PDA

View Full Version : How is the food at O'hanas or Kona Cafe?

mommy2maddi
02-22-2015, 02:11 AM
Want to try O'hana's or Kona Cafe on trip in April. Thoughts? I've heard the Tonga toast is amazing; not much of a sweets for breakfast person but other people in my party are. What is your opinion of either of them? Thanks in advance :mickey:

DizneyRox
02-22-2015, 06:06 AM
Not impressed with O'hana for breakfast. Don't get what the hype is about. Donald's breakfast at AK is outstanding though. Much the same breakfast foods you'll get everywhere else on property, with a few really nice treats.

Maleficent's Dad
02-22-2015, 06:30 AM
If you have people that like sweets, Tonga Toast is for them (assuming they like bananas too). It was way too sweet for me - basically battered in sugar and deep fried.

I like O'hana for breakfast, but I'm not a fan of their dinner (blaspheme, I know).

VWL Mom
02-22-2015, 07:11 AM
We like Kona for breakfast, the Tonga Toast is quite good but it is sweet. They do have enough choices on their menu to accommodate various tastes though. DS23 usually goes for Steak and Eggs, DH the Macadamia pancakes, and DS19 the Big Kahuna which has a little of everything on it. Me, the pressed pot coffee :cloud9:

Another good breakfast spot IMO is the Grand Floridian Cafe, they have a nice menu.

GAN
02-22-2015, 10:05 AM
We had a nice breakfast at Kona a couple weeks ago. My wife said her Eggs Benefict(The Samoan) was the best she ever had, and my egg-white omelet was excellent. We were actually surprised at how "reasonable" the prices were for what we got.

Kairi_7378
02-22-2015, 11:08 AM
If you're not much of a breakfast person, you might consider visiting Captian Cook's. (Quick service restaurant at the Poly.) Your big breakfast eaters can get Tonga Toast there, adn you can get something lighter. I know you could essentially do that at the restaurant as well, but I tend to order more than I want to when I am with others ordering big meals at a restaurant.

The two meals are very different. So if you want to have a quiet breakfast, I'd go with Kona or Captian Cook's. If you want characters, I'd visit O'hana (or take the suggestion for Donald's Breakfast.)

Scallywag
02-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Not sure about breakfast, but O'Hana is great for dinner.:thumbsup:

SBETigg
02-22-2015, 11:34 AM
'Ohana is a lot of fun. It's a set meal, family style service. There are songs and games for the kids, but adults on their own can dine in relative peace.

For breakfast, they bring out standard breakfast foods- eggs, potatoes, mickey waffles, fruit, etc. It's a character meal.

For dinner, there are several courses, and the meat on the skewers (the main event) can occasionally be dry, but the dessert is one of the most outstanding parts of the meal. Plenty of food, no one leaves hungry.

Kona is one of those places people will call an underrated favorite-- but I think it's overrated. I feel like I'm dining in a hotel lobby (essentially true) and the food has been lacking for me. I would give it a try for breakfast, but I've never been happy with my dinner (over salted, over-cooked, not the best service for me-- but others have had better experiences). I prefer the Grand Floridian Cafe for meals in that general vicinity.

Katzateer
02-23-2015, 07:45 AM
Love Kona's breakfast. I have gotten away from the tonga toast. The best bacon, coffee on site.:cloud9: My husband loves the fruit bowl. I don't enjoy buffets as I have gotten older and I enjoy cooling off at Kona for a relaxing meal. We have had great lunches and dinners there also. I don't think the waiters are the best but they get the job done. They also have wonderful iced tea and the bread served at dinner is something I look forward to all year.

We went to Grand Floridian Cafe one year as a walkin. I thought the food was wonderful but the service was horrible. I got a seating for the next trip and the food and experience was one of the worst of the trip. Haven't gone back.

Melanie
02-23-2015, 09:45 AM
I love Kona and Ohana for breakfast! Both are great.