PDA

View Full Version : Trattoria Al Forno Dining Review (with notes on Gluten-free offerings)

azcavalier
05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Our last meal at WDW this weekend was a Sunday dinner at Trattoria Al Forno on the Boardwalk. Thoughts below.

Ambiance - we loved the interior of this restaurant. We loved the pressed tin ceiling tiles and the open kitchen. It was very spacious.

Service - Our server was very good, very nice and knowledgeable, and very professional. She was quick and attentive with drink refills (which I value highly).

Food - To start, my DW ordered the Grilled Treviso with gorgonzola dolce and pistachio gremolata. If you're unfamiliar, Treviso is a lettuce that is a little more like cabbage, but not as bitter. And since they grill it, it's warm. This was a recommendation of the server. It was very good, but different. I had the Caprese Salad (which I always love). Fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinegar, ripe tomatoes....just the best stuff on a warm day.

For our entrees, my wife ordered the gluten-free pasta w/ green beans, roasted potatoes, and Genovese pesto. She had never had potatoes and pasta together, but she loves pesto. This was very well done. We asked for the pesto recipe, and our server took our information and also gave us the business card of the sous chef, just in case it didn't come in our email in the next two weeks. She liked it, but didn't think it was "roll your eyes back into your head" good.

I had the Polpetta Gigante, which is a giant meatball with ricotta cannelloni and marinara. Very cheese, very good. They put spinach and red pepper flakes in the meatball, which makes it spicy. Yes....that's a spicy meatball! I thought this was a very tasty and filling dish. I would readily order it again.

We decided against dessert because we were going to try to hit the little stand on the Boardwalk that says it sells fried ice cream. But our server brought us a free dessert because of our Anniversary buttons. She gave us each a small bowl of vanilla gelato with the same "Happy Anniversary" chocolate that we received at Narcoosee's. We ate it, and then later tried to get fried ice cream, but the stand never opened...even well after the posted opening time on it. Oh well...

We liked Trattoria, but also put this in the "Been There, Done That" category. It was good Italian. But it didn't stand out.