PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article in Wired about Magicband tech, vision and history

Biggeek
03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I know links are/were verboten but just look up "Disney’s $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband"

Article published yesterday which gives us (perhaps) the best / most complete vision of Magicband I've seen to date. It discusses not jst some interesting development anecdotes but the "why's" that Disney was/is trying to solve by implementing the system.. a little 'motivation' often goes a long way to understanding the outcome.

There is just one line where I think Staggs (still?) misses the mark on.. you will know it when you see it.

joonyer
03-11-2015, 12:26 PM
I agree it's a comprehensive report about the system, especially about its development and background. But some of that article leans a little heavy towards Disney "propaganda" to me. Just reading the article, one might think there's no problems, no complaints, and everybody just loves everything about it.

Don't get me wrong, we didn't have any technical problems with the bands and FP+ during our recent Christmas trip, but there are several requirements (too much advance planning) and limitations that I don't care for. There's still work to do to make the system truly magical.

baldburke
03-11-2015, 12:39 PM
It's a great article for Disney fans. Thanks for sharing. I realize that most loathe the idea so much pre-planning for their vacation but you have to admit that the concept is years ahead of other vendors and continues the tradition of Disney leading the way in the theme park industry.

DizneyRox
03-11-2015, 01:23 PM
There is just one line where I think Staggs (still?) misses the mark on.. you will know it when you see it.

You mean the part where he says that people really only want three fastpasses a day? That people are happier when you take choice out of their hands?

Biggeek
03-11-2015, 01:33 PM
This is the part that made me scratch my head a bit:
"The MagicBands let you simply set an agenda and let everything else flow around what you’ve selected. “It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back. "

um.. what??

DisneyGiant
03-11-2015, 02:41 PM
You mean the part where he says that people really only want three fastpasses a day? That people are happier when you take choice out of their hands?

In order to make me buy into this 100% happy - I need more than 3 fastpasses. The rest of the day is - lines, lines lines - with no hope of fast passes in the evening - unless you deliberately schedule your 3 that way.

Especially - if you use 1 for Fireworks or Fantasmic - then you really are locked into 3.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-11-2015, 03:27 PM
In order to make me buy into this 100% happy - I need more than 3 fastpasses. The rest of the day is - lines, lines lines - with no hope of fast passes in the evening - unless you deliberately schedule your 3 that way.

Especially - if you use 1 for Fireworks or Fantasmic - then you really are locked into 3.
Yes but according to the article we are all happier with fewer choices. :thedolls:

joonyer
03-11-2015, 04:31 PM
"The MagicBands let you simply set an agenda and let everything else flow around what you’ve selected. “It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back. "

um.. what??

When I read that "spontaneity" quote I spit my coffee all over the screen. I wonder if he really thinks experienced Disney theme park goers will buy that.

BrowncatP
03-11-2015, 05:51 PM
I can now take "advantage of more rides!" The lines are now longer for rides that never had long lines. I did learn that on my next trip I shall write down all of my fastpass times. I got tired of looking at my phone, waiting to get into the Disney app to recheck what time I had for the 3 and only 3 fastpasses. Oh, yes this system is SO much better!! I do like having the magicband as my room key though.

RunDMV
03-11-2015, 07:08 PM

um.. what??

:confused:

I'll have what he is drinking.

joonyer
03-11-2015, 08:59 PM
:confused:

I'll have what he is drinking.

Sounds like he's drinking the magic "cool-aid" :D

Tekneek
03-11-2015, 09:45 PM
I can only surmise that this is targeted at the people who did not know the ins and outs of the previous system, are overwhelmed by the number of rides/attractions, know little to nothing about the parks and don't plan to learn about it either.

DizneyRox
03-11-2015, 10:09 PM
I can only surmise that this is targeted at the people who did not know the ins and outs of the previous system, are overwhelmed by the number of rides/attractions, know little to nothing about the parks and don't plan to learn about it either.
Those are probably the same people easily parted from their money as well.

DonaldDuck1117
03-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes, God forbid we wait in a line at in amusement park! Craziness! ;)

The main point of doing this is to create more memories. More freed up time allows guests to create more memories in Disney's eyes. And memories turn into nostalgia, which turns into return trips and more money.

Then there is that sentence about Mickey finding YOU in the park and creating spontaneous Magic. You gotta admit if Mickey, or a face character, comes out of no where and starting saying your names and chatting you up that's going to be pretty special. But the article said Disney wants to capture these moments on film, then stitch all those bits together and sell it to you as a vacation video.

Bottom line-the bands are working and they are accomplishing what Disney wanted them to do. And like the article said we are just in the infancy stage of this. Disney has much bigger things in store than fast passes. Can't wait to see what's in store. :mickey:

goofy for pluto
03-11-2015, 10:27 PM
In fact, it’s called the paradox of choice: You make people happier not by giving them more options but by stripping away as many as you can.

I see now...Why have all the rides and attractions open when they can make me so much happier by keeping most of them shuttered. :confused:

Is anyone else very disturbed by this whole article?
The fact that someone is so desperate to control a huge group of people that they would spend billions of dollars to do it?

RunDMV
03-12-2015, 06:36 AM
Yes, God forbid we wait in a line at in amusement park! Craziness! ;)

mickey:

That is a false argument. The reason why so many people hate it is 1) the intensive planning and end of spontaneity 2) attractions that didn't have FP or long lines before, now do, leading back to 1

RunDMV
03-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Disney went too far with it. it seems a big argument for those who like FP+ is "I don't have to run and sig sag all over the park get FPs."

The current system could have accomplished that WITHOUT the excessive planning/loss of spontaneity. The kiosks or aps could be used in the park to pull FPs without going to the attraction or planning your ride 60 days out.

Ex: You are in tomorrowland. Just before you go on SM, you stop by the kiosk and pull a FP for BTMRR. No dashing across the park. No planning 60 days out.

Disney knows this.

DonaldDuck1117
03-12-2015, 03:35 PM
That is a false argument. The reason why so many people hate it is 1) the intensive planning and end of spontaneity 2) attractions that didn't have FP or long lines before, now do, leading back to 1

How is what I said a false statement? One of the primary dislikes about the new system is that it limits the number of fastpasses people can get. There are plenty of people who openly say "I won't wait in any line over 30 minutes." To that I say it's crazy to go to an amusement park and not be willing to wait in lines.

Like I said before Disney did not create MyMagic for fastpasses. They did it to more personalize their guests' vacations and make money on that personalization.

Tekneek
03-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Like I said before Disney did not create MyMagic for fastpasses. They did it to more personalize their guests' vacations and make money on that personalization.

The real money winner will be when they figure out, through behavioral analysis w/ more intense tracking of the bands, exactly which guests they have a higher profit margin on and route them accordingly. Taken to this other level, the sky is really the limit. They could have information on everyone that tailors an experience in such a way that maximizes Disney's profits, because they know what situations to put you in that causes you to spend the most money (from meal reservations, Fast Passes, ride/attraction suggestions, etc). If they can match your preferences/habits in such a way that you don't realize you are being manipulated (because it is personalized), they've really got you. Especially since this whole setup is intended for those who don't want to take full personal control of their experience.

RunDMV
03-12-2015, 07:17 PM
How is what I said a false statement? One of the primary dislikes about the new system is that it limits the number of fastpasses people can get. There are plenty of people who openly say "I won't wait in any line over 30 minutes." To that I say it's crazy to go to an amusement park and not be willing to wait in lines.

Because the biggest argument against FP+ is the incessant planning.

Tekneek
03-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Because the biggest argument against FP+ is the incessant planning.

When it comes to being in the parks, I like being able to have multiple plans and decide which one to go with depending on the day. You can still do that, but you're automatically behind everybody who locked up spots 60 days out (instead of just being behind whomever beat you to the parks that day). It is the same way w/ ADRs. Losing slots 179 days out is a real drag. It was nice when you could schedule Priority Seating the same day (often no more than 1 day in advance).

Park Hopper
03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
To me, the real tragedy is that Disney is spending billions and probably the time/resources of their best imagineers on how to bleed every last cent out of the people that are visiting, rather than spending billions and the effort on new and exciting attractions (like Universal) that would bring in more customers.

I used to resent Universal for having such a chip on their shoulder against Disney, but really, they are now the leaders in innovative new rides and theaming. I have not seen the numbers, but I would love to see a comparison on their return on investment for what they spent on the Harry Potter attractions vs. Disney's return that can be attributed to the FP+.

There are great things about the Magic Bands. I love how convenient they are, but I really think the Fast Pass Plus system is seriously flawed. And, others can argue, but I will tell you what it has meant to my family (which is all that really matters after all, when it comes to your vacation time).

We love Disney, go every year, are DVC members. However, I can tell you that planning for the trips has now become a chore, rather than fun. I think the Dinning Plan and reservations 180 days out has destroyed the uniqueness and fun of the restaurants - they are now more generic across the board. For us FP+ is now greatly diminishing the fun of the parks. We will still go, but for less time and maybe not every year. It is just not as fun anymore when you have to plan every last detail of the trips, your day is regimented by your FP+ times, and now rides which you used to be able to walk on require waiting.

As for us, our spending at Disney is decreasing every year and our spending on other attractions in the Orlando area increasing (we are somewhat indifferent to Harry Potter, but you cannot deny that those attractions are enjoyable). I do realize that we are not the demographic that Disney cares about, but I think they are travelling down a dangerous path in damaging their repeat visitor business, while other parks are becoming more attractive to new customers.

Dulcee
03-17-2015, 12:07 PM

Actually psychology does support this. Give people 10 choices and say pick 1 and they walk away with more feelings of regret then if you say here are 3 choices, pick 1. There are many studies looking into just that. (If your interested check out the book paradox of choice or Google the Ted talk)

I've said it from the beginning, the system was never targeted at the disney guru who goes 4 times a year and knows all the ins and outs of the parks. Its targeted at the family of 4 who has waited for the perfect time in their life to take their kids on the once in a lifetime disney vacation. And for them, its working.

baldburke
03-17-2015, 02:00 PM
To me, the real tragedy is that Disney is spending billions and probably the time/resources of their best imagineers on how to bleed every last cent out of the people that are visiting, rather than spending billions and the effort on new and exciting attractions (like Universal) that would bring in more customers.

Agreed! I'd rather the money be spent on two or three fresh ideas/attractions for each park (except maybe MK). AK, DHS and Epcot all have plenty of room for development. I guess they don't need to spend until ticket sales decline?

BTW...welcome to Intercot Park Hopper!

DizneyRox
03-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Agreed! I'd rather the money be spent on two or three fresh ideas/attractions for each park (except maybe MK). AK, DHS and Epcot all have plenty of room for development. I guess they don't need to spend until ticket sales decline?

BTW...welcome to Intercot Park Hopper!
The first question most business's ask is "What's the ROI?"

No ROI, then projects get tabled for something that has one (or a better one). NextGen had an ROI, but it quickly faded away. There's often a few check points during a project where you can bail on it without it costing you your shirt. This one got too far before the over runs were identified and at that point you just shove it in and try to milk as much out of it as you can. Usually there's a few people who also lose their jobs. Let's hope...

AndrewJackson
03-17-2015, 04:24 PM
I thought the article was very well written. There was quite a bit of insider info regarding the development that was news to me.

I guess I am in the minority regarding Magic Bands. I''ve been going to WDW since 1974, and know the ins and outs. I like the Magic Bands and FP+. It has changed the way we vacation and how we visit the parks, but the last two "Magic Band" vacations have been some of our best vacations yet.

RunDMV
03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Id like to sit down and talk with this fool Skaggs. Id steer him from his balliwick of ROI, cost of capital, etc.

What does he even know about Disneyworld? Can he name one hidden mickey? Can he tell you what attraction has a key under the mat? Does he where a crown floats over Cinderella's head if you look at it just the right way? Does he have a clue what icot is? Has he ever been on a 10 vacation to Disney with a family of four and toured like every other "normal" family without all the perks and hookups of a Disney exec?

Skaggs does not care if the return guests returns. As long as there is a never ending flow of first/last time visitors dropping thousands of dollars a trip without the historical knowledge of what Disney used to be, he will not spend a dime to attract return guests.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-17-2015, 09:35 PM
So after reading the article, I am wondering if the secret building at DHS where all of this planning, designing and mocking-up occurred has turned out to be the same building that Toy Story Mania is about to expand into with its third track?

The article mentioned that the "thermostat" controlling TSM's air temperature also controlled the classified MDE room(s).

Just a thought.

DizneyRox
03-17-2015, 11:07 PM
So after reading the article, I am wondering if the secret building at DHS where all of this planning, designing and mocking-up occurred has turned out to be the same building that Toy Story Mania is about to expand into with its third track?

The article mentioned that the "thermostat" controlling TSM's air temperature also controlled the classified MDE room(s).

Just a thought.
Did it say DHS? I assumed most of the "imagineers" were in CA and the testing happened out on the left coast.

AndrewJackson
03-18-2015, 06:27 AM
Did it say DHS? I assumed most of the "imagineers" were in CA and the testing happened out on the left coast.

That's how I read it, that they were in an abandoned building at HS, where TSM is being expanded.

I suppose it gave them the opportunity to experience the parks as they looked for "barriers" to remove.

DisneyGiant
03-18-2015, 01:53 PM
I've said it from the beginning, the system was never targeted at the disney guru who goes 4 times a year and knows all the ins and outs of the parks. Its targeted at the family of 4 who has waited for the perfect time in their life to take their kids on the once in a lifetime disney vacation. And for them, its working.

It is really working? Do you know how many co-workers, friends & family members I've had to coach to get them to use the process successfully? (Rhetorical, Sardonic question - as its been about 4 ) :)

My point being - its not that intuitive or easy to use. And it forces people to pay for the tickets ahead of time - so maybe it saves staffing at Guest Relations? Though last year there was a line there about 20 minutes long....... (MK)

I still want 5 fast passes a day to make me content :mickey: Yes I am a broken record.......

magicofdisney
03-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Just a thought.
That is correct. The article was updated to say it was a building near TSM, or possibly attached to such.