PDA

View Full Version : magic bands

sorcerer fan
03-31-2015, 06:19 PM
how long are the batteries in magic bands good for ? I have a set from Dec 2013 and we are returning this December. just get new ones or keep old?

faline
03-31-2015, 06:53 PM
You'll probably get a new set automatically. I've usually brought the newest ones I've received along with a couple of "backups". They do die at some point but I'm not sure how long before that happens.

Speedy1998
04-01-2015, 12:36 PM
There is a really good article about the Magic Bands (Search "Disney's Billion Dollar Bet"). The article claims the batteries will last at least 2 years.

Fangorn
04-01-2015, 01:35 PM
From what I've read, the Magic Bands actually have 2 RFID chips in them - one is a passive chip which does not require power (the type of chip that's on a workplace ID badge or embedded in your credit card), and the other is an active chip that transmits a signal. The band has a non-replaceable battery embedded in it to power this second chip. Both chips use the same identifying code number.

I suspect that when the battery dies on the active chip, (and Disney keeps saying at least 2 years on that), the band can still be used for those applications that require you to touch the band to a reader. Things such as opening the door to your room and paying for purchases. The band wouldn't work in BOG or anywhere else that is expecting to pick up a transmitted signal in order to perform some function. Specifically, Disney wouldn't be able to track your movements in the parks or automatically send your ride photos to your Memorymaker account.

A magic band whose battery has died would be equivalent to using your hard card ticket for admission and/or using a room cardkey (which you can still get if you want) for your room. Both of those cards have the same type of passive RFID chips in them

At least that's how the technology should work.

We may not know for sure for another couple of years

Steve

sorcerer fan
04-01-2015, 06:11 PM
thanks everyone that was sort of what I thought so we'll just go with the new ones they'll send