PDA

View Full Version : The Plaza Review (with notes on Gluten-free options)

azcavalier
05-05-2015, 02:20 PM
On Saturday, my DW and I had lunch at The Plaza in the Magic Kingdom. This was our first time there. Here are our thoughts.

Ambiance - Just what you would expect by looking at this restaurant. It's not very big, and it very much feels at home on Main Street. It just screams "Americana".

Service - Our service was excellent. We had a good server, who happened to be from a town close to where my wife and I attended college. She had the chef come out to address my wife's gluten intolerance. When she told him she was going to "just have a salad", Chef Ken said, "Oh no. We're gonna get you away from salads. You order what you want, and i'll make it taste GOOD. The way I prepare gluten-free bread, it'll taste like REAL bread." So he went ahead and took our orders. Then, five minutes later, he came out with a plate of gluten-free bread, grilled and cut into bite-sized pieces for us to try. It was actually really good.

What he does is he first microwaves the buns for 30 seconds (they usually start frozen, and most gluten-free baked goods do), and then puts them on a place with olive oil. He lets the buns soak up the oil, and then grills them for a few minutes. That gives them good texture, while getting rid of the sogginess of the microwave reheating.

Food - My wife ordered the Brisket Onion Burger with gluten-free buns. I ordered the Plaza Club sandwich. We both got fries. The brisket on the burger was delicious. Super tender and flavorful, and juicy. It was a ton of food for her, but she ate like a champ and got through 3/4th of the burger. My club sandwich was perfect. Not too much meat, and the lettuce/tomato were very refreshing on it.

There was no way we could do dessert, so we finished with just our main course.

Overall, we really liked this place, and the Chef was very good. We would totally go back here for a meal. Or maybe just Banana Splits (man those looked good).

DANAM
05-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Awesome review. Thanks

disneymom15
05-05-2015, 04:38 PM
It's one of my favorite places to eat at MK.

Checkers
05-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the review, one of our favorites, too. My daughter is gluten-free so this is good to know.

Mickey'sGirl
05-05-2015, 09:13 PM
The Plaza Club is my favourite! I'm glad your wife had such a great experience!

#1donaldfan
05-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the review. After going to Disney for so many years we finally found the Plaza. Actually, I thought it was a part of the ice cream shop and never gave it a thought, till this past February and what an awesome meal we had. It's now gonna be one of our must do's. PS. We split a sundae, we had too !!! :mickey: