PDA

View Full Version : AP & Magic Band Question

MrPeetrie
02-20-2015, 09:00 PM
We normally travel with APs and probably will again this year. Since it will be linked to our Magic Bands, I was wondering if the 10% discount at select locations will automatically be calculated. We routinely forget to ask if there's a discount available for passholders. Sometimes, a CM will forget to ask if we have an AP, as well, and we miss our discounts. It would be great if that was handled automatically. Anyone know the answer? Thanks in advance.

Fangorn
02-21-2015, 01:54 AM
No. AP discounts are not automatically applied. Even with the AP linked to your band, you still have to show them your AP card in order to be given the discount. No card, no discount. The systems are apparently not linked to the point where the store systems can see the ticket type on your band, and they have to scan the bar code on you AP card.

Steve

Melanie
02-21-2015, 09:03 AM
No. AP discounts are not automatically applied. Even with the AP linked to your band, you still have to show them your AP card in order to be given the discount. No card, no discount. The systems are apparently not linked to the point where the store systems can see the ticket type on your band, and they have to scan the bar code on you AP card.

Steve

Which is ridiculous!!!! Parking should also be on there.

Cass&KenziesMom
02-21-2015, 10:23 AM
This is good to know since we have AP's and will be going at the end of July. The CM's asking may get a little better though? We just got our AP bands in and they have sliders on them that say Passholder on them.

Fangorn
02-21-2015, 10:49 AM
The CM's asking may get a little better though?.

I wouldn't count on it. WDW doesn't seem to value itheir passholders the way Disneyland does. At DLR, you are asked at every transaction. At WDW, I have never, in dozens of trips, been asked if I'm a passholder.

Steve

Cass&KenziesMom
02-21-2015, 11:25 AM
We were asked when we went for Christmas. Granted not at every transaction but for a good bit of them and we didn't have our AP bands. Oh well.

DizneyRox
02-21-2015, 12:23 PM
WDW doesn't really like to advertise discounts I've noticed. AP, TiW, AAA, etc you pretty much have to know to ask.

VWL Mom
02-21-2015, 12:33 PM
I think the problem is they cannot differentiate whether you have an AP or an AP voucher. You MB only has an end date, not a beginning date. I bought DH an AP yesterday and it doesn't differentiate between voucher and ticket. Seems like something that could be easily fixed but in the meantime they are protecting themselves against those that try to beat the system by using the benefits before activation.

What I have noticed is that MB's now pick up DVC discounts. Both at WDW and DL I was asked for photo ID without even asking for a discount.

Fangorn
02-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Remember, that what you see or don't see on your MDE account is pretty much irrelevant to the truth. Not a single piece of your data is actually stored on your Magic Band. Your band is merely an RFID chip with a serial number on it. All you data; ticket type and usage, room, FP+, ADRs, credit card numbers, etc., are stored on Disney's servers. The bands only grant access to that data. That's why you can have multiple bands all active and capable of accessing the same data.

Disney certainly knows the difference between an AP voucher and the real thing. Serial numbers for vouchers have a different format than the real thing. Just try to get into a park with just a voucher linked to your MB. Not going to happen. Vouchers don't even have an end data that I'm aware of.

All the information that Disney needs to automatically apply discounts, parking and other perks of being a DVC member and/or AP holder they already have in their system. They've just chosen, for whatever reasons, to not connect those dots. And those reasons are certainly NOT technical in nature.

Steve