PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney Imagineering Releases New 'World of AVATAR' Concept Art

Figment!
02-27-2015, 08:04 PM
The Walt Disney World resort has released further concept art for the "AVATAR" project at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The new art gives a striking image of how Guests may encounter 'floating mountains' in the park's forthcoming expansion.

Latest Rendering Released as Disney Continues Design Work on the World of AVATAR

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
February 26, 2015

The creative, collaborative process continues on a multi-year project as Disney’s Animal Kingdom brings to life Pandora, based on the blockbuster film AVATAR. Disney recently welcomed acclaimed director James Cameron to offices in Glendale, Calif. for a status report. Disney’s creative teams collaborating with the artists and designers at Lightstorm are focused on all the land’s iconic elements — from the magnificent floating mountains to the interactive bioluminescent forest, and even to the soaring banshees. The AVATAR-inspired land will be part of the largest expansion in Disney’s Animal Kingdom history at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.(Concept art, Walt Disney Imagineering)

BrerGnat
02-27-2015, 08:18 PM
This does nothing for me. I think it looks like an ugly jumble of under brush. I really have no desire to see this land.

SteveL
02-27-2015, 09:28 PM
AVATAR jus.t seems like old n.ews to me.

mickeyman42
02-28-2015, 07:12 AM
I don't get it, I'm sure this will work out in the end because at the end of the day its not going to matter to me if the section of the park is suppose to be Pandora, a jungle or something else; if the rides and attractions are worth riding, I'll ride them. People arn't going to skip the section because they didn't like Avatar, in fact I bet when the Soarin type ride opens, FP's will be impossible to get for a long time, again, not because its Avatar but because its a new ride.

that said, this concept art does nothing for me, but again, they could make "John Carter land" and people are going to go, even if they arn't blown away with the theme

tiggerbuddy
02-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Ugly & stupid...No interest at all

TheVBs
02-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Um... that picture looks kind of like a mess to me. But, having not seen the movie, I don't really know what I'm looking at. I guess I'll have to wait and see it in person.

Tekneek
02-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Not particularly excited about it, but if they do it right then it will be good for everyone. I hope they do some mind blowing things that actually keep working beyond the first 6 months. Amazing attractions and experiences should sell themselves, without requiring that you really know and study the source content (from a guest perspective). If I have to be a nut about Avatar in order to have a good time, then they've missed the mark.

John
02-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Wow - what a bunch of negative nellies you all are. Are you that jaded? :confused:

Reserving judgment till I see it in person. The video online seemed interesting but I'm still having a hard time visualizing how this "land" will come together.

Honestly, I have no doubt it will look great - but the question is, will it have repeat factor for me or will it keep me in that park for more than a half day.

John
02-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Here is the short promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQm4B2UYGY8

Tekneek
02-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Wow - what a bunch of negative nellies you all are. Are you that jaded? :confused:

I'm concerned you will have to be a superfan of Avatar to enjoy it at all and/or there will be impressive effects that will break 6 months after launch that will largely go unfixed forever.

goofy for pluto
02-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Honestly I kind of wish we didn't know everything about what they are doing, it gives everyone a chance to form an opinion before they even experience the results.
I think a new area of Animal Kingdom with a few new rides will be a good addition and for those upset that it isn't showcasing real animals, I don't see it as that much different than the Beastly Kingdom idea.
One of my favorite experiences in Epcot is the glowing sidewalk panels. So more of that type of
detail in the parks is something I welcome. :mickey:

cer
02-28-2015, 05:17 PM

Reserving judgment till I see it in person. The video online seemed interesting but I'm still having a hard time visualizing how this "land" will come together.

Honestly, I have no doubt it will look great - but the question is, will it have repeat factor for me or will it keep me in that park for more than a half day.

I don't feel like I am negative about what they are doing - just not really interested. My disinterest in this has to do with Avatar, not Disney and also with the fact that they are taking so long. I think there is even a part of me that has even prepared for this to not come to fruition. I do love AK. I thought the video showed some really intriguing and beautiful things.

I am excited that AK is upping its nighttime presence - no doubt they are hoping you will stay for not only the front part of the day but also the back end.

JerseyDad
02-28-2015, 06:51 PM
...Avatar is something that just doesn't "scream" ...DISNEY.

....so ...I couldn't care less. (unless it funnels tons of park goer traffic in its direction ...and frees up other attractions for me...)

DizneyRox
02-28-2015, 07:07 PM
... there will be impressive effects that will break 6 months after launch that will largely go unfixed forever.

This... WDW has shown this to be SOP. See Avatarland early is you want to see it as the Imagineers intended.

BrerGnat
02-28-2015, 07:31 PM
I don't feel like I am negative about what they are doing - just not really interested. My disinterest in this has to do with Avatar, not Disney and also with the fact that they are taking so long. I think there is even a part of me that has even prepared for this to not come to fruition. I do love AK. I thought the video showed some really intriguing and beautiful things.

I am excited that AK is upping its nighttime presence - no doubt they are hoping you will stay for not only the front part of the day but also the back end.

Ditto this whole post. I just don't care. At all. Avatar is just not something that holds an iota of interest for me.

I will compare Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I loved it because I loved the books and movies BUT if I had NO knowledge of or interest in HP, I would probably not care to ever go there either. And I can say with certainty that people who visit HP land(s) with NO knowledge of the IP will just not like it the same way a true fan will. The rides are good but they really do depend on having familiarity with the story and characters or they don't make any sense.

It is one thing to make one ride based on a movie. A whole land is another thing completely and I just don't really think the interest in Avatar is substantial across the board. And, really, another Soarin knockoff and a boat ride just hold no appeal to me, especially because the subject matter of those rides will be Avatar. I really don't want to even visit this land, although if it ends up getting rave reviews I will probably relent.

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2015, 07:45 PM
I woudn't say that with such certainty Nat... I know plenty of people who aren't HP fans, didn't see any of the movies or read the books and still loved and enjoyed BOTH sections of the Wizarding World..

A well down, well themed land with well done, fun attractions will bring in guests and crowds, no matter the IP... yes, IP helps, but if the rides and land are spectacular, the crowds will be there...

As for Avatar, we know one ride will be a C ticket boat ride (been there done that) and Soarin Over Pandora.. Only difference, may be in 3D and have a little extra movement in the ride vehicles... Otherwise, its the same ride as Epcot... Doesn't exactly scream WOW I NEED TO SEE THAT... The land will be more of the attraction than the actual attraction, that is, until things stop working and Park Ops refuse to pay to fix it...

BrerGnat
02-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Yes, I know many people love HP land without being fans but there are also plenty of people (like my husband) who just have NO interest in it and thus won't bother. But HP lands are REALLY visually appealing even without rides and the shops and restaurants are unique and GOOD. So, I get how people enjoy it without being fans.

This artwork though? It isn't even nice, IMO. It isn't making me "ooh and ahh" or anything. And yeah, the rides sound like snoozers. If Disney was promising some ground breaking technologically mind blowing, unique attraction, I would be all in.

TinkerbellT421
02-28-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm reserving my opinion till I see it in person. Mostly because I don't want to be the hater that has to eat their words when they all of sudden start defending it by others because they love it so much after they bashed it.

Lizzy
03-01-2015, 01:11 PM
At this point, adding anything is better than taking away or replacing. But this section is taking so long to come to fruition, that the news about it seems so old.

Plus, I haven't let go of the fact that, I hated the movie. It was a huge disappointment. Disney could have written a whole new movie and made a whole new following for a new section in AK in the time it is taking to make this Avatar thing come to life. I would have loved a mystical "things that never were" area with dragons and unicorns and such.

I was just at AK on Friday. My DD (4) did not like all the walking trails. We tried it without the stroller because you can't point the stroller just right to see the animals. She loved the Safari and the Lion King show, but I think that taking her through a make believe land just to walk through glowing sidewalks and plants to ride different versions of rides we go on at other parks will just be even more of a disappointment for us.

I may sound like a negative nelly but I am just not excited about the area. Yay for adding stuff but lets add new stuff that is actually interesting

BrerGnat
03-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm reserving my opinion till I see it in person. Mostly because I don't want to be the hater that has to eat their words when they all of sudden start defending it by others because they love it so much after they bashed it.

I have no problem being proven totally wrong and eating my words. I will be thrilled if Disney somehow hits one out of the park with this land and it is a massive success.

I am far from the only person who feels negatively about this. Almost every post Disney makes on social media about this land is inundated with negative responses.

The stakes are high for this one.

DonaldDuck1117
03-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Well I went to Harry Potter at universal having never read a single line in a book, or having watched 1 second of any movie and guess what? I LOVED the land. Why? Because if was done extremely well and I am an amusement park fanatic. They built the land/rides in a way that I didn't have to have Harry Potter knowledge to enjoy the areas. After visiting I went back and read all the books.

I saw Avatar and it was ok. It was all about the visual effects and scenery. The actual story was pretty bland and has been told many times before. However that should lend itself to an amazing land built around scenery and splendor. Hopefully Disney isn't building the attractions around the actual story of Avatar, but rather the world of Avatar-the fictional planet of Pandora-and that's what it appears Disney is doing.

You won't have to be an Avatar fanatic to enjoy this new area. It should be a sensory overload. And you all will be there. You can say you will skip it but that simply won't be true. Disney is opening a new land I a park that desperately needs an infuse of new things, of course you are going to check it out.

DizneyFreak2002
03-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Well I went to Harry Potter at universal having never read a single line in a book, or having watched 1 second of any movie and guess what? I LOVED the land. Why? Because if was done extremely well and I am an amusement park fanatic. They built the land/rides in a way that I didn't have to have Harry Potter knowledge to enjoy the areas. After visiting I went back and read all the books.

BINGO!!!

I bet if you polled people coming off of Splash Mountain, half wouldn't have any idea it was from Song of the South... But it pulls in large crowds cause it is a great, well done, well themed ride...

Avatar/Pandora will be the same... As long as the land is well themed, and the rides are well worth it, the people will come...

Ian
03-01-2015, 09:15 PM
As long as the land is well themed, and the rides are well worth it, the people will come...Totally agree.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-01-2015, 10:01 PM
I look at the picture an am uninspired, but judgement will be reserved until the day I can visit the actual opened area. It is a picture of a concept. That's all, not a photo of the real thing. Why place so much judgement on the concepts that they have carefully allowed to be released? I get that the powers that be have missed the mark on our side of the continent, but it is my understanding (from a friend in Cali with APs) that they didn't miss so much on the CA expansion.

PopPhan
03-02-2015, 10:21 AM

....so ...I couldn't care less. (unless it funnels tons of park goer traffic in its direction ...and frees up other attractions for me...)

I honestly got a bit of a laugh at this.....Are you a fan of Lights, Motors, Action at DHS? How Disney is that?

There are a lot of things that aren't "Disney" around the parks, but fit in the park that they are put into. AvatarLand/Pandora is a good fit for Animal Kingdom in that it 1) fits the conservation theme; 2) fits the animal - living, extinct, or mythical - theme of the park; 3) highlights the Imagineers abilities to come up with new ideas and new technology to bring about a theme. To me, this is ALL Disney!

I agree with John in that I will hold my tongue until I can actually see how this develops.

Stu29573
03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Meh.

That is all...feel free to continue your day.

SurferStitch
03-02-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm actually looking forward to the Avatar land addition. I think Disney knows what kind of pressure they are under to do something groundbreaking, and I have faith that they will make Pandora look amazing.

I am most looking forward to the bioluminescent forest. That will look beautiful at night.

We liked the movie, and thought the visual effects were incredible. I think Avatar is the perfect addition to AK, and will draw the guests in.

I'm actually quite shocked at the amount of negativity and/or just plain apathy toward this project from people here. You're finally getting something new at AK (which is relevant to the park), and pretty big to boot... give it a chance.

TheVBs
03-02-2015, 03:20 PM
LOL! I wasn't trying to be a negative nellie about the whole thing. I was just underwhelmed by the artwork. Usually, Disney's concept art makes me go "Ooo!" In fact, I believe one for Avatar got that reaction out of me some time back.

Like I said before, I plan on reserving judgement until we experience it. It's hard to get excited about Avatar as a concept, because I haven't seen the movie. I've seen a few stills, and if done right, without a need to know the story to enjoy the land, I'm sure it will be great. Certainly new stuff in the parks gets me excited. :mickey:

Patricia
03-02-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm just happy they are adding anything. I love AK and am one of the few that can spend a whole day in there. Sadly, my other half has a problem with animals in captivity.

(Other half at the mere suggestion of going to AK ------> :blah:)

So, I can only get in there during ICOT meets.
(When are we all going again?? :mickey:)

Disneyland's attractions such as Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Monorail, Flying Saucers, Tiki Room, etc. were not "Disney" and most Disney animated movies were retellings of an older story that Disney bought the rights to. Just like Avatar. For instance, when I was a kid, I read The Little Mermaid and Beauty And The Beast (several times) loonggg before they were animated by Disney. Because of that, I still never think of LM or B&TB as Disney, but I like the movies and the attractions.

I'm looking forward to seeing Avatarland and hope they do it right. :fingers: I have no idea what the Avatar movie is about nor do I care to see it, but I'm happy to see something new in a WDW park.

I have no idea what Harry Potter is about nor do I care to see those movies or read the books, but I do look forward to going to Universal some day to see the land. It looks very cool. As a matter of fact, I recall most people were upset that Disney didn't buy the rights to the HP franchise.. Therefore, I never understand the "Not very Disney" argument. :confused:

Tekneek
03-02-2015, 06:07 PM
It isn't a lack of confidence in WDI that I have, it is a lack of confidence in WDW/TDO to properly maintain whatever WDI delivers. I am not particularly excited about the source material, but left to do their best WDI could probably make anything worth checking out. They could deliver their best work ever, though, and it would all be for naught if WDW/TDO just lets it fall apart and is content to have guests visit a rundown section of the park indefinitely. Even if WDI delivered something so cool that most guests cannot tell it is in a state of disrepair, intentionally running it that way is bad show and they have a well established track record of doing just that.

MrPeetrie
03-06-2015, 09:28 AM
BINGO!!!

I bet if you polled people coming off of Splash Mountain, half wouldn't have any idea it was from Song of the South... But it pulls in large crowds cause it is a great, well done, well themed ride...

Avatar/Pandora will be the same... As long as the land is well themed, and the rides are well worth it, the people will come...

Well said! Do it well, people will come!

tjstrike
03-19-2015, 03:07 AM
I'm all in, big Disney and Avatar fan so it's a win-win for me !! I hope after the avatar park is done they build an avatar themed DVC resort with the big blue people running around and floating bungalows on rocks in the sky !! :D

P.S - I think Avatar is just as much Disney as Star wars, marvel, Indiana jones, Etc...

Buttercup
04-06-2015, 01:36 AM
I have no problem with "non Disney movie" ideas in the parks. I'm a big fan of the attractions that aren't Disney IP. But something... SOMETHING... about Avatar the movie itself just irks me. I can't put my finger on it. Yes I saw the movie and yes it was extremely lame and predictable. But I don't think that's what bugs me the most about it coming to AK.
I think what bugs me most is this. Of ALL the things Disney could do, of ALL the things they could come up with, they go with a sub-par movie franchise that has almost no fan loyalty and decided to toss it haphazardly into Animal Kingdom.
I feel let down.
I feel disappointed, in the similar way that folks feel let down as Frozen is plopped into Epcot. Sure, it may end up being a good ride. But it feels like Disney is out of new ideas and just doesn't care anymore. That's what bugs me. Rehashing old rides with James Cameron's ideas... What happened to Disney being a creative leader?
Yeah, if the rides are awesome I'm sure I will queue up for them now and again. But it wI'll be because, well, there's nothing better to do.

Katzateer
04-06-2015, 08:48 AM
I think there will be many interesting things about this new addition to AK. Avatar is not my favorite but I liked it. The storyline is very good and I like the environmental messages.

We experienced a night light show at Longwood Gardens during a recent summer. The different lights and types of lighting were very magical and we really enjoyed all the different areas the artist set up. I think this new area at AK will be like that in some ways. I can't wait to see what Disney Imagineers do.

Not thrilled with the mountains in the sky artwork but maybe the final product will be more like being in the clouds.

baldburke
04-06-2015, 12:30 PM
P.S - I think Avatar is just as much Disney as Star wars, marvel, Indiana jones, Etc...

Except that Star Wars and Marvel are now owned by Disney. Avatar was released by 20th Century Fox. I'm not sure about Indy as it was released by Paramount of Lucasfilm so I don't know if the franchise was included with the 2012 Disney/Lucas deal. Regardless, both Indy and Avatar had great directors with great stories.

Aurora
04-06-2015, 10:40 PM
I think what bugs me most is this. Of ALL the things Disney could do, of ALL the things they could come up with, they go with a sub-par movie franchise that has almost no fan loyalty and decided to toss it haphazardly into Animal Kingdom.

I understand your feelings, but I believe you're wrong about the movie having no fan base. I think its problem is that it was released more than five years ago, and the next movie won't be coming out for another two years.

As far as fans, Avatar is the all-time top grossing movie in the United States. Ever. Adjusted for inflation, it's 14th. For those kinds of numbers, there have to be an awful lot of people who liked it.

As for the art, it's a little strange, but interesting and intriguing, I think. I'm hopeful that Disney can tap into Pandora's mystery and bring some of that magic back.

DizneyRox
04-07-2015, 06:59 AM
But it feels like Disney is out of new ideas and just doesn't care anymore. That's what bugs me. Rehashing old rides with James Cameron's ideas... What happened to Disney being a creative leader?
It's been like that for a while... Pretty much happened right after they 'finished' AK and laid off most of their imagineers. They haven't been a leader in quiet some time. Universal has been the one pushing in Central Florida for a while, Disney is playing catch up.

BrerGnat
04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
It's been like that for a while... Pretty much happened right after they 'finished' AK and laid off most of their imagineers. They haven't been a leader in quiet some time. Universal has been the one pushing in Central Florida for a while, Disney is playing catch up.

I would argue that Universal is playing catch up. They are doing a bang up job of it too. Disney better get their act together or they will lose even more people to Universal Orlando every year.

Jll3Sonex
04-07-2015, 02:26 PM
I'd like to see them playing catch-up a bit faster.

They've got interesting intellectual property that could be used - Wall-E, for example, in a dark-ride that runs you through the levels of the Axiom. Or the world of Big Hero Six. (Heck, imagine the marketing on Baymax alone...)

I understand that development's expensive, but the cost of NOT developing new experiences will be a lot more in the long run...

disneypastor
04-10-2015, 10:28 AM
I just don't understand investing that kind of money in a lukewarm franchise.
There's been ONE film released to date...the next one may flop.

Why not invest in something that has some "teeth"? Something that's proven?

They could've pushed Star Wars land to the front burner...a franchise that has mass following and appeal. Or actually built a REAL "Pixar Place".
My opinion is that DHS needed a lot more work than AK.
Avatar isn't the draw that Harry Potter or Star Wars is. Those franchises have cult followings. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say "Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!"

:shake:

KODABEAR
04-10-2015, 06:15 PM
:drum::: Always interested in something new!

WiltonJohn
04-11-2015, 11:10 AM
I can't say I've ever heard anyone say "Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!"

:shake:

Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!

Pandora is a potential visual feast right up Disney's alley, particularly for night time (missing area for AK). Environmentalism and conservation fits the theme of Animal Kingdom. Avatar was a serious money-maker. Disney plans to release a new movie almost right at the time of the new area of the park.

It all fits.

best,

...................john

PopPhan
04-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!

Pandora is a potential visual feast right up Disney's alley, particularly for night time (missing area for AK). Environmentalism and conservation fits the theme of Animal Kingdom. Avatar was a serious money-maker. Disney plans to release a new movie almost right at the time of the new area of the park.

It all fits.

best,

...................john

Well said! I agree completely. :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
04-21-2015, 09:16 PM
I guess I don't understand how people can say that it doesn't have a following. Has anyone ever actually researched and seen the records it actually broke? Okay, it didn't hit Frozen records, but it made a boat load of money. And does actually have a huge following including super fan fiction stories all over the internet, a huge appearance at comic con's and such. Just because some Disney fans didn't like the movie, doesn't mean it never grew an outside Disney fan base.

BrerGnat
04-21-2015, 09:46 PM
I guess I don't understand how people can say that it doesn't have a following. Has anyone ever actually researched and seen the records it actually broke? Okay, it didn't hit Frozen records, but it made a boat load of money. And does actually have a huge following including super fan fiction stories all over the internet, a huge appearance at comic con's and such. Just because some Disney fans didn't like the movie, doesn't mean it never grew an outside Disney fan base.

Yeah, but it doesn't have a pop culture following HERE. It has not permeated through several levels of age brackets. Kids don't know what the heck it is and most adults just don't care that much about it. My parents didn't see it. My kids didn't see it. I didn't see it. My husband did and he hated it. Most people either have no idea what it is all about or just don't really care because it was NOT a huge "thing", at least here in America. Avatar land would have been FAR better received if it was going into one of Disney's Asia parks. Remember that the majority of the world population resides in Asia. Those overseas box office numbers are due to HUGE interest in the Asian market. For whatever reason, this film was huge over there.

My major gripe is that with ALL the material in its canon, Disney instead chose to partner up on such a bizarre movie choice to host an entire land. It really just smacks of a knee jerk reaction to the Harry Potter collaboration that Disney lost out on because they wouldn't give Rowling creative control. It comes off like a pathetic attempt to try and one up.

DonaldDuck1117
04-21-2015, 11:58 PM
And yet the rides, and land will be packed when opened.

DizneyFreak2002
04-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Avatar is still the number one movie all time movie at the box office... Frozen didn't come close... Avatar did 2.7 billion total box office, Frozen 1.3 billion total box office... Furious 7 is about to pass Frozen... SO Avatar actually surpassed Frozen... It can be said Frozen never hit Avatar records... In fact, as successful as Frozen was, it didn't break any records according to Box Office Mojo... only records it has, and they are minor in my opinion, is All Time Thanksgiving 3 Day Opening and All Time Thanksgiving 5 Day Opening...

Avatar and Avengers appear on that list many times...

DizneyFreak2002
04-22-2015, 01:22 AM
And yet the rides, and land will be packed when opened.
And you will be correct...

Again, IP doesn't make a lick of difference (ok it does to a certain extent but not to the extent that people think)... Do a well made land, well themed, with state of the art attractions in which people want to go on, and people will come... Cheap out, and you have a recipe for failure, no matter the IP...

DonaldDuck1117
04-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Exactly. And I am very hopeful Dusney is going to create an immersive environment. AK needs it.

DizneyFreak2002
04-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Exactly. And I am very hopeful Dusney is going to create an immersive environment. AK needs it.
They will... I have no doubt in my mind Imagineering and Cameron will build one heck of a land... The issue is Park Ops getting control of it.. That is when things tend to go to the dumper LOL...

seanyred
04-25-2015, 11:54 AM
They will... I have no doubt in my mind Imagineering and Cameron will build one heck of a land... The issue is Park Ops getting control of it.. That is when things tend to go to the dumper LOL...

Isn't Cameron investing some of his own money into this? If so I hope he can stop TDO from going cheap.

DonaldDuck1117
04-25-2015, 07:14 PM
I am hoping that Disney is finally responding to Universal. Disney basically say on their hands the last decade while Universal closed the gap. Granted, Disney was working on my magic+ but still. The Fantasyland expansion was very nice and the mind ride is all sorts of fun. Now we are getting Avatarland and Studios redo soon. Just my opinion but I think Disney has finally taken notice and is going to up their game.

DizneyFreak2002
04-25-2015, 07:24 PM
Isn't Cameron investing some of his own money into this? If so I hope he can stop TDO from going cheap.
Didn't hear anything about that... So I can't say Cameron is investing any of his own money into the land... Doubt it.. He'll be getting paid for the rights though... And I'm sure he has a nice little clause in the contract stating he gets a nice chunk of the merchandise profits... Though, not sure how much merchandise will be moved... Have to see what they sell first...

Cameron wanted a flying coaster... They aren't building it... If he was using some of his money, he would have gotten that flying coaster... I would think...

This is a project the big dogs in California are in charge of... Though budgets seems to have been slashed (typical in any project), what Imagineering is creating hasn't been skimped on too much...

I'm hoping Cameron has as much power over Disney as Rowling and WB has over Universal with Potter... Then Disney will be forced to fix things when they aren't working right...

Now, if only Cameron could force them to fix that yeti...

manutd1
04-25-2015, 08:04 PM

Ah....this is just 110% incorrect.
Avatar is 200% Disney...through and through...
It is and the next movie will also be one of the highest grossing movies of all time. Avatar land is going to be a major draw for Animal Kingdom. I don't see how someone could be a fan of Disney and not "get" or understand the movie or the new land being built. They go hand in hand. Its a no brainer.

PopPhan
04-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Let's make this a bit more interesting.....

3 Avatar movies coming up 2016, 2017 & 2018 and just this evening I saw a trailer for a new Cirque du Soleil show --- Toruk - The First Flight Inspired by James Cameron's Avatar.

I am thinking that Disney knew a lot more than they let on before starting on this Pandora project.

DonaldDuck1117
04-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Supposedly at first Disney was looking to just create one attraction based on the ride for Studios. Then after discussions Tom Staggs floated the idea of making it an immersive land with a conservation message in a park that desperately needed a boost.

I really hope Staggs is the one to take over for Iger. He seems to be one who understands that I order to make money, you need to spend money. I also think he was instrumental in getting the New Fantasyland redone after the initial plans were announced (a bunch of princess meet and greets). He is very different than Rasulo who likes to strip projects of budget and be extremely tight with finances.

Ms. Mode
05-07-2015, 10:09 AM
I think it looks like a gate.

I can't wait to walk through it. :thumbsup:

TheVBs
08-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Finally watched the movie! DH had seen it before, but this was the first time for the girls and I. Visually - WOW! I can certainly see how WDW can make an amazing looking land using scenes from the movie.

Plot-wise, I couldn't have been more underwhelmed. It couldn't have been more predictable, the dialog was cheesy. The final scene was a bit more exciting, but still predictable. I don't think I would have sat through the whole thing if Disney wasn't adding it to AK.

The girls really loved it and DH really enjoyed it - so, overall, we'll be excited to see the addition.