PDA

View Full Version : WDW bans selfie sticks on rides

WDWdriver
04-06-2015, 09:52 PM
WDW has instructed Cast Members to inform guests boarding rides that the use of camera "selfie sticks" will not be permitted on the ride. WDW has had a long term policy against objects of any sort extended outside of the ride vehicle. This new announcement goes even further by completely banning any use of the selfie sticks while on the ride. CMs operating the ride are authorized to stop ride motion whenever guests are seen using the sticks.

Selfie sticks may still be used in other areas of the parks.

Hog
04-06-2015, 09:57 PM
I literally just got off of the great movie ride and a guest was using one. They were holding it above their head taking video and pictures. The driver kept telling him ( about 100 times) to put it down to eye level. But never that he wasn't allowed to use it.

John
04-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Finally. :mad:

That's all I've got.

PopPhan
04-07-2015, 08:25 AM
That's a (good) start....

Basket Mommy
04-07-2015, 08:49 AM
It will only work if the CMs stop people from using them. Supposedly rolling backpacks are banned, too, but security lets them through. I wish the rules were more regularly enforced.

dnickels
04-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Hurray! At least that's one step in the direction for common sense.

SBETigg
04-07-2015, 09:47 AM
If they're not banned from the park entirely, they are going to end up being used on rides. I think they should go that one step further. And even then, it's no guarantee, as Basket Mommy mentions with the rolling backpacks/coolers.

TheDuckRocks
04-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I wish the rules were more regularly enforced.

Amen!

DonaldDuck1117
04-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Roller backpacks are allowed in the parks because they can be worn like a regular backpack...they just aren't allowed to be pulled behind (I know, everyone does it) but thet are allowed.

Speedy1998
04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
It will only work if the CMs stop people from using them. Supposedly rolling backpacks are banned, too, but security lets them through. I wish the rules were more regularly enforced.

I think you are assuming that a. The person rolls it up to security b. That the security guard notices the wheels, while he or she is looking in the bag.

You would be amazed at how much humans miss when they are focused on a singular task (in this case searching the inside of the bag for banned items.)

PirateLover
04-07-2015, 04:39 PM
I call them Selfish Sticks. I, too, wish they would go the extra step and ban them completely. People use them for fireworks and stage shows as well, and they are incredibly obnoxious.

Basket Mommy
04-07-2015, 04:58 PM
I think you are assuming that a. The person rolls it up to security

I am not assuming. I was in line behind a rolling backpack at security in November. The girl picked the bag up off the ground and plopped it into the table as the CM watched. Nobody said a word.

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Very glad to hear this news. While I'm sure there are people out there who would use a selfie stick considerately and responsibly, there are hundreds more who would not.

Speedy1998
04-08-2015, 01:36 PM
I am not assuming. I was in line behind a rolling backpack at security in November. The girl picked the bag up off the ground and plopped it into the table as the CM watched. Nobody said a word.

In that case I would say it was a security guard (or maybe WDW as a whole) picking battles, and deciding the rolling backpacks are not worth the fight.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Hoping this is well enforced while there in June. Wish it would be park wide and not just on rides as I got a nice shiner from one at Kings Dominion VA from a clueless teen back in October.

azcavalier
04-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Hoping this is well enforced while there in June. Wish it would be park wide and not just on rides as I got a nice shiner from one at Kings Dominion VA from a clueless teen back in October.

Man, I haven't been to Kings Dominion since 1991. What's it like now? How's the upkeep? How are the crowds?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-09-2015, 04:39 PM
I was there in October as a band trip Chaperone. IT wasn't packed, but 90% of the guests were marching band teens.
One of my twin sons got season passes since we are about four hours away and he found an offseason deal for under $80. He was there Easter weekend and said it wasn't bad.
I'm not a thrill ride person (part of why Disney appeals to me). So, the fun of amusement parks like Kings Dominion, Carowinds (grew up going there for every band trip from 7th-12th grade), etc. is lost on me.

disneypastor
04-10-2015, 09:31 AM
From Theme Park Review:

Selfie Sticks themselves are NOT banned from Walt Disney World but they now fall under the same policy as canes, umbrellas, and tri-pods and have to be "securely stowed" while on an attraction. Since you are still allowed to take photos & video on rides at WDW, that means you can use your selfie stick as long as it's not extended, and it doesn't go any further out than a normal camera would. In short, as long as it's "securely stowed."

We were sent the policy that was delivered to cast members, and it reads:

"As more and more guests use selfie sticks to take photos in our theme parks, we want to remind Cast Members about their proper use & storage. Existing procedures require guests personal belongings to be properly stowed while on board attractions, trams, and other moving vehicles - and this includes selfie sticks. As always, guests are required to keep their hands, arms, feet and legs inside ride vehicles while riding. If you see a guest with a selfie stick entering or waiting in a queue, take a moment to remind them that while onboard the attraction the device must be properly stowed and cannot be used. [extended to length if the guest is holding it]

Is this a new policy? No. Guests riding attractions, trams, and other moving vehicles are already asked to securely stow any equipment such as cameras, canes, and other personal belongings - and selfie sticks are in the same category."

In short, selfie sticks are NOT BANNED from Walt Disney World, but the parks are enforcing their already existing personal belongings policy.

Tekneek
04-11-2015, 08:12 AM
It is really absurd that this was even required. Logic dictates that when they say keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle that this also means anything that effectively serves as an extension of your arm (canes, tripods, monopods, "selfie sticks", whatever).

joonyer
04-11-2015, 09:29 AM
It is really absurd that this was even required. Logic dictates that when they say keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle that this also means anything that effectively serves as an extension of your arm (canes, tripods, monopods, "selfie sticks", whatever).

Well logic requires thought, and consideration of the world around you before action. Unfortunately in today's culture, most people in crowded situations never give others the first thought, much less a second thought. It's all about ME, ME, ME and what I want, and I WANT IT NOW. If everybody thought of other people before themselves, and how their actions might impact others (literally in this case) then selfie sticks would not ever be an issue. Sadly, the loss of civility (among other things) in our modern culture has made the world, especially in crowded places, a much less pleasant place.

WiltonJohn
04-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately in today's culture, most people in crowded situations never give others the first thought, much less a second thought. It's all about ME, ME, ME and what I want, and I WANT IT NOW. If everybody thought of other people before themselves, and how their actions might impact others (literally in this case) then selfie sticks would not ever be an issue. Sadly, the loss of civility (among other things) in our modern culture has made the world, especially in crowded places, a much less pleasant place.

Amen.

azcavalier
04-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Well logic requires thought, and consideration of the world around you before action. Unfortunately in today's culture, most people in crowded situations never give others the first thought, much less a second thought. It's all about ME, ME, ME and what I want, and I WANT IT NOW. If everybody thought of other people before themselves, and how their actions might impact others (literally in this case) then selfie sticks would not ever be an issue. Sadly, the loss of civility (among other things) in our modern culture has made the world, especially in crowded places, a much less pleasant place.

Agreed. For many people, the attitude is that, "I paid a ton of $$$ for this vacation, and so i'm going to enjoy it any way I want." While there are many that are civil and courteous, those park-goers that aren't sure make their presence felt.

joonyer
04-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Agreed. For many people, the attitude is that, "I paid a ton of $$$ for this vacation, and so i'm going to enjoy it any way I want." While there are many that are civil and courteous, those park-goers that aren't sure make their presence felt.

You are right, and if I think about it, those guests who are in fact civil and courteous make up the vast majority of people in the parks. It's just that the few who are not so considerate or nice seem to be so much more noticeable. :(