PDA

View Full Version : Magic bands and metal detectors

johnw
01-30-2015, 04:44 PM
:mickey:Hello: Thanks everyone for the answers your giving me to my questions. We're still in the planning and info gathering stage. Crazy question I have is do families wear the bands on their way to Disney or pack them away til they get there? If they are worn do the metal detectors at airports do anything to them? Or is there not anything on them until you go to the hotel first?
Thanks. John :confused:

faline
01-30-2015, 05:01 PM
We didn't put ours on until we arrived in Orlando but the bands do go through security in our carry on luggage. There was no issue with them.

kakn7294
01-30-2015, 06:05 PM
I could be wrong because I haven't flown since the magic bands were instituted, but don't you need them for Magical Express?

Fangorn
01-30-2015, 06:41 PM
There's no issue with the magic bands and security at the airport. You do not need them for magical express. There is no actual data "on" the band. The band merely contains an RFID chip with a serial number stored in the hardware. All the real information - credit card, room, FP+, tickets, etc. are only stored on Disney's servers. The band just acts as the access code.

To render an RFID chip inoperable would require a lot more electromagnetic power than you'd ever find at an airport. And even were you to cross paths with rampaging aliens with microwave disrupter weapons, none of your real data would be lost: Disney could just assign a new code (magic band) and give it to your next of kin. ;)

Steve

NewDVCowner
01-30-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure if something has changed, or even if I NEEDED it for Magical Express, but when I went to WDW soon after they started using the magic bands I did need to scan it at the Magical Express check place.

faline
01-30-2015, 07:17 PM
I could be wrong because I haven't flown since the magic bands were instituted, but don't you need them for Magical Express?

Yes, they do look for the Magic Band at the Magical Express checkpoint which is why I pulled mine out when we reached Orlando. It is not required for Magical Express but it does expedite the process.

Checkers
01-31-2015, 03:32 PM
In Dec. we wore our Magic Bands and did scan them at the airport before we got on the ME bus. I don't think you need them to ride the bus but it makes it easier.