PDA

View Full Version : Is a touring plan necessary at DL/CA?

rjmdds
04-28-2015, 05:25 PM
We are seasoned WDW vets making our first trip to DL/CA in late August. We will be staying at the GC and spending 4 to 5 days in the parks. I am accustomed to navigating the FL parks with ease, knowing how and when to hit what parks/attractions. I go in with a general plan but allow plenty of room for deviations. Due to my unfamiliarity with DL/CA and its relative size, I don't know if a "plan" is necessary. I know Carsland must be FP'd early, but other than that, I am not sure there is much "planning" to do.

Am I underestimating these parks or do I just go in and play it by ear?

BrerGnat
04-28-2015, 06:06 PM
As long as you get Radiator Springs FP taken care of immediately, the rest of the park (DCA) can be just done in a wandering fashion. If you want to see World of Color, you will need a FP for that as well so get that early (those FP are not connected to the system so you can have it while also having other FPs.) The only other thing that requires some pre planning in there is the Aladdin show, as it runs at specific times.

As for DL, that requires a bit more strategy although 4-5 days means you can take your time rather than cramming. Peter Pan is a must do, no FP, and has long lines all day. I would recommend making that your first stop, just to get it out of the way. I would then recommend going to Adventure land and working the park clock wise from there. The next day you go to DL, start in Tomorrowland and work counter clockwise, just to change it up.

I do highly recommend hopping back and forth once you have spent a full day on each park. You can hold FP in both parks simultaneously so take advantage of the close proximity to do that.

At DLR, many rides have single rider so take advantage! Here are the rides that have it: Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain, CA Screamin, Toy Story Midway Mania, Goofy's Sky School, Soarin over California, Radiator Springs Racers.

rjmdds
04-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Thanks! That is just the type of info I was looking for. I appreciate it!

BrerGnat
04-28-2015, 06:33 PM
You're welcome! If you have any other questions please ask!

tinkwest
04-29-2015, 10:02 AM
DLR is absolutely more of a wander and discover atmosphere. I like to make my own plan of which entertainment I want to enjoy (fireworks, scheduled shows, and the like) and work around that. Although a tour to familiarize yourself with the parks is not necessary, if you are interested in historical information I would recommend the Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps tour.

BTW, single rider is no longer available on Toy Story Midway Mania.

Mackflava99
05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
We are going in August too (16th) and I was just about to post the same question- thanks for beating me to it :)