PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Gem @ a resort

bob6572
03-28-2015, 08:29 AM
We will be driving next month. Since we will have a car we were looking to expand our dining options. Are there any recommendations for resort table service restaurants at some of the resorts that may be under the radar?

buzznwoodysmom
03-28-2015, 11:40 AM
We thought Grand Floridian Cafe was a great hidden gem. You don't hear much about it, but it turned out to be one of the best meals of our trip one year.

Kona Cafe also flies under the radar a bit with the popularity of Ohanas just next door.

We were pleasantly surprised with Captain's Grill at Yacht Club.

While we have never tried it, I hear that Trails End over at Fort Wilderness has a great affordable buffet.

It's been years but, we had a great meal at Maya Grill at Coronado. Riverside also has a few pretty good dishes for a moderate.

catasaid
03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
The breakfast buffet at The Captain's Grill is really good...lots of variety and made-to-order omlettes. And it's soo much cheaper than a character buffet. We make it part of every trip.

TheDuckRocks
03-28-2015, 01:42 PM
My 3 favorites are:
Boatwright's at Port Orleans Riverside
Captain's Grille at Yacht Club
Maya Grill at Coronado

Fangorn
03-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Maya Grill
Boatwrights
Kona Cafe

We always try to hit them all - no mate where we're staying. The pimento cheese fritters at Boatwrights are killer!

Steve

Janmac
03-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Boatwright's
BIg River Grille & Brewing Works
Trail's End Kitchen

Jan

BigRedDad
03-29-2015, 07:37 AM
I second Big River Grill above. We ate there in February. It was not outrageously expensive either. It is about the same price as a Chili's. Talk to the waiter as well. They have very expensive burgers with very lean beef. Burgers are not made with lean beef so no reason to waste that money.

bob6572
03-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Been to Big River a few times. Not bad but didn't blow us away. Just trying to see if there is something we missed along the way.

pox24
03-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe:thumbsup:

Cinderelley
03-30-2015, 05:10 PM
I really liked Shutters at CBR.

#1donaldfan
03-30-2015, 05:57 PM
I was blown away by the Trails End buffet. It's now our must do each trip. I would not drive there though. You'd have to park at the front of the campgrounds and ride the bus to it and that takes quite a while. The best way to get there is to take the boat from MK and from the dock it's just a short walk !!! :mickey:

azcavalier
04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
One of our must do's is Sanaa at Kidani Village (Animal Kingdom Lodge area). You definitely have to drive there. But it's quiet, you can watch the animals while you eat, and it's got a different menu. But soooo good. And while you're waiting to be seated, there is an outdoor animal viewing area.

I would argue that, while not a table service, the food court at Port Orleans Riverside offers a great selection and is worth a stop. Make your own pasta bar....mmmm......

Kona Cafe is pretty good. I also thought that The Wave at the Contemporary was pretty good, and because Chef Mickey's and the California Grill are also there, it gets overlooked.

We were not impressed with Boatwrights. But we need to try it again.

Had ADRs for the Maya Grill once, and they cancelled them because they couldn't get the grill fired up. So I have yet to try it.

Looking forward to trying Shutters in the fall.

magicofdisney
04-01-2015, 01:18 PM
I really liked Shutters at CBR.

Agreed! The New York Strip was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. :eat:

DANAM
04-01-2015, 08:32 PM
We love Kona at the Poly for breakfast

The Wave for dinner was fabulous. We really enjoyed it.

mydisneygirls
04-02-2015, 01:46 PM
We love Captain's Grille and on our list this year is Boma over at Animal Kingdom. Heard this is very good. Although we didn't dislike Trails End, we aren't in a rush to go back.

BriarRose0708
04-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Kona Cafe
The Wave
Grand Floridian Cafe
Jiko

WDW-Deano-Beast
04-03-2015, 08:09 AM
Kona Cafe -Poly.
Whispering Canyon Cafe-Wild. Lodge
ESPN Sports Bar-Boardwalk(if you're a sports fan)

PlutoPlanet
04-03-2015, 12:07 PM
We like Boma at AKL. Also take a look at the restaurants at Swan/Dolphin.

madhatterrules
04-06-2015, 08:20 AM
The Wave at the Contemporary- great steak and desserts

Kona Café at the Poly- love their scallops and steaks

Grand Floridian Café

Boma at AKL :thumbsup:

Maddie
04-06-2015, 09:41 AM
We love the Kona Sushi Bar at the Poly. We always head over and get some fresh rolled sushi! Plus, the Poly is a wonderful resort to go for a walk and view Wishes!

Disneylovescompany
04-08-2015, 12:28 PM
We consider Kona Cafe to be one of the most consistent and best restaurants in all of WDW.