PDA

View Full Version : Call the Midwife: Series 4

BriarRose0708
05-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Anyone watching Call the Midwife this season? I no longer have tv at my house so I've been catching up online the last couple days. I've watched since the first season and I was afraid I'd miss Jenny's character and not enjoy the show as much. Not so! It's just as heart-warming and heart-wrenching an emotional roller coaster as it ever was, and I am glad that they are really pushing the characters to leave their comfort zones and address critical public health issues that were (at the time in the early 60's) controversial but still resonates in present times. I've especially enjoyed following Patsy's character development, particularly in the most recent ep I watched that dealt directly with homophobia. Her identity been hinted at last season but it's really been at the forefront of her character the first three episodes. I am interested in seeing where her character goes from here and the actress is performing the heck out of it!

I do miss the original core midwives - Jenny, Cynthia, Trixie (she's still there though) and Chummy. I know Cynthia enters the sisterhood and Chummy's been "in the country" with her son and makes cameos in some episodes, but it does seem like there was more chemistry among them than the current nurses.

Anyhow, I am obviously still loving the show but I need to try and stop watching an episode on my lunch - I end up in tears every time!

Melanie
05-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Still watching, still enjoying. I do miss the originals, but this season has still been very entertaining.

IloveJack
05-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Waiting for it to come to Netflix!

BriarRose0708
05-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Waiting for it to come to Netflix!

If you don't want to wait, all the current season's episodes are available to watch for free on PBS.org. Or, if you have an AppleTV the PBS channel has them as well and you don't need a cable provider to view, just activate it on your computer.

IloveJack
05-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Awesome! I'll definitely catch up now rather than later! Thanks for the info.

MNNHFLTX
05-11-2015, 10:35 PM
I've watched through the end of the season and am sad that it's over until next year. I do miss Jenny, but like the addition of Nurse Clark, Barbara and Patsy, and am really glad that Cynthia is back--she has such a kind heart. Love that Shelagh has put on a nurses uniform too.

The second-to-last episode interactions with Sisters Evangelina and Monica Joan really touched my heart. Those actresses are phenomenal.