PDA

View Full Version : What is your Disney "Breaking Point"?

azcavalier
05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Honestly, i'm not even sure what i'm asking...

I was thinking about a thread I was reading the other day where a poster was talking about how they hadn't been in a few years, and even though they love WDW, they weren't sure when they were coming back. And it wasn't really a money issue. It was an apathy issue.

I've been going to WDW for 14 years. I just got back from a short trip last weekend. We're going back for 8 days in September, and already are planning to return in the fall of 2016 with some friends, and we're possibly heading down in February to see my daughter perform in her marching band when they go down for a workshop. I'm still excited when we go, even though I've done everything more than once. I've probably ridden on Haunted Mansion 50 times, at least, and I'm still excited to do it.

But at what point do you stop? Many posters on here are upset with Park management for concentrating on what they think are the wrong issues, creating interactive queues when they should be creating new attractions (in their opinions). Many have stated that Universal is/has surpassed Disney in innovation for all that they have done with Harry Potter, Transformers, Jurassic Park, and now the Nintendo deal, while at the same time dismissing Disney's partnership with James Cameron and Avatarland. We know that Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm, and so has HUGE (I cannot possibly make those capital letters big enough) potential to knock it out of the park, if only they'll spend the $$$ to do so. There has been a lot of people here in Intercot that have expressed displeasure at the directions the parks have taken....half finished parks, renovations changed due to budget cuts, a loss in vacation dollar value through extra admission prices for special events and the raising of regular prices, whole buildings and areas of parks empty or shut down with no definite plans for future use, etc. So, not a few people have decided that while they love Disney and all of the memories, they've had enough.

I haven't had enough...yet. Honestly, I can see the day when I tell my wife, "You know what? Let's skip Disney this year and go see (insert National Park here)." Or maybe we save up and go to Europe and be tourists. Or Hawaii. I've never been to Hawaii. Or take a train across Canada (as Martin Short would have us do). It's a big world out there, and no matter how cool Epcot is, maybe i'd just rather go visit the beaches of Mexico on vacation.

But not quite yet.

BrerGnat
05-12-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm not there yet either. I probably won't ever get there, to be honest. I just don't let myself get all worked up about the little things. I go to the parks, and I base my opinion on MY EXPERIENCE only, and often don't encounter even half the negative things I read about. It is still a very enjoyable experience for me and my family.

We do other stuff too. We visit other amusement/theme parks, other destinations, we cruise, etc. Disney is just a very special kind of fun for us and while we enjoy our other trips, they are nothing like going to Disneyland or WDW. As long as Disney continues to deliver the experience we have been enjoying for years, we will continue to go.

In fact, we just spent the weekend in Williamsburg and visited Busch Gardens. It was a nice time, and BG was an enjoyable well kept park with fun rides and friendly employees. We saw the historical sites as well. But you know what? I have no desire to ever go back. It was fun, but a "once and done" for us. I never stop wanting to go back to a Disney park.

We are moving next month and will be Disneyland "locals" again, and I couldn't be more excited! I will gladly keep handing over a couple thousand to Disneyland every year for my family to have annual passes because it is still totally worth it.

Maddie
05-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Well, I am not sure I will ever hit a point where I do not want to return. I grew up going to Disney World, every year since I was a baby. Its about more than the newest attraction to me. They can never open another attraction and I will continue to go back. It is about the atmosphere and the memories I have gained. I can just spend time in the hotels and eating at the restaurants and have a good time. I love the excitement of lining up in the morning to get into the park. I don't need to sprint to the newest attraction, I just want to stroll down main street and feel happy! :mickey::number1:

RBrooksC
05-12-2015, 12:25 PM
What I noticed with my wife and me, is that during the past four years, we have been to WDW in some way. We have been there with our kids and just as a couple.

The last couple of times, even though lines were short, we rarely rode anything more than once.

One afternoon, we left the parks and went to DTD and played putt-putt.

So, while it is depressing to think we won't be back for a while, it is nice so that the next time we go, the attractions will be fresh again.

It felt weird to just leave the park when lines were short and things were walk-on, but that is what we did.

Priority Four
05-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Our family does not have a breaking point. We have two year breaks between years when we go four times. As stated above, it keeps it fresh for us. Disney trips make up about half of our vacations

I have never seen a Harry Potter movie (I do not live under a rock) and our kids did not grow up with video games (we are outdoor types) so Universal is not appealing to our family on that level.

Forums seem to sort of generate discontent sometimes by putting the subject under a microscope. I have been disappointed in the magic bubble before but I have never felt like a CM wasn't doing everything they could to help me fix it nor have I felt that a park was half finished or wished there was more to do.

DANAM
05-12-2015, 02:05 PM
I don't think I would ever get to the point of no return. I mean that would take a lot. But I can tell you we have black listed several restaurants because of poor service. There are some hotels I probably wouldn't stay at for one reason or another. But collectively as a whole none of these things are so bad that I would never return. I guess at some point my kids may get tired of going but my DH and I have a bucket list of what we would do in the world without kids. So, I don't ever imagine myself not going. I've been coming my whole life its in my blood.

Sylvia
05-12-2015, 03:02 PM
DITTO!!!!!

I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. No complaining or negativity - just many posters who appreciate the overall experience. Thank you azcavalier for starting this thread.

I've been a Disney fanatic since childhood and will be one forever. Everything that has already been written in this thread could have been written by me. I'll never reach the point of "never again". For me, WDW and DLR always have been and always will be my favorite vacation places. In just about 3-1/2 months I'll be heading back to WDW; and yes, I'm working on plans for the next trip in Spring 2016. Watch out for me. When I'm not visiting one of my favorite attractions, enjoying one of my favorite performers, or riding one of my favorite rides, I'll be relaxing on a bench, enjoying a Mickey bar, listening to the sounds around me, and people-watching somewhere in WDW and loving life.

joonyer
05-12-2015, 03:07 PM
You can see from my signature how many times we travel to WDW, not as often as many on these boards. We love Disney, but are limited by our budget and we have others things we want to do. We're probably done for a while until we have grandchildren who are old enough to enjoy it.

azcavalier
05-12-2015, 03:50 PM
We're probably done for a while until we have grandchildren who are old enough to enjoy it.

I've thought about that, too. My oldest had his last day of high school today. He'll be leaving on a mission this summer, will return in two years and start college...at which time he'll start dating pretty seriously. I could see him married inside of four or five years. Then grandkids won't be too far behind.....and my oldest daughter is only three years behind him. In ten years, I imagine i'll be a grandpa. And man, I can't wait to start taking Grandkids to WDW! That'll make it feel like a whole new world, I imagine. My wife has started thinking about adding to the DVC points just for that reason.

manutd1
05-12-2015, 03:56 PM
No breaking point here!! We go every two years.....sometimes more often. It gets BETTER each time. The parks are immaculate and we always have a wonderful time. The kids love WDW and DLR. Yes, it does get more expensive...But thats fine. I work more overtime if i need to but we always do a 7 day trip. It just never gets old. :mickey: Our next trip to the World is 2017. Hopefully Disneyland Summer of 16!! We just returned May 9th after a fantastic 7 day trip to WDW.
:thumbsup:
As another poster stated....Disney is in my blood...(along with Vegas) And, until I'm dead......I'm going back and back....
Nothing negative about a Disney vacation.

Katzateer
05-12-2015, 04:20 PM
I have been at least once a year for the last 24 years and sometimes 2 or 3 times in a 12 month period. While I would love to go back to Disneyland ( haven't been since 1970) I don't think I could go to that park as often as WDW (if I lived closer). WDW has so much to do and with a park hopper, I do not get bored. I like not having to drive, having so many choices of activities and dining options. Don't have any other vacation plans - I like my 2 hour plane ride and I feel like I am going "home" each visit. Other trips seem to be more stressful planning. Can't wait for December and our 8 nights at SOG!

I know families that go on cruises every year. That sounds boring to me. Have been on one Disney cruise and I don't think I would go on another ( except maybe to Alaska).

Ian
05-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Eh ... things go in cycles. We still go every year and have a blast as a family every time. I'm not thrilled with the way things are now, but I have faith they'll change and improve in the future.

In the meantime, DW and I enjoy the heck out of the time we spend in WDW with our four kids and wouldn't trade that time for the world. :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
05-12-2015, 04:33 PM
In the meantime, DW and I enjoy the heck out of the time we spend in WDW with our four kids and wouldn't trade that time for the world. :mickey:
:ditto:
We like to go down at least once a year and have been doing so since our youngest was 6 months old, he is now 11. We like to see more than do at WDW. We enjoy walking around checking out all the parks/resorts have to offer. Our kids as they get older like to explore places we haven't spent much time at over the years. IMHO, there is always something new to do.

TheVBs
05-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Great thread! :mickey:

No breaking point here yet. We go every other year and do different trips in between. We really enjoy all of our trips, but going to WDW is always exciting. Every trip has been amazing and we've got so many special memories from each and every one of them.

I don't know if we would start to feel differently if we went every year. I think that experiencing different locations helps keep the magic alive for us.

This might be the first time we go two years in a row. We went last spring and were originally planning to do a big out west road trip this year. But, with the job change, we won't have as much vacation time this year, so can't do the out west trip the way we want. So, DH brought up WDW and we're thinking about going in Aug. I know I'm just as excited!! :mickey:

MrPeetrie
05-12-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure if we've hit a breaking point (or even if one for us exists,) but we have cut back on our visits. If you check my signature, you see our visits have larger spans than before.

I remember prior to our 2012 trip, I read so many negative posts I almost expected not to recognize Walt Disney World. In reality, it was one of our most enjoyable vacations. Customer Service was extraordinary. Our dining was excellent throughout. And wait times were very manageable.

Heading back in September, once again negative posts have me concerned we will have a "Less-Than-Magical Vacation." In all likelihood, Customer Service will be its usual outstanding self; FastPass+ will probably be a non-issue (or maybe even an enhancer); and our trip will be great and family will be asking, "When are we coming back?"

Price has lengthened the time between trips for us. We used to purchase an Annual Pass and take at least two trips on one pass. (Three sometimes.) Now, four APs will cost nearly $2,800. Add airfare, and you can see a main reason for fewer trips. This was also the first time we questioned attending the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - one of our favorite events. At nearly $300 for the four of us, it is at the tipping point. Any more, and we will say, "No!" to that.

I'm sure there is a breaking point for us somewhere. I know we haven't hit it yet. My DD12 is a HUGE Harry Potter fan and I feel quite confident I can plan a Universal trip for significantly less than one at WDW. But DW will say, "We can't be that close to Disney and not go."

No breaking point yet.

IloveJack
05-12-2015, 10:04 PM
They can never open another attraction and I will continue to go back. It is about the atmosphere and the memories I have gained. I just want to stroll down main street and feel happy! :mickey::number1:

Yes, this. Exactly.

MNNHFLTX
05-12-2015, 11:39 PM
No wall for me. That said, I do find some of the recent changes at WDW a bit off-putting. Time will tell whether they grow on me or not.

RunDMV
05-13-2015, 06:39 AM
My first trip was in 1989. I was deployed in Korea and my wife was stateside. upon my return, she planned a trip to WDW and we stayed at the Poly. I was hooked. we returned every year from 1989 to 2012, most years twice.

We watched the value for our dollar drop, but we still went. Our last trip was a computer disaster. the day we arrived was a day Disney changed over to a new computer system. we had pre-paid everything. upon our arrival, they could not find our reservations.

what was their solution? we had to pay OOP for 2 and a 1/2 days until they could find our reservations! we had to waste a lot of time when we first arrived and then again when they found our reservations. luckily for us, I have been truly blessed financially and I could afford to pay OOP. others may not have been so lucky.

shortly after this fiasco, the fp+ started. add that to the diminishing value and our computer fiasco, we have not returned to WDW and we don't plan to.

dnickels
05-13-2015, 09:06 AM
I suppose it would have to be something financial-related for me. If it got to the point where I could only afford to go to Disney to the exclusion of some of the other places I'm fortunate enough to visit I might cut back or look elsewhere. Similarly, if I was running up debt to afford a trip or cutting back on saving for retirement and things like that then I'd have to re-evaluate. I enjoy Disney a ton but I'd rather be financially independent and able to do whatever I want by the time I hit 50 than have to work into my 70s because I gave all my money to the Mouse. Since I live nearby most of the year I kind of get the best of both worlds, frequent visits at low cost, a $480 AP renewal is my cost to visit, not $4,000-$7,000 for a family trip including airfare + hotel + tickets + meals. There are things I wish Disney would change but overall I have fun when I go.

Granted, we're pretty much a Disney obsessed group seeing as how we've specifically joined a website dedicated to being a Disney fan. I've seen some people on here that REALLY have no breaking point, people that are...
-behind on rent, have no money to pay the next month's rent but still have a Disney vacation planned and paid for...
-selling off personal items they say they didn't want to sell because their daughter would only be a 'sophomore in high school once' and they just HAD to go back...
-people swearing off Disney due to a price increase and less than 48 hours later posting about the great deal they just got on another upcoming trip.
Those are way beyond my breaking point, but to each their own.

manutd1
05-13-2015, 08:20 PM
I suppose it would have to be something financial-related for me. If it got to the point where I could only afford to go to Disney to the exclusion of some of the other places I'm fortunate enough to visit I might cut back or look elsewhere. Similarly, if I was running up debt to afford a trip or cutting back on saving for retirement and things like that then I'd have to re-evaluate. I enjoy Disney a ton but I'd rather be financially independent and able to do whatever I want by the time I hit 50 than have to work into my 70s because I gave all my money to the Mouse. Since I live nearby most of the year I kind of get the best of both worlds, frequent visits at low cost, a $480 AP renewal is my cost to visit, not $4,000-$7,000 for a family trip including airfare + hotel + tickets + meals. There are things I wish Disney would change but overall I have fun when I go.

Granted, we're pretty much a Disney obsessed group seeing as how we've specifically joined a website dedicated to being a Disney fan. I've seen some people on here that REALLY have no breaking point, people that are...
-behind on rent, have no money to pay the next month's rent but still have a Disney vacation planned and paid for...
-selling off personal items they say they didn't want to sell because their daughter would only be a 'sophomore in high school once' and they just HAD to go back...
-people swearing off Disney due to a price increase and less than 48 hours later posting about the great deal they just got on another upcoming trip.
Those are way beyond my breaking point, but to each their own.
To the examples you gave.....IMHO, You only live once....and can't take anything with you to the grave....have fun in life and if a person wants to go......then GO. You will only regret not going. I understand your points. But, I will in no way sacrifice enjoying life..to possibly be financially independent. My father was like that...literally a few days before he died...he told me that was his major regret. He would have RATHER worked later in life and did more all of his life...instaed of saving and doing less during his life. He told me to enjoy life...money is meant to be spent. Does no one any good after they are dead. Obviously, if someone can't afford to go...they can't afford to go. thats just the way it is. But, I will always remember him telling me how much he regretted focusing so much on saving instead of enjoying the one life we have..:)

i'm grumpy
05-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Outrageous air fares. :mad:

Mrs Bus Driver
05-14-2015, 01:25 PM
To the examples you gave.....IMHO, You only live once....and can't take anything with you to the grave....have fun in life and if a person wants to go......then GO. You will only regret not going. I understand your points. But, I will in no way sacrifice enjoying life..to possibly be financially independent. My father was like that...literally a few days before he died...he told me that was his major regret. He would have RATHER worked later in life and did more all of his life...instaed of saving and doing less during his life. He told me to enjoy life...money is meant to be spent. Does no one any good after they are dead. Obviously, if someone can't afford to go...they can't afford to go. thats just the way it is. But, I will always remember him telling me how much he regretted focusing so much on saving instead of enjoying the one life we have..:)
I have to agree with this. The bills will always get paid first but you must also make room for fun in your life. My father was 66 when he died, he worked hard and saved all his life for his retirement. Instead at 64 he was diagnosed with Lou Ghrig's disease. My mother at 60 was found to have advanced lung cancer. They Passed away within a week and a half of each other. Because mom didn't have medicare coverage most of their savings went to doctors. Life is to short and you don't know what might happen, so enjoy yourself now. Enjoy the little bits of happiness that happen every day and don't sweat the small stuff. A wise person once told me "everything is small stuff". :mickey:

Aurora
05-14-2015, 01:58 PM
When my oldest two were little we went often -- sometimes multiple times in one year. Since 2008, we've only been every three years.

Some of that is because of cost, but it's more because we wanted the kids to see other parts of the country as well.

So we've taken them to New York, Sequoia, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. Our last trip was a whirlwind tour of the Southwest that included the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and of course, Disneyland.

For these reasons, I don't think Disney World will ever get old for us. I too have been going since the 1970s, and it's not only the attractions that I love, but the beautiful parks themselves. And there's nothing like good Florida weather to show them off. :D

One more thing. There are two BIG reasons I love WDW that really don't get talked about much: the plants/landscaping and the atmospheric music. Those are background features that I think are sorely underappreciated.

kakn7294
05-14-2015, 03:37 PM
My family hasn't reached that point yet either. Sometimes we skip attractions because they're not a favorite or there's no time and sometimes we don't ride things more than once per trip but we always feel sad when we leave and can't wait to begin planning the next big adventure.

I don't feel that Disney needs to compete with Universal. They are two completely different things - Disney is more family-oriented and classic where Universal is more thrilling and contemporary. I prefer Disney. I'd never go to Universal ever if it wasn't for Marvel.

JanetMegan
05-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Great question and discussion...I'm also not at that point but I do have to say the kind of massive planning that needs to be done these days is a little off-putting. I mean don't get me wrong, I am a natural "planner" kind of person but the thought that I have to put into securing ADRs, Fastpasses etc is a bit much sometimes. It takes some of the fun out of it. It will be interesting, we have two trips planned in the next approx. 18 months. One just DBF and me (the 52 yr old who has never seen a Disney movie) this Fall and then an extended family trip including little ones next Fall. I would say that probably after that we will take a little break and do something else for awhile.

BKBrinkman
05-14-2015, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Sylvia;2456475]DITTO!!!!!

I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. No complaining or negativity - just many posters who appreciate the overall experience. Thank you azcavalier for starting this thread. QUOTE]

This has been a relative breath of fresh air. We haven't been able to go for 7 years and are finally leaving in 13 days for a much needed trip and my youngest son's first trip. Can't wait and am vowing not to have to wait this long again! Sure there are things that could be better but that's always the case. For me, it's the memories of my childhood at WDW and past trips and now being able to pass that on to my two boys that makes Disney so wonderful. No attraction problems or negativity can take away from that!

manutd1
05-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Outrageous air fares. :mad:
Try flying in the 60-70's......now that was high fares. Cheap now compared to inflation...by a lot.:thumbsup:

dpamac
05-14-2015, 04:29 PM
I think it's important to remember that what causes a negative experience is completely subjective. There are hundreds of reasons why one person could be souring on the WDW experience while another is finding their reasons to go increasing.

I think most of us would all agree that the main reason we go is that "feeling." Call it magic, call it an escape from reality, call it fantasy...the Disney experience calls a certain group of people back again and again because it makes us, well, happy. For some of us it makes us feel as though we're kids again. Others find it relaxing. Some find it thrilling. Some love watching their kids experience the magic. Others find luxury. There's no one thing that makes the place special. It's not a tangible thing you can point out. It seems to be a feeling.

When that feeling starts to fade, it's not a pleasant feeling because you really do feel as though you're losing something special. It doesn't just happen over night. It takes time. A few trips don't quite do it. A few changes may directly impact what that "thing" is for you. You stop planning your next trip before your current trip is over. You stop listening to ride music at work. You find yourself in the middle of a trip and just not feeling amazed and delighted. It's not as magical.

It may be you. It may be the park and changes. Who knows? But when your special place no longer feels special your first instinct is to try and get it back. It might come out on message boards as being negative, constant complaining, never being happy because that's all you can focus on. You want it back, so you shout to the mountain tops, pleading for it to return. People who are complaining about changes aren't complaining because they are bitter. They're truly upset because they feel they've lost something special. Maybe it was the closure of a quick service restaurant that finally tipped them to the point where they want to rally others to help them get it back. Some people are better at complaining politely than others (it's those others that tend to start flame wars).

I'm one of those people who has been feeling the magic waning. My kids are sill excited, and planning constantly. For me? My last few trips have not been filled with Disney magic. I don't know why. Luckily I had wonderful people who made the experiences magical. (Friendship is magic! Sorry. I don't know why I felt the need to say that.)There are things I certainly don't like that have changed over the years, but there have also been many things that have changed that I genuinely love. Could be the parks. Could be the business decisions. Could be me. Could be all three. Something has changed for me.

And that makes me sad. I don't mean to sound negative about the things I complain about. I certainly don't complain about them online (though I might crack some jokes). But those complaints are really made with a deep love for something. It certainly doesn't help me feel better when I do talk to my friends and, rather than listen and discuss it, they chide me for being negative. Nor, I'm sure, would like like me calling them Pollyanas because they have a more positive outlook. We each have our own experiences and should be able to share them.

I don't know if I have a breaking point because I always have hope for what's around the corner. But I can say that I've been enjoying things a lot less and I can't point to several things that contribute to that. As it stands, I don't have any plans to return to WDW in the near future. I'm sure I will. I always do. But I'm not planning a trip--even a pretend trip that is for the sole purpose of daydreaming. That's odd.

I wrote a lot. Sorry.

azcavalier
05-14-2015, 04:46 PM
I think it's important to remember that what causes a negative experience is completely subjective. There are hundreds of reasons why one person could be souring on the WDW experience while another is finding their reasons to go increasing.

I think most of us would all agree that the main reason we go is that "feeling." Call it magic, call it an escape from reality, call it fantasy...the Disney experience calls a certain group of people back again and again because it makes us, well, happy. For some of us it makes us feel as though we're kids again. Others find it relaxing. Some find it thrilling. Some love watching their kids experience the magic. Others find luxury. There's no one thing that makes the place special. It's not a tangible thing you can point out. It seems to be a feeling.

When that feeling starts to fade, it's not a pleasant feeling because you really do feel as though you're losing something special. It doesn't just happen over night. It takes time. A few trips don't quite do it. A few changes may directly impact what that "thing" is for you. You stop planning your next trip before your current trip is over. You stop listening to ride music at work. You find yourself in the middle of a trip and just not feeling amazed and delighted. It's not as magical.

It may be you. It may be the park and changes. Who knows? But when your special place no longer feels special your first instinct is to try and get it back. It might come out on message boards as being negative, constant complaining, never being happy because that's all you can focus on. You want it back, so you shout to the mountain tops, pleading for it to return. People who are complaining about changes aren't complaining because they are bitter. They're truly upset because they feel they've lost something special. Maybe it was the closure of a quick service restaurant that finally tipped them to the point where they want to rally others to help them get it back. Some people are better at complaining politely than others (it's those others that tend to start flame wars).

I'm one of those people who has been feeling the magic waning. My kids are sill excited, and planning constantly. For me? My last few trips have not been filled with Disney magic. I don't know why. Luckily I had wonderful people who made the experiences magical. (Friendship is magic! Sorry. I don't know why I felt the need to say that.)There are things I certainly don't like that have changed over the years, but there have also been many things that have changed that I genuinely love. Could be the parks. Could be the business decisions. Could be me. Could be all three. Something has changed for me.

And that makes me sad. I don't mean to sound negative about the things I complain about. I certainly don't complain about them online (though I might crack some jokes). But those complaints are really made with a deep love for something. It certainly doesn't help me feel better when I do talk to my friends and, rather than listen and discuss it, they chide me for being negative. Nor, I'm sure, would like like me calling them Pollyanas because they have a more positive outlook. We each have our own experiences and should be able to share them.

I don't know if I have a breaking point because I always have hope for what's around the corner. But I can say that I've been enjoying things a lot less and I can't point to several things that contribute to that. As it stands, I don't have any plans to return to WDW in the near future. I'm sure I will. I always do. But I'm not planning a trip--even a pretend trip that is for the sole purpose of daydreaming. That's odd.

I wrote a lot. Sorry.

Don't apologize. This is *exactly* the kind of response I was hoping to get. Even I am surprised at the overwhelming positive responses on this thread. But you eloquently stated just what I was wondering. I still love WDW, and admittedly am still excited to go back every time we do, but not quite as excited. Maybe because it's not new, or we've overdone it in the past few years...I don't know. But this last time, as I found myself riding the Gran Fiesta Tour, looking at the (dated) video of tourist Mexico, I found myself thinking, "Man, i'd rather be in Mexico." And I then spent the rest of the weekend thinking about going to someplace tropical on vacation. Which is something that doesn't interest my wife *at all*. She loves WDW. And she is the breadwinner and has a high stress job. So, if it keeps her happy, I'll keep going. Because she needs the vacation more than I do. And it's still her happy place. I'd say that my tipping/breaking point for it being "magical" is much closer than hers is.

Christine
05-14-2015, 05:33 PM
This is a GREAT topic and have loved seeing the insight from everyone. Clearly we moved across the country to be here at WDW, so I haven't reached that point, but as someone else stated, some of the things happening right now are a big off-putting. #Frozen ;)

WiltonJohn
05-14-2015, 06:22 PM
I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. No complaining or negativity - just many posters who appreciate the overall experience.

Yeah... this has been an issue for me here on the forums for quite a while. It used to be a "magical place" to visit. Not so much anymore.

I mentioned my feelings about this to the Admins a while back. It has tended to be a big pot of negativity as the verbose 'armchair quarterbacks' rant and rant about how bad Disney is in so many ways. In thread after thread. What amazes me is that these folks are still here on a Disney focused site. If it is so bad and so totally hopeless and so doomed to failure...... I wonder why they still hang around. Other than to rant.

Can Disney be better? Of course. Do they sometimes make mistakes? Yes. Are there some poor Cast members? Yes. Is it expensive? Yes. Does it get crowded? Yes. Has my family ever had a negative experience? Yes. Are they making a lot of money? Yes. Is it hot in Florida in the summer? Yes. Are some attractions outdated? Yes. Do we want them to update faster? Yes.

But you know...... it can also be a darn lot of fun. I think that the larger number of positives FAR outweigh the smaller amount of negatives. By FAR!

You often bring your own expectations with you wherever you go....... and if you are looking for certain things... you'll often find them. If you are looking for problems... you'll frequently find them. If you are looking for positive stuff... you'll likely find that stuff too.

So yes.. this thread basically started out as a nice breath of 'fresh air".

best,

...................john

DizneyRox
05-14-2015, 07:05 PM
It was about 3-4 years ago... We've been cruising now for a few years, no plans to stop. We didn't think we'd be on a cruise this year, change of plans.. We're going, again!

jennsky
05-14-2015, 08:47 PM
I totally understand what Gary wrote. I've kinda been feeling that way about WDW too. BUT (being a glass half-full type of gal) those feelings have pushed me to try out some NEW Disney destinations in order to get back that "magic". We went on our first Disney Cruise a couple years ago (and are looking at booking another one in the spring). AND we are going on our very first DISNEYLAND trip this fall. So while I may not have any plans to visit WDW in the foreseeable future, I'm definitely looking for the magic elsewhere! :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
05-15-2015, 03:09 AM

Well said!

It would take very much for me to hit the point where WDW doesn't fit into my life anymore. I guess if you took away Spaceship Earth, the World Showcase, Space Mountain, the view of the castle from Main Street, Haunted Mansion, the Carousel of Progress, Splash Mountain, the TTA, and Big Thunder Mountain, maybe I'd stop coming. :D

The whole process of getting away from the real world, meaning, the flight, MCO, the drive to WDW, the feeling of going through the gates at MK for the first time, being at a WDW resort, driving up to Epcot, these are all things that I don't get anywhere nor can I put a price on. Not much else makes everything else go away like WDW. Even a message board or youtube video can do the trick on a bad day. Breaking point?

This guy is far from it. And is proud of it.

:mickey:

Stu29573
05-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Since I'm a lifelong resident of Texas, and not especially wealthy, my trips are pretty few and far between (as you can see by my signature). Actually, though, this fact is somewhat of a blessing. I think if I went multiple times a year, or even once a year, I might get burned out. The way it is, however, I'm always excited about that next trip because it's such a BIG DEAL. Its a tradition that started at Disneyland with my grandparents, continued at WDW with my daughter, and is now further continuing with my grandchildren.
I have memories of my grandmother getting off the Matterhorn and taking a "stress pill," my daughter walking down Main Street U.S.A at night with the lights on her sneakers adding to the lights on the buildings, and my wife looking at me on Big Thunder Mountain with what she said was the "look of fear!" All these memories are years, even decades apart, and all are part of "The Magic." ...and there are hundreds more.
So will I ever get tired of Disney? I really don't think so. Because Disney isn't really a place for me, its an ideal. Its a feeling. And for me, its pretty rare.

dpamac
05-15-2015, 05:43 PM
But this last time, as I found myself riding the Gran Fiesta Tour, looking at the (dated) video of tourist Mexico, I found myself thinking, "Man, i'd rather be in Mexico." And I then spent the rest of the weekend thinking about going to someplace tropical on vacation. Which is something that doesn't interest my wife *at all*. She loves WDW. And she is the breadwinner and has a high stress job. So, if it keeps her happy, I'll keep going. Because she needs the vacation more than I do. And it's still her happy place. I'd say that my tipping/breaking point for it being "magical" is much closer than hers is.

Ah, Mexican Small World. Oddly, the whole Mexico pavilion is one of my warm and fuzzy places. I think part of what's going on for me is wanderlust. We don't get a lot of opportunity to travel and maybe I'm feeling fenced in because we tend to repeat the same destinations. Plus I'm getting old and crabby.

My kids, especially my oldest daughter (to be fair, she's 20) are still huge Disney nuts, so they are filled to the brim with magic. The oldest is wanting to expand our reach. That may be just what I need to reinvigorate that magical feeling. Which leads me to...

I totally understand what Gary wrote. I've kinda been feeling that way about WDW too. BUT (being a glass half-full type of gal) those feelings have pushed me to try out some NEW Disney destinations in order to get back that "magic". We went on our first Disney Cruise a couple years ago (and are looking at booking another one in the spring). AND we are going on our very first DISNEYLAND trip this fall. So while I may not have any plans to visit WDW in the foreseeable future, I'm definitely looking for the magic elsewhere! :mickey:

That is exactly what my daughter has been suggesting. We're looking at either DL or a cruise to celebrate her graduation from college. Still have a few years until that happens, but it may be the perfect remedy.

Airblue1
05-16-2015, 01:53 AM
When quality decreases

missymouseworld
05-16-2015, 08:14 AM
But at what point do you stop?

I am hoping this never happens and our family continues to enjoy WDW. As our children are growing up, the dynamic of trips continues to change......

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
05-17-2015, 06:52 AM
I don't think I will ever reach the point that I don't go to Disney. I just returned from WDW Friday night. Our trip was 05-08-15 - 05-15-15. My husband surprised me with the trip several months ago as a way for us to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. He gave me options to choose from: A train trip through the Grand Canyon (never been), A week at the beach, A Disney Cruise (never did a Disney cruise before) or a week at Disney. I chose the Disney Cruise (a 3 night cruise). But of course I can't be that close to the Magic and not visit the World - So we did that too (4 nights at POFQ)!

The last time we went was last year to celebrate our DD's graduation from college. We had NO intention of going again so soon. I was a little afraid that it was too soon after just being there last year but I was also afraid that I would regret not doing both. It's only money, right?! lol!

Let me say that in no way, shape or form are we wealthy. Far from it. We try to go to Disney every 2-3 years. We save for it.

The biggest draw for me to celebrate our anniversary with Disney was because of the memories. We honeymooned at Disney 25 years ago and it really was a no-brainer that we should do that to celebrate our love for each other. I am one of those people that walks into the park (any one of them) and a smile comes across my face because I have just entered "The Happiest Place in MY World.":cloud9:

I am SO happy that I made that decision months ago. Not just because of the anniversary but because my sister died on 04-29-15. I don't know if I can express how much the "Disney Experience" helped me through what is a terrible time in my life right now. I escaped from the hustle and bustle of real life and I was able to relax and enjoy myself; and grieve. The cruise was so relaxing. (I want to live on Serenity Beach at Castaway Cay.) Even tho we did all our "planning" months ago with reservations and FP's for Disney, we took our time. We actually skipped Animal Kingdom to have down-time at DTD. We took every day and did it at our pace. That's what I needed. Seriously - no rushing. We didn't make it to a FP? Who care's. I really didn't.

I know my grieving isn't over but Disney helped tremendously. I have lost both my parents and 2 of my brothers. Each time it's been different with each loss. My one brother was a Disney fanatic so we took a trip to Disney months after he passed and spread his ashes at his favorite places in the World. It was as cathartic then just as it was cathartic now.

I apologize if this was too long-winded. I just wanted to share how the "Magic" has helped me more than I can express. Maybe some of you will get it or maybe not - just putting it out there.

WiltonJohn
05-17-2015, 08:14 AM
According to an article on MSN this morning....... "As of Summer 2014, the Magic Kingdom is the world's most popular theme park. It's held the No. 1 spot for a few years now, followed closely by Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland."

Quoted under "Fair Use".

best,

.............john

TikiLounger
05-17-2015, 11:02 AM
We've been vacationing in Disney World since my kids were very little. They are now 25 and 23. I had to reply on this thread because we were just, last night, talking about another trip. The kids and I would go several times a year and still not get tired of the parks. My husband isn't so quick to head back. He enjoys things once he gets there but, at this time, he's probably reached his own, personal, breaking point. I think the only reason that he breaks down in the vacation planning and finally agrees to another trip to Disney is that he really loves the Food and Wine Festival. He and I have been able to attend this great event many times...alone. He really enjoys this and the quiet time we get to experience. We've also been fortunate that we get to travel to other places, as well. Hawaii is a favorite. So...I'm currently looking into Aulani. Hopefully, I can make everyone happy. The kids will get a Disney fix, and my husband will be able to get back to Hawaii. :papple::mickey::fingers:

I have to add that, as a family, we have so many wonderful memories (as we ALL do). We try and ignore all the changes to The World that we don't like, or find necessary. It's frustrating to us, but we remember how things used to be and we feel fortunate to have been able to visit the "old" Disney World.

Cinderelley
05-18-2015, 12:36 AM
I am hovering right on that line right now. I just got back from a week long stay there. While some things were very magical, there were others that I just can't ignore.

1) Theming - One night we were walking towards the exit in Magic Kingdom while MSEP was going on. We were diverted through a pathway that said castmembers only. We saw the backs of buildings and machines that were never supposed to be seen. There's a reason why I have never taken tours to see how things work in Disney - I want it to stay magical. This detour definitely ruined the magic and ruined my mood for a good while after seeing it. I mean really ruined it. My friend was going back to our hotel, and I had planned on staying in the park. After seeing the walk way, I considered walking out of the park and not ever returning. It was at least an hour before I could shake that off.
The last time I went to a different amusement park was in 2002. The only reason I went was that we were visiting in laws in Pennsylvania, and they wanted to go. I don't go to Sea World. I don't go to Six Flags. I don't go anywhere else, because they don't make me feel like I've walked into another place far from my every day life.
In addition to that, the area in front of the castle is a huge catastrophy. They have huge canvases with poorly painted trees to attempt to camouflage whatever they are doing. Pieces of equipment still stick out the top. The concrete area has green fences placed all around it. This is the first time I've never taken a picture of the castle. I was completely appalled at their lack of presentation. All the construction walls at Downtown Disney were annoying. In Magic Kingdom, it was completely disgusting.

2) Fastpass + - I didn't like this at all, and I said so as we did a survey on our way out of Animal Kingdom. I booked our fastpasses for the morning time. They couldn't overlap the times, so we would ride one ride and then have to wait to ride another. It wasn't long enough for us to really go do anything between rides, but it was long enough that we couldn't just walk straight over to that ride and ride it. We did a lot of standing around staring in shops. Not to mention that you have to criss cross everywhere to reach the rides. Big Thunder over there. Seven Dwarves Mine Train over here. Buzz Lightyear all the way in Tomorrowland. Then you have to trek to the fastpass kiosk and stand in line if you want a 4th one. There were times that I was exhausted but felt like I HAD to stay and get all the fastpasses in. Before, we could just start in one land, say Adventureland, grab a fastpass for PIrates then ride what we wanted to ride around there while waiting for our time to pop up. After we used our fastpass, we just moved on to the next area - get a fastpass for Big Thunder and go ride Splash while we waited, etc. If I was getting tired, I wasn't tied to a fastpass that I had planned 60 days ago. If I happened to be holding a fastpass and wanted to leave, I could just pick someone in the crowd and give it to them.

3)Some Castmembers - We met some amazing castmembers on the trip, but it ended on a very, very sour note. I used to go to WDW every year before I got sick - many times it was girls trips and my family stayed home. It was petty much a tradition that I would make a quick run to Epcot on my last day, use the shopping pass to grab some schoolbread for everyone and bring it home with me on the plane. This trip, I went to Epcot and waited in a line at guest services for an hour and a half to get the shopping pass. While I was in line, 3 different people asked me what I was there for, because they were sending people to other places if their needs could be fulfilled quicker there. Each one of them told me I was in the right line.
When I finally got to the window, the castmember told me that they didn't have such a thing. Thinking that she may be new, I explained to her that I had done it several times and that three other castmembers had told me I could get it in that particular line. She asked her Supervisor, and he said that they were 1 hour passes now. When I left MK, I had 2.5 hours to get the schoolbread and get back to the resort for the magical express bus to take me to the airport. By the time I got through the line, I only had 1 hour. The castmember at the window then proceeds to lecture me about how I shouldn't depend on the shopping pass, because it wasn't a guarantee. I was only supposed to use it if I had bought something that was only sold in one of the countries, and it needed to be returned. People had been abusing it, and it was under review about continuing it or not. I was the worst type of criminal for wanting to get into Epcot. blah, blah, blah. She was typing slow as molasses while she was busy lecturing me. She couldn't type, because she had to look at me to tell me what a lousy horrible human I was instead of hunting and pecking for each key. I really wanted to tell her several things that would have been inappropriate in front of children. Eventually, she finished with her tirade and said that I would have to pay for a full day ticket (mind you, I had my magic band on and she never asked what tickets I had on it) then come back and stand in line again to get a refund. I told her that my magical express bus would be picking me up in an hour, so I could not stand in another 1.5 hour long line. Her reply was "that's the way we do it." I was so angry that I just told her to forget it, went to a ticket line and added the park hopper option to my tickets. It was seriously pathetic that a guest thought of a cheaper, faster way to get what they wanted than what Disney guest services came up with. I had to run through Epcot to make it in time. I made sure to pay with my magic band, so they could see that all I did was buy the 7 schoolbread that I had told her about to begin with. Then I had to hop a cab to make it back to AKL in time.
Seriously, if all they had done was said "we don't offer that any more, but can I suggest you get the park hopper option to get entry to buy your schoolbread?", I would have happily done it and gotten out of there much quicker. As it was, it is a very good thing that there was glass between me and that woman. Yes, I would probably have been arrested and banned from Disney World for life, but in that moment, it would have been so worth it. Sitting here thinking about it again, I still think it would have been worth it.

We have been planning a family trip back to Walt Disney World in 2017. Normally, we stay for 9 days and never leave the property. In 2017, the idea was to spend two or three days at Universal and then switch to WDW for the nine days. Today I decided that we will stay at Universal Orlando for 5 days and then go to WDW for four. If Universal had more than a 4 day pass, we would probably make it 7 days at Universal and 2 days at Disney World instead. For us, Epcot and Magic Kingdom are the draw. We don't really HAVE to do DHS or AK.

WiltonJohn
05-18-2015, 08:24 AM
Cinderelley,

From one past experience, I can likely tell you that if you take section #3 of your last posting there, clean it up into paragraphs and add an intro and a conclusion... and send that off to Disney Guest Services ........ something WILL get done to 'make that right'.

It certainly does not fix the moment....... but in my experience when something like this happens... and they learn about it...... they DO care.

best,

................john

azcavalier
05-18-2015, 09:41 AM
I am hovering right on that line right now. I just got back from a week long stay there. While some things were very magical, there were others that I just can't ignore.

1) Theming - One night we were walking towards the exit in Magic Kingdom while MSEP was going on. We were diverted through a pathway that said castmembers only. We saw the backs of buildings and machines that were never supposed to be seen. There's a reason why I have never taken tours to see how things work in Disney - I want it to stay magical. This detour definitely ruined the magic and ruined my mood for a good while after seeing it. I mean really ruined it. My friend was going back to our hotel, and I had planned on staying in the park. After seeing the walk way, I considered walking out of the park and not ever returning. It was at least an hour before I could shake that off.

I've been that way before. It does take the shine off the park a bit, doesn't it? We had to leave that way one evening in January. As we were walking out, my wife and I were talking about how Walt would *never* have allowed that.

In addition to that, the area in front of the castle is a huge catastrophy. They have huge canvases with poorly painted trees to attempt to camouflage whatever they are doing. Pieces of equipment still stick out the top. The concrete area has green fences placed all around it.

Yeah, we thought that as well. What is going on there? We did, however, love the new garden areas in front of the Crystal Palace and the Plaza. When we were walking to the Plaza for lunch one day a few weeks ago, there was a young man proposing on that new grassy area. It was fun to watch.

2) Fastpass + - I didn't like this at all, and I said so as we did a survey on our way out of Animal Kingdom. I booked our fastpasses for the morning time. They couldn't overlap the times, so we would ride one ride and then have to wait to ride another. It wasn't long enough for us to really go do anything between rides, but it was long enough that we couldn't just walk straight over to that ride and ride it. We did a lot of standing around staring in shops. Not to mention that you have to criss cross everywhere to reach the rides. Big Thunder over there. Seven Dwarves Mine Train over here. Buzz Lightyear all the way in Tomorrowland. Then you have to trek to the fastpass kiosk and stand in line if you want a 4th one. There were times that I was exhausted but felt like I HAD to stay and get all the fastpasses in. Before, we could just start in one land, say Adventureland, grab a fastpass for PIrates then ride what we wanted to ride around there while waiting for our time to pop up. After we used our fastpass, we just moved on to the next area - get a fastpass for Big Thunder and go ride Splash while we waited, etc. If I was getting tired, I wasn't tied to a fastpass that I had planned 60 days ago. If I happened to be holding a fastpass and wanted to leave, I could just pick someone in the crowd and give it to them.

Agree and disagree. There is much to dislike about the new FP+ system. If that is your first time using it, you're bound to hate it. It messes with your "system". It did with us, as well. The main upside to the new system is that you can book FPs for the big rides in one park in the afternoon, but hit a completely different park in the morning. So, for example, we did the MK one morning and just hit 7DMT, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, left after lunch, and went to Epcot in the afternoon and still got to ride Soarin'. We couldn't have done that under the old system. Or we showed up to DHS one afternoon around 4pm, and still got to ride Toy Story Mania, where under the old system those FPs would have been long gone and we would have stood in a 120 minute line.

3)Some Castmembers - We met some amazing castmembers on the trip, but it ended on a very, very sour note. I used to go to WDW every year before I got sick - many times it was girls trips and my family stayed home. It was petty much a tradition that I would make a quick run to Epcot on my last day, use the shopping pass to grab some schoolbread for everyone and bring it home with me on the plane. This trip, I went to Epcot and waited in a line at guest services for an hour and a half to get the shopping pass. While I was in line, 3 different people asked me what I was there for, because they were sending people to other places if their needs could be fulfilled quicker there. Each one of them told me I was in the right line.
When I finally got to the window, the castmember told me that they didn't have such a thing. Thinking that she may be new, I explained to her that I had done it several times and that three other castmembers had told me I could get it in that particular line. She asked her Supervisor, and he said that they were 1 hour passes now. When I left MK, I had 2.5 hours to get the schoolbread and get back to the resort for the magical express bus to take me to the airport. By the time I got through the line, I only had 1 hour. The castmember at the window then proceeds to lecture me about how I shouldn't depend on the shopping pass, because it wasn't a guarantee. I was only supposed to use it if I had bought something that was only sold in one of the countries, and it needed to be returned. People had been abusing it, and it was under review about continuing it or not. I was the worst type of criminal for wanting to get into Epcot. blah, blah, blah. She was typing slow as molasses while she was busy lecturing me. She couldn't type, because she had to look at me to tell me what a lousy horrible human I was instead of hunting and pecking for each key. I really wanted to tell her several things that would have been inappropriate in front of children. Eventually, she finished with her tirade and said that I would have to pay for a full day ticket (mind you, I had my magic band on and she never asked what tickets I had on it) then come back and stand in line again to get a refund. I told her that my magical express bus would be picking me up in an hour, so I could not stand in another 1.5 hour long line. Her reply was "that's the way we do it." I was so angry that I just told her to forget it, went to a ticket line and added the park hopper option to my tickets. It was seriously pathetic that a guest thought of a cheaper, faster way to get what they wanted than what Disney guest services came up with. I had to run through Epcot to make it in time. I made sure to pay with my magic band, so they could see that all I did was buy the 7 schoolbread that I had told her about to begin with. Then I had to hop a cab to make it back to AKL in time.
Seriously, if all they had done was said "we don't offer that any more, but can I suggest you get the park hopper option to get entry to buy your schoolbread?", I would have happily done it and gotten out of there much quicker. As it was, it is a very good thing that there was glass between me and that woman. Yes, I would probably have been arrested and banned from Disney World for life, but in that moment, it would have been so worth it. Sitting here thinking about it again, I still think it would have been worth it.

I've never heard of a "Shopping Pass". Interesting. But we usually have Park Hoppers, so I guess this wouldn't affect me.

It does seem that those at Guest Services are not the fastest typers. But an hour and a half? Holy cow. We've had the rare bad experience with Cast Members. They can't ALL be happy and helpful ALL the time. I mean, in the 14 or so years we've been doing WDW, we've had only one truly bad experience with a CM. And, it was partly our fault. We broke a rule (that we didn't know about), but he was ovezealous in his reaction. To the point of absurdity. But, since we initiated it, I never followed up. In your case, I think it would be appropriate to complain to the management. I'm sure they'll make it right...as far as they can.

Cinderelley
05-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys, but there really isn't anything they can do to make it right. I mostly try to think of the great parts of my trip. The staff at Animal Kingdom Lodge were amazing. They were always happy and greeted us. My friend even commented on the attitude difference between people at AKL and another resort we visited. I realize people have bad days, but this will stay with me for a long, long time.

Priority Four
05-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Is there a forum dedicated to Universal Studios where we can announce our intention to go to Disney next time? I reached my Universal Breaking after a two day visit.

deedee73
05-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, but there really isn't anything they can do to make it right. I mostly try to think of the great parts of my trip. The staff at Animal Kingdom Lodge were amazing. They were always happy and greeted us. My friend even commented on the attitude difference between people at AKL and another resort we visited. I realize people have bad days, but this will stay with me for a long, long time.

Christi...I know you don't think there is anything that but you should ay least make them aware of the situation. Perhaps you will get a free day pass or the money paid for the park hopper add on but you never know. But letting Disnwy know of your experience may help someone else in the future. Don't look at it as trying to let them make up for the experience but as a chance to better it for someone else.

I have actually done exactly what you were trying to do to get a bottle of Polish wine for my gram from the wine festival one year & while it took longer than planned I did not hit the road blocks you did. It was a long walk/run to & from the BC where the rest of our group was finishing up our dinner.

I hope that your lackluster Disney moments do not overshadow your amazing & happy ones for long. Disney is a magical place that I hope you share with your soon to be Disney princess.

MNNHFLTX
05-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Is there a forum dedicated to Universal Studios where we can announce our intention to go to Disney next time? I reached my Universal Breaking after a two day visit.

Please feel free to start a thread in the Universal forum. It's in the Vacations Beyond Disney section.

Cinderelley
05-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Oh no! I don't want to hear that! :P

Hammer
05-18-2015, 03:47 PM
I still enjoy my annual trips to Disney World because the reason I go is not for just one thing, like rides, but the whole cumulative experience. The rides are really a small component of why I go. We like having lots of options when we vacation. My sister and I like that we can go on rides, shop, enjoy the Food and Wine Festival, have a plethora of table service choices for our meals, get a massage, rent a pool cabana, go to a movie, see a live show, go to high tea, or play mini (or regular) golf all in one vacation without leaving property. We liked it so much, we bought DVC points so we can have the size of accommodations we like (1 or 2 bedrooms).

Yes, there are changes that have happened at WDW which I do not like (180 day ADRs and credit card holds for ALL dining reservations top the list) and I've mentioned them on these boards, but I don’t let myself be bogged down by it. As my parents always told me, it isn't what you say, but how you say it. I adapt to it where I can. I realize I am also fortunate enough to be financially able to take vacations to other destinations throughout the year so it will take a bit for Disney to become out of my reach.

TheVBs
05-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Cinderelly, so sorry about your experience! I agree that you should let someone know. One of those CMs checking on you should have been informed that there may be a problem getting the shopping pass (which I've never heard of until now!). Not to take away from your experience at all, but doing that shortly before needing to catch ME sounds like a recipe for disaster. I realize you've done it before and wanted the snacks to be as fresh as possible, but perhaps that was cutting it too close?

Just to add to my earlier post, one of the things that keeps the magic alive for us is the immersion we experience once we check in. Like others have pointed out, the music, the details, not having to leave the property and a large variety of things to do keep us coming back. There is always something new for us to try, and old favorites to enjoy.

disguy
05-18-2015, 05:09 PM
I sort of feel we hit our breaking point on our last trip in October 2014. My partner came down with plantars facitis right before our trip. We had planned this trip for months and decided it was worth breaking the budget for. We went to Town Hall on our first day to see if we could get a standby pass. We were not looking to cut any lines but since he could not stand still on his feet for a long time, we figured we could get a return time and then find a bench or keep on the move until we could get on an attraction. We were met at town hall on the steps by a castmember who asked us what we were there for and as we started to tell him he got that look. You know the one where someone is is talking to you but they are not focusing on you or anything, it's just blank and advisary. So we explained that we had information from the doctor and he basically just cut us off and kicked us out of line and told us to rent a wheel chair. The worst part was there I am with a full blown hernia with no choice but to rent the chair. He could care less. We spent one of the most humiliating and painful trips we ever had. We came home exhausted and frustrated and wondering if at 48 we were "too old" for Disney.

I don't know what that guy's problem was but he was extreemly sucessful in making us feel like we were trying to get away with something. I'll never forget that. Now we just have mixed feelings about returning.

I get that cast members are human too, but what has Disney changed in the training program these days? You can say no to somebody two ways, one informs them of your policy or why you can't help them, the other intimidates them and makes them feel ashamed.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-18-2015, 08:01 PM
I have two Disney breaking points. One, if they make it so expensive that I no longer can afford to go. Two, they let cleanliness and the overall beauty of the resort go down hill. Besides those two things, I will keep going.

azcavalier
05-18-2015, 10:20 PM
The castmember at the window then proceeds to lecture me about how I shouldn't depend on the shopping pass, because it wasn't a guarantee. I was only supposed to use it if I had bought something that was only sold in one of the countries, and it needed to be returned. People had been abusing it, and it was under review about continuing it or not. I was the worst type of criminal for wanting to get into Epcot. blah, blah, blah. She was typing slow as molasses while she was busy lecturing me. She couldn't type, because she had to look at me to tell me what a lousy horrible human I was instead of hunting and pecking for each key.

I don't know what that guy's problem was but he was extremely successful in making us feel like we were trying to get away with something. I'll never forget that. Now we just have mixed feelings about returning.

After reading these, my wife and I were just wondering how frustrated Disney must be getting with people doing just that both of you were assumed to be doing....trying to abuse the system. I am not saying that either of you were trying to game the system. You were both using it for what it was intended for. But you *know* that others take advantage of it, and so because of those few it gets ruined for everyone. Such as those jerks that were renting themselves out as "handicapped" so you could have a person in your party in a wheelchair to help you skip lines, etc. I didn't know about the shopping pass, but it is easy to see how that could be used to ride attractions and such. I'd bet that got abused a TON.

scooterca42
05-21-2015, 01:02 PM
We may have passed it. I hope not. But the last trip was just such a chore to get through, even with the different items we planned and accomplished. Getting the Disney Bark :ill: didn't help, but even before that we were pottering around thinking maybe next time we'd do Universal, go to the beach, etc. In England, Big D looked at me and said "Hey, maybe we should think about making a real visit to England"...

Is it just that we are too familiar with the parks? Maybe. We have a Disney cruise planned in February, so I hope that provides a new take on it. But we likely won't be going back to the parks proper until at least 2020, to see the new lands. By then, perhaps, it won't be a chore, and I'll have found my joyful planning self again.

mcjaco
05-21-2015, 01:44 PM
I went three times one year. That was enough for me. I was so hopelessly bored that third time, it was a waste.

Once a year I can handle, but with kids now, we've been pushing it out to every 18-24 months.

DNS
05-23-2015, 11:42 AM
I have been there a couple of times. For some time we were going twice a year for 7 to 10 days at a time. I think we (mostly I) got kind of burnt out on it. We hit a year where we had some planning issues, not being able to get reservations and some other things, and then when we got there, it seemed like most of the cast members we interacted with were rude. Then toward the end of that trip I got sick. I just did not want to go back for some time. So we took some time away and that helped. Then we had another vacation where we just weren't having the best time for various reasons and have not been there for almost 3 years now and I can tell you that we are both SO looking forward to our trip this fall! So now I am planning to not get back into the every year or twice a year thing and just go every 2 to 3 years. I think that will help a lot to keep things fresh and the excitement level high.

manutd1
05-23-2015, 06:22 PM
That is VERY WELL stated.......:secret:

MNNHFLTX
05-23-2015, 10:19 PM
That is VERY WELL stated.......:secret:Again, there is a Universal forum if someone wants to start that thread. No :secret: about it.

NJGIRL
05-24-2015, 02:17 PM
I loved Gary's explanation. A lot of what he said can be applied to my feelings also. We have not cut Disney out altogether, but have cut the number of trips and days we have been going for the last couple of years.

We still have a lot of fun at Disney but it is no longer without occasional stress and frustration, but we are not out of the game yet. :D

Stickey
05-24-2015, 11:09 PM
We just returned from WDW after a 3.67 year gap between trips. Prior to this gap, we had 11 trips in 8 years. This trip was non-stop, but enjoyable. Overall, we did not lose the magic, however the free dining crowds in September took WDW off our list for our main annual vacation. In addition, the hassle and cost of air travel was another factor.

We look forward to our next trip to WDW as well as a DL and a Disney cruise. I hope Disney becomes more active in adding some new major attractions. The commitment to an apparent one hit wonder-Avatar, was not the best choice.

WiltonJohn
05-25-2015, 10:10 AM
The commitment to an apparent one hit wonder-Avatar, was not the best choice.

I'm not too sure about that thought myself:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/

Quote out of a NY Times article critical of the "biggest box office of all time" comments circulating back in 2010 ..........

"One other detail: “Avatar” would be closer to the top spot in a ranking of worldwide grosses, as opposed to ticket sales only in this country. This worldwide list, also from Box Office Mojo, is not adjusted for inflation, but you can do the math yourself. Based on these numbers, “Titanic” is slightly ahead of “Avatar.” “Star Wars” may or may not be, depending on how much of its gross came in 1977 and how much came in later years. I also wonder whether there is good data about the worldwide grosses for “Gone With the Wind” and other old movies."

His main beef in that piece is that the figures typically quoted are not adjusted for inflation. So "Gone With The Wind" box office Dollars are worth more than "Avatar" Dollars.

But Avatar is a very successful movie nonetheless. And a visual feast ... which is right up Disney's alley.

best,

................john

ryca1dreams
05-25-2015, 11:02 AM
You can see we haven't been to WDW in a few years mainly because my son grew up (although I didn't). But, I'm a little hesitant to sink a lot of money into WDW again because:

1) It sounds like there is so much planning to do now. I like individual FP and line management because I like being flexible with minimal planning.
2) Although the new Fantasyland sounds cool, has anything been done to update Epcot or Studios? So much potential there.
3) We used to plan visits around slow times (Sept-Oct for us), but I'm hearing there really isn't one anymore. Not a deal breaker, but just something that was enticing.

Maybe I'm wrong about everything and it's all wonderful. I still love most all things Disney and really feel a desire to go pack and relive the magic. I guess I need to do more studying on how things work now (I listen to the podcast and read this and other forums, but don't really do in-depth research). I try to be objective, but at this point I'm fine not going back.

manutd1
05-25-2015, 11:05 AM
I'm not too sure about that thought myself:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/

Quote out of a NY Times article critical of the "biggest box office of all time" comments circulating back in 2010 ..........

"One other detail: “Avatar” would be closer to the top spot in a ranking of worldwide grosses, as opposed to ticket sales only in this country. This worldwide list, also from Box Office Mojo, is not adjusted for inflation, but you can do the math yourself. Based on these numbers, “Titanic” is slightly ahead of “Avatar.” “Star Wars” may or may not be, depending on how much of its gross came in 1977 and how much came in later years. I also wonder whether there is good data about the worldwide grosses for “Gone With the Wind” and other old movies."

His main beef in that piece is that the figures typically quoted are not adjusted for inflation. So "Gone With The Wind" box office Dollars are worth more than "Avatar" Dollars.

But Avatar is a very successful movie nonetheless. And a visual feast ... which is right up Disney's alley.

best,

................john
I was thinking the same thing. Avatar, which there is the second movie soon to be released....and a third in pre production...ALL of them (with the first) already being huge....will be massive box office movies. I think using Avatar at the A.K. is a very good choice. Looking forward to it:thumbsup:

azcavalier
05-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Im reserving judgement on Avatar. I liked the movie fine, and I think that Disney could do a great job with it....if they don't cut the budget too much. The imagineers could make it spectacular, if allowed to do what they do without too much restriction.

Cinderelley
05-25-2015, 06:44 PM
I didn't like the movie much, but I will wait and see how it goes. There are so many things at Disney that aren't tied to movies that it is a moot point for me. Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, etc. Splash Mountain is based on a movie, but I'm willing to bet most young kids now have no idea what that movie is about.

azcavalier
05-26-2015, 09:19 AM
I didn't like the movie much, but I will wait and see how it goes. There are so many things at Disney that aren't tied to movies that it is a moot point for me. Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, etc. Splash Mountain is based on a movie, but I'm willing to bet most young kids now have no idea what that movie is about.

Shoot, i'm 42 and am not sure what the movie is about. I have a vague idea, but haven't seen it.

Cinderelley
05-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Shoot, i'm 42 and am not sure what the movie is about. I have a vague idea, but haven't seen it.

Um, a kid runs away. There's a rabbit, a bear, and a fox. That's about all I know. Oh and a laughin' place. lol

"Time to be turnin' around" "If only you could"

baldburke
05-26-2015, 12:14 PM

Doesn't mean they couldn't make movies in the future a la Pirates or Haunted Mansion...

LovinWDW
05-26-2015, 03:38 PM
I hope we never hit our breaking point. We go 2 sometimes 3 times a year and get excited for each trip. :thumbsup:

NJDad
05-28-2015, 06:09 AM
We've decided to try real Germany instead of Epcot Germany for a change of pace and to allow Disney to make some more new attractions, but we are still planning to visit a castle or three, including the one that inspired the Disney ones.

DadTriton
05-28-2015, 11:50 PM
My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World" - frankly a one-hit wonder. Does anyone here think the ET ride at Universal is a must see? ET also a very popular one-hit wonder movie. They should cancel the project and go all out with Star Wars and Marvel. These are the buzz now and have a long history.

Avatar is distinctly anti-Disney - let's face it - a movie about greedy capitalists vs nature. Doesn't it seem not to mesh with a huge company like Disney carving out new "worlds" like Avatar in the Florida forests?

Cinderelley
05-29-2015, 02:41 AM
Doesn't mean they couldn't make movies in the future a la Pirates or Haunted Mansion...

If Avatarland turns into a huge hit, I can see them making an animated series out of it with an underlying theme of taking care of nature or something.

DizneyFreak2002
05-29-2015, 11:27 PM
My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World" - frankly a one-hit wonder. Does anyone here think the ET ride at Universal is a must see? ET also a very popular one-hit wonder movie. They should cancel the project and go all out with Star Wars and Marvel. These are the buzz now and have a long history.

Avatar is distinctly anti-Disney - let's face it - a movie about greedy capitalists vs nature. Doesn't it seem not to mesh with a huge company like Disney carving out new "worlds" like Avatar in the Florida forests?
Yes ET is a must see... One of the best dark rides ever created in a theme park, and a true classic...

The greedy capitalists vs nature isn't the message Disney will be conveying here... Please, move on from what the movie seemed to be about and look at what the real message of the movie... CONSERVATION... Stop destroying your planet!!!! Fits in perfectly with Animal Kingdom's conservation message...

Oh and one hit wonders? ET is far from a one hit wonder... ET the movie is a classic movie, showed on cable, watched by millions and millions even to this day... ET is still pretty popular...

P.S. Disney cannot use Marvel in WDW so move on from that too...

GoBlueLacheta
05-30-2015, 04:30 PM
It's entertainment and a vacation. I don't think there is a breaking point unless it became unceremoniously expensive, but if planned well you can succeed in having a lovely vacation within a modest budget. The only outside factor really could be airfare.

As far as Avatarland is concerned, I really don't understand the thought process of dedicating an entire land to something with minimal story and character background. The literary backdrop of imagination and immersive nature just doesn't seem to be there for such a large commitment of land within AK. One attraction within a more laid out world maybe so, but I have no doubt that they can introduce wonderful theming and an exciting E-Ticket, but the lasting value and room for growth just doesn't seem to be there.

Harry Potter has the base of 7 books and an entire realm of possibilities to grow. I mean if Universal does decide to open a Hogwarts Hotel of some kind, it's pretty much game over on that front.

LOTR would hold true to the same standard and you can venture into the Nintendo deal and see the plethora of stories that there are to tell.

There are stand alone attractions at both theme parks that don't necessarily tell a story all that well yet are extremely popular, but even successful movies become antiquated and few reach the level of elite and adaptive to theme parks. I just think it holds true that if there is some sort of literary background beyond just the visual movie medium it can have a far lasting impact comics and long standing cartoons included.

tiggerbuddy
05-31-2015, 07:48 AM
We agree with this also:

My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World"

John
05-31-2015, 09:38 AM
We agree with this also:

My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World"

I don't think you have to be excited about the movie to find an attraction of theming interesting.

Looking forward to seeing it if it ever gets done... 😁

ryca1dreams
05-31-2015, 09:56 AM
My issue with the Avatar-land (or whatever) is the cultural impact of the movie. When you look at things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel comics, Raiders, Simpsons, Harry Potter, etc. there is a huge cultural impact. Even though Avatar may have been a huge box-office hit, there are not annual conventions of Avatar fans, at least that I know of, and they don't sell Avatar costumes in stores. No one has a collection of Avatar plates in their kitchen or collects hundreds of dollars worth of Avatar action figures. To me, an Avatar land would excite me as much as a Titanic themed park - yes, you could make it visually appealing and there is a great story there, but is it really going to draw you there? For me, it's not. Maybe there are Avatar fanboys/fangirls out there and I don't know about it. I just don't see the average family saying, "let's go to Disney World. I'm super excited to see the new Avatar ride(s)."

mrte62
05-31-2015, 03:17 PM
As so many have posted not a breaking point, but certainly as the whoa, the prices are making us think point.

Kids are all grown, but the six of us all enjoy the WDW experience. DW and I started going to the Food & Wine Festival a few years ago. Simply loved it. Went back again , skipped a year and came back this year with kids who are all adults joining us for part of the week. DW and I also ran the TOT 10 Miler.

Hard to put our finger on it, but everything seemed so crowded, FP+ was annoying at best, a pain for the most part, MNSSHP was way too crowded for the price paid and the food prices were off the charts. Did we have a great time? Absolutely. Will we back? At some point. But a Baltic Cruise later this year and one through the Panama Canal next year are taking the place of any WDW trips.

Altair
05-31-2015, 03:35 PM
We have already cut way back, but the final nail in the coffin would be the end of Magic Your Way pricing. :ill:

waymickey
06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
My breaking point is actually getting close. We are planning three trips this fall/winter but only because our DD is working there as a photo-pass photographer and we want to see her.

We are staying offsite for the first time in many many years. We plan to leave the bubble and see the rest of Florida. We want to see the beach and maybe go to some different places to eat. We are going to Universal for the first time in 21 years! We may even hit the Keys.

The thing with Disney now is the planning. I am a wing it person. I like doing things on a whim. I hate having to plan fast passes and parks and restaurants in advance. I like getting up and saying lets hit Typhoon lagoon and then Epcot and not worry when my ADRs are or FP+ are. I like hanging at the resort, renting a boat or a bike. I like swimming in the pool and sitting by the pool lounge.

This time we will sit by the pool at the house we rented, BBQ and go to the beach. We will visit with our DD on her days off and maybe do the park just a few days.

John
06-03-2015, 05:37 PM
The thing with Disney now is the planning. I am a wing it person. I like doing things on a whim. I hate having to plan fast passes and parks and restaurants in advance. I like getting up and saying lets hit Typhoon lagoon and then Epcot and not worry when my ADRs are or FP+ are. I like hanging at the resort, renting a boat or a bike. I like swimming in the pool and sitting by the pool lounge.

This time we will sit by the pool at the house we rented, BBQ and go to the beach. We will visit with our DD on her days off and maybe do the park just a few days.

Same here and I think those days are pretty much done at Disney. Staying on site at Universal though would afford you that luxury 😎

Its a different world out there with FP and MDM.

RunDMV
06-03-2015, 09:32 PM
My breaking point is actually getting close. We are planning three trips this fall/winter but only because our DD is working there as a photo-pass photographer and we want to see her.

We are staying offsite for the first time in many many years. We plan to leave the bubble and see the rest of Florida. We want to see the beach and maybe go to some different places to eat. We are going to Universal for the first time in 21 years! We may even hit the Keys.

That's the whole point. I plan 50 weeks a year at work. I dont want to do it on vacation.

azcavalier
06-04-2015, 09:22 AM
That's the whole point. I plan 50 weeks a year at work. I dont want to do it on vacation.

I agree that how much planning you have to do makes it tedious. And I can't, for the life of me, see how Disney markets FP+ as allowing you to be "more spontaneous". But it's not enough to bring my wife to her breaking point. I think that she really loves having the schedule. She's still flexible, and we change up the schedule every time we go, but she still likes the organization of it all.

Cinderelley
06-04-2015, 09:37 AM
I'm a few weeks out from my trip now, and my anger at the Epcot CM has cooled. As the presents I had bought for people were delivered, I realized what a great job most cast members do. The chance that the wrong item could be delivered or something would be broken is always there. Everything was perfect though. One or two bad apples shouldn't give the whole orchard a bad name.

What I can't shake though is how unmagical the atmosphere was. The walk through the castmembers entryway and the sight of construction everywhere still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I realize those are probably temporary, so I try to put it aside.

Fastpass + is a whole different ball game. I didn't like it. I can't imagine any instances where I might like it. I think it wouldn't be so bad if they had fastpass + and the old machines, so that you could reserve your 3 in advance and use the old system after your first three. You could even just use the old system instead of Fastpass + if you wanted to.

Another thing that is still really bothering me was the lack of photopass photographers, especially in DHS. I paid quite a bit of money for the Memory Maker package, because I wanted plenty of pictures with my friend. In the past, I have had wonderful pictures with friends in many spots along the streets of america. This trip, there wasn't a single photopass photographer there all day long except for the one dedicated to the Cinderella coach. We did have some amazing photographers in AK, but I feel like they should be available like that in all the parks.

I'm also not thrilled with Disney firing its employees to hire people from other countries.
I'm not ready to completely call it quits on Disney, but I'm perfectly happy with shifting my trips from Disney World to Disneyland.

Mendelson
06-05-2015, 01:28 PM
We are just back from a trip that was combo WDW and a cruise on the Fantasy, ending a two-year run where we've gone more than ever. In May 2013 we did a WDW-Fantasy cruise trip; in April 14 we did a few days at DL; in Jan 15 we did a week at WDW, and now the trip that just finished.

This is quite the glut for us.

I kind of got the feeling on this last trip that Gary articulated so well - it's not as completely, purely magical for me anymore and I've wondered if it's just overexposure. But honestly for me I it's just that we've been taking a little tyke. My son is 4.5 and taking a little one is a lot of work!

When we started going years ago my daughter, now an adult, was eight and easygoing. But a 4yo can take you out of the magic really fast with a tantrum or crankiness or stubbornness or refusing to ride a ride he loved the day before. While in many ways it enhances the trip (watching his response to any number of magical moments), it definitely makes it more like work and thus less a complete break from reality for me.

texas211
06-05-2015, 08:39 PM
The FP+ system. I had a change in my work schedule, and the wife and I thought we'd head down to WDW this week for a short 5 day visit. But after remembering the FP+ an how its changed the system and approach to the park visit, decided to pass. We almost decided on an all Universal/Sea World trip. A lot of the changes have made us spend less money w/ Disney. The worsening bus system, leads us offsite more. DTD cluser fuss, makes us avoid it altogether. We usually drop a few bucks at the Christmas and the Art store.

DadTriton
06-07-2015, 11:02 PM
This year (Nov) will be the last with all my "kids" - the oldest is a senior in high school next year. I fear it will be my breaking point until I get grand children. :confused:

azcavalier
06-08-2015, 01:39 PM
This year (Nov) will be the last with all my "kids" - the oldest is a senior in high school next year. I fear it will be my breaking point until I get grand children. :confused:

Doesn't have to be. This year, my oldest graduated. But my 15 year old and 10 year old still want to come. I'm sure we'll come back, year after year.

Stu29573
06-08-2015, 02:50 PM

We took two "Parents Only" trips between the time when my daughter got married and our upcoming "With the Kids and Grandkids Trip!" It took us that long to get grandkids. lol!

buzznwoodysmom
06-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Well I guess we have hit our breaking point. We've been at least once a year, often times more, since around 2002. As of now our last trip to Disney was November 2013.

While I miss it a lot, and think about it often, my last few trips just weren't as enjoyable as they once were. Perhaps it's become too familiar. Maybe it's because I don't vacation well with the way Disney has evolved as of late. But I know that our last two trips did not "wow" me like it used to. The kids, while I am sure they will always have a special place in their hearts for Disney, seemed kinda "over it" on those last few trips.

I am a planner by nature. However, I don't like the amount of pre planning that needs to go into a Disney vacation these days. Add that to our last few not so magical trips, and it just kinda lost it's luster....for now. I have no doubt that we will be back. Hoping to try and go next summer, as a matter of fact. Just really needed an extended break.

Instead we are trying now to focus on Disney destinations we haven't been to yet, or have not visited often. I just booked Vero Beach for later this summer (with one night in Disney World to eat at Ohana's and shop at Basin for bath bombs-lol). We are also currently booked for Disneyland this December. And I am hoping to plan Hilton Head Island next 4th of July. If we can swing it next year my mom and I may take the kids to WDW the first week they are out for summer while my hubby is away at military training. Or we may do Universal that week instead...... And we are using this time to try and see non Disney related places. With a 15 and a 13 year old we feel like time is running out on us to have different experiences with them before they are off to start their own lives.

azcavalier
06-09-2015, 10:21 AM
I have no doubt that we will be back. Hoping to try and go next summer, as a matter of fact. Just really needed an extended break.

I would argue you haven't broken yet. ;) Not if you're planning to go back.

I'm with you, which is what prompted me to start the thread. I'm feeling less excited, less "magical" with our trips. But we still have at least two planned (this fall and next fall), and by sheer coincidence i'm attending a conference at Coronado Springs in November. But after next fall, we'll see.

Terra
06-09-2015, 10:41 PM
1.) WDW closes down
2.) They stop offering pay monthly for passes [it's the only way we can do it as a lower middle class family]
3.) Jesus returns ;)

I've been going to WDW [as a Florida resident] for the last 15 years at least monthly and it has never lost it's magic.

buzznwoodysmom
06-10-2015, 11:31 AM
I would argue you haven't broken yet. ;) Not if you're planning to go back.

Well, maybe we haven't! However, to go from our trips averaging every 6-9 months for over 10 years to an almost 2 year dry spell must mean we've gotten to some point!;)

NJGIRL
06-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Same here and I think those days are pretty much done at Disney. Staying on site at Universal though would afford you that luxury ��

Its a different world out there with FP and MDM.

I so agree. Universal is a much "easier" vacation now and I love the fact that no transportation is needed to get to the parks.

Tick-Tock
06-10-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty close. Week before last we went to WDW for the first time in almost 5 years. First time with MDE and FP+. We went primarily for Star Wars weekends, and enjoyed that. But our visit to the MK was not very magical. We did a few things, but given the heat and the crowds (40 minute wait for TTA?!), we only spent a few hours there. We used our FP+ and went on a couple of other rides, but missed a lot because the lines were simply too long. I realize we were entering summer season (we usually go during school times, but this trip we went with friends who have kids), but it just didn't make me want to go back anytime soon.

I have a lot of other places to spend money going to. In the future, I'll probably plan Disney parks trip mainly based on special events like Star Wars Weekends, Food & Wine, etc. (if that).

NJGIRL
06-11-2015, 02:32 PM
we are using this time to try and see non Disney related places. With a 15 and a 13 year old we feel like time is running out on us to have different experiences with them before they are off to start their own lives.

Denise.. IMO this is so important. If you can afford to travel with the kids, it will be something they will never forget. We have traveled with my now 17 years old son, in and out of the country, since he was young. He has been able to experience so much. I think it is one of the best things we have done for him. He still talks about all of the places we have visited and the cool things he has seen. Adventures that a theme park can't give you. A lot of once in a life time trips. So if you can, take them different places in between your Disney trips. You won't be sorry.

....and No, going to EPCOT is not the same as visiting the real Italy, Canada, or Mexico ....not even close.

AgentC
06-11-2015, 08:43 PM
While I miss it a lot, and think about it often, my last few trips just weren't as enjoyable as they once were. Perhaps it's become too familiar. Maybe it's because I don't vacation well with the way Disney has evolved as of late. But I know that our last two trips did not "wow" me like it used to. The kids, while I am sure they will always have a special place in their hearts for Disney, seemed kinda "over it" on those last few trips.

I think for most people (except for the most avid) it can get too familiar. This is especially true if one of the biggest draws is the actual rides as opposed to just a love of Disney, Walt, the sense of being in another world etc. Disney changes slow and a lot of the appeal is the atmosphere more than thrilling rides. And I love the atmosphere. I can happily wander around Epcot and do absolutely nothing but those are not the visits where my kids come. And yeah when you go as much as we do, it becomes routine and sometimes we grow out of that and need a break. As kids grow older the trips change too. My kids are still only 7 and 9. My son is not a thrill ride kid at all so Disney still works for him but a lot of kids want to move up to the more exciting rides. I've found with many of my friends as the kids get into that 12-16 range, they start to prefer Universal or Busch or something similar.

Instead we are trying now to focus on Disney destinations we haven't been to yet, or have not visited often. I just booked Vero Beach for later this summer (with one night in Disney World to eat at Ohana's and shop at Basin for bath bombs-lol). We are also currently booked for Disneyland this December. And I am hoping to plan Hilton Head Island next 4th of July. If we can swing it next year my mom and I may take the kids to WDW the first week they are out for summer while my hubby is away at military training. Or we may do Universal that week instead...... And we are using this time to try and see non Disney related places. With a 15 and a 13 year old we feel like time is running out on us to have different experiences with them before they are off to start their own lives.

I think you have a great plan. I love Vero. It still has that Disney atmosphere but is totally different than a park visit and Disnelyland is a a great experience. And different is good. For the last 7 years we usually do day trips plus stay at WDW 3-5 times a year. The last year or so I have started to try to mix it up. There are so many great places to visit. I don't think letting Disney be for awhile has to mean that you are at a "breaking point" as much as it means it is time to explorer something else.

buzznwoodysmom
06-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Denise.. IMO this is so important. If you can afford to travel with the kids, it will be something they will never forget. We have traveled with my now 17 years old son, in and out of the country, since he was young. He has been able to experience so much. I think it is one of the best things we have done for him. He still talks about all of the places we have visited and the cool things he has seen. Adventures that a theme park can't give you. A lot of once in a life time trips. So if you can, take them different places in between your Disney trips. You won't be sorry.

....and No, going to EPCOT is not the same as visiting the real Italy, Canada, or Mexico ....not even close.

Rita, I agree with everything you said! My kids have not traveled outside the country yet, but they have been to well over half of the US states. Some states, multiple cities/destinations. Travel has always been a part of their lives. And while Disney has been great, we have some pretty amazing memories from those trips, the rest of the country has some petty amazing places to see as well!

NJGIRL
06-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Rita, I agree with everything you said! My kids have not traveled outside the country yet, but they have been to well over half of the US states. Some states, multiple cities/destinations. Travel has always been a part of their lives. And while Disney has been great, we have some pretty amazing memories from those trips, the rest of the country has some petty amazing places to see as well!

That's great! We have so much to see in this country. I'm sure your boys love it too!

Cinderelley
06-12-2015, 08:50 AM
My kids are grown now, and it is very easy for me to see a difference in their world view from travelling as opposed to their friends who have never been out of our home city. Even when they were in school, I think they connected more with things in their history class that they have seen instead of just hearing the stories - the hole at Ground Zero, the Liberty Bell, Carpenter's Hall, underwater Icebergs,, etc.

We loved our Disney trips, but there is more to life than just Disney.

azcavalier
06-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Our older kids (now 18 & 15) have been to about half of the states, but never out of the country. My oldest is now getting ready to go on a mission, and he could go almost anywhere in the world. I'm really, really hoping that he gets sent to a foreign country, but he could just as easily get sent to Cleveland.

In a few years, my brother hopes to go on sabbatical to Bern, Switzerland. If he does, man, we're going to go visit for a few weeks.

Hammer
06-12-2015, 11:33 AM
My kids are grown now, and it is very easy for me to see a difference in their world view from travelling as opposed to their friends who have never been out of our home city. Even when they were in school, I think they connected more with things in their history class that they have seen instead of just hearing the stories - the hole at Ground Zero, the Liberty Bell, Carpenter's Hall, underwater Icebergs,, etc.

We loved our Disney trips, but there is more to life than just Disney.
That was how we were raised as well. I have lived in 5 different states and have visited over 30 other states, as well as various Canadian cities and Paris, France. This has never stopped us from loving our trips to Disney, but it is balanced with trips to other places. I will continue to do it that way as I am fortunate to have the resources to do that.

While I agree that Epcot is not the same as visiting any of the actual countries, it does provides you with a place to fondly remember your visits to those countries. So, we are going to eat in France our first night this upcoming Food and Wine trip to reminisce about our trip to Paris last year by eating in a restaurant in the France pavilion. Having eaten at bistros and higher end restaurants in Paris and Reims, I can say the menu at both of the France sit down restaurants is a good representation of menus over there.

Terra
06-12-2015, 04:40 PM
That was how we were raised as well. I have lived in 5 different states and have visited over 30 other states, as well as various Canadian cities and Paris, France. This has never stopped us from loving our trips to Disney, but it is balanced with trips to other places. I will continue to do it that way as I am fortunate to have the resources to do that.

While I agree that Epcot is not the same as visiting any of the actual countries, it does provides you with a place to fondly remember your visits to those countries. So, we are going to eat in France our first night this upcoming Food and Wine trip to reminisce about our trip to Paris last year by eating in a restaurant in the France pavilion. Having eaten at bistros and higher end restaurants in Paris and Reims, I can say the menu at both of the France sit down restaurants is a good representation of menus over there.

I like what you said about EPCOT :)
I do agree that EPCOT isn't a substitute for the real thing but it can be a great spring board to teach and introduce children to other cultures.
I know for us personally we do not have the resources to travel much, especially out of country. And I'm okay with that.
The good news is even if people do not leave their 'own back yard', they can still be aware of the bigger world and the various cultures and diversity. I always strive to teach my children about the bigger world.

Since we live so close to Disney we do go a lot, thanks to the payment plan. I use it [EPCOT] as an opportunity for my sons. We talk to cast members in each country about where they live and what it's like. We do the passport book quit a bit. We look things up at home. We often pick a foreign place and learn about it, have some type of food that they eat there, listen to the traditional music of that place, etc.

My sons love that. They love learning. And in some ways, they know more about other countries than some of their peer at school because we take the time to arm chair travel.
So even though we do love Disney and go on many day trips, and we have not travel outside of the USA, doesn't mean we don't know less or not as exposed :)

WiltonJohn
06-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Similarly, I can say that the Japan area does a pretty good job on capturing numerous aspects of being in Japan, a place I have spent over 2 years living in. It is also fun to be able to switch to using Japanese language a bit without the 13 hour flight and jet lag :).

If you want closer to more authentic Japanese as far as the food goes..... eat at Tokyo Dining... not Teppan Edo (which is a creation for Westerners -like Benihana- and is a corruption of some of the actual Japanese "cook at your table" kind of traditions like okonomiyaki places). Try the flights of sake they have ('sake' is actually more often called "Nihonshu" in Japanese).

best,

..................john

Terra
06-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Similarly, I can say that the Japan area does a pretty good job on capturing numerous aspects of being in Japan, a place I have spent over 2 years living in. It is also fun to be able to switch to using Japanese language a bit without the 13 hour flight and jet lag :).

If you want closer to more authentic Japanese as far as the food goes..... eat at Tokyo Dining... not Teppan Edo (which is a creation for Westerners -like Benihana- and is a corruption of some of the actual Japanese "cook at your table" kind of traditions like okonomiyaki places). Try the flights of sake they have ('sake' is actually more often called "Nihonshu" in Japanese).

best,

..................john

Thanks for the info. We've always eaten in Teppan just because we like it [though we know it is heavily Westernized]. Sometime this summer I think I'll go over for lunch and try TD!

RunDMV
06-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Similarly, I can say that the Japan area does a pretty good job on capturing numerous aspects of being in Japan

Especially all the souvenirs that say "made in china" on the bottom.

WiltonJohn
06-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Especially all the souvenirs that say "made in china" on the bottom.

Well then.... maybe you wouldn't buy them and would look for the more authentic stuff... which IS there, huh?

And you can find EXACTLY that same kind of Chinese import stuff IN Japan... so that is absolutely authentic. 同じです。

Just like Teppan Edo... some stuff is not very 'Japanese'.

best,

..................john

javamama
06-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Breaking point😯

We shall see if our family has one....
We are in the sunshine state as we speak, and DH had me book a night for tomorrow. This is after we spent two nights/three days at universals portifino resort. He didn't get the feeling he gets from WDW. So we're surprising the kids!
We're staying at a resort we've yet to stay at, and going when it's crazy hot and busy. We usually go in early May or mid October, so we're spoiled!

Currently I'm not a fan of FP+ at all it takes away from your visit to a park.....your booking a seat on a ride or show....like booking a flight!

ADRs are crazy too these days, some days we like to go with the flow, walk up and eat. Last week we did that at DTD, it was great in we went to BoatHouse(new seafood place). We had a great night!

I feel like a travel agent lately, I'm booking everything...I thought vacations were supposed to be relaxing...not so preplanned!
Oh well my DH loves it, our kids do as well, and I do too,...so we go and make more memories😊. Good with the not so good

danheaton
06-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Not sure I'll have a full breaking point, but I'm not thrilled with a lot of what Disney has been doing lately. This is especially true at EPCOT and with FP+.

I'm more likely to diversify the trips, even those to Florida. We'll still visit Disney but may spend fewer days there, go to other parks, and visit the beach. At some point, even if we have the money, the price just becomes too high to spend all week there (or more).

I also agree with the others who've talked about the importance of going to a variety of places on their trips with kids.

waymickey
06-20-2015, 10:24 AM
I just bought tickets for the parks and for the first time in over 25 years we did not get length of stay tickets. We got just a a 4 day pass and will use the rest of the vacation to go other places in Florida.
I hit my breaking point when I realized I missed the 60 day window. Now i feel like the ship left the port and i am hanging on to the anchor. I just am not the type of person that wants to book a ride 2 months out. I like being able to go with the flow on vacation. I make one ADR a vacation and the rest I just wing.
:yeti:Spontaneity rules over planning drools!

Cinderelley
06-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Cinderelley,

From one past experience, I can likely tell you that if you take section #3 of your last posting there, clean it up into paragraphs and add an intro and a conclusion... and send that off to Disney Guest Services ........ something WILL get done to 'make that right'.

It certainly does not fix the moment....... but in my experience when something like this happens... and they learn about it...... they DO care.

best,

................john

I think I have reached the point where I can probably sit down and write a coherent letter about this experience. I was just too upset about it before. I don't think they can "make it right" but perhaps it will help others in the future. Do you think it is too late?

WiltonJohn
06-20-2015, 12:40 PM
No... not at all too late.

I have found them very responsive. Can't hurt anything.... could only help yourself or others or both.

best,

.............john

TikiLounger
06-22-2015, 11:04 AM
A while back, I posted in this thread that my kids and I have not reached our Disney Breaking Point but that my husband, most likely, has. Well? I'm pleased (and surprised) to report that yesterday, my husband shocked us all by saying that he'd like me to plan a visit for this November! I was on the phone to a booking agent within seconds of his proclamation! haha! So? we're booked at The Wilderness Lodge for a week in early November! Exciting! :cloud9::cap::pine:

lawgirl
06-24-2015, 06:52 PM
I think I have reached the point where I can probably sit down and write a coherent letter about this experience. I was just too upset about it before. I don't think they can "make it right" but perhaps it will help others in the future. Do you think it is too late?

It's never too late. I would encourage you to write everything in detail and send it now. Disney needs to hear about your experience. In my experience, they have always done something to try and make it right. Do you happen to remember her name? It always helps to include all the details you can remember. And try to be organized and polite.

Good luck, and I hope they respond! Your experience sounds terrible, and definitely needs to be addressed.