PDA

View Full Version : Booked First Cruise Ever!

DisneyOtaku
04-26-2015, 09:00 AM
I just booked a 4-day cruise on the Disney Dream this upcoming January for my honeymoon!!! :cloud9:

I do have one concern though. My fiance is mobility impaired. He's not confined to a wheel chair, but can only walk small distances. We are planning on renting a wheelchair for the cruise, but I am worried about the theaters. I called the cruise line yesterday, and while they said there were spots to park wheelchairs there, he wasn't able to see anything about the live-action theater. My fiance is also a larger man, who has a bad hip due to a drunk driver hitting him when he was just 16, so just moving to a smaller seat (if the arm rests don't go up) isn't always an option.

Has anyone who traveled on the Dream familiar with disability spots or accommodations?

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Enjoy your cruise! We just booked our second one, and are really looking forward to it.

I don't have a lot of details, but I wanted to assure you that there ARE wheelchair spots in both the movie theatre and the live theatre. I've read that some require crew assistance to access, and other are just "roll up", but they are there, no worries at all.

The ships are quite accessible, did you book a regular stateroom, or an accessible one?

BrerGnat
04-26-2015, 06:20 PM
There are seats in the back of the main theater, with actually very good views. They are in sets of two, with large spaces on either side to accommodate wheelchairs (so your companions can sit with you). You should plan to arrive very early in order to get one of those seats.

Also, I will say that the dining room walkways (between tables) are VERY narrow. You will definitely want to mention the wheelchair on your reservation and make sure you are assigned a table at the perimeter of the restaurant near the entrance. You can also plan to park the wheelchair outside the restaurant and walk to the table which might be easier.

Christine
04-26-2015, 08:39 PM
There were a lot of passengers with mobility issues on our last cruise this month (on the Dream). I think DCL is very prepared and your fiancé will be well appointed.
Have a wonderful cruise! There's nothing like it!!!

DisneyOtaku
04-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks everyone! I certainly will mention it on our dining reservations. And we are the kind of people who like to show up early for appointments anyway :)