PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants no more...

azcavalier
02-12-2015, 09:30 AM
So, with the post in the Rumors forum about the construction permit for the Adventureland Veranda restaurant, it got me to thinking.

I'd never heard of that restaurant. I've been going to WDW since 2001, and it had closed prior to that. I was totally unaware that had ever existed.

What other restaurants used to run in WDW that are now defunct? The only one I was aware of was the Odyssey building. That was a restaurant, right? Did the Golden Horseshoe ever serve food? I know a lot about defunct/shuttered attractions, but pretty much nothing about old restaurants.

faline
02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
There are a number of restaurants that have closed, moved, changed format and name etc over time.

Some that come to mind for me:
- Outer Rim at the Contemporary was once a full service sit-down dining establishment instead of the lounge it is now.
- Chef Mickey's used to be a very different restaurant - It was located at Downtown Disney right about where the Rainforest Cafe is now and was a love place for a sit-down breakfast - No characters appeared during the meal
- Top of the World was the restaurant located where California Grill is now. It was separated into two areas - Broadway at the Top - a dinner/musical show featuring performances and dancing.
- The Gulf Coast Room was also located at the Contemporary
- While not a restaurant, the Catwalk Bar was a lounge located in Disney Studios. It was a great place to have a drink and cool off on a hot day. Know the staircase by the restrooms for The Brown Derby? That staircase led upstairs to the Catwalk Bar.
- Cosmic Ray's used to be Tomorrowland Terrace
- Crockett's at Fort Wilderness used to be a full service sit-down restaurant instead of just a lounge as it is now
- Polly's on Tom Sawyer Island used to serve sandwiches and ice cream
- Concourse Steakhouse used to be located where the quick service restaurant is now

I know there's more but this is what I can think of now.

Scar
02-12-2015, 10:14 AM
"Restaurant Akershus" used to be one of the best restaurants on property until The Princesses ruined it.

Wayne
02-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Not sure when Adventureland Veranda closed, but I know that it was still open in the mid 80's. They served teriyaki burgers, salads and americanized versions of some oriental dishes (I think they were sponsored by Kikkoman). The place was pretty popular then. I think it's been a highest season only place for some time now.

The Diamond Horseshoe served chips, sandwiches and fresh-baked pies before the shows. It used to be that you had to make a reservation very early in the day to eat there and catch the vaudeville style show that was presented several times a day. Guess the bean counters killed it because the entertainment cost too much.

The Odyssey at Epcot is the biggest mystery to me. Good burgers, sandwiches and other offerings and a nice place to get out of the summer heat. Why it has been shuttered for so long in such a prominent location makes no sense.

eam
02-12-2015, 01:54 PM
"Restaurant Akershus" used to be one of the best restaurants on property until The Princesses ruined it.

Agreed. Also, Tangaroa Terrace at the Poly where Tonga Toast originated.

azcavalier
02-12-2015, 03:37 PM
OK, first off....1500th post! Yay!

Second, we love Akershus the way it is now! I love the salad bar (with so much more than salad), and the menu is pretty good. Did the menu change with the addition of princesses? Or are you guys just not happy with there being princesses (and all that comes with it...long lines/reservations hard to get, etc.)?

Polynesian Dweller
02-12-2015, 05:09 PM
OK, first off....1500th post! Yay!

Second, we love Akershus the way it is now! I love the salad bar (with so much more than salad), and the menu is pretty good. Did the menu change with the addition of princesses? Or are you guys just not happy with there being princesses (and all that comes with it...long lines/reservations hard to get, etc.)?

The menu changed. It used to be a full smorgasbord with a cold side and a hot side with some very Scandanavian fare. Enjoyed the food much more in those days myself. Just a character place now in comparison.

EpcotFan182
02-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Let's not forget Spoodles on the Boardwalk, it was replaced by Kouzzina which was then replaced by Trattoria al Forno. Spoodles was a favorite, I still miss it. :(

TheDuckRocks
02-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Let's not forget Spoodles on the Boardwalk, it was replaced by Kouzzina which was then replaced by Trattoria al Forno. Spoodles was a favorite, I still miss it. :(

Loved Spoodles, miss it for breakfast.
Hated Kouzzina's, not surprised it's gone.
Miss The Concourse Steakhouse.
Miss Boatwright's for sweet potato pancakes breakfast. Tried them at The Wave and they were pretty much awful. Greatly undercooked and couldn't find our waitress to send them back.

SBETigg
02-14-2015, 12:04 PM
California Grill used to be Top of the World and they had a dinner show, Broadway at the Top.

Fulton's used to be the Empress Lilly and it was the top tier restaurant at the time-- very elegant dining, and a character brunch on Sunday.

Papeete Bay Verandah used to be the main restaurant at the Polynesian Village. I remember having a buffet lunch there on my first visit, with a Pink Leilani (non alcoholic strawberry cocktail) that made me feel very grown-up. I was 12. It closed in 1994.

Citricos at the Grand Floridian started out as Flagler's.

Ariel's at the Beach Club is now just used as a meeting space/special events area, or maybe it's gone entirely.

Tutto Italia used to be Alfredo di Roma (from the original creator of Fettucine Alfredo)

Tempura Kiku was where Tokyo Dining is now, a tempura spot and bar area (Matsu No Ma Lounge).

Le Cellier used to be cafeteria style dining and their specialty was Tortiere, a Canadian pork pie.

deedee73
02-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Loved the orange juice strawberry concoction from the Poly restaurant that has since become the kids activity center. Remember this place from way back and of course the very dressy Top of the World where I had to "act like the young lady I was dressed as." Only restaurant that requires tie & dinner jacket at the time.

crazygoalie39
02-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I miss Concourse Steakhouse. We loved that place.

Scar
02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Second, we love Akershus the way it is now! I love the salad bar (with so much more than salad), and the menu is pretty good. Did the menu change with the addition of princesses? Or are you guys just not happy with there being princesses (and all that comes with it...long lines/reservations hard to get, etc.)?Much changed. Menu, full buffet, being able to walk up... I'll admit, the one time I have been there since the change, my nieces and nephew (first time I believe) loved it and the princess's interaction was good, but everything else was anywhere from worse, to non existent then before.

epcot linnie
04-08-2015, 06:23 PM
There used to be a sit down Restaurant at Port Orleans FQ. We ate there about 20 years ago

Speedy1998
04-09-2015, 12:28 PM
The Odyssey at Epcot is the biggest mystery to me. Good burgers, sandwiches and other offerings and a nice place to get out of the summer heat. Why it has been shuttered for so long in such a prominent location makes no sense.

I have always heard that it suffered from small crowds.

wdwfansince75
04-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Since most of our early visits were to the Contemporary, we loved the Terrace Buffeteria...which was replaced by Concourse Steakhouse...Also, the Pueblo Room, which served steaks...later, became part of the Terrace Café, which morphed into Chef Mickey's....Top of the World had a great Sunday buffet...and served a breakfast most mornings...We also enjoyed the Fiesta Fun Center/Food and Fun Center, on the convenient ground floor location...where Wave is now...

We did one vacation at Poly...The Coral Isle Café served a delightful lunch...morphed into Kona Café, with a different (but still delightful) menu. Also recall Minnie's Menehune Breakfast at the Papeete Bay Veranda...Think the PBV was the main restaurant back then.

Also recall Town Square Café (became Tony's later)...decent menu, but not our favorite place...do recall a great breakfast there..not sure whether it was Tony's by then.

We did like the Teriyaki burger at Adventureland Terrace. We've had several family discussions on whether they originally served the burgers there, or whether that was an early 80's add...as a family group, we usually used the Plaza Pavilion for rendezvous, food, and rest. They did serve burgers and pizza's there. Also, when we stayed at the CR, we usually went back to the resort for lunch and rest...and returned to MK after dinner...usually at the Buffeteria...

mechanic
04-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Great thread.
Mcdonalds fry cart.

tundramom
04-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Not sure of the name, but when I was a kid (76-78 ish) there was a buffet in the Contemporary that had the best 7 layer chocolate cake. I remember sitting down in the concourse area and watching the monorail go through. I know it was so good that we ate there on several nights during our stay at the Poly (in the days before you had to plan everything). My mom was in the restaurant business and had her own high end catering company, so anyplace that warranted 2 visits within a week was pretty memorable.

faline
04-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Not sure of the name, but when I was a kid (76-78 ish) there was a buffet in the Contemporary that had the best 7 layer chocolate cake.

Maybe you're thinking of the Terrace Buffeteria??

Sylvia
04-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Crystal Palace when it was a buffeteria, serving all meals cafeteria-style, with cloth napkins and metal utensils. It was one of our favorite places and was always a must-do on every trip.

Odyssey was ways busy, but due to its size and layout, it was never overwhelming as other CS locations. We always included a visit to Odyssey in every trip. Still wish they would "bring it back to life".

The Electric Umbrella used to be Stargate and we always stopped here for breakfast when we didn't eat at our resort.

The current Starbucks in EPCOT is located in what was several places. Originally, there was a CS called Sunrise Terrace, which then became Pasta Piazza Ristorante and Fountainview Espresso and Bakery. Pasta Piazza closed and the bakery was replaced with ice cream.

Katzateer
04-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Crystal Palace when it was a buffeteria, serving all meals cafeteria-style, with cloth napkins and metal utensils. It was one of our favorite places and was always a must-do on every .

We ate there in 1975 on our honeymoon! We split a plate of spagetti and meatballs and thought it was very expensive (lol). It was beautiful and loved being able to go back with our kids 20 years later. :)

tundramom
04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Maybe you're thinking of the Terrace Buffeteria??
I was wondering if this was it? i have just snips of memories, but distinctly remember it being in the concourse area (big, open space) being able to look down on it from the monorail platforms, seeing the monorail, and really, really remember the cake:cloud9:

azcavalier
04-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Great thread.
Mcdonalds fry cart.

Thanks. Occasionally I start a good one. My all time favorite though is "Hidden Bathrooms".

wdwfansince75
04-13-2015, 09:42 AM
I was wondering if this was it? i have just snips of memories, but distinctly remember it being in the concourse area (big, open space) being able to look down on it from the monorail platforms, seeing the monorail, and really, really remember the cake:cloud9:

Definitely the Terrace Buffeteria...DMiL raved about that cake! Special memories from our first trip, in 75.

wdwfansince75
04-13-2015, 09:48 AM
We ate there in 1975 on our honeymoon! We split a plate of spagetti and meatballs and thought it was very expensive (lol). It was beautiful and loved being able to go back with our kids 20 years later. :)

...Also remember when the Plaza Restaurant served Spaghetti and Meatballs...think it was about 81...DS#2 was about 5, and wouldn't eat anything...until we found the S & M at the Plaza...Suspect that meal may be the reason he remains a Disney fanatic to this day!

ThanxForNoticin
04-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Agreed. Also, Tangaroa Terrace at the Poly where Tonga Toast originated.

Wow, I hadn't thought about Tangaroa Terrace in many, many years. You are so right about the Tonga Toast - such a great memory - and breakfast!!

I really enjoyed this post!

mechanic
04-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks. Occasionally I start a good one. My all time favorite though is "Hidden Bathrooms".

I remember that!

mymickeymouse
04-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Did i read somewhere that cosmic rays is closed?:thedolls:

Checkers
04-16-2015, 07:16 PM
We loved Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer island. We looked forward to having lunch there at least once during our vacation. The sandwiches and milkshakes were delicious!

azcavalier
04-17-2015, 09:44 AM
We loved Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer island. We looked forward to having lunch there at least once during our vacation. The sandwiches and milkshakes were delicious!

I read that this was re-opened recently, for at least a short time. I'd love to try it. Unfortunately, it's scheduled to be closed again by the time we go back. Since we usually go "off season", most of the seasonal places are closed. I've never eaten at the Tomorrowland Terrance or Tortuga Tavern. One day!

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Even though Boatwright's is still there, I miss breakfast ... it was soo yummy!

And, although I don't miss it, I remember Restaurantosaurus (or spelled something like that) at AK ... breakfast buffet for lunch and McDonald's for lunch. I thought it was so silly at the time, but I bet many a parent was delighted for a picky kid.