PDA

View Full Version : Disney Water

momof3+twins
05-16-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm trying to decide between bringing reusable type water bottles or bringing bottled water. I don't like the water fountain water. Is the free ice water that you get at the parks the same water or is it filtered? Does it taste better?

Strmchsr
05-16-2015, 09:44 AM
All Disney water is actually filtered. Yeah, it'll have a slightly different taste but most of the water is really fine. I don't notice the sort of sulfer taste that used to be in Florida water. Some people still swear they taste it but I sometimes think that's tasting what you expect. Either way, it is filtered.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-16-2015, 09:52 AM
The ice water doesn't taste any different from any other water. It might be just because it is so cold, but I've never disliked the taste of the free ice water.

I wouldn't bother bringing water with you. It is so easy to get a cold cup whenever you need it. :)

lindique
05-16-2015, 04:17 PM
I use the Brita portable water bottles. They have a filter inside which takes all of the unpleasant taste out of the water.

AllyMonkey
05-16-2015, 04:52 PM
We filled reusable water bottles from the sinks in our room each night and put them in the refrigerator until we left the room the next morning. We carried the liquid water flavors (Crystal Lite or Mio) to add to the water as we refilled during the day and didn't notice the strong sulfur flavor that I used to always notice. The water in Orlando tasted (and smelled) MUCH better than the water we've experienced in other parts of Florida. It seems the water from the fountains in Magic Kingdom (probably being the oldest pipes) was most likely to have an odor or taste.

momof3+twins
05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
So, can you just go up to any counter service and ask for ice water? Will they give you more than one? I have 5 kids.

Pirate Granny
05-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Water is free, but I find it unacceptable to drink...the CMs actually smirk when they hand you the cup. :sick:

Hog
05-16-2015, 09:48 PM
We also use a Brita bottle at the parks. I don't think it's a sulfur taste more of a metallic taste. The Brita helps with it but if I drink the water fountain water for a week my mouth and teeth always feel weird and sensitive, where as I usually don't have that problem. We also know which fountains are cold and certain ones taster better than others. For example the water fountains exiting star tours always is cold and tastes good. We sometimes ride just to get this water. Also the fountains at the International gateway in epcot are tasty.

deedee73
05-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Hog - Any good fountains in MK or AK?

manutd1
05-16-2015, 11:14 PM
Never had any problems with the fountains....its cold and free. And yes, most were cold here of late. Especially the ones in frontier land and liberty square. Taste like florida water but hey free is free.:thumbsup:

Maddie
05-18-2015, 12:52 PM
I bring a little bottle of MiO and squirt that in all my waters. That way, I am staying hydrated but don't have to taste the yucky Disney water!

magicofdisney
05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
So, can you just go up to any counter service and ask for ice water? Will they give you more than one? I have 5 kids.

My experience is that any service area that offers fountain drinks will give you free cups of ice water. Many times we receive the large cup filled with ice and water. On occasion you'll find an area that only offers small, child-size cups.

NewDVCowner
05-18-2015, 02:09 PM
I have had no problem at all asking to get more than one cup of the ice water for myself at a time.

Disney_pups2
05-20-2015, 02:46 AM
I lived in Florida for a couple of decades and attended the parks many many times with out of town guests and many of them have gotten sick on park water regardless of filtering or not. I wouldn't chance it. Just my opinion, but too many I know have had the trots and what not because of it and that can ruin a good time. Good luck to you.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-20-2015, 09:00 AM
We used refillable water bottles last trip. I intend on using them again this trip, but will have lemonade packets as my son just won't drink plain water. The water in the fountains was plenty cold and didn't have a taste to me. But we filled the bottles the night before and chilled them in the fridge overnight before heading out.

MNNHFLTX
05-20-2015, 09:37 AM
I have lived in several places around the country, from the midwest to the northeast to Florida and now in Texas and have never noticed that much of a difference between water palatability. Tap water in Florida is filtered to remove the sulfur odor and treated to the same standard as all other areas of the U.S. If you don't get sick on the water in your hometown, you won't get sick on it in Florida. Unless, of course, the person before you at the water fountain or in your hotel room has some kind of virus and contaminated the knobs.

That said, some people I know swear by the use of those Fit Top filtered bottles. That might be something to check out.

PopPhan
05-20-2015, 09:49 AM
My experience is that any service area that offers fountain drinks will give you free cups of ice water. Many times we receive the large cup filled with ice and water. On occasion you'll find an area that only offers small, child-size cups.

Did this on my recent trip. Worked out great and didn't use up all the snack credits from the dining plan on drink.

Water is free, but I find it unacceptable to drink...the CMs actually smirk when they hand you the cup. :sick:

Most are probably smirking because that is one less sale they make during their shift. The water from the CS stands/kiosks/restaurants seems to be well filtered -- it IS the same water used to mix with the soda syrup.

mydisneygirls
05-20-2015, 11:36 AM

This unacceptable water is also used to make coffee, tea, the ice you use in your tonics, etc. We have been going for years and have always asked for a cup of ice water when we needed it. I find there is no taste to it at all and have NEVER EVER had a CM smirk at me. In fact, even though we're on the dining plan, I also ask for an ice water with my counter service meal during the day just to keep hydrated.

We do take ONE bottle with us and keep it in our bag only to refill it from the free ice water because you can take the bottle on rides but you can't take the cup.

John
05-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Had to laugh at this and the unacceptable water. Been going since 1974 and have never had an issue because of drinking the tap water at Disney.

SurferStitch
05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
I grew up on super cold, super fresh well water. No taste whatsoever. Even now at the age of 42, I can't drink ANY municipal water anywhere. It all has an odd taste to me that I've never been able to handle without feeling :sick:.

I sometimes take a bottled water into the parks with me, sometimes I don't. I don't drink much (my DH calls me a camel), and can go quite long without drinking. I can't sip water all day... just makes me ill. I'd rather stop for an unsweetened iced tea when I feel the need to drink something (or a beer in Germany!). We go in October, December and sometimes early May, so it's never sweltering hot when we visit. Plus I hate carrying more than I have to, and don't use a bag large enough to hold a water bottle. Also don't want to wear one on a strap around my neck.

That said, 99% of people here will disagree with me on that, so I'll just say if you don't like any taste (metallic, chlorine, sulfur, etc), take bottled water or use a Brita bottle. OR, bring flavor packets.

Hammer
05-20-2015, 02:02 PM
I have lived in several places around the country, from the midwest to the northeast to Florida and now in Texas and have never noticed that much of a difference between water palatability. Tap water in Florida is filtered to remove the sulfur odor and treated to the same standard as all other areas of the U.S. If you don't get sick on the water in your hometown, you won't get sick on it in Florida. Unless, of course, the person before you at the water fountain or in your hotel room has some kind of virus and contaminated the knobs.

I agree with Beth. I've lived in a bunch of different places, as well as traveled to many more, and I've never noticed any big difference in water quality. As she points out, it is usually because they touched something contaminated. The TV remote is a big culprit for transmission of viruses.

Most are probably smirking because that is one less sale they make during their shift. The water from the CS stands/kiosks/restaurants seems to be well filtered -- it IS the same water used to mix with the soda syrup.

Exactly :thumbsup: !

Disney4us2
05-20-2015, 02:57 PM
I get cups of water from the CS all the time. Never had anyone smirk ( or anything else) when I got the water. I bring a water bottle and refill it with the CS water.

Different areas in Fl have different tasting water. When I was in Winter Haven, we had Wahneta Water. It was horrid well water. Smelly and foul tasting. Now in Davenport, the water is fine.

joonyer
05-20-2015, 09:54 PM
I grew up on super cold, super fresh well water. No taste whatsoever. Even now at the age of 42, I can't drink ANY municipal water anywhere. It all has an odd taste to me that I've never been able to handle without feeling :sick:. . . . . . , so I'll just say if you don't like any taste (metallic, chlorine, sulfur, etc), take bottled water or use a Brita bottle. OR, bring flavor packets.

You know, 99% of bottled water marketed in the U.S. (Dasani, Aquafina, and most every other brand) is municipal tap water. Americans love to complain about a 5 cent increase in a gallon of gasoline, but yet we'll happily pay $10 or more per gallon for 10 cents worth of tap water. We're crazy.

AllyMonkey
05-21-2015, 07:56 AM
I lived in Florida for a couple of decades and attended the parks many many times with out of town guests and many of them have gotten sick on park water regardless of filtering or not. I wouldn't chance it. Just my opinion, but too many I know have had the trots and what not because of it and that can ruin a good time. Good luck to you.

That's why you should never drink the water at Mexico. A refreshing beverage from La Cava del Tequila is much safer.

SurferStitch
05-21-2015, 01:43 PM
You know, 99% of bottled water marketed in the U.S. (Dasani, Aquafina, and most every other brand) is municipal tap water. Americans love to complain about a 5 cent increase in a gallon of gasoline, but yet we'll happily pay $10 or more per gallon for 10 cents worth of tap water. We're crazy.

I'm picky about that, too... I only buy spring water or artesian well (usually Deer Park or Fiji). And I know... even "spring water" is sometimes filtered water passed off as spring... but it IS filtered, and tastes much better than any municipal tap water.

I don't even like if our Brita pitcher filter at home is getting near it's end of life... :sick:

magicofdisney
05-21-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm picky about that, too... I only buy spring water or artesian well (usually Deer Park or Fiji). And I know... even "spring water" is sometimes filtered water passed off as spring... but it IS filtered, and tastes much better than any municipal tap water.

I don't even like if our Brita pitcher filter at home is getting near it's end of life... :sick:
I'm with you.

I've lived in the same town in FL my entire life. Our municipal water has a chlorinated taste I can't adapt to. It always makes me feel nauseas. We buy Zephyrhills bottled spring water by the case and I LOVE it. I travel often up north with my husband. I don't know their source, but one brand of bottled water offered in Newark, NJ (Poland) is awful. Perhaps it's because I'm preferential to Zephyrhills. The best way I can describe it, and this seems odd, is that Zephyrhills is smooth while Poland is dry.

joonyer
05-21-2015, 03:52 PM

True, municipal processed tap water is treated with chemicals, additives, etc., but don't be tricked into thinking that just because water comes from a "spring" that's its somehow purer or better for you. It may be "pure" from the spring or well, but that just means it has all the other chemicals, minerals, etc. that comes out of the ground already dissolved in it, in other words, a lot of "stuff" besides Hydrogen and Oxygen. Sometimes it may taste good, but it's a long way from "pure" water. The only actual pure water you can buy is distilled water, which most people don't care for when they "taste" it, because it truly has no taste. It's just wet.

manutd1
05-22-2015, 07:12 PM
thats true.....but it is filtered and such after they get it from the municipal source. So, it is a "cleaner better tasting" water than right from the tap. I know our city has OLD lines that feed most of the city...it has a rusty taste. Florida water taste awesome compared to a lot of Ohio water from the tap.
We don't pay any where near 10.00 per gallon. You can get Nestle Pure Life for 1.50 per gallon or 2.98 for a 24 pk.at our walt mart.
I love bottled water. I drink it exclusively. Buy, it at sams or walmart. But at WDW...We just drink the free stuff. Fountain!

Altair
05-22-2015, 09:19 PM
The bottles are a petroleum product, that in itself should be enough, but the wasted energy to fill the bottles is just sad. :(

joonyer
05-22-2015, 10:27 PM
We don't pay any where near 10.00 per gallon. You can get Nestle Pure Life for 1.50 per gallon or 2.98 for a 24 pk.at our walt mart.

I was referring to what people pay for a bottle of water at theme parks and sporting events, on average about $2.00 for a 16.9 oz. bottle, which most people don't blink an eye at. That works out to about $15.00 per gallon.

manutd1
05-22-2015, 10:55 PM
I was referring to what people pay for a bottle of water at theme parks and sporting events, on average about $2.00 for a 16.9 oz. bottle, which most people don't blink an eye at. That works out to about $15.00 per gallon.
Oh, i agree. Thats why we do the fountains. :thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
05-25-2015, 03:04 PM
We like the free ice water too, from the parks. I've lived in foreign countries while in the military and drank their water (after being filtered and treated) so I can easily and with certainty drink water from my favorite place on earth...:cool:

momof3+twins
05-26-2015, 09:08 AM
We are going to try the ice water. I will let everyone know how that goes. Can I just ask for ice water at the counter service and NOT buy anything? I would guess that I could???? Probably a dumb question.

JRocker
05-26-2015, 11:26 AM
1. Count me in as one who doesn't care for the flavor of the tap water at the parks. And yes, I can taste it in the other beverages as well.
2. We carry around a Brita bottle and fill it with ice water. The water is free at any location that serves fountain drinks. As has been mentioned, sometimes you get a kiddie cup, but it is free. I think Disney understands that a guest who has been incapacitated by dehydration will not spend money.
3. I hate to play mythbuster here, but don't believe all bottled water is filtered. I have been to several fillers over my career and I know first hand that not all fillers filter the water. Some fillers "produce" many different brands of water from the same source, which happens to be from the same source local residence get their water. One national brand, which has made claims of "infusion" and "filtered", may be packaged in that manner at some locations, but not all.
4. Save the oil for your '65 Caddy and buy a bottle with a filter in it, or just do what most of us country kids did while growing up and drink it from the hose.

NewDVCowner
05-26-2015, 12:18 PM
We are going to try the ice water. I will let everyone know how that goes. Can I just ask for ice water at the counter service and NOT buy anything? I would guess that I could???? Probably a dumb question.

Yes. I have done exactly that at more than one place.

CanadianWDWFan
05-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Another vote for the Brita bottles with the built in filter. Gets rid of that peculiar taste. :D

honeybear
06-11-2015, 02:46 PM
We got the free water on our trip last August. We did not have any problems with it. It was quite refreshing to us. Our only issue was remembering who's cup was who's because they all wanted to leave the cups on the strollers.

In some counter service places, they had the cups already pre made and they just handed it to you.

texas211
06-13-2015, 07:09 PM
My wife and I bring Geigerrigs and Camelbaks, and use the filters. It helps. Also, we pack those little water flavoring things (i like lemonade and tea). Also helps, as it isn't just the water, but rather the pipes of where you are at. Some resorts are better than others.

Probably also matters on where you are from which forms your frame of reference on how bad disney water is. I've traveled across the country quite a bit, and Fl isn't the worst water.