PDA

View Full Version : Will Disney update Tomorrowland now that the movie is coming out?

minnie-mouse
05-13-2015, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know if they have plans to update Tomorrowland? It seems like the next ideal area to update in MK.

manutd1
05-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Funny you ask....I have head rumours that Tomorrowland is about to get another...overhaul. And, the speedway may be gone. There is so many pod casts i listen to...Im not sure which one it was. Who knows. But, I'm sure it will get a redo in the future.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Tomorrowland is next to be updated at MK. Who knows what century Disney will do it. I am guessing 2022.

DonaldDuck1117
05-13-2015, 09:28 PM
I would love for the speedway to be removed. It sits on a huge plot of land that could be used for both Fantastland and Tomorrowland expansion. But mostly the speedway is so unimaginative. When it came out at Disneyland it was unique. No where could kids drive a car like that. But now every carnival that comes to town has one. That amount of space could bring two fantastic attractions.

taleasoldastime
05-13-2015, 09:47 PM
i have been wondering the same thing! I hope that this movie is hinting at this possibility!

taleasoldastime
05-13-2015, 09:54 PM
and i am hoping the first things to go are the speedway and stitch

SandmanGStefani24
05-13-2015, 11:19 PM
:ditto:

Stitch needs to go! And if they keep the speedway, def give it a nice overhaul top to bottom. New cars, new track, new things to see as you drive....

razor5002000
05-14-2015, 03:26 AM
I think its to early to tell and to assume anything. The movie doesn't officially start until 5-22-15 therefore there nothing to base any of these rumors on. If the movie does well then yeah changes may happen. But there no way to know.

The movie to me has nothing to do with the area in the park from what I see. I guess only time will tell.

Maddie
05-14-2015, 09:55 AM
I would love to see an update! Tomorrowland is one of my favorite sections of the park but like everyone else said Stick needs to go. On top of that the speedway doesnt really fit with the whole theme and is on a huge plot of land. Monsters Inc is funny but a one time shot for me as well....

Park Hopper
05-14-2015, 09:55 AM
I would love for the speedway to be removed. It sits on a huge plot of land that could be used for both Fantastland and Tomorrowland expansion. But mostly the speedway is so unimaginative. When it came out at Disneyland it was unique. No where could kids drive a car like that. But now every carnival that comes to town has one. That amount of space could bring two fantastic attractions.

Not to mention that with the advanced video driving/racing video games today and the electric powered vehicles for kids, the thrill is not the same. Although, I would rather them spend time/energy on HS and Epcot right now.

John
05-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Funny you ask....I have head rumours that Tomorrowland is about to get another...overhaul. And, the speedway may be gone. There is so many pod casts i listen to...Im not sure which one it was. Who knows. But, I'm sure it will get a redo in the future.

I hope you listen to ours!

I think as with anything, theme park tie ins are driven by box office success. If the movie is a huge hit and spawns sequels, you can bet the tie ins will get deeper. If its not a blockbuster, then nothing will happen. My guess is contingencies are being drawn up and ideas are at the blue sky stage... We'll see how the movie does. I saw the 10 minute preview. Made me want to see the movie but also felt is was a little plasticy in the CGI department. Hoping it does well.

Tekneek
05-14-2015, 12:40 PM
I hope so. Tomorrowland and Future World have long suffered. Anything that doesn't involve filling them with Pixar-based attractions is worthy of consideration.

waymickey
05-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Could they make the speed way into a tron theme? Kids would love to drive futuristic motorcycles. That would fit the theme. I like the speedway but agree that it is tired.

John
05-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Could they make the speed way into a tron theme? Kids would love to drive futuristic motorcycles. That would fit the theme. I like the speedway but agree that it is tired.

Unfortunately Tron pretty much failed at the box office so its not like to happen.

John
05-14-2015, 02:14 PM
I hope so. Tomorrowland and Future World have long suffered. Anything that doesn't involve filling them with Pixar-based attractions is worthy of consideration.

*this*

thads
05-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Here is an idea. Get rid of Stitch and the transit authority. Rebuild the transit authority with hot rods from the future. Have them shoot around the old track with quick excelleration to 25mph and then corner until everyone feels like their head is going to fall off. Then every year or so, have one burst into flames...just to keep it interesting. ;)

joonyer
05-14-2015, 03:20 PM

The speedway is very tired, and even my boys when they were about 9 & 7 years old though it was lame compared to the go-karts they could drive at our local amusement centers. I think the concept of the speedway would be very popular with a "Cars" theme, with part of it indoors so you could cruise Radiator Springs at night; but it doesn't fit in Tomorrowland. The speedway's time is past and it really has no connection to any Disney classic other being one of the first attractions in Disneyland. That large space could be used for 2 or 3 new more relevant and fun attractions.

manutd1
05-14-2015, 04:08 PM
I hope you listen to ours!

I think as with anything, theme park tie ins are driven by box office success. If the movie is a huge hit and spawns sequels, you can bet the tie ins will get deeper. If its not a blockbuster, then nothing will happen. My guess is contingencies are being drawn up and ideas are at the blue sky stage... We'll see how the movie does. I saw the 10 minute preview. Made me want to see the movie but also felt is was a little plasticy in the CGI department. Hoping it does well.
Of course....:thumbsup: I also listen to a few others....Lou mongellos and WDW today...to name a couple...But, Of course...Intercots podacast as well!!:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't call Tron Legacy a failure... Budget: $170 million, box office take worldwide: over $400 million... True, domestically it barely made it's budget, but did $228 million foreign... And we are getting a third Tron... Failures, like John Carter, don't get sequels... Not with Disney and their tent pole movie strategy...

Plus, a tron light cycle coaster was rumored for Shanghai... But not sure where that attraction currently stands... Possibly cut...

AllyMonkey
05-15-2015, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately Tron pretty much failed at the box office so its not like to happen.

Yet they are still making another Tron movie.

John
05-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Yet they are still making another Tron movie.

Maybe JJ Abrams will direct.

Guys, Tron didn't set the earth on fire. No other way to put it and this is coming from one of the original movies biggest fans. It did fine... But I don't see it coming to the parks unless someone does a heck of a job kickstarting a new franchise.

DisneyGiant
05-15-2015, 03:07 PM
I would prefer that they "fix" Hollywood Studios & Epcot first before taking apart Tomorrowland!!!

I say - keep the speedway, but make the cars solar powered or something environmentally friendly.

And no one better touch MY people mover!!!! :mickey:

WiltonJohn
05-15-2015, 04:17 PM
And no one better touch MY people mover!!!! :mickey:

Agreed!

It was, and always shall be, "The Wedway People Mover". :number1:

A lovely place to "just chill" for a few minutes.

best,

.................john

disney obsessed
05-16-2015, 06:14 PM
I agree! The removal of the TTA might cause me to give up my disney obsession. I would really rather not think about that....

AndrewJackson
05-17-2015, 01:31 PM
The uber success of the Marvel Cinemtaic Universe movies has placed some serious unreasonable expectations for any Disney live action movies.

If live action doesn't gross $1 billion, it's not seen as a success in today's environment.

Lizzy
05-17-2015, 09:36 PM
While I agree that the speedway doesn't fit, my kids love it and want to go on it more than once, every time. They are now 4 and 7, but have no gotten tired of it yet.

And I am in the "touch my peoplemover and you die" crowd.

I have no problems with Tomorrowland staying the way it is for the time being if it means they will fix future world in Epcot. It makes me sad to see all the closed up and wasted space over there.

deedee73
05-17-2015, 09:50 PM
I agree - touch peoplemover & a revolt will ensue. I think other areas specifically EPCOT - Future World is in dire need of an update yesterday so basically now not 2020.

Stu29573
05-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Initial buzz seems positive about the movie. Rotten Tomatoes rates it a "fresh" so far (76%) So maybe...just maybe it will be a hit...

Anthony007
05-18-2015, 03:39 PM
I worry that a redo of Tomorrowland would spell the end of CoP. It is a classic, but if the decision makers look at it on paper, it is not the most popular.

I hope I am wrong.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-18-2015, 07:58 PM
I worry that a redo of Tomorrowland would spell the end of CoP. It is a classic, but if the decision makers look at it on paper, it is not the most popular.

I hope I am wrong.

I like CoP as well, but come on, Walt is dead. These parks need new attractions!

Stu29573
05-18-2015, 09:23 PM
I seriously doubt they would do away with COP. It is a direct link to Walt Disney, and those are being played up big time lately.

joonyer
05-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Carousel of Progress has been moved before. Even if it doesn't stay in Tomorrowland, it can easily be preserved in another location.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-19-2015, 06:22 AM
Reading through these posts I had a thought, why not move COP to one of the now empty buildings in future world. Refurbish it and do a whole tribute to Walt Disney before the show. This should satisfy the old timers (like me) at the same time opening up room in Tomorrowland for expansion. Any takers? :mickey:

PopPhan
05-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Reading through these posts I had a thought, why not move COP to one of the now empty buildings in future world. Refurbish it and do a whole tribute to Walt Disney before the show. This should satisfy the old timers (like me) at the same time opening up room in Tomorrowland for expansion. Any takers? :mickey:

If you were to take it to another park, I would think that you could tie it in to "One Man's Dream" in DHS and wrap it up as a tribute to Walt Disney's contributions to the 1964 World's Fair. I don't think it would really fit too well in EPCOT Future World.

JMHO

John
05-19-2015, 05:41 PM

The ride Horizons followed the theme and family line of COP into the future. Its a shame they decided it was with sparing for an attraction that didn't turn out to be as big as they expected.

I know... Horizons is never coming back. Someday I'll get over it.

MNNHFLTX
05-20-2015, 10:33 AM
My thoughts:

No way should they remove the TTA. Update it, sure, but that is one classic not to be messed with otherwise.

While it personally wouldn't bother me that much if they got rid of the Speedway, I highly doubt that they would do away with it entirely, since that is one attraction that is at all of the Disney parks around the world, in one form or another.

IMO, Carousel of Progress could be pretty awesome again if it had a major overhaul.

I think there is a wealth of opportunity for refurbishment in the other buildings in Tomorrowland, the ones that Buzz, Stitch, Laugh Floor occupy, as well as the space where they have the dance party. Lots could be done in terms of new rides and attractions whether they incorporate parts of the new movie or not.

ryca1dreams
05-30-2015, 02:55 PM
I know... Horizons is never coming back. Someday I'll get over it.

Sure you will...

azcavalier
05-31-2015, 11:20 AM
I think there is a wealth of opportunity for refurbishment in the other buildings in Tomorrowland, the ones that Buzz, Stitch, Laugh Floor occupy, as well as the space where they have the dance party. Lots could be done in terms of new rides and attractions whether they incorporate parts of the new movie or not.

Gotta say, I really enjoy the Laugh Floor. I like the idea and the implementation. I've done that attraction a ton of times, and it always makes me laugh.

While Stitch (the character) is one of my favorites, and I have long been a defender of Stitch's Great Escape, I would be fine with them taking that space and the Buzz Lightyear attraction (which is tired and always has issues) and repurposing them.

The last time we were at WDW, my son (17 yrs old) rode on the Speedway and broke it. His car jumped the rail, and he was driving in-between two tracks for 75% of the ride. Towards the end he managed to get it back onto the rail....on the other track! I didn't know any of that had happened during the ride, as I was ahead of him about two cars. But I knew he had started directly behind me. I was pretty surprised to see him come in at the finish on the adjacent track.

DizneyFreak2002
05-31-2015, 06:43 PM
Well Tomorrowland bombed (as I kind of suspected it would)... And Tron 3 was cancelled too... BOOOOO to Tron 3 being canned...

azcavalier
06-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Well Tomorrowland bombed (as I kind of suspected it would)... And Tron 3 was cancelled too... BOOOOO to Tron 3 being canned...

I haven't seen Tomorrowland (but I want to). I am sad that Tron 3 was cancelled. I liked Legacy. But, then again, I also liked John Carter.

I will admit that I have not yet seen The Lone Ranger.

BrerGnat
06-01-2015, 08:12 PM

It is a bit premature to say Tomorrowland "bombed". It came close to its opening weekend projection and it has only been 2 weeks. Many movies make their money back eventually.

The news stories are always full of hyperbole. Studios these days know that the majority of their money will not come from the domestic box office anyway. Such is the direction entertainment is going.

Main Street Jim
06-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Here is an idea. Rebuild the transit authority with hot rods from the future. Have them shoot around the old track with quick acceleration to 25mph and then corner until everyone feels like their head is going to fall off. Then every year or so, have one burst into flames...just to keep it interesting. ;)Remember? They tried this exact same thing at Disneyland in about 1998 - and lost the Peoplemover forever. Rocket Rods was such a "bomb" that it was down more than it was operational in a little over the two years it "operated". The ride vehicles tore up the ride track so bad that it's unusable for any other attraction.

As for Tomorrowland Speedway, don't expect it to be going anywhere any time soon. With its popularity and high hourly guest count (over 2,000 per hour), I don't think management will want to get rid of *that* "People-mover".

DANAM
06-05-2015, 01:03 AM
I am laughing at this post. My kids 2 favorite rides this trip were the people mover and speedway. Speedway definitely could use a update but don't mess with my people mover. Its a life saver.

baldburke
06-08-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm still waiting for them to update the Muppet show after two recent movies. Maybe the new TV show will spur some action?

Tearin_it_up
06-09-2015, 09:20 PM

Unless it's Wall-E

Terra
06-09-2015, 10:52 PM
I still need to see this movie.

It would be nice to see some updating in Tomorrowland though.
My boys would totally miss the speedway though. It's one thing they have to hit every single time.