PDA

View Full Version : POR or POFQ?

crazygoalie39
02-11-2015, 07:47 PM
We've been planning on staying at POR for our next trip, but have been hearing a lot of great things about POFQ lately and has got me questioning what we're going to book when we get our tax return. The last time we went to look around these resorts was in 2008 and really liked the peaceful vibe we got from POR and POFQ seemed a little more hectic and POR was prettier. So which do you prefer and why?

Capt_redshirt
02-11-2015, 08:58 PM
I prefer POFQ. I understand where you are coming from about it feeling more hectic but i think that has a lot to do with it being much smaller the POR. I find both resort quiet but it could be the time of year i tend to go

garymacd
02-11-2015, 09:34 PM
We like POFQ as well. The intimate size of the resort is the main draw. Everything in short walking distance, one bus stop, not four, or seven as they have at CBR, jazz music, beignets, the Big Easy feel and architecture, a dragon in the pool! How can you go wrong?

Don't get me wrong our very close second choice is POR.

Kairi_7378
02-11-2015, 10:35 PM
My husband prefers POR. He found it to be very quiet and peaceful. I was not a fan of the decor.

I prefer the architecture of POFQ and liked the layout of the resort a little better. I did not find it to be loud at all. (Other than for the party atmosphere when I went for my coffee one morning... the cast members were very lively!)

We would stay at either resort again, though.

Zippy 1
02-11-2015, 11:38 PM
We are for POFQ. We loved it. It was quiet and close to everything. We could go over to POR anytime we wanted. We loved the nightly music to relax and have an end of the day drink. Over all this is our favorite place to stay:number1:

Sylvia
02-12-2015, 01:58 AM
POR is our choice. We love the theming and think the food court is one of the best of all Disney resorts .

Checkers
02-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Another vote for POFQ for all the reasons mentioned. We also love the boat to DTD!

Ms. Mode
02-12-2015, 08:47 AM
I know that several people really love POFQ, but we stayed there ONCE, and it is my least favorite of any resort. We will not stay there again.

The buses were strange, they were never on the same route...ever! Sometime you would go to POR, sometimes you would go straight to a park, etc.

Once we were in the resort shop and my DH asked the lady working there where to find something and she looked at another lady working there and said, "This is why I hate working in this resort, people are always asking me questions."

We had other issues, and I don't normally dis anything Disney, I just really didn't like anything about this resort except the boat ride to DTD.

We have, however, discussed staying at POR sometime. :blush:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-12-2015, 09:32 AM
We just did 9 nights at POR two weeks ago, we love the resort and have stayed at both.

Even though people complain about the size of POR, it actually feels more intimate because of how spread out it is. I loved my walks in the morning or late evening and you never felt like you were in a crowd.

POR definitely, hands down, has the better pool (if that matters) and has quiet pools.

POR has the River Roost lounge and I believe Wed-Saturdays has YeeHaw Bob Jackson performing, and he is hilarious, a great entertainer. I've never heard a single bad review about him.

POR has a bigger and better foodcourt and had sit down dining option (Boatwrights).

POR I think has a bigger gift shop.

I just find POR to boast more options and it can accomodate 5, which is a must for us.

azcavalier
02-12-2015, 09:42 AM
What Ghost said. We love POR, but for us it's a no brainer, as we have a family of 5. However, my son is getting ready to head off on a mission and then college. So, we'll soon fit in a room for four. That's bittersweet.

However, he'll be heading out west to college....so we can arrange to meet him at Disneyland! Woot!

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-12-2015, 10:11 AM
We are for POFQ. We loved it. It was quiet and close to everything. We could go over to POR anytime we wanted. We loved the nightly music to relax and have an end of the day drink. Over all this is our favorite place to stay:number1:

That's our thought too. We love POFQ, and love POR. When we just want to relax and hang out, we love the small size and theming of POFQ. When we want to take advantage of the larger resort, the gift shop, etc. it is a quick hop over to POR. Best of both worlds!

luvkatiebug
02-12-2015, 10:21 AM
We also like both, but chose FQ for its smaller size. We are going in July and anything that will help us with the crowds is welcome. :mickey:

mickeyman42
02-12-2015, 02:39 PM
we have stayed at both and prefer POFQ. we don't like the size of the other moderates (CBR, CSR, POR) and enjoy how at POFQ the main area isn't far away no matter what building you are put in. we also preferred the food court area at POFQ, but I can't seem to remember why.

brownie
02-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Only 1 pool at French Quarter and fewer food options. You can use the pools at Riverside. Riverside would probably get my vote between the two.

Scallywag
02-12-2015, 08:25 PM
French Quarter for us. It can be a long walk to the food court @ POR. We usually go in June and I would rather not be sweating at breakfast. I will say POR has a much bigger / better food court and it does have quiet pools. Everything else goes to FQ.

Tinkerbella16
02-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Love them both but I give the edge to POFQ for its smaller size. It may seem hectic but even when the resort is booked to capacity (I was told it was when we went in Nov) you'd never even know it because it is so quiet and peaceful. The pool area is a little loud but that was about it. I love the cobblestone streets throughout FQ and close proximity no matter where your room is.

Riverside is also great and relaxing. I loved the Royal Rooms A LOT! If I stay there again, it has to be in a royal room. The amenities are at Riverside like boat and bike rentals, horse carriage rides, etc. The walk to POR from FQ is literally 10 minutes down the path. POR has a table service restaurant- never eaten there though. And I love that both resorts have boat transportation to DTD... it is a really nice touch. :mickey:

tjstrike
02-18-2015, 06:46 PM
We stayed at POR before we joined DVC, liked the pool and the dining options but wasn't a fan of the rooms.

catasaid
02-23-2015, 08:12 AM
We like both of these resorts but prefer French Quarter. Since we only wanted to stay in the Mansions section at PO, we always had to pay for a prefered room. But since FQ is smaller, there aren't any prefered rooms...only different prices by view (water,garden, etc.). Also, I think the bus routes are better at FQ. For the most part the buses only did pick up/drop off at the one bus stop. At certain times those stops included PO, but not usually. At PO, there are always multiple stops on every bus trip. Staying at either resort is great because you can use both resorts, no matter which resort you room is at.

Melanie
02-23-2015, 09:27 AM
You'll get lots of love for FQ on these boards, but like Ms. Mode, it's my least favorite resort. Yes, I'll stay at All-Stars before I'd stay at FQ. Decor is super creepy to me, from the pool to the food court, and I while some love the smaller property, I'm all about spread out and more of everything. More pools, more restaurants, etc.

That said, I love Riverside. Looking forward to the day we can stay in a Royal Room again.

paragon
02-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Its POR for us. I love the layout and wandering pathways. We visited FQ but I was not a fan of anything I saw there. Quiet pools at POR are great, and the main pool is on an island, which kind of keeps it less hectic all around. Love the food court, and the overall feel. Its always my vote to stay at POR. We did Coronado Springs once and it wasn't "home", I think that vacation has been blocked out of my memory as all I can recall is thinking " this place just doesn't feel right". I got the same feeling walking around POFQ.
Can't wait til September.......

tnpoohbear
02-23-2015, 03:31 PM
We have stayed at both, but only once at POR and it was nice we stayed in the mansion buildings. But we have stayed at POFQ three times and absolutely love it! It is smaller and easier to get around. Just very quaint. At either resort you can take the boat ride to DTD which we also loved.

We did like the food better a POFQ. The beignets are wonderful!:mickey:

garymacd
03-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Actually, I have to change my mind on loving POFQ more than POR.

POR is much nicer. There are more rooms, different style of rooms, better selections on the menu, etc.

There. That should leave more room for me at POFQ when we go down.

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Crow
03-03-2015, 08:22 PM
:haha:
Actually, I have to change my mind on loving POFQ more than POR.

POR is much nicer. There are more rooms, different style of rooms, better selections on the menu, etc.

There. That should leave more room for me at POFQ when we go down.

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)
i liked POFQ better too most times, smaller etc...although last time there was an issue at checkin due to them being full.. i stayed more recently at POR and it wasnt bad