PDA

View Full Version : Florida - acute long term care facilities

Jeri Lynn
04-24-2015, 04:07 PM
hi everyone,
I'm looking for anyone in the Tampa Florida area that could possibly give recommendations on acute care facilities. My Mom had surgery almost four weeks ago and is in VASCULAR ICU at Tampa General. She will be transferred to an acute long term rehab in the future. She needs an acute rehab as she is still on a ventilator and they are trying their hardest to wean her off if it. I live in MA so I Am not familiar with what is offered. The case worker has given my father names and suggestions but some of the facilities do not have the best reviews. It's not easy being in MA with my parents in Florida. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. My parents live in Lithia. Tampa is about a 40 mile ride for my Dad. TIA.

MNNHFLTX
04-24-2015, 05:46 PM
I am not familiar with the LTAC's in the Tampa area (or between Lithia and Tampa), but the best thing would be for you and your dad to narrow down the list to a few and then he can visit them. Seeing the facilities and talking with administrators there he would get a sense of the quality of care offered. He should pay special attention to what he sees around him as well as what is said. Is it bright and clean, especially the bathrooms and food preparation areas? Does he see staff actively engaged with the patients--physical and occupational therapy, nurses, nursing assistants? Does he observe staff washing their hands before and after patient contact?

Questions to ask: What is the nurse to patient ratio (ask specifically about ventilator patients). Is there a rapid response team available to provide emergent care, if needed? How often do the patients get physical therapy?What is the daily routine on the unit? Are family members encouraged to be actively involved in caring for their loved ones and in planning their care?

As far as the reviews online, definitely read them. If there are just a few negative reviews but most are at least moderately positive, that would probably be a good indicator of satisfaction of the care provided.

Once upon a time, nurses and social workers at hospitals would give personal recommendations and preferences for rehab centers, skilled nursing facilities, etc (and believe me, nurses definitely have opinions about what are the best centers). But hospital ethics no longer allow that, so the best thing to do is visit the facility.

Hammer
04-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Beth has given you some excellent information! My Mom's hospital was Tampa General when she lived in the Tampa Bay Area (she recently moved back to NJ). She had quadruple bypass surgery as well as her kidney transplant there. She would go to To the rehab center at Tampa General. She had therapy 5 days a week (both physical and occupational). I was pleased with the care there and they were great at keeping my sister and I informed about Mom.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about specific doctors or other facilities!