PDA

View Full Version : Dinner in Mexico. Which Restaurant?

MrPeetrie
03-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Looking to make ADRs for a dinner in Mexico. Do you prefer La Hacienda de San Angel? or San Angel Inn Restaurante? And why?

We've never eaten at either of these two locations. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

SBETigg
03-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Hacienda might have a slight edge for the food. San Angel Inn gets mixed reviews. However, I always enjoy San Angel Inn and the atmosphere is preferable for me to Hacienda by far. I don't know what it is, exactly, but dining at Hacienda feels a lot like a quick service environment to me (even though it isn't- it's table service).

TheVBs
03-11-2015, 07:09 AM
We ate at La Hacienda on our last trip and found that there just wasn't anything on the menu that excited us. We ended up ordering several appetizers and that worked out. We haven't eaten at San Angel for years, but our experiences there were always good. And, I agree that the atmosphere there is a lot better. Given a choice between the two I would book San Angel.

Pirate Granny
03-11-2015, 07:30 AM
I don't like Mexican food, but have eaten at both and can find something on the menu to eat. That said, San Angel has better atmosphere, but the other, if you time it right, you can sit and watch the fireworks...wonderful in my book as I tend to always be eating cinder when at the Rose and Crown during the fireworks!

TinkerbellT421
03-11-2015, 08:12 AM
We have eaten at both. But, we haven't eaten at Hacienda since the menu change so it has been quite a few years. For some reason I feel like it is crowded and I feel anxious cause I don't find it relaxing. A lot of hustle and bustle from others around me, I think. Hard to explain. It just makes me feel anxious and I do not enjoy it. They used to have a nice combo there which we had enjoyed but once they changed the menu nothing on the current menu seems to tickle my fancy.

This past January we actually ate at San Angel Inn, which was our first time...the food was great and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the atmosphere though as a party of two we were seated at an extremely small table where half of it was taken up by the candle lamp and we barely had room for both of our plates on the table at the same time, we made it work. Just felt a little cramped as a party of two. But that is really the only complaint I have about it. Again, the food was fantastic.

#1donaldfan
03-11-2015, 12:48 PM
The atmosphere is great at San Angel, the food and service was not good at all. We tried it twice and each time was a disappointment. :sick:

SurferStitch
03-13-2015, 12:41 PM
We've eaten at both.

San Angel - once - that was enough. Too crowded, insanely dark, and the food was just okay.

La Hacienda - Twice (and going again in December) - Fantastic food. DH and I got the Parrillada Del Mar (for two) dinner. Excellent seafood that's so huge we never finish it. We love the Queso Fundido and Gorditas appetizers, and will probably try Camarones a la Parrilla next time.

We've had the best margaritas EVER here, too... I love the Rosita Margarita , and DH loves the Mango Blueberry Basil Margarita.

MrPeetrie
03-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Thank you all for all of your input.

I think we will shoot for an 8:00 pm (or thereabouts) ADR at La Hacienda and hope to linger there for the fireworks.

Thanks again!

Maddie
04-30-2015, 08:36 AM
This is a tough one, San Angel is like PITCH black in there. It cant be frustrating, but a pretty cool atmosphere. The boat ride drives by and the music is playing loud! The food is not memorable though and I love Mexican food. Hacienda has been food but its like any old Mexican restaurant you can find at home because it is in the separate building.