PDA

View Full Version : What resorts' pool stay open late ?

JoDisney
04-15-2015, 06:17 PM
I understand POR quiet pools stay open 24 hrs. I'm interested in what other pools stay open after parks close late. So many main pools close now at 10 pm or 11 pm because of drowning at Disney World.

Disney has resorts for people that are on vacation. Life guards should be hired so main pools can stay open, especially in Spring and Summer. I know the vacationers would use the pools.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-15-2015, 08:26 PM
I believe that the resorts that have "quiet" pools (where there are never any lifeguards) remain open.

We were at POFQ last year, after this rule started, and there was only one night when we were at the pool "at closing". I thought it would be more of a pain for us, but it wasn't too bad at all.

It was nice having them open 24/7, but Disney has to put safety first!

JoDisney
04-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Safety meaning: hiring life guards for late night hours, at least until 1 am. We all are on vacation and these resorts are vacation resort's.:swim::swim::swim::swim::swim:

Cinderelley
04-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Safety meaning: hiring life guards for late night hours, at least until 1 am. We all are on vacation and these resorts are vacation resort's.:swim::swim::swim::swim::swim:

If you are in one of the rooms near the pools, do you really want to hear kids playing in the pool at 1 am?

missymouseworld
04-18-2015, 08:16 PM
During Spring Break at Coronado Springs last week we had a pool view room and the quiet pool sign said they were open only until 11pm. The main pool was guarded/open until 11pm also.

I guess different resorts have different rules??

forever a child
04-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Since my DD will be lifeguarding at WDW and has lifeguarded in the past, I will say that finding lifeguards is difficult I believe even for WDW. Currently, they have jobs posted for FT lifeguard position openings.

But also, you must understand that the lifeguards must be able to see the bottom of the pool clearly and night conditions make that difficult unless you are going to light the area fully. The guards are not only responsible for what happens IN the pool but also around the pool, so controlling running and rough housing behavior around the pool are their responsibility. Also, they have to have a certain number of lifeguards at each pool as they rotate positions with a certain number of breaks during the rotation, they need to be able to be alert and maintain good focus. I image without these breaks it would be much like hypnosis when you drive for too long and have a delayed reaction to respond unless you take breaks or watch from a new vantage point.

Also, one one of our last trips, a 7 or 8 year old child drown at POP. Which was just outside of our room area and we never heard or knew. Parents and guardians don't always see the signs of drowning that lifeguards tend to notice. I do not know if it was deemed a quiet pool or if the child was even supposed to be in there, but it was so sad to know that a family had lost a child that morning when we were heading out to enjoy our day.

Just my two cents!

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Also, one one of our last trips, a 7 or 8 year old child drown at POP. Which was just outside of our room area and we never heard or knew. Parents and guardians don't always see the signs of drowning that lifeguards tend to notice.

I'm sorry it happened so close to where you were staying ... it was just horrible.

I've seen the 11pm signs at the quiet pools, but I'm not sure how often they are enforced. Probably more often now than in the past.