PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to talk Mad Men finale? Spoilers will be in this thread.

AgentC
05-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Whose ready to discuss the Mad Men finale?

Here are some of my thoughts that I posted on FB

The more I think about the episode the more I like it.

At first I was unsure about the Don part. Everyone else worked for me. I always felt the Peggy/Stan part was under the surface so it didn't feel rushed for me as many have complained about plus I'm always a sucker for a romance. And I liked that Peggy could have a career she wanted plus a life outside the office.

I'm glad Pete had his chance for redemption. In some ways I felt his story mirrored Don's over the year just without the self loathing so it took less introspection for him to change. I also liked how they left it with him and Peggy.

Harry- Nothing to say except wow that coat.

Roger- It felt right. It took a long time but he finally manned up and grew up. Well not totally but just enough.

Joan- She managed to step put on her own and be judged for what she could do. I think that is what she always wanted.

The Betty/Don phone call was the one scene that made me cry. There was always something so tragic about how they were prefect for each other yet utterly wrong for each other at the same time.

So the Don part.

When I finished watching it, I thought I wanted more. Something definite that said , "this is it" and that Don either became a better man or failed but after reading a lot of commentary today particularly the articles in the Hollywood Reporter and VOX (who totally called it), I'm okay with it. I wish I had time to site down and watch the whole 7 seasons marathon because there was lots of foreshadowing that you forget over the years, though I should have noticed the heavy handed Coke references.

I think in the end he did redeem himself because he was able to accept who he was. He didn't necessarily change but by being able to accept who he was and what his life was, I like to think he moved forward without the self destructive behavior and became a better man.

What does everyone else think?

MNNHFLTX
05-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Still digesting it all in my head, but I have to say that I agree with many of your points, Cindy. Don came full circle in many ways. And now we are to assume that he adapted and took his creative genius into a new era. I thought it was really fitting. Still somewhat ambiguous, but in a satisfying way.

As far as the other characters, I thought their storylines were tied up fairly well, so that they could move on to new ventures. Still thinking about it.

CleveSJM
05-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Great points. Spot on in my opinion.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

At first, I was pretty "meh" about the final episode but it gets better thinking about it.

Imagine if someone saw that old Coke commercial and wondered, "How did that come about?" Well, to truly answer that (fictionally) just watch this TV series... Pretty cool to think the whole series can be the answer to one simple question.

MNNHFLTX
05-18-2015, 04:57 PM
As far as the other characters, I thought their storylines were tied up fairly well, so that they could move on to new ventures.
Except for Betty and Sally, I wanted to add. That last scene with them was so sad.

BrerGnat
05-18-2015, 06:24 PM
I wish they had made the finale 2 hours and followed up a bit more on Betty and Don. I was glad to see Don break down and be vulnerable, finally. But I feel like I wanted to see him and Betty reconcile before she died. And maybe they did, bur it just seemed so random to have the last scene of Betty be her smoking while her daughter did house work. Made me really hate Betty.

PirateLover
05-18-2015, 08:03 PM
So much to digest. So many good lines. Overall I am very happy with the finale. I thought the foundation for the Stan/Peggy romance had been laid down for a while and was really foreshadowed a few episodes ago. I loved their conversation. The best moments of the episode took place while a person was on the end of a phone- that says a lot about the quality of acting. Don and Sally, Don and Betty, Don and Peggy, Peggy and Stan. Person to Person. Love it.

I think the scene with Sally and Betty was the only really somber scene on purpose. Don has found (temporary) enlightenment, everyone else is seemingly on their way to bigger and better things, but the family that he left behind is suffering. Sally gives up her trip to Madrid, and has to teach her brothers how to cook because her mom doesn't have the strength to get out of bed most days. Will she feel obligated to stay around and keep some stability in her brothers' life? Will the absence of her father affect her ability to truly go off and be adventurous as Betty thought she would be?

And Betty still smoking away is pretty typical. My husband's grandfather had lung cancer and kept smoking. Many do. It's hard to break bad habits, and they figure: "Well, I'm dying anyway, why should I torture myself." In a show where EVERYONE smokes, and cigarettes were the foundation of Sterling Cooper business for many years via Lucky Strike (Remember "It's Toasted?' That was the first episode, responding to the surgeon general's report about cigarettes being hazardous to your health) it's interesting that Betty is the only one we see succumb to lung cancer, and at a relatively young age. (Anna Draper and Rachel Menken also died from cancer, but I don't think they say what kind). I have many more thoughts... but my 5 month old has awaken from her nap ;) Hopefully I can return with more thoughts tomorrow. There really is soooo much to discuss.

Melanie
05-19-2015, 02:56 PM
So much to digest. So many good lines. Overall I am very happy with the finale. I thought the foundation for the Stan/Peggy romance had been laid down for a while and was really foreshadowed a few episodes ago. I loved their conversation. The best moments of the episode took place while a person was on the end of a phone- that says a lot about the quality of acting. Don and Sally, Don and Betty, Don and Peggy, Peggy and Stan. Person to Person. Love it.

YES! The Stan/Peggy call was amazing. Her initial "What? WHAT?" And then her "I don't even think about you." LOL! She was thinking and reasoning out loud. Loved it!

And the Don/Betty call got me the most as well. I was bawling. I've always liked Betty, for all her flaws. And darn if she and Don weren't the best looking couple ever. I'm so shallow. haha! But there was clear love between them, it's just too bad they were both such a mess. I too wish we'd had just a little more closure on that particular storyline. And I wasn't surprised to see Betty smoking either.

Two things not touched on that I had maybe hoped were Peggy and Pete's baby and an update on Sal.

PirateLover
05-19-2015, 03:59 PM
And the Don/Betty call got me the most as well. I was bawling. I've always liked Betty, for all her flaws. And darn if she and Don weren't the best looking couple ever. I'm so shallow. haha! But there was clear love between them, it's just too bad they were both such a mess.
"Birdie...." "I know..." So much was said in those three words.

Two things not touched on that I had maybe hoped were Peggy and Pete's baby and an update on Sal.
I think the convo with Stan a few episodes back was closure on the baby, when she said something like "I don't know. You're not supposed to know." In those days closed adoptions were the norm so it would be strange for the kid to find her or vice versa. I was hoping maybe we'd see Sal in the halls at McCann, given that it was such a large operation. But no. We got more hippies. ;)

The scene with Peggy and Joan in the restaurant was wonderful. I'm sure many fans fantasized that those two would run off and create their own agency. But it was much more in line with Peggy's character to stick it out at McCann and see what else comes her way.

Did anyone else almost fall out of their chair when Gene actually spoke a few words of dialogue!?! :D