PDA

View Full Version : Luigi's Flying Tires Closing 02/16/15- becoming Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters 03/07/16

Melanie
02-06-2015, 11:23 AM
From Disney Parks Blog:

Luigi’s Flying Tires to Become All-New Experience at Disney California Adventure Park

Ever since Cars Land opened at Disney California Adventure park in 2012, it has been a huge success. This new land immerses guests in the world of “Cars” and makes them feel like they are standing in the town of Radiator Springs. We’ve heard from our guests that the cars themselves are one of the things they really love about Cars Land – and today I’m excited to tell you about a project that will bring even more four-wheeled fun.

At the end of the operating day on February 16, 2015, Luigi’s Flying Tires will close as our favorite Fiat departs for a vacation to his home country of Italy to visit with family. When he returns, his Casa della Tires will reopen as a completely new attraction in early 2016. The attraction will feature a new ride system and ride vehicles. We are excited to tell you more about this ride technology, so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for updates as work progresses.

cer
02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
This is great news!

I loved the theme and the queue, but that attraction was weak.

So weak.

Melanie
02-06-2015, 11:36 AM
This is great news!

I loved the theme and the queue, but that attraction was weak.

So weak.

Yes! The first line should read:

"Ever since Cars Land opened at Disney California Adventure park in 2012, it has been a huge success - with the exception of Luigi's Flying Tires." ;)

BrerGnat
02-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Oooh, might this be the debut of the trackless ride vehicles here in the U.S.? Or a version of it, considering they are calling it "new".

Melanie
02-06-2015, 11:54 AM
That would be AWESOME, Nat!

cer
02-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Yes! The first line should read:

"Ever since Cars Land opened at Disney California Adventure park in 2012, it has been a huge success - with the exception of Luigi's Flying Tires." ;)

So true. ;)

Would love to see a trackless system! I'm on board for that! :thumbsup:

2Epcot
02-06-2015, 01:29 PM
I've only been on the old ride twice since Cars Land opened. I've lost count of how many times I've been on Mater's tractor and Radiator Springs Racers.

The ride never caught on, or worked the way they wanted. From the beginning they seemed to know it was a failure, thus added the large beach balls, so people had something to do. So I guess this is the second time a hover ride didn't last long at Disneyland Resort.

They spent a lot of money on those 3 or 4 large blowers installed for the ride system. Wonder what will happen to those if they don't need them anymore.

Hopefully the new ride will work well. Glad to see them fixing stuff that wasn't quite right. Similar to the fixes they did on the Little Mermaid ride after it had been open for a while.

tinkwest
02-06-2015, 05:55 PM
This is welcome news. I never had the desire to go on Luigi's Flying Tires but other members of the family have tried it and they all gave it a thumbs down.

I just said to my DS, "I never did go on this ride. I guess I should have tried it once."
He said, "Did you ever sit in a chair? It is the same experience as Luigi's Flying Tires."
So . . . guess I'm not missing anything.

Happy they are switching it out and not just shutting that little area down.

cer
02-06-2015, 08:56 PM
This is welcome news. I never had the desire to go on Luigi's Flying Tires but other members of the family have tried it and they all gave it a thumbs down.

I just said to my DS, "I never did go on this ride. I guess I should have tried it once."
He said, "Did you ever sit in a chair? It is the same experience as Luigi's Flying Tires."

That is so funny....and so TRUE!

Disney4us2
02-07-2015, 12:45 AM

Lol On what your DS said about the chair. It wasn't my favorite. Was lucky to get it to move at all.

Wish we were still there to see the new changes.:(

Disney_pups2
02-08-2015, 01:43 AM
Personally this just frustrates me because we are leaving for our trip and the kids' first trip the 21st and there is already too much closed. So frustrating!!! :mad:

MNNHFLTX
02-08-2015, 05:34 PM
I've been on this ride just once and it was hilarious, or shall I say it was probably hilarious watching us try to move the vehicle?? Lol. It was fun to do once, but yes, the actual ride did not function at all like it was supposed to. :crazy:

Hopefully they will get a more state-of-the art attraction this time around. A trackless system would be great.

cer
02-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Personally this just frustrates me because we are leaving for our trip and the kids' first trip the 21st and there is already too much closed. So frustrating!!! :mad:

While I understand your frustration for the many closures, this particular one should not cause you any heartache. I am being most sincere. If you want to experience this ride, no joke - sit in a large chair with your loved one and lean way over to your right and to your left. Do that for about 2 minutes going virtually nowhere and you will have the exact same ride experience as my daughter and I did in September 2014.

True. story.

Disney_pups2
02-10-2015, 01:33 AM
Carrie,
Thank you, You made my day with a chuckle and a smile. I don't feel so bad now! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
02-10-2015, 08:23 AM
We actually liked this ride but it was probably because MOST of the other tires didn't go anywhere and we got a lot of space to "fly". It was fun but obviously most people never could get the hang of the movement. We were one adult and one kid each and got them going pretty good.

MNDisney Dad
09-03-2015, 11:02 AM
With the winds in Anaheim, I can see why this ride did not catch on. The couple of times I was there, most of the tires were being blown to one area because of the winds. We also had a very difficult time getting the tires to go anywhere but where the wind took us.

BrerGnat
11-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Anyone heard any news about this ride? Opening date?

Jack Skellington
11-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Bump? Any further news?

BrerGnat
11-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Bump? Any further news?

Seems not. The CMs in Cars Land don't even know (or they aren't telling). I asked one last time I was at the park.

BrerGnat
12-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Just found out that the ride should be open before the end of December!

tinkwest
12-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Wait. What? Wow!

BrerGnat
12-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Wait. What? Wow!

Yep. I read on Twitter that the ride will be approved for operation in about 10 days, and the goal is to have it open before Christmas.

Yungbuck73
12-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Yep. I read on Twitter that the ride will be approved for operation in about 10 days, and the goal is to have it open before Christmas.

What is the ride going to be??

BrerGnat
12-29-2015, 12:41 AM
It is "cars dancing." Essentially, it's a large turntable with cars moving about sort of randomly without a track.

BrerGnat
01-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Expected to open "late spring/early summer." Seems to be delayed.

tinkwest
02-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters will open March 7, 2016 according to Disney Parks Blog.

badkitty
02-26-2016, 01:04 AM
I was surprised to see it opening so soon. It looks really fun and unique. Can't wait!

BrerGnat
02-26-2016, 01:19 AM
I was surprised to see it opening so soon. It looks really fun and unique. Can't wait!

Guess it's true that CMs usually have no idea what they are talking about. LOL!

Yungbuck73
02-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Saw a video they released. Looks kinda cool. Hopefully lasts.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
02-26-2016, 01:43 PM
I hate to speak negatively, but after watching the video on the Disney Parks Blog, this attraction looks incredibly boring. I can see myself doing it once just to check it out, but it certainly doesn't look like a repeatable attraction. It sounds like some elements are randomized to give the guest a different experience each time, but I don't much care about having a different experience each time if each time is boring! Nevertheless, I will give it a try and maybe my perspective will change once I have experienced the attraction. My initial judgment is based on the video alone.

On the positive side, the ride Imagineering looks very cool, between the trackless system and the randomized aspects. The technological advances being incorporated into the parks are pretty amazing.

BrerGnat
02-26-2016, 04:24 PM
It is definitely not a thrilling attraction, but you know what, kids will LOVE it. Heck, my almost 10 year old is super excited to ride this next week. He loves Cars and is quite timid as far as rides go so he prefers these little rides. Not everything needs to be E-Ticket.

I thought Mater's looked incredibly boring in the video and it is a really fun ride. We ride it every time we go.

I like the "coordinated dance" aspect of this ride and think it will probably be pretty enjoyable.

tinkwest
02-27-2016, 01:58 PM
I am looking forward to trying it out. It just seems like fun.
Maybe it is my age and/or number of visits to the Parks, but I am happy to visit and experience fewer and tamer attractions than in years past.
And I'm with Natalie on the side note nod to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. I love it and always come off of the ride laughing.

BriarRose0708
03-16-2016, 09:09 AM
I can definitely see us riding this on repeat on our next trip. Our kids are not thrill ride kids so this will be right up their alley. Their dad and I can get a beer while they ride it!