PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

lizerbug
04-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone. I would like to run something by you Intercot residents and hopefully get some feedback. I am planning a trip with my boyfriend and his teenage daughters in 2017. This will be the year I turn 50 (I don't feel it one bit) and this trip will be a celebration trip to my favorite place :birthday:

Well the problem is that he says that his daughters can't miss school for the trip. The oldest will be in college by then and probably won't be able to go anyway and the youngest will be a senior in high school. I want to go in October some time and go to MNSSHP :pumpkin:. It will be warm and we will be able to ride the water rides and can wear my summer clothes (we live in the Pacific NW and I always feel COLD). He wants to go In December when they are on their break from school. Weather is hit and miss, the parks close early, it's more expensive and it's more crowded. I find myself getting bummed. I love my WDW trips and I love the planning. I am not excited about going anymore. I was hoping all of the people out there who have gone in December can tell me the great things about it and let me know how wonderful it is so I can get my Disney spirit back :pixie: Thank you!!!

BrerGnat
04-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I LOVED our December trip! Honestly, it might be my all time favorite one. Have an open mind. Weather will be nice. It may be a bit chilly but it could also be HOT. Florida winters are a bit unpredictable. Crowds will grow as Christmas nears, so if you can go the days leading up to the 25th for the majority of your trip, that will be good. When we were there we went the 15-22 and it was wonderful!

I agree with you BF...a high school senior cannot miss school! The college kid will likely be out much earlier in December for break, so may be able to join you. College breaks tend to be long...like a month in the winter. If the HS kid absolutely must go, and you cannot go in October as you wanted, December is a great option.

disneymom15
04-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Agree with Natalie, we love December also. We've gone any times in Dec and it's one of our favorite times to go.

VacationDisney
04-27-2015, 03:07 PM
We have been to WDW 5 or 6 times in December. The weather can be all over the place so keep that in mind and be prepared to dress in layers. One trip we arrived and it was 85 degrees. Temps went down everyday. The last day we were there the high was 55.

Crowds ......plan ahead. It can be done.

We LOVE going in December. The parks seem all that more magical:mickey:

faline
04-27-2015, 06:30 PM
December is definitely a different trip. You could have lovely, warm days and be able to visit the pool BUT you should also be prepared to have chilly weather of the sort that will likely keep you away from the pool. On the other hand, the holiday decorations are just wonderful. If you decide to go in December, please open yourself up to a new experience - if you have a completely different experience set in your mind than the one you get - you are not likely to enoy it!!

j2k
04-28-2015, 09:00 AM
I've always wanted to go in December. I agree that the kids shouldn't miss a week of school. If they end up missing a day it might not be a problem unless it was midterms or something like that.

We are also planning to go in 2017.... Seems so long though :(

lizerbug
04-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Thank you all for the advice so far. That's why I love the Disboard :mickey:

etibbetts
04-28-2015, 12:19 PM
I've always been a big fan of going in September when it's warmer. However, one year we went right after Thanksgiving (late Nov/early Dec). I loved it, it was an entirely new perspective. I'm from the Northeast and at that time of the year it is cold and snowy at home, so going to Disney was perfect. I still wore my shorts, some days I did need a light sweater. We still went swimming. If you are use to cold weather at home, disney will feel warm! If your trip dates fall when the Christmas Party is going on, that is something cool you could check out. I say give it a chance and go!

Snow's Mom
04-28-2015, 08:53 PM
December gets busier and busier as it gets closer to Christmas, but colleges usually get out pretty early. We went once from the 2nd-9th, the weather was in the low 80's, crowds were not bad. Decorations----worth it!

I would love to go in October when it's not so HOT. I'm a teacher, so we usually go in the summer time. Talk about crowds! I guess I'd look at it as "family time" being the most important factor.

My daughter just went without me, school music trip. Beautiful temps, low crowds...yeah, I'm jealous.:sadwave:

TheVBs
04-29-2015, 07:25 AM
We had a brief visit right after Thanksgiving one year and really enjoyed ourselves. We happened to catch some very chilly weather, so we weren't really able to enjoy the pool much, but we loved the holiday party! :mickey:

Maddie
04-30-2015, 08:59 AM
We have been in December many times and let me tell you Disney is DISNEY. Regardless you are in WDW and it is fun. Also, you will be able to attend MVMCP if you are looking for a special event. They still have some very cool characters out and about! I am excited about going to Disney any time of the year. Yes, it will be colder and possible "cold." But, it is still DISNEY! You just spend more time on inside rides and inside at dining! :beer::marg: