PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Group question - need help!

TheVBs
02-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Being a total FB newbie who had the audacity to start a FB group for the community to discuss a very hot, local topic, I've got some questions that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

First, I used to see how many people had viewed a post in the group and now that's gone. That was useful info that I'd like to be able to see. Did I do something (not that I messed with the settings or anything) to make that disappear? Did FB just remove the feature?

Second, we have one member who's posting prolifically. Any time she even has half a thought on something, she starts a new thread. Can FB threads be merged like forum threads can? Any suggestions for handling this diplomatically? I don't want this person to feel they're being shouted down, but valuable info is being pushed down the page by all of this posts.

As always, thanks in advance you wonderful people! :mickey:

SBETigg
02-24-2015, 12:22 PM
I don't know about groups, but I have a profile and a page (the page for business reasons). On the page, you can click a little arrow at the top of posts that pulls down a drop down menu where you can edit, delete, or Pin to Top. The Pin to Top is very handy because I can move relevant info to the top of the page, and I think they might have that for Groups too (if not, they should). Otherwise, everything posts in order. You can't really merge posts.

If it's a group, though, I'm not sure you can really gracefully manage it so that you're asking someone not to post frequently. As long as she's not posting offensive content or outside the group regulations, I think you might have to let her carry on. There are people like that in every area of social media, it seems. You could try to ask her to tone it down, but I think that will be met with unfortunate results (hurt feelings or an unintended kerfuffle).

As far as the feature where you can see who views posts, I imagine it is still there and maybe moved around somehow by FB. The FB Help area is great with answering questions like this. It's another drop down menu under an arrow on the header, far right side of page. But I do belong to groups, and I can see who has seen and responded to posts right on the posts, so I think you should be able to do so. Not sure what happened there for you.

TheVBs
02-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Thank you so much! I found the pin option you mentioned and pinned relevant info for an upcoming meeting. I figured that would be a good way to keep positive info at the top without looking like I was trying to censor anyone. That was one of the biggest issues, all of those posts were pushing the informative ones down, making them harder to find.

And, I believe you're exactly right. Any mention to this person would likely end badly. Although they (I'm not sure if it's a he or a she now because I've realized it's a combined hubby/wife name) had a bit of a fit, claiming that there was no real discussion going on. When in reality, there was, they just didn't like that everyone else disagrees with them.

Oh well! I figure things will settle down. And, good or bad, all the activity is probably drawing more attention to the issue.

Thanks again!

TheVBs
02-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Aha! Thanks to your suggestion to check the help page, I found out that the "seen by" option disappears once your group hits 250 members. Stinky, but at least I know why it's gone. Thank you again!

SBETigg
02-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Aha! Thanks to your suggestion to check the help page, I found out that the "seen by" option disappears once your group hits 250 members. Stinky, but at least I know why it's gone. Thank you again!

Oh, that's a shame. Well, glad I could help anyway. The Pin to Top is a big help for me, too.

TheVBs
02-28-2015, 07:47 AM
The pin definitely seems to have helped!