PDA

View Full Version : New Adventureland Restaurant Confirmed

Patricia
03-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Reported by WDW News Today. The new restaurant, formerly Adventureland Verandah, will be tentatively be called the “Skipper’s Cantina”, themed around the Jungle Cruise attraction. The rumored back story: Seems the skippers are not making enough money driving the boats and need to open a restaurant for some extra cash.. hmm.

Rumor is that it will operate similar to "Be Our Guest" in that it may be counter service for lunch and table service for dinner.

They are aiming to open in Nov 2015, but that seems optimistic to me, given Disney's long construction times.. but let's hope. That would help with the huge Christmas crowds. Can't wait to see what becomes of this. :mickey:

TheVBs
03-24-2015, 10:52 AM
I just read an article about this! New additions are always fun to look forward to. The article I read mentioned that they might serve beer and wine with dinner like BOG.

John
03-24-2015, 11:30 AM
More dining options are always welcome...

SBETigg
03-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Very exciting! What a fun theme.

Disney4us2
03-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to trying it out.

joonyer
03-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Any rumors on the Menu theme?

Cinderelley
03-24-2015, 01:21 PM
It would be awesome if they did it like the Adventurer's Club

Fangorn
03-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Sounds like fun. Pretty sure that in our household, the place will end up being referred to as "Skipper Dan's".

Steve

MyDisneyworld
03-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Can't wait to see a menu for this.

FamilyBand1
03-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Great idea!

... then move over to Tony's and replace that menu with "good" Italian food!

John
03-24-2015, 03:03 PM
It would be awesome if they did it like the Adventurer's Club

There's using the old noggin :thumbsup:

Patricia
03-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Adventurers's Club, Jungle Cruise and Pirates themes were all running through the rumor mill before the confirmation was made yesterday.

I was pulling for Adventurer's Club myself but the Jungle Cruise is a good fit.

:tikki::elephant::tikki:

brownie
03-24-2015, 06:33 PM
This sounds promising.

yankeesfan123
03-24-2015, 06:34 PM
I saw rumors that it might be sharing a kitchen with Liberty Tree Tavern which, if true, might help cut down on construction time.

razor5002000
03-25-2015, 03:34 AM
Its sounds like a great idea and could be a lot of fun and nice place to eat. The article reads to me like a one giant rumor nothing in the article other then title confirms anything. I hate to be bummer but the article to me reads like a rumor nothing more.

TinkerbellT421
03-25-2015, 07:39 AM
It has my attention. Sounds appetizing, oops I mean appealing :blush:

merciantinkerbell
03-25-2015, 08:30 AM
The Jungle Cruise is one of our favourite rides. Hope this happens and not just a rumour.

Maddie
03-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Exciting! I am hoping they serve some :marg::beer:. I understand why they don't in most of MK but I do enjoy a drink at night when I head back into the park!

crazygoalie39
03-25-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm reaalllly excited for this! Just wish it was going to be open for our October trip. Now I'll have to wait another year to go. :(

Lindsey
03-25-2015, 01:13 PM
When I saw this news I immediately thought of the restaurant that is across from the Jungle River Cruise in HKDL, River View Cafe. That is a table service restaurant for both lunch & dinner, and it is served family-style, (which I love). The food is southeast Asian, which I doubt will be the type of food that the MK restaurant will offer. Although the restaurant itself is themed, the food really isn't, but in October they offer 'creepy' dishes for Halloween. I ordered some spider soup and a drink with an eyeball in it. :) :bat:

Gator
03-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Maybe this means that some availability at BOG will open up....yeah right.

PirateLover
03-25-2015, 06:14 PM
I am super duper excited for this. I really hope that this is the theme and that it's done right.

chrim
03-26-2015, 12:33 AM
This sounds like it could be fun. I wonder if the food will be highly themed, or mostly like what is served at the new Trader Sam's, or just more burgers and chicken nuggets (which need to be served in some places, but variety is good, too).

There is a "crew mess" menu in the Jungle Cruise queue, so that could certainly provide fodder for some restaurant menu items, including "Chicken (REALLY!!)". ;)

PETE FROM NYC
03-28-2015, 01:58 AM
Great idea!

They would not know good Italian food is. Any Florida Italian food is an insult to my heritage.

There just is no edible Italian food south of Jersey.

nicholsbears
03-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Where exactly will the new eatery be located? Will it take up part of the cue-line area for the Jungle Cruise ride?

PopPhan
03-31-2015, 03:49 PM
Where exactly will the new eatery be located? Will it take up part of the cue-line area for the Jungle Cruise ride?

Don't know if this will help you, but here is the original "rumor" of the restaurant with a print of the areas affected.

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=208082

JerseyDad
03-31-2015, 08:58 PM
They would not know good Italian food is. Any Florida Italian food is an insult to my heritage.

There just is no edible Italian food south of Jersey.

..... I'm bowing in agreement in the direction of NYC.

Ian
04-01-2015, 03:56 PM
More dining options are always welcome...:ditto:

joonyer
04-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I'll ask again, any guesses on what menu items we'll see there?

PETE FROM NYC
04-05-2015, 02:06 AM
Great idea!

There just ain't any good Italian food in all of Florida. Nor any place else south of Jersey.

BrerGnat
04-05-2015, 09:20 AM
There just ain't any good Italian food in all of Florida. Nor any place else south of Jersey.

You say this so often but I couldn't disagree with it more. You do know that Italy itself is outside of the Northeast, right? And that people from Italy settled in other places and opened up restaurants in plenty of other states? AND that Florida has a huge population of Italians who moved there FROM NY/NJ?

I grew up in NJ. The best Italian food I've had in my life has been outside of NJ and NY.

AgentC
04-05-2015, 10:46 AM
You say this so often but I couldn't disagree with it more.
. . .
AND that Florida has a huge population of Italians who moved there FROM NY/NJ?

I grew up in NJ. The best Italian food I've had in my life has been outside of NJ and NY.

I'm going to have to agree with Natalie on this one. I'm originally from the Boston area and I grew up with food from the North End. There is lots of bad Italian food in Florida but there is lots of good Italian food. I live in the middle of no where Florida in an area predominately settled by people from NJ and NY. Some of them have even opened Italian restaurants. We even have one restaurant where the chef is from Naples. Italy not Florida. He might know how to cook Italian food ;)

I think the real issue is that most (not all but most) chain restaurants are not as good as a non chain restaurants and restaurants in tourist areas do not always have the best food because there goal is to serve a lot of people with disparate tastes. They are not trying to be exceptional dining but there are always exceptions.

You never know what you will find when you go off the beaten path. I was very surprised to discover a great Scottish restaurant in my town. It was tucked away in a little corner and run by a Scottish grandmother who cooks everything herself. There are gems everywhere. :)