PDA

View Full Version : No Parks this Trip...Just resort and ???

lawgirl
04-28-2015, 11:12 AM
We have a couple of WDW trips lined up, and are planning on no parks this time. Our preschool age kids are happy riding the bus around and exploring the different playgrounds at this point, and consider the AKL to be about the same as AK...so no parks. We're going in Oct for the Halloween party. But this time we just want to enjoy the beach and pool at the CBR, and also generally just exploring (i.e. riding the monorail, finding fun playgrounds, taking our time, etc.)

What are some of your favorite "non-park" things to do while at WDW? I'm most looking forward to playing at the pool, but also visiting AKL and GF, and maybe WL.

minnie04
04-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a great time. I have started doing this too just going to different resorts to check them out and hang out. With small children I would definitely go to AOA they will love the pool there and the theme is awesome for little ones too. :mickey:

PlutoToo
04-28-2015, 11:38 AM
FW campground has a sing-a-long and movie at night. When I went Chip and Dale came. There is/was pony rides there.

azcavalier
04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Obviously Downtown Disney can be a huge part of this. Not just the shopping, either. The movie theater with restaurant is a different experience. Also, my youngest LOVES the Dockside Dance Party. One of the DJs (different depending on the night) is really interactive and gets people up and doing things, including a few contests like a huge Simon Says contest (which I WON last time). There's also the water play area at DTD.

I'm going to a conference at Coronado Springs in November, and since i'll be busy every day until 6pm, it doesn't make sense to spend $$$ on park tickets. So i'll be doing things like that...checking out resorts, going to DTD. I'm thinking about playing a round of golf the last day after the conference ends, and maybe going to see La Nouba one evening (which i've never done). I'm really looking forward to it!

Tick-Tock
04-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Riverside and FQ have some activities that your kids might like (fishing, bike rentals) and you could take the boat between the resorts and DTD.

We enjoyed renting small boats from WL and cruising the lagoon. WL has a geyser too.

MyDisneyworld
04-28-2015, 04:59 PM
We just did this in January and went to different resorts to explore. Rode the monorail through Epcot. And went to downtown Disney. So many things to do i'm sure whatever you choose will be a great adventure with lots of memories.
Enjoy

faline
04-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Canoe the canals at Fort Wilderness.
Go to the movies at Downtown Disney.
Each resort typically has activities for kids - check out the agenda to see what's going on
Find a viewing location for fireworks such as the 4th floor at the Contemporary.

TheVBs
04-29-2015, 07:34 AM
The mini golf courses are a lot of fun!

azcavalier
04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Oooh! And don't forget the nighttime street performers on the Boardwalk.

bunch
04-29-2015, 12:20 PM
On our recent trip, we took the Monorail to the Polynesian resort,explored it, grabbed a pineapple soft serve, headed to the beach area and spent over an hour under a palm tree with our toes in the sand.......it was really nice. :thumbsup:

MizMissy
04-29-2015, 02:00 PM
There are also carriage rides and pony rides at FW. I think it is near Pioneer Hall.

BigRedDad
04-29-2015, 07:47 PM
There are many things to do at the different resorts. AKL has the bead activities kids can earn. POR has Yeehaw Bob. Fun night to enjoy earlier on with little kids. BW has the entertainers out at night that are always fun to see. DTD has different things going on. FW has the campfire with Chip and Dale and a movie.

There is so much to do that doesn't involve the parks.

Maddie
04-30-2015, 08:49 AM
You can always watch Wishes! from the beach at the Polynesian! It is a wonderful atmosphere and an amazing view.

We spend a lot of our time hotel hopping as well. Not that we don't love the parks but the atmosphere at the hotels is just as magical.

The boardwalk offers a little extra space to walk around or eat. They sometimes have entertainers as well. If you stick around you can see Illuminations.

We have done little things such as mini golf outside of the Swan/Dolphin when looking to kill time before a Dinner reservation. It is something different but still very "Disney."

Katzateer
04-30-2015, 11:48 AM
So much to do......if you go to Ft. wilderness they have farm animals and the horse barn. I have a great picture of our youngest with a huge fluffy chicken. Her sister who was around 8 at the time watched in horror as our 4 year old scooped the chicken up and proudly held it ( the cast member said it was ok to gently pick it up).

We like to ride boats and a nice boat ride is from Riverside to DTD. You get to see a lot and it is a very relaxing ride.Also the ride from MK to Wilderness Lodge is nice, especially at sunset.