PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland

nicholsbears
04-18-2015, 08:23 PM
:bar::bar:
Live in NY state and am planning our "once in a lifetime" trip to Disneyland in Dec.(we are both "seniors"). If anyone has ever been...please bombard me with suggestions, tips and recommendations.
I guess they do not have the "magic bands;" does anyone know if you can make dinner reservations online?
WDW has spoiled us but figured we should see the "land" where Walt actually lived.
Thank you.:goofy:

cajunmickey
04-18-2015, 08:50 PM
We are making that trip for the first time in Sept, I am really worried I will be disappointed. Just like you we are spoiled to Disney World. But I need to see the land at least once. Can't find the information like you can about the world. It is a little harder to make plans.:mickey:

NewDVCowner
04-18-2015, 10:37 PM
There is a whole section on Disneyland on theis message board- just scroll down a little further. :)

Here are my top suggestions.

1. Get a park hopper. These two parks are just across a courtyard and it's very easy to go back and forth between them several times.
2. Dining reservations can be made 60 days out. For atmosphere I'd suggest blue bayou. I've had mixed reviews of the food, though. The food at the quick service locations is really excellent. MUCH better than disney world. The only place that I would NOT recommend is the Chinese place on pacific wharf in California adventure.
3. While you probably will want to stay on property since this is your only trip to Disneyland don't dismiss the offsite hotels. Some of them have a shorter walk to the parks than the disney hotels.

If you have any questions let me know but be sure to check out the intercot boards.

mechanic
04-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Some really great disneyland videos on youtube . My favorites are randomland, justinscarred, adam the woo, and daily woo.
I'm planning a trip in 2016. I can't imagine any disappointments, its such an historic place. Also , so much to see and do in southern cali. If a person had time a trip to san francisco to the disney family museum would be awesome.

dtootsie42
04-19-2015, 12:54 AM
We have stayed at all three of the Disneyland hotels most recently last December we stay at the Grand Californian and got an upgrade with a view looking over the park. We have also stayed at the Howard Johnson's which was really terrific.

If you are looking for places to eat we like the Carnation Cafe (we have done breakfast and lunch), we love Napa Rose but our all time favorite is Steakhouse 55 (we have done breakfast and dinner) In the downtown Disney section one of our favorite places to eat is Naples Ristorante, simply yummy.

Yes you can make advanced reservations for dining up to 60 days out.

You are going to have a blast! Like I said we went in December of 2014 and loved all the decorations and had a blast. Make sure you stop at the bakery and get a ginger bread man, simply yummy. Don't forget to see the lighting of Small World...simply will take your breath away.

Feel free to send me a private message and I will try to answer any of your questions.
Dana :mickey:
--------------------------------------------------------

Dec 1997-Contemporary
Dec 1999-Poly
Dec 2001-Poly concierge
June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2003-Poly concierge
Dec 2005-Poly concierge
Dec 2007-Poly concierge
Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2009-Poly concierge
Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
September 2012- DisneyLand Paradise Pier
January 2014-Grand Floridian
December 2014-Grand Californian

BrerGnat
04-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Reservations for restaurants really are not needed at DLR. You may want them for a Friday or Saturday night if you don't want to wait but even then you can get into most places with a short wait. The exceptions may be Blue Bayou (personally, I think it's overrated) and some of the in park restaurants at California Adventure that do the World of Color dining experiences. You will want reservations for those if you want that package. Otherwise, you will be fine just walking up or calling once you are onsite 1-2 days in advance. It's not the rat race that WDW is.

I highly recommend the Grand Californian for its proximity to the parks and central Downtown Disney location. It keeps the extra walking to a minimum.

As for the parks, old FP is still in play there. No MDE or making ride reservations necessary. Enjoy that while it lasts!

Also in December, you will be able to enjoy the holiday festivities including the parade, as a regular park guest. No Very Merry Christmas party nonsense here! It is a wonderful time to go. Don't miss the special holiday overlay at It's a Small World and Haunted Mansion.

Definitely get park hoppers. I believe all multi day tickets are hoppers anyway. You can hold fast passes in both parks simultaneously, so take advantage and hop away! I recommend 3-5 full days to take it all in and even then, don't expect to see everything. Disneyland manages to cram in more rides and attractions into the two parks than you will find in all 4 at WDW.

Overall, have fun! Don't compare (unless you come to the conclusion that DL is better!) :D. You will have a wonderful time enjoying the Original, and bonus for going during the 60th anniversary celebration. There will be even more to see!

nicholsbears
04-19-2015, 03:24 PM
:wave:
Planned on staying at a Disney hotel but heard there are non-Disney hotels with a shorter walk to the parks. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, which hotels ? Also, is entrance to the parks easily accessible ?
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips.
:balloon:

GeorgeOfTheJungle
04-19-2015, 03:46 PM
:wave:
Planned on staying at a Disney hotel but heard there are non-Disney hotels with a shorter walk to the parks. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, which hotels ? Also, is entrance to the parks easily accessible ?
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips.
:balloon:

The Howard Johnson is a great hotel, and located right outside the parks. 5 min walk at most! There's a great pool there (especially for kids) and the hotel is very clean and friendly. :mickey: It's more convenient than the Paradise Pier hotel, in my opinion.

BrerGnat
04-19-2015, 04:01 PM
The Grand Californian is the actual closest. Second place would be a 3 way tie among Best Western Park Place Inn, Tropicana Inn and Desert Inn & Suites. Fairfield Inn is also slightly closer than HoJo. This summer a new Courtyard by Marriott will be opening and it will be adjacent to the Fairfield but also slightly closer to DL main entrance. If you use Google Maps and type in Disneyland, then look to the right of the two parks, you can see Harbor Blvd. That is the main drag where all the walkable off site hotels are. If you use satellite view and zoom way in, the names of the hotels will be visible.

Honestly, though, if this is a once in a lifetime only trip, do yourself a favor and choose either the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel. You will not regret it.

Also, FYI, there is an entrance for the GC hotel right inside California Adventure so you can go back to your hotel without even leaving the park. It is awesome!

nicholsbears
04-20-2015, 11:26 AM
:goofy:
Thanks. We were considering the Disneyland Hotel with a park view (like you said; once in a lifetime). Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestion...please keep them coming. Looking forward to the Christmas decorations and the 60th Anniv. celebration.
:donald:

nicholsbears
04-25-2015, 02:54 PM
:mickey:
Does anyone know if the Disneyland hotels have the buy a souvenier mug and use it "free" for the duration of your stay program ?
Thanks.

dtootsie42
04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Just wanted to say please be sure to make adrs for your stay. We were there in December 2014 and had made adrs and was glad we did when we saw many people get angry because they did not have an adr and had to wait. When we went to Carnation Cafe the wait was up to an hour, wondering if it is going to be the same this year due to the 60th celebration.

nicholsbears
04-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the tip. It seems like everyone else on here is saying how you don't need adr's at Disneyland like you absolutely need at WDW.
Appreciate every tip.:wave:

tinkwest
04-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Does anyone know if the Disneyland hotels have the buy a souvenier mug and use it "free" for the duration of your stay program ?
Thanks.

Not at Disneyland Resort.

tinkwest
04-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the tip. It seems like everyone else on here is saying how you don't need adr's at Disneyland like you absolutely need at WDW.
Appreciate every tip.:wave:

You need to take in to consideration the time of your visit. Christmas season is the busiest and there are going to be lines and crowds everywhere - attractions, restaurants, parades, shows, bathrooms. My guess about the 60th celebration is that the beginning, especially since it feeds in to the summer season, will be fairly crowded. I'm sure things will simmer down a bit after summer, as usual. These are times when you might be better off making some reservations.

My suggestion for dining reservations during a typical visit is that if you have a restaurant you really want to visit and you don't mind locking yourself in to a time and date, go ahead and make a reservation. I never plan each and every meal. Usually just a few special meals if I am there for more than one day. If I get hungry and the restaurant I approach has a long wait it is easy to walk to another one, visit one of the many places offering counter service, or sit down, relax, and wait.

BrerGnat
04-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Thr biggest difference at DL is that restaurants will actually let you wait for a table. They won't turn yout away if you don't have an ADR. The majority of guests at DLR do NOT make ADRs. It will be like any major chain restaurant back home. If you go to the cheesecake factory at 7pm on a Saturday, you will encounter a long wait. Same at DLR.

My advice is to eat lunch at either 11am or 2pm. Eat dinner at either 5pm or 9pm. If you avoid the peak dining hours, you won't have to wait too long most places.

dtootsie42
04-26-2015, 01:08 PM
My advice is to eat lunch at either 11am or 2pm. Eat dinner at either 5pm or 9pm. If you avoid the peak dining hours, you won't have to wait too long most places.

I am not trying to cause an argument and we did not make adrs for all our meals but last year in December the crowds were crazy. Our first meal was at Carnation Cafe for 11am and I was so happy we did an adr because there was an hour wait without an adr. Could have been a fluke but December is a busy month and I just think peace of mind goes a long way.

BrerGnat
04-26-2015, 01:14 PM
I am not trying to cause an argument and we did not make adrs for all our meals but last year in December the crowds were crazy. Our first meal was at Carnation Cafe for 11am and I was so happy we did an adr because there was an hour wait without an adr. Could have been a fluke but December is a busy month and I just think peace of mind goes a long way.

Well, as mentioned December is very busy. I guess an hour wait isn't really something I think is a big deal. 45 min is the average we wait anywhere we go on a Saturday night in our local area. I was just trying to point out that even without an ADR, you can still actually eat at the restaurants, unlike at WDW where they won't even let you wait when they are booked up, and where you have t make ADRs 180 days in advance.

OP, for your information, you can make ADRs at DL at the 90 days out point, if you wish.

dtootsie42
04-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Well, as mentioned December is very busy. I guess an hour wait isn't really something I think is a big deal. 45 min is the average we wait anywhere we go on a Saturday night in our local area. I was just trying to point out that even without an ADR, you can still actually eat at the restaurants, unlike at WDW where they won't even let you wait when they are booked up, and where you have t make ADRs 180 days in advance.

OP, for your information, you can make ADRs at DL at the 90 days out point, if you wish.

Totally understand, on the weekends here the wait is usually over an hour closer to two. Just thought since the OP said this is a once in a life time trip that having adrs might be a good idea. We were really happy we did make adrs last year, something we have not done in the past (with the exception of Napa and Steakhouse), because the crowds were happily crazy. :mickey:

nicholsbears
04-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks again for all the tips...very much appreciated.
Is there a special Christmas parade like at WDW ? Anything special at night like the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party?

tinkwest
04-29-2015, 05:04 PM
No Christmas party but there is the Christmas Fantasy parade. It's been running for so long (at least 15 years) I can't even remember when it started. And I LOVE it. Some of the floats have changed, the costumes have been updated, new characters inserted, but it's has basically remained the same. And did I say I LOVE it?!

The fireworks are holiday themed and Haunted Mansion and it's a small world have their holiday overlays. The outside of small world is special too.

Over at DCA the World of Color show is revamped for the holidays.

Decorations are abundant throughout the Resort.

BrerGnat
04-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Thanks again for all the tips...very much appreciated.
Is there a special Christmas parade like at WDW ? Anything special at night like the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party?

There are no PAID separate ticket events for Christmas because they actually provide the entertainment to everyone, every day. The special holiday parade is fantastic (just try and get that song out of your head once you see it) as is the Holiday Fireworks show. They have special snacks around the parks that are holiday themed, and cookie decorating stations as well for kids (and kids at heart). Over at Big Thunder Ranch, you can see REAL reindeer and meet Santa and listen to some great live music.

nicholsbears
05-06-2015, 03:50 PM
:santa3:
Thank you so much for the info. Every little tip is appreciated. We're already thinking of Christmas at Disneyland.
What are everyone's suggestions on rides to get a FastPass for?

NewDVCowner
05-06-2015, 05:35 PM
The fastpass system at DL is the way it used to be at WDW. You don't get them a month or two in advance, you just get them when you're in the park. The fastpass systems are different for DL and DCA so you can have fastpasses at both of those parks at the same time. I heard that Toontown was separate as well, but I don't know that for sure.

Peter Pan does not have a fastpass and that one has a line that gets long fast. If that's a ride you want to go on I suggest getting there at park opening and getting in line right away.

nicholsbears
05-27-2015, 09:04 PM
does anyone know if the Park Hopper passes at Disneyland must be used on consecutive days, or if you can take a break between days.
Thanx

MNNHFLTX
05-28-2015, 05:09 PM
does anyone know if the Park Hopper passes at Disneyland must be used on consecutive days, or if you can take a break between days.
ThanxYou just need to use the passes within 13 days of the first day of use.

I hope you have a great time! It's interesting--a lot of people that are avid WDW fans end up loving Disneyland even more after their first visit. That's the way it was for me and for many of my friends. Knowing that it is the park that Walt built and the fact that you can walk from Disneyland to DCA to Downtown Disney to your resort gives it a much more intimate, homey feel. No buses to wait for (although you can still ride the monorail into Tomorrowland) and no FP+ (thank goodness!) And the holiday overlays make some of the rides very special at Christmastime.

On that note, make sure and see the holiday light show on the exterior of It's a Small World in the evenings. And if you are interested in taking any tours, the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour is amazing; during part of the tour you get to go up into the apartment over the firehouse where Walt and his family used to stay. The whole story about Walt's background and how it led to the creation of Disneyland (and therefore Disney World) is very moving. You can book that or any of the other tours 90 days in advance.

nicholsbears
06-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the tips. The Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour sounds amazing. Do you have any suggestions on the best places to view the fireworks? Every Disneyite I have talked to has said that the experience of being in the park where Walt actually walked is almost spiritual.
Thanks again.

BrerGnat
06-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. The Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour sounds amazing. Do you have any suggestions on the best places to view the fireworks? Every Disneyite I have talked to has said that the experience of being in the park where Walt actually walked is almost spiritual.
Thanks again.

The new fireworks are designed to be viewed well from all over the park! The use of projection technology on buildings in all the lands adds to the show no matter where you are. Each land has slightly different projections too, so the show changes.

I would say, for your first visit, try and view them at least once from Main Street. My favorite spot is just behind the Partners Statue, to the right towards tomorrowland. They keep a walkway open there but if you are at the front at the rope, you get a great view of the castle and Tinkerbell (and friends) flying back and forth across the sky during the show. It is also a prime spot to see the Matterhorn, which stars in the show as well. ;)

dixielandings
06-21-2015, 11:00 PM
I have been to WDW dozens of times but I would rather be at DL any day of the week and twice of Sunday. It IS magical, it IS almost spiritual for people like us to be where Walt lived and worked. You'll see much more of his presence there than at WDW, especially at the DLH, which I highly recommend. The walk to and from the Parks through Downtown was quite pleasant each morning and evening; and the Monorail platform is really close.

Yes, DO make ADRs. Why would you wait even 30 minutes if you can avoid it?

Be mindful of new rides that will be popular and have particularly long lines without FPs - Radiator Springs Racers had a consistent wait time of about 2 hours during our visits. And rides that don't have FP like Peter Pan and Matterhorn.

I think you'll really appreciate the differences between WDW and DL - please please ride the Railroad, the Autopia, small world, Pirates...so many glorious differences that make DL great!!

I could go on and on...where's our Walt emoticon??