PDA

View Full Version : Peanut oil?

Guya103
02-15-2015, 04:56 PM
We have a family member that has a peanut allergy. We would like to dine at Nine Dragons and Lotus Blossom Cafe but want to make sure they don't use peanut oil.

Thanks!

crazygoalie39
02-15-2015, 06:55 PM
I have a peanut allergy and I just avoid these places, but you're best bet would be to call WDW and see if they can accommodate. They're always very knowledgable about these things and always clean everything before they cook my meals and keep them separate from everything else. In restaurants where nuts are used frequently though, no matter what they do, I wouldn't feel comfortable, but that's just me. My guess is they'll either say that they will do everything in their power, but can't guarantee anything or will recommend that you don't eat there.

Pirate Granny
02-16-2015, 07:38 AM
The cafe is a counter service, with no actual chef...I would not even consider taking a chance there.

Why would you insist on eating at the two places that most likely would have peanut anything?!?

There are lots of other good restaurants and counter services in EPCOT.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Your best bet is to contact WDW or the restaurants themselves and ask if the restaurants you wish to dine use peanut oil.

They might even have a list of all the restaurants on the property that do use peanut oil.

Kairi_7378
02-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Peanut allergies are relatively common, and I bet Disney gets this question every day. Call Guest Services, and see if they can provide a "safe" list of places to eat. (Or dishes at each restaurant.)

VWL Mom
02-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Were it me I would skip these based on the possibility of cross contamination. Peanut oil is used in most Chinese restaurants and woks are normally wiped rather than washed after each use to keep them seasoned. I don't think I'd take the chance.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-16-2015, 03:26 PM
I have a severe allergy to peanuts so I can appreciate the concern. As suggested, call WDW to be certain about their cooking methods.

On the other hand, I have eaten at Nine Dragons twice and had no allergic reaction so I am pretty sure that they don't use peanut oil. the last time I ate there was approximately 5 years ago.

Good luck.

Guya103
02-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the input. My brother that has the peanut allergy (along with a dozen other food allergies and dairy intolerance) eats Chinese regularly. We have been to many restaurants at WDW in the past and he has had reactions more than once because of ingredients that you can't see despite the allergies being noted on the reservation and the chef's assistance. Morocco, Italy andMexico are definite no's. I only asked about Nine Dragons and Lotus Blossom because he eats at PF Changs regularly and our local Chinese restaurant without any problem.

As peanut allergies are becoming more and more prevalent, restaurants have opted to use other oils for cooking. I am going to call them directly.

crazygoalie39
02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Morocco, Italy andMexico are definite no's.

Can I ask where in Italy you had a problem? I've eaten at Tutto Italia and Via Napoli in Italy and never thought anything of it.

Guya103
02-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Sure- my brother has severe tomato allergies as well. It was the tomato in Italy, not nuts.