PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Cinderelley
02-09-2015, 12:27 AM
I haven't been to WDW in a few years. I know there's a new fastpass system where you book your fastpasses ahead of time. As you may or may not have seen in other threads, I am taking a friend with a life threatening illness this May. We are staying at AKL, because I am anticipating spending a lot of time resting at the resort. With that said, any advice on scheduling our fastpasses since I won't know ahead of time when he will need to rest? I feel like I'm stuck in a catch 22. I don't want to wear him out by spending hours waiting in line, because I didn't get fastpasses. I also don't want to book a fastpass that we won't use, because he was too tired and we went back to the hotel.
I was never a fan of this idea, and this situation isn't helping any.

Capt_redshirt
02-09-2015, 12:52 AM
I think FP+ might be not the best option for you. you may want to see about DAS program and see if they could accommodate your needs

Disney4us2
02-09-2015, 04:32 AM
I would try to get the FP+ for earlier in the day, and take a break at the resort in the afternoon . Also if he can get the DAS, it can be used along with the FP. I would ask him what part of the day he is at his best. Is he a morning person, or does he like to sleep in? That way you could plan your FP to fit his normal routine.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-09-2015, 09:08 AM
FP+ could be a good thing for you. Does your friend have a regular schedule? (I know, when you're not well, it isn't about a regular schedule) I'm thinking that if he's usually "better" in the morning, schedule your FP+ then, so you know you'll get on three rides that you both want to do. If afternoons are better, after a quiet morning, schedule them for them, or maybe for the evening.

It isn't perfect, but it might help, since you could have a quiet morning, head into the parks later in the day and still get some "big" rides done without the big wait.

Cinderelley
02-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I know he is up at 3 or 4 am (he lives on the east coast, so we can't do any rides then). He has difficulty sleeping. Then he may or may not take a nap after an hour or two. At 8 am, he takes his meds, which make him pretty nauseated for a while. I think I'll schedule one fast pass for late morning when he isn't so sick from his meds. Not sure about early afternoon, but I know he is active again in the evenings. I think I'll schedule another fastpass for a little before our dinner ADRS. Then he'll kind've be resting at dinner and can hopefully last long enough to see the fireworks. Anything we get on top of that is a bonus. The trip is mostly about getting to spend some time with him and to get him out of the house. He can't drive himself anywhere, so I think getting out will be good for his spirits.

I have used the Guest Assistance Card in the past for myself. I am not sure what the DAS is. I will have to look into that more when I get a chance.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-09-2015, 12:30 PM
One thing that does work well with the FP is that if you are finding that the scheduled time does not work, you can go on the MDE app and make a change to a later FP time or a new FP. Obviously there are downsides to this, it won't work with premiere attractions (Toy Story, 7dmtr, Soaring, all the biggies) as they almost guaranteed will all be scooped up, but I would think that booking morning FP would give you more options for making changes. Late evening changes can be done, but there will be very limited availability and few rides to choose from.

BrowncatP
02-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Make sure you also check the activities schedule for the AKL. There are some interesting things to do at the AKL every day.

LVT
02-09-2015, 08:27 PM
It sounds like you could benefit from the use of the FP and the DAS. Read up on the new DAS a little. It may help keep your friend from overexertion. Keep on planning.