PDA

View Full Version : Guest Treatment from Team Members - Bad Experience

LittleSpirit02
04-17-2015, 12:37 PM
So my DH and I went to Disney for a few days and the Universal/IoA for one. We found a HUGE difference in the treatment of guests from Disney to Universal parks.

For starters - I had a wallet - small wristlet that I brought on Rockin Rollercoaster, ToT and every Disney ride with no problem. In Universal, I brought it onto Escape from Gringotts (I had on a previous trip brought it and held during ride with strap around wrist with no issue). I was told my team member as she checked the harness on the ride that it was too big and must go in a pocket. I didn't have big enough pockets but I tried to put it in my short pocket and she said, "it has to go actually IN a pocket. Are you with him?" and pointed to my hubby next to me. So I handed it to my DH and he put it in his pocket. I don't mind putting it in a locker or wherever necessary but I found the treatment from team members to guests very snippy and quick. Not just to me - but guests in general.

Getting on the Dragon Game rollercoaster was like trying to get onto Air Force One. We entered the line to team members literally yelling "EVERYTHING goes in a locker. Phones, wallets, pockets COMPLETELY empty. If you don't, you'll be turned away and loose your spot in line." Now this was just at the entrance. Then we walk further up to metal detectors. I had a bracelet so I then got flagged like you would at an airport. It was very intense for a ride no different than Alpengeist in Busch Gardens. I wondered if there had been a previous incident on this ride that has caused them to create such an intense queue experience with metal detectors and all? It's the only reason I could think for the team members to be acting like that... It was bizarre.

The general atmosphere was just so different than Disney. I enjoyed the Harry Potter World/Diagon Alley experience but will stick with just Disney parks next time.

MargaretMessler
04-17-2015, 01:15 PM
I too have noticed a difference in the general demeanor of the park employees between Disney and Universal. Not necessarily rudeness exactly, but there's just something different.

It has always seemed to me that they are a little over the top on the whole what you can take on rides thing. I purposely wear clothing with deep pockets and bring very little into the Universal parks for this reason.

If not for the HP aspect, I would be skipping Universal and choosing to add SeaWorld as a side trip from Disney myself.

goofy89
04-17-2015, 01:17 PM
We had a similar experience this past October. I found it to be a hassle to constantly have to put everything in a locker. We had one particularly bad experience while getting in line for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. DH went to get in line, forgetting he had his hat on, so as we approached the entrance a team member told him he could not wear the hat, not a big deal, he took it off and put it in his cargo short pocket and the team member told him it must go in a locker. We go put it in a locker real quick and come back to the line and the team member basically accused DH of still having the hat in his pocket, which he did not, and actually reached to grab his pocket. I was shocked and DH was very annoyed to say the least. It really put us in a bad mood.

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2015, 02:08 PM
We have never encountered any extremely rude Team Members during any of our Universal trips. I would say we didn't find them to be any different than Disney CMs. Actually, and this is definitely because we've been to Disney more and have had more interactions with Disney CMs, but I can come up with more stories about less than stellar CMs at Disney than I can at Universal.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I completely understand why many of the Universal attractions don't allow carry on items. Those rides are much wilder than any of the "thrill" rides in WDW. I imagine it would be more of a pain to have to wait for them to fish a lost item out of a ride than to stow it away in a locker. I'm not sure why this would come as a surprise to most people. From our very first trip to Universal I was aware that for many of the attractions I'd have to put our things in a locker. There were no surprises there.

BrerGnat
04-17-2015, 02:21 PM
There have been a couple of incidents resulting in guest injury at Universal Orlando. One guest lost an eye on the dragon challenge ride (back before it was HP land). Another I believe suffered a very severe ankle break after a loose camera hit him on the same ride.

So, yes, there is a good reason for this locker policy.

But, I agree that it is annoying to have to always be going to the lockers and I agree that the team members at Universal are not usually very kind.

VacationDisney
04-17-2015, 02:22 PM
We were NOT impressed with Universal, when, a few years ago, we spent a day there. We actually ended our day earlier than expected ( 3 hours earlier than we planned) and headed back to WDW.

I doubt we'll ever go to Universal again. We'll keep going where the magic is:thumbsup:

goofy89
04-17-2015, 02:33 PM
There have been a couple of incidents resulting in guest injury at Universal Orlando. One guest lost an eye on the dragon challenge ride (back before it was HP land). Another I believe suffered a very severe ankle break after a loose camera hit him on the same ride.

So, yes, there is a good reason for this locker policy.

But, I agree that it is annoying to have to always be going to the lockers and I agree that the team members at Universal are not usually very kind.

I completely understand that, and while I found it to be a hassle, we did follow the rule. What I took issue with was a team member grabbing at my husband's pocket and accusing him of lying. I have never experienced anything like this while in WDW.

LittleSpirit02
04-17-2015, 03:40 PM
I completely understand that, and while I found it to be a hassle, we did follow the rule. What I took issue with was a team member grabbing at my husband's pocket and accusing him of lying. I have never experienced anything like this while in WDW.

Same - I have no problem putting away items in a locker. But the way the team members spoke (or yelled) at guests and treated guests was inexcusable and unnecessary.

joanna71985
04-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Nope, I've never had any issues at Universal

MNNHFLTX
04-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Same - I have no problem putting away items in a locker. But the way the team members spoke (or yelled) at guests and treated guests was inexcusable and unnecessary.
I agree that guests should not be subjected to that kind of treatment at UO. However, since the tightened safety measures (including the metal detectors) were put in place only recently, I wonder if some of the behavior you witnessed was a result of stressed team members trying to enforce a new and difficult (and unpopular) policy. Honestly, it has to be next to impossible to enforce, and as lines get even longer as a result, I'm sure guests start to lose their temper too. It's similar to the complaints heard about WDW cast members when Fastpass+ was first being implemented. CM's were trying to do their job and follow policy, but I'm sure it was extremely stressful and they didn't always handle things the way they should have.

My son and I were at Universal in mid-March, just before all this started and we had a great time. The Universal staff seemed very friendly and helpful to us, certainly on par with what we experienced with CM's at Disney World. If anything, they seemed a little more laid back, as in less inclined to bark orders. Of course, we didn't have the lines that I've been seeing now in the news for attractions like Dragon Challenge. We had the Express Pass too, so most of the rides were a breeze to get on. The one complaint that I would have was the lack of available lockers with Gringott's and Forbidden Journey. They should have put more in and not crammed them into tiny cramped areas. :shake:

BTW, there is a lot of talk on a Universal blog that I subscribe to that the new safety measures are partly due to the increase in selfie sticks being brought into the parks, many for the express purpose of recording footage on rides where their use would potentially be very dangerous. I think maybe the Universal PTB decided to be proactive before an accident happened.

DizneyFreak2002
04-17-2015, 07:27 PM
TMs are under stress due to this recent decision to install metal detectors at the coasters, and the rule where everything must be put in a locker...

If people didn't act like animals and throw things cause they think it is funny while on a coaster, then we wouldn't have these issues...

And, to piggyback Nat, someone's iPhone also flew out of their hands almost hitting a child in the head, and several other people, standing by the exit to Dragon Challenge...

A guest in Universal Hollywood brought a gun into the park and committed suicide by the Despicable Me attraction...

These actions are for tightened security until a better system can be developed and instituted....

So yes, the TMs are under a lot of stress and pressure...

I find the TMs in Universal to be much better than Disney's CMs lately... Last trip, I encounter a record number (in all my trips) of rude CMs while being surprised at the drastic change of the attitudes of TMs in Universal... Much better than Disney lately...

DonaldDuck1117
04-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Universal has gone nutso with the no loose articles policy. I understand not vbeing able to physically hold something in your hands while riding and I agree with that policy-most amusement parks have this rule. However, if I have cargo shorts with a pocket that buttons shut, or zips closed, why must everything come out of my pocket?! I have never experienced this policy at any other amusment park across the country and all if them have rides similar and of the same nature as Universal.

Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, Kings Doninion-all have rides that are as intense, or in a lot of cases, more intense than anything Universal has and they don't make me completely empty my pockets that fasen shut.

Metal dectors at rides? Give me a break.

BrerGnat
04-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Universal has gone nutso with the no loose articles policy. I understand not vbeing able to physically hold something in your hands while riding and I agree with that policy-most amusement parks have this rule. However, if I have cargo shorts with a pocket that buttons shut, or zips closed, why must everything come out of my pocket?! I have never experienced this policy at any other amusment park across the country and all if them have rides similar and of the same nature as Universal.

Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, Kings Doninion-all have rides that are as intense, or in a lot of cases, more intense than anything Universal has and they don't make me completely empty my pockets that fasen shut.

Metal dectors at rides? Give me a break.

I agree with you. Although to be fair, many theme parks have metal detectors at the park entrances. Six Flags does, at least. There has to be more going on that we don't know about.

NJGIRL
04-18-2015, 09:14 AM
I' m sorry but I really don't think that is a fair assessment. It is posted all over the place in both parks that you can not take anything that doesn't fit in your pocket on many attractions. We have also talked about this in detail on many, many threads on INTERCOT. To be upset that you had to follow the rules isn't fair. The rules are for safety purposes, not to get guests upset.

I personally do not see a difference in employees at either parks. I have been going to Universal since 1992 and only remember having two staff members that I thought acted totally uninterested in helping me. I just returned from Disney last week and ran into the rudest cast member at the Dinosaur ride in AK. He was so bad I almost went to guest services but didn't bother. I also had an uninterested cast member at the MK. You will run into bad employees not matter where you are and Disney and Universal are no exceptions.

goofy89
04-18-2015, 10:10 AM
I' m sorry but I really don't think that is a fair assessment. It is posted all over the place in both parks that you can not take anything that doesn't fit in your pocket on many attractions. We have also talked about this in detail on many, many threads on INTERCOT. To be upset that you had to follow the rules isn't fair. The rules are for safety purposes, not to get guests upset.

I personally do not see a difference in employees at either parks. I have been going to Universal since 1992 and only remember having two staff members that I thought acted totally uninterested in helping me. I just returned from Disney last week and ran into the rudest cast member at the Dinosaur ride in AK. He was so bad I almost went to guest services but didn't bother. I also had an uninterested cast member at the MK. You will run into bad employees not matter where you are and Disney and Universal are no exceptions.

I agree with you that bad employees can be anywhere. Fortunately in my experiences I have only faced a really over-the-top rude employee once and it happened to be at Universal. Obviously, different people will have different experiences. I am not saying that I don't think I should have to follow the rule, in fact, we did follow it and had no problem until someone went to touch my husband's pants pockets because he thought he was lying. I'm sorry but that is going too far. I'm pretty sure they should not be allowed to grab at you. I also understand that people have bad days and dealing with people can be difficult at times (I work in retail) and hopefully this was an isolated incidence. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy my time at Universal and their Harry Potter section was incredible and I am sure at some point we will go back!

LittleSpirit02
04-18-2015, 10:15 AM
Out of curiosity - Why don't they just do metal detectors going into the parks instead of just particular rides?

I'd personally rather go through the metal detector at the start where the bag checks are and know everyone has been checked for dangerous items than only people going on one or two rides. If someone is bringing something extremely dangerous in (thinking the Despicable Me case mentioned above for example), these things can then be prevented early and people may be less inclined to bring stuff in like that if it's a universal check not just for a ride here or there.

Also, then the TMs can just do friendly reminders just to put items in lockers and skip the flagging down/intensity bits to get on a ride here or there.

Lastly - Would cubbies by the ride exit not be an easy alternative as well (doesn't Kali River Rapids do this) for rides that have extreme nothing in pocket rules? I realise it could create crowding but I don't recall problems at Busch Gardens Williamsburg or other similar places that I never needed a locker for a wallet. They just had us place things by an exit or in a cubby as you get off the ride car.

BrerGnat
04-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Metal detectors at the entrance don't prevent cell phones and cameras in pockets though, at the rides, and that is the issue at hand. They are not worried about guns and knives so much as cameras and phones going flying. The new rule is nothing like that in pockets. No keys, cameras, phones, etc. Just about all you are allowed to have is money, credit cards, and chapstick.

dnickels
04-18-2015, 11:04 AM
It's not really any different than when CMs have to yell at people to not stop in walkways during parades or fireworks. They're not being rude, they just have to be forceful to get the point across but if you've ever sat and watched them doing that job there are certainly plenty of guests who think the CM is being rude to them by enforcing the rules.

And it's definitely needed at Universal, with the injuries they've had from people who lied and said they didn't have anything in their pockets that later went flying and injured guests. I'm sure every one of those people thought "Oh it can never fly out of my pocket" and sure enough, it did. The only safe and fair thing to do in that situation is to make everyone empty everything and be extra suspicious if it looks like someone has something in their pocket.

I think the quality of Team Members at Universal and quality of Cast Members at Disney is very similar and in both instances those front-line employees do a remarkable job of being polite and helpful to guests for what are basically minimum wage positions.

MNNHFLTX
04-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Metal detectors at the entrance don't prevent cell phones and cameras in pockets though, at the rides, and that is the issue at hand. They are not worried about guns and knives so much as cameras and phones going flying. The new rule is nothing like that in pockets. No keys, cameras, phones, etc. Just about all you are allowed to have is money, credit cards, and chapstick.

And in some cases, people are not being allowed to bring on even that.

It would be nice if Universal would provide more of an explanation as to why these new safety measures are being tested/implemented on rides. I think that would go a long way in ensuring rider cooperation.The more I read about this the more convinced I am that it's focused on restricting cell phone use (and selfie sticks) on rides.

Tink1
04-18-2015, 01:41 PM
my thought is:

they cannot trust that anything you have in your pockets will not be removed during the ride. Example: You go through with cell phone zipped in pocket. Ride starts, you go up the hill, take phone out to selfie the ride. Phone can then fly out of your hands.

(Look at the amount of people who cannot follow "no flash photography".)

So since people cannot be trusted to follow simple rules, stricter ones had to be put in place and enforced. Metal Detectors at the ride are part of the enforcement.

Nanc

DonaldDuck1117
04-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Except no other park (that I'm aware of) makes guests go through a pat down before getting on a ride. As many have mentioned in this thread Universal has rides that are similar in nature to six flags, Busch Gardens, or Cedar Fair. In fact, those parks have rides that are far more intense. Cedar point has a ride that launches 0-120 mph in seconds then shoots you up a 420 foot hill and they like me keep my phone or keys or whatever else I have in my pocket that latches shut.

It's overkill and ridiculous. I am all for safety. But they have taken it to the ultimate extreme. I'm seeing people being wanded like going through airport security! And I'm sure this is a stressful situation for everybody. Guests aren't happy. Teammates aren't happy. And I'm sure tempers flare often.

DizneyFreak2002
04-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Out of curiosity - Why don't they just do metal detectors going into the parks instead of just particular rides?

What will metal detectors at the entrance do for the idiots who throw things while on rides? Nothing... So maybe they stop knives or guns from entering the park... But it doesn't stop someone thinking it is funny to toss loose change at people while flipping upside down on Dragon Challenge... Or stop that idiot who needs a selfie of them on Hulk, and thei iPhone flies out of their hands hitting guests in the head, or loose items flying out of pockets and nearly hitting children... By doing what they are doing at the ride entrance, they are preventing mouth breathers from endangering other guests on the attractions...

And it's definitely needed at Universal, with the injuries they've had from people who lied and said they didn't have anything in their pockets that later went flying and injured guests. I'm sure every one of those people thought "Oh it can never fly out of my pocket" and sure enough, it did. The only safe and fair thing to do in that situation is to make everyone empty everything and be extra suspicious if it looks like someone has something in their pocket.

Exactly... People need to be protected from themselves... And Universal needs to protect themselves from morons... Just like Disney shutting down the Tigger bouncing area by the Pooh queue... It is all about safety... Oh and the fact we live in a society where the first thought in someone's mind is SUE SUE SUE not OH IS MY LITTLE ONE ALRIGHT???

And in some cases, people are not being allowed to bring on even that.

It would be nice if Universal would provide more of an explanation as to why these new safety measures are being tested/implemented on rides. I think that would go a long way in ensuring rider cooperation.The more I read about this the more convinced I am that it's focused on restricting cell phone use (and selfie sticks) on rides.

Disney never provided a reason why they shut the Tigger bounce area down... But we know why... Safety and legal's fear of a little one playing too rough, getting hurt, and parents worrying about a payday from Disney, not their little one's broken arm, so much for today's society... We also know why Universal has started using metal detectors, and maybe pat downs, in the queue for certain rides... I wouldn't ever expect them to say why they are doing it... They just are... No one forces anyone to queue up for any ride... But if you do, follow procedure...

my thought is:

they cannot trust that anything you have in your pockets will not be removed during the ride. Example: You go through with cell phone zipped in pocket. Ride starts, you go up the hill, take phone out to selfie the ride. Phone can then fly out of your hands.

So since people cannot be trusted to follow simple rules, stricter ones had to be put in place and enforced. Metal Detectors at the ride are part of the enforcement.

Nanc

Exactly... People need to be protected from themselves... Universal needs to protect themselves as well... People today are animals, ingrates, and selfish... They don't feel they need to follow rules, policies, or procedures... The entitlement attitude is crazy... People would simply lie... And the next time a guest is blinded by loose change being tossed from one of those animals on the coaster, Universal will surely have multimillion dollar lawsuits to fight...

It's overkill and ridiculous. I am all for safety. But they have taken it to the ultimate extreme. I'm seeing people being wanded like going through airport security! And I'm sure this is a stressful situation for everybody. Guests aren't happy. Teammates aren't happy. And I'm sure tempers flare often.

Is it over kill? Maybe... Not many people, even the most ardent Universal defender agrees with it... But it is an unfortunate necessity... Until legal and park management can find a better solution... Yes it adds stress to the work day for the team members... it makes it majorly annoying for guests to have to go through this... Not going to disagree... Blame the brainless, oxygen deprived guests who create situations where now people who are decent get punished... It isn't Universal's fault guests are now subjected to metal detectors... Blame the idiots whose actions led to it...

tundramom
04-18-2015, 04:18 PM
We are planning a day trip from WDW in May. I just want to make sure I have this correct- nothing in pockets- even zipped? what are their rules on glasses ( I have Rx sunglasses and literally can't see without them) is a lasso sufficient?

BrerGnat
04-19-2015, 08:43 AM
We are planning a day trip from WDW in May. I just want to make sure I have this correct- nothing in pockets- even zipped? what are their rules on glasses ( I have Rx sunglasses and literally can't see without them) is a lasso sufficient?

You cannot wear glasses on the rides like Hulk, Rip Ride Rockit, or Dueling Dragons. I really don't know how that works with people who HAVE to wear them to see? Regardless, ALL sunglasses must be removed but last time I went (last October) you were allowed to hold them in your hand. My friend accidentally forgot to leave hers in the locker and boarded dueling dragons with them. She held them in her hand. Probably won't be allowed these days.

Tink1
04-19-2015, 09:46 AM

I will be there this week. Will report back with first hand information.

Nanci

1DisneyNut
04-19-2015, 10:42 AM
my thought is:

Nanc

I agree and I have actually been saying for several years now that I wish WDW would ban cell phones and cameras from the rides. It is extremely annoying to get on a ride, in particular a dark ride, and some rude person take pictures or run their video with the light on through the ride. I wonder how many pictures/selfies there are out there with me in the background looking mad at the world.

It would suit me just fine if WDW put metal detectors at the entrance to every single ride and made you remove everything from your pockets. Is it a bit of a hassle, yes, but it would improve the ride/attraction experience by not having flashes and video lights going throughout the rides and shows.

WDW has sort of painted itself into a corner on this issue though by implementing the use of their App on smartphones. How do you curtail their use on rides by not allowing them but then at the same time try to encourage their use everywhere else?

Mickey'sGirl
04-19-2015, 12:20 PM
I agree and I have actually been saying for several years now that I wish WDW would ban cell phones and cameras from the rides. It is extremely annoying to get on a ride, in particular a dark ride, and some rude person take pictures or run their video with the light on through the ride. I wonder how many pictures/selfies there are out there with me in the background looking mad at the world.

It would suit me just fine if WDW put metal detectors at the entrance to every single ride and made you remove everything from your pockets. Is it a bit of a hassle, yes, but it would improve the ride/attraction experience by not having flashes and video lights going throughout the rides and shows.

WDW has sort of painted itself into a corner on this issue though by implementing the use of their App on smartphones. How do you curtail their use on rides by not allowing them but then at the same time try to encourage their use everywhere else?
I agree with everything you said. I especially agree that WDW has painted themselves into a corner. It will be hard to say use our app, but lock your phone away before you get in line.

On a side note, last year was the first time in over 200 days on-site that we have ever used our cellphones at the parks (in order to use the app). It honestly bugged me that we were so often looking down at our screens instead of being engaged with each other and the parks around us. We went down to a one phone family at the parks very quickly, because we wanted to use the app. the app itself was so very convenient.

DonaldDuck1117
04-19-2015, 02:46 PM
They can't force people who wear glasses to take them off-talk about safety issues! Most amusement parks require a strap to be worn on eyeglasses for the really intense rides. They hook to the end of each ear rest and strap against the back of your head abs can be bought at any drug store or target like store :thumbsup:

JRocker
04-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Despite all of the wonderful things Universal has done with their parks over the years, (and this is simply my opinion) they are still little better than a regional theme park which gets about a day and a half of my attention on our trips.

Because of my perception of the park, the employees have always lived up to my expectations: sometimes happy, sometimes fun, and sometimes just downright rude. I've witnessed rudeness, even been the target of it, but it has never been of a level that would cause me to spend my bucks elsewhere. (unlike Busch Gardens)

Of course, if one had ever gone so far as to accuse me of lying and tried to place their grubby little paws on my person, well, I would likely have a portrait hanging on the wall of "Don't let these knot-heads in the parks".

The lockers, and the stowing of personal belongings has never really bothered me either. Their rides can be intense, and it is for my safety. It can be a little inconvenient, and sometimes frustrating when the lockers don't function properly, but I get over it real quick. Again, it is all for my safety.

Maybe I will need to see it for myself next month, but this latest news has me questioning whether or not I want to.

I mean, it's one thing to post a big red and yellow sign and tell me that all contents of my pockets must be stowed (again, inconvenient, but I'll get over it). Another sign telling me eyewear must also be stowed, though I have to wonder how much I would enjoy spiderman if I can't see it... But to have me go through a check point, because as some here would insist, I am probably lying to you?

No, no. It's the "other" people who are lying...:sick:

I thoroughly enjoy our visits to Universal, almost as much as our trips to Disney. But, somewhere, there is a better way to address this issue. I am hoping they find it. Otherwise, my trips will get a few hundred bucks cheaper.

NJGIRL
04-19-2015, 08:46 PM
In the past I have witnessed many people in line for Forbidden Journey NOT following the rules and trying to bring things on the ride. Staff must then tell them that they have to get out of line and find a locker. This does not go over well with a lot of guests, especially after being in line for 30 mins. Staff may appear to be "yelling" and "too forceful" but they are just trying to get their point across to people trying to ignore the rule and sneak things on the attraction.

Now I have not been to Universal since last April and have not seen the new rules or the metal detectors. Which rides do the new rules apply to? Am I understanding this correctly....you can not have anything in your pockets at all on this attractions?

AgentC
04-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Maybe I will need to see it for myself next month, but this latest news has me questioning whether or not I want to.

I mean, it's one thing to post a big red and yellow sign and tell me that all contents of my pockets must be stowed (again, inconvenient, but I'll get over it). Another sign telling me eyewear must also be stowed, though I have to wonder how much I would enjoy spiderman if I can't see it... But to have me go through a check point, because as some here would insist, I am probably lying to you?

No, no. It's the "other" people who are lying...:sick:

I thoroughly enjoy our visits to Universal, almost as much as our trips to Disney. But, somewhere, there is a better way to address this issue. I am hoping they find it. Otherwise, my trips will get a few hundred bucks cheaper.

I think I fall into this camp. I was considering adding Universal Annual passes this years but for me having fun and going through a metal detector just don't feel like they go together.

And yes the same thing could be said about FP+, planning , crowds etc but for some reason this just bugs me more.

NJGIRL
04-20-2015, 04:11 PM
I think I fall into this camp. I was considering adding Universal Annual passes this years but for me having fun and going through a metal detector just don't feel like they go together.

And yes the same thing could be said about FP+, planning , crowds etc but for some reason this just bugs me more.

I am the opposite. Planning the Disney vacation has gotten so taxing, it has sucked the fun out of the time leading up to vacation. I had to stay up 6 nights in a row past midnight to apply for fast passes. Then couldn't get them for some attractions and other attractions had times spread out so far apart that we weren't going to be in the parks that long. Then lines for attractions that used to be a 10 to 15 minute wait were over 60 to 120 minutes.

I don't think going through the metal detectors will bother me, but I guess I won't know until I do it.

IMO the way Disney checks bag is just silly and a waste of time. Half the time they don't even look in my camera bag.....that goes for Universal too.

MNNHFLTX
04-20-2015, 04:21 PM

And yes the same thing could be said about FP+, planning , crowds etc but for some reason this just bugs me more.I understand what you're saying, Cindy. Metal detectors are kind of a killjoy, whether they're necessary or not.

One way to look at it in deciding about the UO passes is that they have only using metal detectors on the three roller coasters--Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket and Dragon Challenge. If the kids aren't into those intense type of rides yet, but would enjoy the other attractions, it still might be worth it.

BrerGnat
04-20-2015, 04:22 PM
At the very least they could theme the metal detectors. They didn't even do that.

AgentC
04-20-2015, 05:44 PM
I am the opposite. Planning the Disney vacation has gotten so taxing, it has sucked the fun out of the time leading up to vacation. I had to stay up 6 nights in a row past midnight to apply for fast passes. Then couldn't get them for some attractions and other attractions had times spread out so far apart that we weren't going to be in the parks that long. Then lines for attractions that used to be a 10 to 15 minute wait were over 60 to 120 minutes.

I don't think going through the metal detectors will bother me, but I guess I won't know until I do it.

IMO the way Disney checks bag is just silly and a waste of time. Half the time they don't even look in my camera bag.....that goes for Universal too.

I totally get where you are coming from Rita but I don't do anything of the things you mentioned for planning at Disney World so they don't bug me.

I almost always book my FP at 30 days or less. I've been able to get most of what I want. we went to AK on Good Friday and I had to book same day and it was fine. If I don't get them, it doesn't bother me but I think that is probably the local factor. We go enough that there is always another time. If I went once every couple of years and had to do certain things, it probably would bother me.

Lines and crowds are another story but there is nothing to really do about. The people aren't going away so you live with or you don't do.

I understand what you're saying, Cindy. Metal detectors are kind of a killjoy, whether they're necessary or not.

One way to look at it in deciding about the UO passes is that they have only using metal detectors on the three roller coasters--Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket and Dragon Challenge. If the kids aren't into those intense type of rides yet, but would enjoy the other attractions, it still might be worth it.

I was mainly considering it for me, Beth. The kids won't ride enough. I might get them Legoland passes since they are super cheap.

I think my thing is metal detectors remind me of airports, courthouses etc. Probably not rational but I can't shake the feeling. I'll be going in May so we'll see if I feel differently after. :D

conan617
04-20-2015, 06:00 PM
At the very least they could theme the metal detectors. They didn't even do that.

This is a brilliant idea:thumbsup: Why not scan everyone looking for Terminators or Decepticons?

NJGIRL
04-20-2015, 06:26 PM
I totally get where you are coming from Rita but I don't do anything of the things you mentioned for planning at Disney World so they don't bug me.

I almost always book my FP at 30 days or less. I've been able to get most of what I want. we went to AK on Good Friday and I had to book same day and it was fine. If I don't get them, it doesn't bother me but I think that is probably the local factor. We go enough that there is always another time. If I went once every couple of years and had to do certain things, it probably would bother me.

:D

We had been going on a yearly (before I started to get fed up) basis for a while so I wasn't overly concerned about doing everything every trip. My problem is the value. To me spending hundreds of dollars for each person and only getting to do four or five attractions at park is the problem. I have no problems with the MK because they have so many attractions. It is a problem at the other three parks because they have so many less. I can see where it wouldn't be a problem for a local with an annual pass because the value is still there.

In general I do not have consumer loyalty. I generally shop and spend my money where I feel I am going to get the most for it, so that is why I don't have a problem cutting back our Disney vacations for Universal. I would feel the same way if Universal was making the same changes that Disney has.

AgentC
04-20-2015, 07:20 PM
To me spending hundreds of dollars for each person and only getting to do four or five attractions at park is the problem. I have no problems with the MK because they have so many attractions. It is a problem at the other three parks because they have so many less. I can see where it wouldn't be a problem for a local with an annual pass because the value is still there.

Yep, there is was more value being a Florida resident. My kids don't really think of any of the theme parks as something special. Its just another one of there activities. :D

AgentC
04-20-2015, 07:23 PM

This is a brilliant idea:thumbsup: Why not scan everyone looking for Terminators or Decepticons?

That is a fun idea. ;)

joanna71985
04-20-2015, 09:18 PM
You cannot wear glasses on the rides like Hulk, Rip Ride Rockit, or Dueling Dragons. I really don't know how that works with people who HAVE to wear them to see? Regardless, ALL sunglasses must be removed but last time I went (last October) you were allowed to hold them in your hand. My friend accidentally forgot to leave hers in the locker and boarded dueling dragons with them. She held them in her hand. Probably won't be allowed these days.

I wear glasses FT. I have never had any problems with wearing them on any ride at Universal

NJGIRL
04-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Yep, there is was more value being a Florida resident. My kids don't really think of any of the theme parks as something special. Its just another one of there activities. :D

That's funny. Kids never realize how good they have it. My 17 year old still doesn't. :D

DizneyFreak2002
04-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I wear glasses FT. I have never had any problems with wearing them on any ride at Universal
And you will continue to not have issues wearing them... Spoke to someone yesterday... People who wear glasses are still allowed to wear them on rides...

With that said, this isn't generating much in the way of positive news for Universal Guest Services... The biggest complaints from people aren't the metal detectors... it is the fact they have to give up with phones while waiting in line for the attraction... Further proof that people cannot function without their face buried in their phones anymore... Sad commentary on society today... Man how did people ever survive without smartphones? Oh yea, THEY ACTUALLY TALKED TO EACH OTHER...

joanna71985
04-21-2015, 02:47 PM
With that said, this isn't generating much in the way of positive news for Universal Guest Services... The biggest complaints from people aren't the metal detectors... it is the fact they have to give up with phones while waiting in line for the attraction... Further proof that people cannot function without their face buried in their phones anymore... Sad commentary on society today... Man how did people ever survive without smartphones? Oh yea, THEY ACTUALLY TALKED TO EACH OTHER...

Oh good grief! That's just sad

BrerGnat
04-21-2015, 02:50 PM
And you will continue to not have issues wearing them... Spoke to someone yesterday... People who wear glasses are still allowed to wear them on rides...

Well, to play devil's advocate, people do use phones to keep in touch when splitting up at the parks. This is particularly true with families with small children who cannot or will not ride every attraction. Parents don't generally like to be "incommunicado" or unreachable when separated. Also, some people do need to be able to be reached for other reasons or they may have to conduct work while spending idle time in line.

Not everyone uses their phones for mindless tasks.

Christine
04-21-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry OP had a bad experience at universal. I have never had a negative TM encounter there. Ever.
As for their rules, I'll do what they need me to do. It's definitely not their favorite either, but rather a necessary evil.

As for snippy treatment, you're very lucky if you haven't been treated like that at Disney. I can give many instances where I have been. And many instances when I get the "military treatment" being yelled at with commands. Exiting MK after Wishes definitely comes to mind.

Neither is perfect.

Hopefully you will give it another try.

DizneyFreak2002
04-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Well, to play devil's advocate, people do use phones to keep in touch when splitting up at the parks. This is particularly true with families with small children who cannot or will not ride every attraction. Parents don't generally like to be "incommunicado" or unreachable when separated. Also, some people do need to be able to be reached for other reasons or they may have to conduct work while spending idle time in line.

Not everyone uses their phones for mindless tasks.
Not playing devil's advocate at all... I figured that would be the reason people were more than ticked off at having to secure their phones in a locker and weren't allowed with them... so when I heard it was cause they couldn't play games, I was somewhat shocked, but not much... That's why I said such is today's society, people are buried face and head into their phones today and not taking in the world around them...

NJGIRL
04-21-2015, 10:13 PM
I noticed on our trip to Disney two weeks ago that 80% of people waiting in the lines were glued to their phones....not talking to each other....not even looking at each other...I though it was sad.

MNNHFLTX
04-22-2015, 12:14 AM
With that said, this isn't generating much in the way of positive news for Universal Guest Services... The biggest complaints from people aren't the metal detectors... it is the fact they have to give up with phones while waiting in line for the attraction... Further proof that people cannot function without their face buried in their phones anymore... Sad commentary on society today... Man how did people ever survive without smartphones? Oh yea, THEY ACTUALLY TALKED TO EACH OTHER...There is truth in that for some activities. However, in the case of standing in line for long periods of time, I actually love having my phone. I love my family to the moon and back but we talk all the time, so there us hardly any need for lengthy discussions that will fill 60-90 minutes of waiting in line. Line-shuffling for long periods of time is mind-numbing, quite honestly, and anything that distracts and reduces the tedium is welcome. That said, I prefer to use the Express Pass for as many rides as I can to reduce wait time and allow us to have more quality family time doing other things at UO, like pool time or bowling or whatever. So, if they say no cell phones on those particular rides that's fine with me, as long as I can use Express Pass.

My :twocents: worth.

DizneyFreak2002
04-22-2015, 01:25 AM
There is truth in that for some activities. However, in the case of standing in line for long periods of time, I actually love having my phone. I love my family to the moon and back but we talk all the time, so there us hardly any need for lengthy discussions that will fill 60-90 minutes of waiting in line. Line-shuffling for long periods of time is mind-numbing, quite honestly, and anything that distracts and reduces the tedium is welcome. That said, I prefer to use the Express Pass for as many rides as I can to reduce wait time and allow us to have more quality family time doing other things at UO, like pool time or bowling or whatever. So, if they say no cell phones on those particular rides that's fine with me, as long as I can use Express Pass.

My :twocents: worth.

How did you ever survive theme park lines before smartphones? Geez, how did any one ever survive a theme park line without smartphones?

Sad that people NEED their smartphone for any kind of stimulation today... Yes, it is a sad commentary on our society...

DizneyFreak2002
04-22-2015, 01:27 AM
I noticed on our trip to Disney two weeks ago that 80% of people waiting in the lines were glued to their phones....not talking to each other....not even looking at each other...I though it was sad.
It is sad... a whole generation is growing up with absolutely no social skills cause their face is buried in a smartphone of some sort of tablet... No one talks anymore... People rather play games than talk to their family or friends or, HEAVENS FORBID, talk to strangers and meet new people... you may just have to, GASP, talk to a fellow human... Oh the humanity!!!!

BTW, received a second confirmation that glasses can be worn on the coasters still...

Tink1
04-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Live from universal.

Glasses. Asthma inhalers. Insulin pumps. Medical devices such as Braces etc are all allowed.

N

LittleSpirit02
04-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Live from universal.

Glasses. Asthma inhalers. Insulin pumps. Medical devices such as Braces etc are all allowed.

N

Thanks Tink1! :)

Because the empty pocket/locker/metal detector policy is only used for 3 rides - is there a better way to prepare guests for the difference in queue expectation? I feel like many guests may enter the queue casually like the other rides and not realize till they get up to the metal detector that they aren't allowed something. Then TMs get frustrated, guests get frustrated and it just builds from there. That's probably when the entrance TMs start going a bit mad, too.

I think I speak for most when I say there is absolutely no problem putting items away (including phones) but the instant bombarding of "put that away!" as if I should've instantly known and am deliberately trying to be sneaky approach the line seems like maybe not the best...

I understand that when many aren't following (or maybe realizing?) the guidelines that TMs get frustrated cause they probably feel like a broken record. Just trying to think of a solution that helps both sides...

:confused:

John
04-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks Tink1! :)

Because the empty pocket/locker/metal detector policy is only used for 3 rides - is there a better way to prepare guests for the difference in queue expectation? I feel like many guests may enter the queue casually like the other rides and not realize till they get up to the metal detector that they aren't allowed something. Then TMs get frustrated, guests get frustrated and it just builds from there. That's probably when the entrance TMs start going a bit mad, too.

I think I speak for most when I say there is absolutely no problem putting items away (including phones) but the instant bombarding of "put that away!" as if I should've instantly known and am deliberately trying to be sneaky approach the line seems like maybe not the best...

I understand that when many aren't following (or maybe realizing?) the guidelines that TMs get frustrated cause they probably feel like a broken record. Just trying to think of a solution that helps both sides...

:confused:

The metal detectors happen before you get in the queue. We were there last month and at Rip Ride Rockit, they were at the entrance with two cast members and big signs instructing folks to put their stuff in the free lockers.

Bottom line - you should be able to live without your phone for a little while. I get we all do work, have to keep in touch etc, but we lived for a long time on this planet without the need to be out of touch for 20-25 minutes. If it's an issue, call or text the person who might miss you and let them know what is going on.

I do think it's sad.

I also think it's sad what fastpass plus has done to Disney. The other day Christine and I were in epcot. We were so focused on looking up information and trying to sync our fastpass plans (we were not previously link) that we walked - GET THIS - from the entrance gate to Imagination without looking up from our smartphones. After we did it, we turned to each other, realized what we had done - and both commented on how sad that was. We were in our own bubble with no interaction socially with anything around us.

That time (small talk, silly stuff or not) was precious to families and allowed us to bond and grow closer. I look back fondly on the conversations I had as a kid with my mom, dad and brothers while waiting in line. We didn't have something to keep us entertained other than our minds, and somehow we managed and had a great vacation.

I'm not a fuddy dutty by any means and I love technology, but on vacations, moderation is better and I just don't get the outrage or problem here.

Obviously, they have had some safety issues which have necessitated the use of metal detectors on the rides. I'd rather be safe on these type of things. If I was going on the simpsons, it would be overkill - but a high tech, complicated rollercoaster... maybe not so much.

DizneyFreak2002
04-22-2015, 12:14 PM
The metal detectors happen before you get in the queue. We were there last month and at Rip Ride Rockit, they were at the entrance with two cast members and big signs instructing folks to put their stuff in the free lockers.

Bottom line - you should be able to live without your phone for a little while. I get we all do work, have to keep in touch etc, but we lived for a long time on this planet without the need to be out of touch for 20-25 minutes. If it's an issue, call or text the person who might miss you and let them know what is going on.

I do think it's sad.

I also think it's sad what fastpass plus has done to Disney. The other day Christine and I were in epcot. We were so focused on looking up information and trying to sync our fastpass plans (we were not previously link) that we walked - GET THIS - from the entrance gate to Imagination without looking up from our smartphones. After we did it, we turned to each other, realized what we had done - and both commented on how sad that was. We were in our own bubble with no interaction socially with anything around us.

That time (small talk, silly stuff or not) was precious to families and allowed us to bond and grow closer. I look back fondly on the conversations I had as a kid with my mom, dad and brothers while waiting in line. We didn't have something to keep us entertained other than our minds, and somehow we managed and had a great vacation.

I'm not a fuddy dutty by any means and I love technology, but on vacations, moderation is better and I just don't get the outrage or problem here.

Obviously, they have had some safety issues which have necessitated the use of metal detectors on the rides. I'd rather be safe on these type of things. If I was going on the simpsons, it would be overkill - but a high tech, complicated rollercoaster... maybe not so much.
I'd give ya a Severus Snape clapping GIF, but no pictures :)

Everything John posted here is 100% true... it is sad that today, people need to have their heads buried in a smartphone/tablet, and cannot react to outside stimuli... They need phones, games, it's pathetic really.. And Disney is feeding the culture of creating brainless drones by now forcing you to vacation with your head buried in the phone/tablet... I'm sorry if people take offense to this, but it is very sad that you cannot function without your phone to stimulate you... it is sad that you cannot even bring yourself to communicate with family and friends, but rather play Candy Crush...

Vacations are, just like John said here, a great time to bond with your family or friends... In real life, we have work, the hustle and bustle of real life... Vacation is a perfect time to get away from that... Instead, no one wants to talk to their kids... They love them dearly but not enough to bond with them on vacation? No, they rather play games on their phone... Sad...

Disney used to be about theme... The small things we appreciated in the details... Now? Why bother? They are forcing you to stare at your phone/tablet while in the parks... Plus, as I said, people can no longer function normally if they don't get their Candy Crush fix in... Talk? Who needs it!!!! I got to level 135 on CC!!!! I'm AWESOME!!!!

MizMissy
04-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Or, when you not only actually talked to your friends and family in line, but you met other people around you! My best memories were having a conversation and someone behind you hears a snippet of your conversation and loandbehold you grew up in the same town, or his best friend from third grade lives down the street from you, or some other truly "it's a small world" coincidence that you now miss out on because no one talks to each other ... or you simply learn something from a stranger or you have small talk about something inconsequential, like the weather ... that thing we used to define as "socializing."

I'm as guilty as the next person, but I do try to "unplug" on vacation ... but no one seems to ever truly unplug nowadays.

BrerGnat
04-22-2015, 12:31 PM
You know, back before smart phones, people used to bring books to read in lines. Or they would study the park map. Kids would bring handheld games, video game systems, etc. Kids would blow bubbles in lines (wasn't THAT fun!?).

In general, people could be seen in public places with their faces buried behind newspapers, crossword puzzles, word searches. Women would knit, or crochet.

The truth is, tech is not ruining society. People are social beings, yes, but they also require time detached from others to reset their minds. Constant social connection is not normal.

I have been going to theme parks my whole life. I do not recall having deep long conversations in attraction lines. I recall lots of whining, complaining, and arguing. I recall lots of annoying behavior by kids and adults alike.

I am happy that one small device like a smartphone can replace the need to bring a bag full of stuff to keep myself and my kids occupied in lines. It is amazing, and that is what technology is all about.

Plus, on a personal note, my kids are autistic. They are almost 11 and 9. They don't have conversations with me. Or really with anyone else, no matter where we are. Dinner at our house is a silent affair. Every night. So, it isn't always "sad" when you see a family not talking to each other. Some families are just different. I assure you, we are not sad, and we are not neglecting our kids. They just don't talk except in small bursts to express needs.

John
04-22-2015, 12:41 PM
You know, back before smart phones, people used to bring books to read in lines. Or they would study the park map. Kids would bring handheld games, video game systems, etc. Kids would blow bubbles in lines (wasn't THAT fun!?).

In general, people could be seen in public places with their faces buried behind newspapers, crossword puzzles, word searches. Women would knit, or crochet.

The truth is, tech is not ruining society. People are social beings, yes, but they also require time detached from others to reset their minds. Constant social connection is not normal.

I have been going to theme parks my whole life. I do not recall having deep long conversations in attraction lines. I recall lots of whining, complaining, and arguing. I recall lots of annoying behavior by kids and adults alike.

I am happy that one small device like a smartphone can replace the need to bring a bag full of stuff to keep myself and my kids occupied in lines. It is amazing, and that is what technology is all about.

Plus, on a personal note, my kids are autistic. They are almost 11 and 9. They don't have conversations with me. Or really with anyone else, no matter where we are. Dinner at our house is a silent affair. Every night. So, it isn't always "sad" when you see a family not talking to each other. Some families are just different. I assure you, we are not sad, and we are not neglecting our kids. They just don't talk except in small bursts to express needs.

Ah Natalie - the yin to my yang. I can always count on you! ;)

No where did I say it was "Ruining our lives" and like I said - we didn't have to have deep conversations, we were just communicating. Again - I'm as big a nerd as the next person.

By the same point, we also were free to explore the park without being pinged every 5 minutes by our parents - where are you. Some of our first taste of freedom came there.

And dinner in our house was never a silent affair - though I get why it is in your case. I can't begin to imagine your challenges. It was interactive (when we weren't running to events, games or otherwise). Not perfect, but we tried as a family to converse.

It goes to both sides of that equation.

Back to the topic at hand - 25 minutes without your phone can be done, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

John
04-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Or, when you not only actually talked to your friends and family in line, but you met other people around you! My best memories were having a conversation and someone behind you hears a snippet of your conversation and loandbehold you grew up in the same town, or his best friend from third grade lives down the street from you, or some other truly "it's a small world" coincidence that you now miss out on because no one talks to each other ... or you simply learn something from a stranger or you have small talk about something inconsequential, like the weather ... that thing we used to define as "socializing."

I'm as guilty as the next person, but I do try to "unplug" on vacation ... but no one seems to ever truly unplug nowadays.

Funny you mention that - we ended up talking to a family on the monorail during one trip because of our "family shirt". I ended up taking the girl my age in that family to my prom and I went to hers. Talk about connecting :)

My parents have remained connected to them ever since our trip back when I was a teen. CRAZY!

BrerGnat
04-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Ah Natalie - the yin to my yang. I can always count on you! ;)

No where did I say it was "Ruining our lives" and like I said - we didn't have to have deep conversations, we were just communicating. Again - I'm as big a nerd as the next person.

By the same point, we also were free to explore the park without being pinged every 5 minutes by our parents - where are you. Some of our first taste of freedom came there.

And dinner in our house was never a silent affair - though I get why it is in your case. I can't begin to imagine your challenges. It was interactive (when we weren't running to events, games or otherwise). Not perfect, but we tried as a family to converse.

It goes to both sides of that equation.

Back to the topic at hand - 25 minutes without your phone can be done, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

I wasn't really responding to just your response , John. I agree that less than a hour without a phone is not a big deal. No one should be "outraged" about having to give up anything for such a short period of time.

I also think the over reliance on phones built into Disney's system is a pain. And I also found myself traversing large distances in the parks without ever looking at where I was.

However, I was just responding more to the notion of how "sad" it is when people don't interact socially at all times. It's not something that comes naturally to a LOT of people. I suppose I am more sensitive about these kinds of judgments given my family situation.

John
04-22-2015, 03:20 PM
I wasn't really responding to just your response , John. I agree that less than a hour without a phone is not a big deal. No one should be "outraged" about having to give up anything for such a short period of time.

I also think the over reliance on phones built into Disney's system is a pain. And I also found myself traversing large distances in the parks without ever looking at where I was.

However, I was just responding more to the notion of how "sad" it is when people don't interact socially at all times. It's not something that comes naturally to a LOT of people. I suppose I am more sensitive about these kinds of judgments given my family situation.

I got what you said - to me it is a bit of a cultural shift. It's not that there weren't those who didn't interact in the past - just seems like we are moving more towards the world depicted in Wall-E

20 years ago - you knew EVERYONE who lived on your street or the parents of who your kids interacted with. Not so much anymore.

Anyway, back to metal detectors - LOL.

MNNHFLTX
04-22-2015, 07:36 PM
I agree that 30-45 minutes in line without a phone would be just fine with me--longer, if necessary. But truly it's a non-issue with me because I would almost never wait in line longer than that, not for Disney or Universal (I say almost since my son and I waited an hour in the Gringott's line because the ride broke down and we decided to wait it out, since we wanted to ride on it together the first time. And we didn't have our phones with us either. And yes, it was tedious.) Having lived in Central Florida and being able to go to the theme parks whenever we wanted there is no ride/attraction that I need to do so badly that I would wait longer than that (except that time with Gringott's). And there are much more fun things to do as a family than wait in long lines, IMO.

Anyway, the bottom line to me is the rules are the rules and people can either take it or leave it, but they shouldn't be outraged. Either they're okay with the metal detectors and leaving their personal items in the lockers or the can move on to the next ride, next theme park, whatever.

What kind of bothers me about this discussion is the use of the word pathetic (or even sad) to judge someone else's actions. I think people can state, as some have done, like John, that something is not for them or that their family prefers to do things another way, which is fine. But to say that that others are pathetic because they don't feel or act the same way just doesn't settle right with me. Who are we to judge? :shrug:

MNNHFLTX
04-22-2015, 08:20 PM
And to the LittleSpirit02--sorry again for your experience at Dragon Challenge, no one deserves to be yelled at in a place where they went to have fun. As people get used to the new safety measures, hopefully there will less confusion and stress for everyone.

Sorry your thread got sidetracked too. :oops:

LittleSpirit02
04-22-2015, 08:57 PM
And to the LittleSpirit02--sorry again for your experience at Dragon Challenge, no one deserves to be yelled at in a place where they went to have fun. As people get used to the new safety measures, hopefully there will less confusion and stress for everyone.

Sorry your thread got sidetracked too. :oops:

Haha! No worries!

NJGIRL
04-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Funny you mention that - we ended up talking to a family on the monorail during one trip because of our "family shirt". I ended up taking the girl my age in that family to my prom and I went to hers. Talk about connecting :)

My parents have remained connected to them ever since our trip back when I was a teen. CRAZY!

That is a great Disney story!

DizneyFreak2002
04-22-2015, 10:33 PM
The test phase is over... The metal detectors are now permanent...

NJGIRL
04-24-2015, 07:10 AM
The test phase is over... The metal detectors are now permanent...

Which attractions have the metal detectors? And I guess my other question is for those that do not have metal detectors can you still leave stuff in your pockets?

DizneyFreak2002
04-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Which attractions have the metal detectors? And I guess my other question is for those that do not have metal detectors can you still leave stuff in your pockets?
Rip Ride Rocket, Dragon Challenge, Hulk coaster...

No idea about the other attractions and rules relating to items in your pockets... I think the issues were only with the three coasters...

EeyoresBestFriend
05-21-2015, 10:50 PM
my thought is:

Nanc

I agree. They have thrill rides and I think that requires stricter rules. Anything in a pocket can be taken out once the ride begins - nothing personal just a good blanket rule.

We have been to UO many times and I've never had problems with their CMs. I agree with them and appreciate the CMs that spend their day enforcing rules for my safety on a ride.

DizneyFreak2002
05-23-2015, 09:36 PM
We have been to UO many times and I've never had problems with their CMs. I agree with them and appreciate the CMs that spend their day enforcing rules for my safety on a ride.
I only had one issue with their Team Members... It was so bad, they refunded me and my friends our money for Halloween horror Nights tickets, which they clearly state they will not refund... A guest services manager decided to get into it with us as well... I cancelled my annual pass at that point due to the treatment...

As a courtesy, Guest Services did offer me two comp tickets to give their parks another chance... and I took them up on their offer... And fell in love with their parks... I've been looking forward to going back ever since 2013... I need to see Diagon Alley!!!

Oh and I haven't had any other issues with their team members since that one unfortunate incident... They are light years better than they used to be, ever since Comcast took over...

NJGIRL
05-23-2015, 11:05 PM
I only had one issue with their Team Members... It was so bad, they refunded me and my friends our money for Halloween horror Nights tickets, which they clearly state they will not refund... A guest services manager decided to get into it with us as well... I cancelled my annual pass at that point due to the treatment...

As a courtesy, Guest Services did offer me two comp tickets to give their parks another chance... and I took them up on their offer... And fell in love with their parks... I've been looking forward to going back ever since 2013... I need to see Diagon Alley!!!

Oh and I haven't had any other issues with their team members since that one unfortunate incident... They are light years better than they used to be, ever since Comcast took over...

Funny you mentioned that....While we did not have a problem with a staff member, last year I bought quick service meal tickets for my son and his two friends so they didn't have to carry a lot of money around for lunch . They worked out perfect for the first three days. On the fourth and final day their system went down and the boys had to pay cash for lunch. I had to spend time finding the boys and going to guest services to get a refund for the unused meal tickets. It was a little annoying because we were at IOA and the boys were at the Studio and we needed to hand in the tickets before getting a refund...So here is where the story gets interesting. A guest service member took my husband and I through the shortcut from one park to the next. We were really behind the scenes. We went through staff only gates and were told to meet the boys at the Men in Black attraction because there was a guest service member there to do the refund. Once we got to MIB, guest services processed the refund and told us they were going to do something special for us. They took all 5 of us into the Men in Black Attraction and onto the floor where no one else can go. It was so funny because everyone in line above us were staring and pointing like we were VIP's. I saw someone take our picture (I guess they thought we might be important). We got to take pictures of our group with the Aliens at the Control Desk. We sat in the White Funky Chairs and signed the Interstellar Passport Book. When we were done taking pictures we were taken to the front of the line for the ride. It was so unexpected, but so cool. Even though the boys were 16 at the time, they got a big kick out of it.

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Funny you mentioned that....While we did not have a problem with a staff member, last year I bought quick service meal tickets for my son and his two friends so they didn't have to carry a lot of money around for lunch . They worked out perfect for the first three days. On the fourth and final day their system went down and the boys had to pay cash for lunch. I had to spend time finding the boys and going to guest services to get a refund for the unused meal tickets. It was a little annoying because we were at IOA and the boys were at the Studio and we needed to hand in the tickets before getting a refund...So here is where the story gets interesting. A guest service member took my husband and I through the shortcut from one park to the next. We were really behind the scenes. We went through staff only gates and were told to meet the boys at the Men in Black attraction because there was a guest service member there to do the refund. Once we got to MIB, guest services processed the refund and told us they were going to do something special for us. They took all 5 of us into the Men in Black Attraction and onto the floor where no one else can go. It was so funny because everyone in line above us were staring and pointing like we were VIP's. I saw someone take our picture (I guess they thought we might be important). We got to take pictures of our group with the Aliens at the Control Desk. We sat in the White Funky Chairs and signed the Interstellar Passport Book. When we were done taking pictures we were taken to the front of the line for the ride. It was so unexpected, but so cool. Even though the boys were 16 at the time, they got a big kick out of it.
I'm not sure I ever shared my story here... I may have, but it's been years now... I'll share it:

My friends and I had tickets to do Halloween Horror Nights... The plan was we would spend the day at Universal, then do HHN at night... I don't remember but I believe we left before 1:00 in the afternoon...

The story begins at the Simpsons attraction... After a long wait, we finally got to be seated... The Team Member seating us had a very nasty attitude... She kept moving people all over in the car... Then she started mouthing off and talking down to us as if we were brain dead idiots... There were 4 in my group and a family of 3 I believe, and she couldn't get us seated to her liking apparently... As I said, she kept making us move... Mind you, every one of us were following her instructions to get seated so we could start the ride... No one was doing anything we weren't supposed to be doing... Another Team Member came over to assist her... Either she was clueless or was having a terrible life, I mean day... Well the berating became enough for me and I stormed off the ride... I refuse to let anyone talk down to me as if I am an idiot...

So, my friends and I went to Guest Services where we lodged a complaint about the treatment... The girl at the front desk had a look of horror on her face, but then said to me "We've been getting a lot of complaints today, let me call the manager from that area over." In the meantime, we requested our money back for the HHN tickets as we told her there was no way we were staying in the park... To her credit, she was a calm as can be and really but the situation at ease.. Until her manager came out from the back... Her manager asked her what the issue was, and she explained how they have received yet another complaint about the Team Member from the Simpsons ride, how it led me to cancel my AP and getting refunded for HHN... The GS manager looks at us and says, "Figures, look at the shirts they are wearing... Disney fans." Well, that did it for me... I don't care what shirt anyone is wearing... There was no need for that comment... So I said to the manager "What does my Pirates of the Caribbean shirt have to do with your Team Member having a nasty attitude and treating guests like garbage?" She rolled her eyes as if I was making things up... Well, right behind us came another family, and they lodged a complaint against the same exact Team Member we just complained about...

The manager of the area Simpsons is located came over and spoke with us.. He apologized 1000 times and said the way we were treated is not how they teach their TMs... He would speak to her and take further action if necessary... I told him I didn't want to see her fired, but at least train the TMs to respect their guests if they want people to actually visit the park... He offered us a free bottle of water each (we refused, we weren't in it for any kind of freebie, we just wanted our money back for the HHN tickets, and to begone)... We left the park...