PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' and Toy Story Expanding

Coleby
03-05-2015, 12:53 PM
So Disney finally announced on their blog that they are expanding Soarin' and TSMM by adding a new theater to Soarin' and a more track at TSM.

Said to be expected completion by end of 2016.

From Disney Parks Blog:

More Opportunities to Soar, Enjoy Toy Story Mania
Coming to Walt Disney World Resort

Here at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, we’re always making investments to exceed your expectations – whether it’s creating new attractions and entertainment or making existing experiences even better.

One of the things we’ve heard from our guests is that a visit to Walt Disney World Resort just isn’t complete without enjoying the spectacular views at Soarin’ in Epcot or a spin through Toy Story Mania! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Well, I’m excited to share that we are expanding both attractions by adding another theater at Soarin’ and more midway track at Toy Story Mania! We’ll also be updating the screens and projection system at Soarin,’ bringing a visually enhanced experience.

These expansions are expected to be complete by late 2016, offering even more opportunities for you to enjoy these beloved attractions during your Walt Disney World Resort vacation.

Speedy1998
03-05-2015, 12:55 PM
So Disney finally announced on their blog that they are expanding Soarin' and TSMM by adding a new theater to Soarin' and a more track at TSM.

Said to be expected completion by 2016.

Are they updating the Soarin' video at the same time?

Strmchsr
03-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Are they updating the Soarin' video at the same time?

Yes, but that has not been officially announced (though they started filming the new movie last spring). Right now all they are announcing is the theater expansion and upgrades to the screens and projection system.

And just a small correction - both of these are said to be finished by LATE 2016, not by 2016.

Coleby
03-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Yes, but that has not been officially announced (though they started filming the new movie last spring). Right now all they are announcing is the theater expansion and upgrades to the screens and projection system.

And just a small correction - both of these are said to be finished by LATE 2016, not by 2016.

Whoops, updated it. Thank you!

PopPhan
03-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Wonder when they will be taking these attractions "down" for the rehabs....

It is good to know that Soarin' will be getting a little love and that they are expanding TSMM.

DizneyFreak2002
03-05-2015, 01:19 PM
TSMM is currently behind construction walls BTW... and work on the third theater began some time last year with land clearing and prep... I guess construction will begin soon...

Coleby
03-05-2015, 01:29 PM
TSMM is currently behind construction walls BTW... and work on the third theater began some time last year with land clearing and prep... I guess construction will begin soon...

I knew I love intercot for a reason!

Bethis26fan
03-05-2015, 02:13 PM

I am wondering the same thing

Goofy4TheWorld
03-05-2015, 03:43 PM

My guess is never. For both attractions they are essentially building a second/third independent attraction, and those new additions will only share the queue area.

My guestimation is that Soarin theater 2 will be opened with the new Soarin 2.0 movie, and that theater 1 will then be closed to upgrade that theater to be identical to theater 2, then theater 1 will be opened back up shoping movie 2.0

As for TSM, my understanding was that the third track was literally in a separate building, so I would think that the two buildings will be tied together with little disruption and no closures.

DizneyRox
03-05-2015, 03:52 PM
And still the Yeti sits... Broken...

AndrewJackson
03-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Granted, these rides are popular. However, the real issue is FP+, tiering, and the lack of a sufficient number of E tickets type rides at EP and HS.

This is a start, but this announcement should be an asterisk to a large expansion/upgrade at both parks.

manutd1
03-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Great news!! We always do Toy Story mania immediately upon entry and have never waited more than 15 min. But, any expansion is a good thing:thumbsup:

Melanie
03-05-2015, 04:25 PM
granted, these rides are popular. However, the real issue is fp+, tiering, and the lack of a sufficient number of e tickets type rides at ep and hs.

This is a start, but this announcement should be an asterisk to a large expansion/upgrade at both parks.

This. :yes:

GMRO
03-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Yea for sure...

Least some of us are part of the elite group that rode EE in the first few years when the Yeti was FULLY ANIMATED! IT was awesome - BUT - I still enjoy the ride with it not-moving. Heck the eagle used to move too.

Soar'n I'm all IN...but TSM...I just don't get the BIG deal. Not a big fan of it. Back in the day we got to do a test ride or 2 prior to the opening. We were walking thru the park and 2 CM's said hey wanna try this new ride? SURE - we did but I don't even remember telling our WDW friends once we got home if it was KEWL or not. Ya we like the TS movies but the constant YANKING on that cannon string...REALLY?!?!? I'm over it and the nonsense/effort it takes to get on it at all.

Mr. Smee
03-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Where do I start the "Save Patrick" campaign?

Pally
03-05-2015, 05:49 PM
To me, almost two years to complete. Really! Why announce it so early. It just makes it seem so long and drawn out. Just getting worn out with the seemingly indefinite waits for anything being done by Disney.

Coleby
03-05-2015, 07:16 PM
To me, almost two years to complete. Really! Why announce it so early. It just makes it seem so long and drawn out. Just getting worn out with the seemingly indefinite waits for anything being done by Disney.

Well if you go from the official announcement to projected end which is the end of 2016 you are looking at a year and half which isn't much better, but if they are able to complete it sooner then they look better. To me it is much better than the announcement they made for Avatar land :rolleyes:

But that is just my opinion

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
03-06-2015, 01:43 AM
Disney definitely can't take criticism. They took down my post on their blog. I blasted them for letting Epcot attractions rot away. Another theater for Soarin' is stupid. Build a new attraction or update a current one. New attractions will decrease the line at Soarin'.

BrerGnat
03-06-2015, 07:03 AM
To me, this is like adding extra lanes to highways. It doesn't actually help the overcrowding situatuon, it just encourages more people to go that way.

Agree that more new attractions are needed! There is plenty at both Epcot and DHS that could use updating or replacements.

Melanie
03-06-2015, 08:01 AM
To me, this is like adding extra lanes to highways. It doesn't actually help the overcrowding situatuon, it just encourages more people to go that way.

Agree that more new attractions are needed! There is plenty at both Epcot and DHS that could use updating or replacements.

I have to pretty much agree with you here, Nat, although one recent comparison is Dumbo, where it did help.

BrerGnat
03-06-2015, 08:03 AM
I have to pretty much agree with you here, Nat, although one recent comparison is Dumbo, where it did help.

Yes, but Dumbo was a low capacity, cycle attraction. Totally different animal.

Melanie
03-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Yes, but Dumbo was a low capacity, cycle attraction. Totally different animal.

I knew I should have added that it was like apples to oranges. ;)

BrerGnat
03-06-2015, 08:07 AM
I also think that they could have simply added that indoor circus play queue and kept just one Dumbo ride and that would have made a huge difference on its own.

texas211
03-07-2015, 09:35 AM

There is a yeti?

If I didn't watch WDW videos and youtube b/w trips, I wouldn't even remember/know there was one.

So, I'm just happy when any ride gets cleaned up. I've thought for a long time, Soarin is as close to perfect, but the screen was too crackly when you think about the fact I have HD on my cell phone.

I look forward to it. Hopefully it'll look as sharp as Star Tours did after it's mods.