PDA

View Full Version : Boathouse? Anyone tried it yet?

azcavalier
04-21-2015, 03:37 PM
My DW and I are headed down on May 1st. We're staying at a DTD area hotel. No dining plan. Just a quick three day trip. We have ADRs for Narcoosee's (late Friday), The Plaza (lunch Sat), and Trattoria Al Forno (dinner Sunday).

The idea was to go straight to DHS from the airport, then check in at the hotel in the evening (6-ish) and go to DTD and get desserts at the new Gluten-free bakery. Then drive over to the Grand Floridian and have a late dinner at Narcoosee's and watch Wishes from there.

But now we're thinking about cancelling Narcoosee's and just replacing it with the Boathouse. That way we still have a really nice dinner and we're not rushing all over the World. We can check in, walk over to DtD and enjoy it, have dinner, and then walk back to the hotel.

I know that's a long explanation. Two questions:

1. Has anyone tried it? I've read a review and it seemed like it was top-notch. We're not big on seafood, but it's also a steak place.

2. According to the Disney Dining website, it not only doesn't do the DDP (no problems), but it isn't taking reservations through Disney? Is that accurate? Does it take reservations at all? If not, what's the wait like?

disneymom15
04-21-2015, 05:01 PM
2. According to the Disney Dining website, it not only doesn't do the DDP (no problems), but it isn't taking reservations through Disney? Is that accurate? Does it take reservations at all? If not, what's the wait like?

Not taking reservations until May 15 (if I remember right)

azcavalier
04-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Not taking reservations until May 15 (if I remember right)

But they're open for business, yes? It's just a walk-up then.

Fangorn
04-21-2015, 05:14 PM
But they're open for business, yes? It's just a walk-up then.

Yes, they are open for business. I called them last week and was told they are not taking reservations until May 15. For now, it is a walk-up.

We're planning on trying them out next week (29th).

Steve

TheDuckRocks
04-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Steve, please post a review. I would love to hear what someone who is not a blogger or runs a Disney website has to say.

Fangorn
04-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Will do.

My problem is that when I look at the menu, there are too many things that appeal to me. :thumbsup: I guess that's a good problem, but I'll either not provide an adequate review or eat way too much.

Steve

azcavalier
04-22-2015, 03:47 PM
We actually decided to give it a pass for now. We've never been to Narcoosee's....we've never in all of our 15 years of going to WDW actually set foot in the Grand Floridian....and so we're excited to try it out. If the Boathouse were taking ADRs, we'd probably do it. But the uncertainty of wait times for dinner there has helped us decide to give it a pass for now.

TheDuckRocks
04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
There is a Disney food blog site that has done an in depth review of The Boathouse with tons of pictures. You might want to Google it.

Katzateer
04-23-2015, 12:11 PM
I think you will really enjoy Narcossee's. It is one of my favorites. When it s time for fireworks don't expect a view from your table. A lot of people are on the porch outside watching and the view might get blocked. Just tell your waiter and they can hold your order or dessert a few minutes so you can go outside.

Christine
04-26-2015, 08:59 PM
We are waiting to do Boathouse when they start TiW. I've heard from a friend that they have an "award winning" burger that is really good and the fish tacos are perfect. That's what we will be trying!

ThanxForNoticin
04-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Is Boathouse a brand new place, or is it replacing something at DTD? Where is it located? Sounds like a fun place we're going to try in the near future! Thanks.

Melanie
04-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Is Boathouse a brand new place, or is it replacing something at DTD? Where is it located? Sounds like a fun place we're going to try in the near future! Thanks.

It's brand new, part of the new Disney Springs. It's located in the old Pleasure Island area.

deedee73
04-27-2015, 03:25 PM
We actually decided to give it a pass for now. We've never been to Narcoosee's....we've never in all of our 15 years of going to WDW actually set foot in the Grand Floridian....and so we're excited to try it out. If the Boathouse were taking ADRs, we'd probably do it. But the uncertainty of wait times for dinner there has helped us decide to give it a pass for now.
While I think the Boathouse sounds neat, I am positive you will not be disappointed with Narcoosses. It is on our must do list for each trip. And we always schedule to be there during the Electrical Water Pageant & Wishes. The food is great & the atmosphere even better & they accept the DDP. Enjoy

azcavalier
04-27-2015, 03:49 PM
While I think the Boathouse sounds neat, I am positive you will not be disappointed with Narcoosses. It is on our must do list for each trip. And we always schedule to be there during the Electrical Water Pageant & Wishes. The food is great & the atmosphere even better & they accept the DDP. Enjoy

Thanks! I was sold when I saw shrimp & grits on the menu. That's all I need to be a happy man!

Fangorn
04-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Currently having lunch at Boathouse.

azcavalier
04-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Currently having lunch at Boathouse.

And? How was it?

Fangorn
04-29-2015, 07:06 PM
So, we had lunch at the Boathouse.

First impression - highly favorable. Atmosphere is really nice. The staff was incredibly knowledgable, efficient and friendly. A tough combination at any time, but for a place that's only been open for 2 weeks, it says a lot about their hiring and training programs.

The restaurant can accomodate over 600 people, and includes tables both indoor and outside on the water. We sat inside. Our server was amazing. First order of business - drinks. He went over the house specialty drinks and assured us many times that the bar staff "take alcohol seriously". We opted for a margharita which was big enough to share. We
were not disappointed. It was extremely well made. And on the potent side. Apparently the bar staff DOES "take alcohol seriously".

The food was just as good, if not better than, the drinks.

We werent up for a huge meal - DW had the carpaccio and I had the crab cake. We shared a side of asparagus. Everything was incredibly well-prepared and tasty. We also shared the Whiskey Caramel Cornbread cake for dessert. Possibly my new favorite dessert. It is huge, Even sharing it we had some left over. *

Did I *mention that everyone was very friendly? *One of the people that we met was the managing partner of Gibsons (the company that owns the Boathouse). He spent at least 15 minutes chatting with us about the restaurant, Disney and a lot of other totally unrelated stuff
Tomorrow (4/30) is their official media event. Over 100 media folks will be there tomorrow and I'm thinking the place will be packed once the word gets out.

Pretty sure this will quickly become a favorite spot for a lot of folks. It has a fun atmosphere, cool music, great food and really nice people. We really enjoyed it and will be going back.

Steve

Fangorn
04-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Oh, and I do have some pictures, but no way to post them here.

Steve