Full Version : Vero Beach

Advnt05
05-19-2015, 03:31 PM
I've never been on a cruise but I would imagine that this is what it is similar to in experience. We rented a 1-bedroom suite which had a large bed. In addition, the living area has a pull-out sofa that sleeps two and a separate pull-out chair that sleeps one. My unit also had a pack-in play and a high chair if you have small ones. My friends had the studio next to us which had a bed and a small kitchen (refrig and sink). I imagine for a 2-bedroom, you get the 1 bedroom unit and a studio. The 1 bedroom also has an oven, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and things like plates, cups, etc...
The resort is self contained with several food options. There is the pool side bar which has food/ice cream/drink options (yes they even have the Dole pineapple whips!) as well as the walk up drink self serve area if you have the refillable mugs. We ate almost every day the $13 bucket of steamed shrimp. You keep the sand pale and shovel that comes with it. At the end of the week, we had about 6 of them. We ate at Sonya's one night and the food and service was great. I will say I was a little disappointed in the Pirate character meal. The food is all you can eat but a little country buffet quality. You pay more for the characters (Goofy and Donald) but they walk around frequently and interact often. Compared to some meals at the park, I think I would pass on this option next time unless you really have to see the two characters. We did the Sunday brunch as well and it was fantastic. I would highly recommend that as it had carved beef, custom omelets, crab legs, sushi, kids options, salads, desserts and much more. We also went to the local Publix and bough stuff for lunches and breakfast. You can save that way.
The pool at the resort is the hub of activity. It seemed like every 1 hour, there was another event which keeps your family entertained all day long. My kids loved the water slide races. There were trivia contests, guess the song, limbo, crafts and much more. There is also a 9 hole miniature golf course around the pool where a person can play unlimited all week for $5. There is also a Tiger Lilly ship/splash pad area for smaller kids to enjoy. In addition, guests have access to ping pong, shuffle board, tennis, basketball, archery and a small nature trail which are all included. The campfire is a must. The employees lead in songs and cheers which make it thoroughly enjoyable. The s'mores are unlimited with the current record eaten at around 28 or so.
Lastly, there is the beach. The beach spans the resort border. and is nice and wide. The ocean was very clear the first 5 days and a little choppy at the end. We ended up driving to a local Publix and buying small beach chairs and an umbrella. Chair rentals by Disney are nicer but go at $15 a day. If you stay more than 2-3 days, it is worth having your own. We gave ours away when we left to someone else.
We essentially stayed busy all week and never left the resort except for 3 dinners at local seafood places. Some guests signed up for kayak trips and fishing trips. Disney will help organize. Otherwise, all contained and a great week!

CanadianWDWFan
05-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the report! :thumbsup:

We are staying at Vero before our cruise this summer and are really excited to check it out. Thanks for the heads up about the chairs, we are driving down so we will definitely be bringing chairs with us.

How close was the Publix? We were thinking of stopping off at a local store before we arrive to pick up all of our food and drink stuff.

VWL Mom
05-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the report, brunch sounds wonderful! I hope to get to stay there (and Hilton Head) one day.

faline
05-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Vero Beach is definitely on my list of places to visit!!

sonamae80
05-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the report! I'm happy to hear the brunch on Sunday is so good! We have reservations for that while we are there in late July! And I'm even more happy to hear about all the fun stuff for kids around the pool! :)

AgentC
05-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the report. Vero is one of our favorite "relaxing" vacations

Advnt05
05-22-2015, 04:17 PM
The Publix is about 10 minutes away. You go North out of the resort, take the first left to cross the bridge over to Hwy 1. Go up on Hwy 1 and there is the Publix and various drug stores. Unlike CO where I live, this Publix has a full wine and beer section too so you can stock up and avoid some costs back at the resort. Remember to take plastic cups as everything in the room is glass (unless you buy the refillable mug). The plastic is good by the pool and beach.

CanadianWDWFan
05-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the update! We will hit there before we check in, plus got to get my beer supplies for our cruise on the Fantasy as well! :beer:

Thanks for the tip on the plastic cups. :cheers:

princessgirls
05-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks for sharing!

An amazing week!!!!

Julie:mickey: